• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Fallout 3 thread of post-apocalyptic proportions!

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
Cocopjojo said:
I haven't bought the DLC yet... I'm guessing I should wait? It sounds like a lot of stuff is messed up.

I'm gonna wait, looks like there is more errors than just the achievement stuff :/

Damn you Bethesda! I was eager to play BS :(

AndresON777

shooting blanks
I think I got the achievements but I dont think it's adding the points to my gamerscore.

Anyway I'm digging broken steel. I love the new hellfire armor it looks fucking bad ass. I think they increased the difficulty though. I play on hard and I swear I'm taking more damage and enemies must have more HP because the plasma rifle and metal blaster (laser rifle/shottie from the pitt) arent doing as much damage as they used to do.

It dont really matter since I got like 150 stimpaks and fawkes but I'd like to know. Don't tell me the enemies scale to my level? lol

anyway leveling up is not that tough you get like 62 xp per kill. I got the perk where you get the sleeping at home xp bonus on any bed so that's helping a bit.

I'm looking forward to starting a new character because I pretty much had done everything before the level cap was raised. Shit even deathclaws are taking 3-4 hits from my alien blaster now. It's wild.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
dgenx said:
Would it be a better idea to buy the 3 DLC and start the game again with another character?

To us who already did everything :/

Doesn't this third DLC increase the level cap by 30? If so, I can't see why you would.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Could someone clarify this finishing-the-game business to me? I completed the game yesterday with close to L17.

It seems I can't use the "Continue" option to do missions, but instead I'll need to load up my last manual save, at the Citadel and start doing quests from before completing the game.

Is this the only way to do all the quests - not complete the game?

In terms of DLC, at which point should I then complete the game?

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
ICallItFutile said:
Doesn't this third DLC increase the level cap by 30? If so, I can't see why you would.

I was sying that cause I'm afraid Broken Steel alone will not be enough to get to level 30

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Put it on hard. Go to old olney and kill deathclaws. Each broken steel quest, I've only done 2, gives like 1400 xp or so.

Guess I should stop being a pussy and put it on very hard.

I'll prolly do a new character and be good, then switch to evil for the achievements. On my first play thru I started off as a terrible person, then I realized the error of my ways and became a good guy.

dgenx

ChrisGoldstein said:
Put it on hard. Go to old olney and kill deathclaws. Each broken steel quest, I've only done 2, gives like 1400 xp or so.

Guess I should stop being a pussy and put it on very hard.

I'll prolly do a new character and be good, then switch to evil for the achievements. On my first play thru I started off as a terrible person, then I realized the error of my ways and became a good guy.

Yeah I think starting a new character in very hard is the way to go. I really doubt puttin it on very hard will be enough t oget level 30 just with BS

AndresON777

shooting blanks
I just enjoy the combat a lot and using my big guns. I dont mind walking around and killin' folks until I level up.

The advantage of starting a new game is that you get the whole game (lol) from the beginning as opposed to this shit they've put us through. 90 dollars for the whole game and I had to wait 7 months! thanks M$!!!

neoism said:
I know I'll keep them, but does the X/1200 change to X/1350?

yeah, you won't go over and have it be something like 1300/1200. When it happened to me on the pitt after I got a pitt achievement all pitt achievements were there air.

So I've downloaded the DLC but haven't done the quest yet due to the achievement glitches.

But I'm wondering the wasteland...and I just encountered two albino radscorpions fighting a new enclave hellfire soldier.

When the two albino radscorpions killed him and started to turn their attention towards me...nearly shat myself. Their HP is HUGE.

ElyrionX

For those who have started the actual Broken Steel main quests, did the Wasteland change much as stated by Bethesda in the previews? I'm referring to the physical appearance of the wasteland because it's supposed to be
affected (improved?) by fresh water now being available
. Or is it just the same old Wasteland as before?

stressboy

ElyrionX said:
For those who have started the actual Broken Steel main quests, did the Wasteland change much as stated by Bethesda in the previews? I'm referring to the physical appearance of the wasteland because it's supposed to be

I haven't done any of the actual quests yet, but so far everything looks the same.

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
Lucky I was able to use my download history to get a working copy of Broken Steel on PC, I wonder whats taking them so long to put it back up.

burgerdog

Chittagong said:
Is this the only way to do all the quests - not complete the game?

Without Broken Steel? Yes.

Chittagong said:
In terms of DLC, at which point should I then complete the game?

If you have Broken Steel just finish the game whenever you feel like it, you'll be able to continue your game and finish whatever you missed.

I can't believe how disappointed I am with the new perks. Pretty much every character will probably end up the same. I was hoping for something like increased range for melee/unarmed VATS attacks. Accuracy boost for long range VATS sniping. Mysterious Stranger gets a Fatboy. Paralyzing Palm gets an upgrade and kills instantly instead of paralyzing.

There's so much they could have done but we get stupid shit. They probably should have raised the skill cap to 150 too.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
ElyrionX said:

3 dog talks about fresh water coming soon to you thanks to proejct purity succeeding. Also you'll run into these bottled waters called aqua pura. It's like an aquafina bottle or something. I havnt noticed any other changers other than the occasional hellfire enclave soldiers. They have different armor and use this super flame thrower gun. It seems to break after I kill them so I havnt gotten to use it. I've only done 2 of the quests for broken steel though. I'm just wandering around trying to level up with my homie fawkes.

It's not a gtaIV TLAD type reskin from what I've seen so far.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
ChrisGoldstein said:
3 dog talks about fresh water coming soon to you thanks to proejct purity succeeding. Also you'll run into these bottled waters called aqua pura. It's like an aquafina bottle or something. I havnt noticed any other changers other than the occasional hellfire enclave soldiers. They have different armor and use this super flame thrower gun. It seems to break after I kill them so I havnt gotten to use it. I've only done 2 of the quests for broken steel though. I'm just wandering around trying to level up with my homie fawkes.

It's not a gtaIV TLAD type reskin from what I've seen so far.

There's a few differences I've noticed, I encounter Brahmin carrying the water on their back now. There's also a few sidequests, when I went to the underworld there's a ghoul trying to sell water and it starts a quest I didn't do much yet with.

I think there's a few different flamethrowers now, and there's a new type of radscorprion, feral ghoul, super mutant, enclave, etc. which all make the game harder.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Thanks burgerdog. I'm now 18, so I'll probably try and get two more levels before I'll get Broken Steel. And to think I'm renting the game!

Jaagen

Deacan said:
Lucky I was able to use my download history to get a working copy of Broken Steel on PC, I wonder whats taking them so long to put it back up.

I have no idea. And the people on Bethesdas forums seems clueless as well. Everything we know is that "they're working on it". I hope we'll get it before friday.

Mooreberg

Puppies doesn't do anything if you have Fawkes as your companion right? I just elected to take the sleep perk since it will get some XP faster. Cool DLC so far, they should have released this first, or raised the cap level starting with Operation Anchorage.

Mesijs

For some reason I'm still convinced this will make it's way to PS3 sometime. Maybe I'm just optimistic, but a man has got to have hope...

MrTroubleMaker

Gold Member
Jamesfrom818 said:
They changed it? I didn't notice. I did think it was strange when I was able to put it in storage.
I noticed the dmg value was different in the pip-boy, so i looked into it a little further

before
2dlisd0.jpg

after
11v1o2r.jpg

Tobor

Those new ghouls are beastly. Other than the mask, which I don't have, what weapon should I be using? The Terrible Shotgun doesn't even dent them! :lol

Tobor said:
Those new ghouls are beastly. Other than the mask, which I don't have, what weapon should I be using? The Terrible Shotgun doesn't even dent them! :lol

You can pickpocket ghouls right? Just plant grenades on them.

Tobor

Jamesfrom818 said:
You can pickpocket ghouls right? Just plant grenades on them.

There's a point in Broken Steel where that isn't going to be an option. :lol

EDIT: I could slip by them with a stealth boy though. Thanks!

Tobor

Jamesfrom818 said:
Even with the Chinese Stealth Suit or a Stealth Boy? I guess I'll just find out tonight.

That will probably work. I don't want to spoil anything for you, but, yeah, carry a stealth boy or 2 with you.

MrTroubleMaker

Gold Member
Tobor said:
the metal blaster seems to be working well for me, I get critical hits a lot of time with it, its spread is less if you use it out of VATS

Mooreberg

How the hell do I get to "utility" area near the White House? Above ground or using the sewers just leads to some irradiated rubble pile with a Paladin just to the right of it.

neoism

Tobor said:
Gauss them in tha face

Tobor

MrTroubleMaker said:
the metal blaster seems to be working well for me, I get critical hits a lot of time with it, its spread is less if you use it out of VATS

I'm going to turn tail and head back to my inventory, so I'll pick that up when I'm there.

I'm also going to take that Nuka Cola Quantum perk so I can stock up on Nuka Grenades.

neoism said:
Gauss them in tha face

There's no way to repair it. :(

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Why won't any of my companions rejoin with me? I have the Puppies perk and it almost seems like that's the thing stopping them from joining, but since he always respawns I don't what I could do.

Just started again since the level uncap happened. I get the feeling that I'm going to be running out of useful perks pretty quickly. Enjoying the pitt so far. I may take this as an opportunity to beef some of my already 8 or 9 SPECIALS up to 10 before I hit level 30 and "almost perfect".

I have a question regarding returning to an area in Broken Steel, spoiler tagged just in case:

After you take the Vertibird back to the Citadel to finish the last mission, can you return to the Air Base? There was a marker on my radar there that i didn't go to, and by the time i realised i hadn't been there i was on top watching the orbital strike and couldn't go back. I was planning on going back and seeing what it is, but don' want to go all the way back through the underground just to find out its inaccessible.

Top Bottom