• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Final Fantasy IV DS Thread

Aeana

Red Scarlet said:
woot, Cagnazzo down. He was easier than Scarmiglione. I did level up Cecil for awhile at Mt. Ordeals though.

What did you do to win? Did you just use regular thunder to get rid of his barrier?
Until it dawned on me that each spell has its own charge time, I lost pretty badly against him since he'd use his tsunami before the thunder spell went off. :(

That's where I realized that all of the actions have their own charge times (for some reason, I didn't realize it before then). Pretty cool.

LowParry

I need some help with the wind fiend chick. I can't beat the bitch. Suggestions? My characters are sitting just above lvl 30.

Aeana

CcrooK said:
I need some help with the wind fiend chick. I can't beat the bitch. Suggestions? My characters are sitting just above lvl 30.

Cast slow. Equip the poison claw on Yang, and only attack with him after using charge up. Have Kain jump and do nothing but. Also make sure to put up protect/shell... after that, just be patient. Don't try to do a lot of damage at once.

LowParry

Aeana said:
Cast slow. Equip the poison claw on Yang, and only attack with him after using charge up. Have Kain jump and do nothing but. Also make sure to put up protect/shell... after that, just be patient. Don't try to do a lot of damage at once.

Will do. I'll give it a try here in a little bit.

Red Scarlet

Aeana said:
What did you do to win? Did you just use regular thunder to get rid of his barrier?
Until it dawned on me that each spell has its own charge time, I lost pretty badly against him since he'd use his tsunami before the thunder spell went off. :(

That's where I realized that all of the actions have their own charge times (for some reason, I didn't realize it before then). Pretty cool.

I fought Cagnazzo like in the old version, pretty much. I just fought with Cecil and Yang, who had an Ice Claw and Thunder Claw. Palom used the 'int x2' thing then Thundara (I guess Blizzara is what he's weak to now?), Porom used Cura (I should've used the defense down thing but I didn't), and Tellah just hang around ready to use his Thunder Staff when the 'water barrier!' message popped up. It only happened twice if I remember right, but Tellah used his Thunder Staff before a Tsunami ever came out. Tellah got put to sleep a lot though.

In IRC Aeana asked me to post what I did on the Dark Dragon/Dark Elf since that's right where I am now (I just ran from enemies on the way). The first time, I tried to keep everyone alive and then died. So for the second time, I equipped armor that had more magic defense, but I think I got damaged more? Cid and Yang both died from Dark Breath or whatever each try.

What I did for the second try was Cecil and Cid attacked, Tellah waited for a spell to hit everyone then Cura'd it, and Yang charged up three times, then just waited for the Dark Elf to change to the Dragon form then he attacked and died. Cid died too. Tellah cast Slow on the Dark Dragon right away.

So it was just Cecil and Tellah. It looks like the Dark Dragon alternates from a physical attack then breath, over and over. I cast Protect on both characters but it didn't seem to do much. Cecil attacked, and since only two people were alive, Tellah would just cast Cura to refill Cecil and himself after the breath attack. Tellah cast Haste on Cecil, which I think saved me when Tellah got a critical hit and died; I got a PD and High Potion out by Cecil before the breath attack. So that's pretty much what I did to the Dark Dragon; Yang did an attack after charging up three times, then Cecil attacked while Tellah used Cura on himself and Cecil after using Slow at the start.

I really want to buy a Mithril Armor for Cid, but it's just too expensive. On to Zot!

Red Scarlet

Hm, Aeana did a 'wtf take' when I mentioned a chest with 50,000 gil at Toroia..so I guess make sure you guys get it. Somewhat makes up for the nerfed gil from enemies for awhile.

I found a Mithril Knife, Mithril Staff, and Maiden's Kiss at the mithril town..but not 5000 gil. Did anyone find that?

Aeana

Red Scarlet said:
Hm, Aeana did a 'wtf take' when I mentioned a chest with 50,000 gil at Toroia..so I guess make sure you guys get it. Somewhat makes up for the nerfed gil from enemies for awhile.

I found a Mithril Knife, Mithril Staff, and Maiden's Kiss at the mithril town..but not 5000 gil. Did anyone find that?

I'm pretty sure I got the gil there... I couldn't tell you where at this point, though. :\

And yeah... I'm about 90% sure I never got 50,000 gil in Troia.

Red Scarlet

CcrooK, are you still stuck at the wind lady? I just beat her, but my levels are higher than yours (I fought at Mt. Ordeals until Cecil hit mid-20's and am trying to get a complete bestiary). After one try where I got destroyed, I went slower and beat her with no difficulty. Here's what I did:

First off, when you use Slow, she counters with Maelstrom. So hold up first. I had Cecil cast Protect (not sure if it was necessary) on the party and Rosa cast Shell on the party. Yang used a Hermes Shoes on himself (Rosa didn't have Haste yet); if you don't have any, there are a couple at Baron on the right side area. There's also still an Elixir right before the real king's room (its on the floor right above it; search the torch on the left to find the Elixir).

Then, I cast Slow on her and had Cecil and Rosa heal everyone back up, then I just waited for the boss to change to her wind form while Yang (equipped with a Thunder Claw and Hell Claw) charged up three times. Thunder isn't her weakness in this, so whatever + a Hell Claw will do.

Ok, after Yang had 3 charges, I had Cain jump, then waited for him to land. If a lightning counter came out, Cecil and Rosa used Cura to fill everyone's HP back up, then Yang attacked and did about 2800 damage to her. Then I just held up and had Yang charge up 3 times again, curing the stone thing if anyone got hit by it, then waited for her to change to the tornado form again and had Cain jump, Rosa and Cecil healed everyone again if she countered, then had Yang attack again. I think after 3 or 4 of those, I won. No one died. Cid did nothing really (I made his hammer have thunder element, but Thunder isn't her weakness anymore there). Try that and you should win without much trouble.

The 50,000 gil is in the treasure area. When you go into the area after the dancer guard, there's 3 rooms. The 50,000 was in the room on the left I think.

LowParry

Red Scarlet said:
You mean Babel? I'm in there now..3 flame dog things killed me one time, but not anymore. :lol

Yeah. I'm rusty on the names. But know the game like the back of my hand. That damned doctor puts that curse/zombie type effect on ya. Can't even cure it. Just have to let it roll out.

Edit: Btw, what levels are your characters now?

Red Scarlet

I'm pretty sure my levels are higher than the average for other people (I should be in the last dungeon in the normal one at the levels I'm at). I decided to try what I normally do and get Cecil to level 20 at Mt. Ordeals as soon as he becomes a Paladin (was a bit tougher at first in this one since he was doing 11 damage, but I weakened badguys and got to level 9 in one fight). I think I winded up leaving at level 23 or so, and a couple of bosses after that (like the Dark Elf) not everyone survived. After I got Rosa, I think she was level 26 or so, and I went back to Mt. Ordeals to get Curada for her before going underground. I also had to go back and get a Sand Worm, Yellow Jelly, and Flood Worm (which took about a half hour to bump into) to fill out my bestiary, and I got the Eblana monsters as well as went through all of the castle before going underground and filled out what I could of the underworld map. So right now, my levels are:

Cain: 38
Rydia: 33
Cecil: 43
Rosa: 36
Yang: 41

I thought Yang was going to have a whole crapload of HP when he rejoined, but he didn't, the other party member's HP is way lower than what they should be. I don't know if I should use those max HP up items on Rydia or Rosa right now. It doesn't seem like experience for other characters works like it did in the original, or it was very toned down. So I levelled Cecil up a bunch for..Cecil.

LowParry

Kain: Lvl 38
Cecil: Lvl 39
Yang: Lvl 38
Rosa: Lvl 35
Rydia: Lvl 35

I've put the little extra hp items onto Rosa so that I can keep her alive more often to use Pray and keep Rydia's mp up with he spells. It's kind of a trade off between Cecil and Rosa with healing while I keep Yang and Kain on bosses. I might grind out another level for everyone then give the doctor another try.

Red Scarlet

Okay, now I know what's going on there. I need to time it right so I stop owning myself with Curada or heal him with it. I got it now..never was a big fan of Reverse in FF12. If you're stuck, CcrooK,
an Elixir does 9999 to Dr. Lugae when the Reverse Gas is going on.

Red Scarlet

Ah, he's pretty fun to fight when you understand it. I think I beat him about 4 times, then I didn't save and went to the fat chocobo..if you want a complete bestiary, it looks like you need to have Lugae and Balnab combine before fighting the last Lugae (4 monsters)..I had 175: Lugae, 176: Balnab, 177: ??????, and 178: Lugae in the list. I don't need to use an Elixir anymore; he's pretty easy. Thunder is what he's still weak against on the last form (and healing when Reverse Gas is on). On the last form, Yang charged up three times then waited for Reverse Gas to make things normal, then he attacked with a Thunder Claw and Fairy Claw and did 9800 to him.

I use ice+fire equipment on Cecil and Cain (one gets fire armor and ice shield, the other gets ice armor and fire shield, so they have have protection against both elements), but I made it so there was no ice equipment on, so I'd be weak to fire, so when Reverse Gas was going on, Rydia could cast Fira and it'd heal twice as much (not a lot still; only about 350).

So since I have to get the robot+dr combined enemy to appear, I get to fight them again. Oh well, I have a good time at that battle now.

LowParry

Red Scarlet said:
Okay, now I know what's going on there. I need to time it right so I stop owning myself with Curada or heal him with it. I got it now..never was a big fan of Reverse in FF12. If you're stuck, CcrooK,
an Elixir does 9999 to Dr. Lugae when the Reverse Gas is going on.

Geez. Are you serious? Hahaha. I must of done it the extremely hard way then. I'd wait till he cured it then continued on with the fight. I was stocked on phoenix downs. Probably used about 20 of them but managed to kill him. Hells bells.

Red Scarlet

Lost Fragment said:
Edge can't use the Mage Masher or claws anymore.

As for countering, that's a decant-only thing.

The game lets Edge equip it on mine..it's really weak though stat-wise, but I haven't used it yet. The Avenger is pretty nice..Cain has it, and he gets attacks off really fast and can keep his shield equipped too now. So far, the underground has been easier..Sylph Cave was really simple.

I thought I was out of luck with some monsters, but I've bumped into them all except for one so far..the Arachne. It looks like encounters were shuffled around, so I haven't bumped into one yet. Gloom Wings and Gorgons were by the underground town, iirc. I thought I was lucky to bump into a Green Dragon at Babel, but they're fightable in the SE corner anyway..and Yellow Dragons are fightable in the underworld too. Now, I'm just going to different parts of the underworld and trying some Alarms to bump into an Arachne.

Red Scarlet

I put it on Rydia, but I might switch to him. For Rydia, her attack goes down from 70 with the Chain Whip to 35, while Edge's would go down from 95 with the Full Moon to 85 with the Mage Masher (I guess its nice that a kikuichimonji is at the Sylph's room now..is there still one in the summon monster cave too?). The Ogre Killer seems really powerful after the Icebrand; Cecil does a lot more with it than the Break Blade that I got from a drop (never got one before).

Red Scarlet

lolwhut :lol

Leviathan was easy, RK. He only did big tsunami at the start of the fight, then died before he did it again. Ramuh did 5000+. I think my levels were around the same as his (Cain:54, Rydia: 52, Cecil: 56, Rosa: 54, Edge: 51). Disappointment total.

Oh, I'm not missing Arachne..that's the spider lady in the summon cave..I'm missing the green one, Araunea or something.

Red Scarlet

There she is!

Hm, well I died RIGHT after beating the third Behemoth (lots of HP but easy) from a Gold Dragon and Silver Dragon, so that was annoying. Gave Bahamut a try and beat him, but I don't think I beat him the 'right' way.

I cast Slow on him, which Bahamut then cast Reflect on himself, and I cast Dispel which removed the Slow and the Reflect, but Bahamut just reflected himself again. Then I just attacked, summoned Leviathan, and cast Flare when I had a party member reflected.

Mega Flare went off, and Cecil survived. I revived my other party members and continued the attack and won a few hits later. So if Slow actually works on reducing Bahamut's countdown, I could have won before Mega Flare.

What'd you guys do?

And Lost Fragment, I see what you mean about those Dark Wizards..but Stop is a wonderful spell. I always used it on the Moon Goddesses, but it works just fine against the DW's and some other badguys also.

On to the giant robot.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
I cast Slow on him, which Bahamut then cast Reflect on himself, and I cast Dispel which removed the Slow and the Reflect, but Bahamut just reflected himself again. Then I just attacked, summoned Leviathan, and cast Flare when I had a party member reflected.

Mega Flare went off, and Cecil survived. I revived my other party members and continued the attack and won a few hits later. So if Slow actually works on reducing Bahamut's countdown, I could have won before Mega Flare.

I got him before he was able to use Mega Flare using the same strategy, more or less. Only difference was that I was using decants, and was able to Haste/Reflect everyone quickly, and have Kain use Dark + Jump.

And Lost Fragment, I see what you mean about those Dark Wizards..but Stop is a wonderful spell. I always used it on the Moon Goddesses, but it works just fine against the DW's and some other badguys also.

Yeah, Stop was my bread and butter in the last dungeon. And where Stop doesn't work (Behemoths, Red Dragons) Hold usually will.

Red Scarlet

Oh, I still had the old guy when I got it. Currently I'm having trouble bumping into the big robot soldier and a Last Arm inside the big robot. :(

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Red Scarlet said:
Oh, I still had the old guy when I got it. Currently I'm having trouble bumping into the big robot soldier and a Last Arm inside the big robot. :(

What level are your guys at?

I had to turn back the first time I got to Bahamut since I forgot I skipped Leviathan beforehand. His Tidal Wave would wipe me as soon as the battle began :[

Red Scarlet

I was at low 60s-mid 60's at the end of the robot (65C,60E,62Ry,54F,62Ro). It's probably really high, but I was looking for all the badguys, didn't start escaping badguys until the Slyph Cave, got Cecil to 25 when he became a Paladin, and the badguys give so much xp now, so it's not too bad. Still going good with no decants, and I think I used one +50HP apple item; I have about +900HP in the inventory as I'm not sure who I want to give them to still and maybe it balances out the higher levels I have, I guess.

I beat Dark Bahamut, and he was really disappointing. Plague was easier too, and the Lunazaurus was interesting I guess, despite there being only one. Glad I bought a lot of panacea items though. About to try Tidalviathan and find some Pudding Princesses now.

edit
wow, still got the Pudding Princesses on the first try with an alarm..was afraid it'd take awhile with alarms just bringing up regular fights instead of the rare. Or did I get super lucky?

Bebpo

Banned
I finished it the other night and if I wasn't so busy with school I'd probably write quite a bit about the game because I think there's a lot to it, and most of it was done right.

Still, best art direction in a game since FFXII? Maybe even better. It's so unusual and nice to get a really badass/cool looking group of characters with great clothing and armor + cool looking villains as well. Really captured Amano's art in 3d more than anything has to date. Cutscene direction was also A+++

Really liked the 100% counter system of a lot of the bosses combined with the ATB system where the counters actually took up time and robbed the boss of turns. Just really liked the boss fights in general as some were extremely fun and up there with the best Megaten bosses.

I liked the difficulty, but I do think it was a little uneven with some vicious spikes. I'm pretty sure if you check my log of every rpg I've reviewed in the last 5-10 years I've never said I thought a game was "too hard" but I'll say that here, so in fact I'm saying this is the toughest rpg I've ever played and I've played a lot :p If I had to rate the difficulty on a scale of 1-10 I'd give it an 11/10 and I hope FFVr is more like 10.2/10. A slight scale back would be nice, luck plays a little more of a factor in major boss fights than I'd like. Plus the whole "during boss fights every hit from a boss kills the person" thing was sort of silly; also Edge not being able to exist during half the boss fights since he can't survive a major boss spell even blocking. Pretty useless character outside the running away from battles.

The decant system was neat, but it was too hidden/annoying to get most without a faq so it was a bit of a waste of time to make the effort to put the system in. Also some of the decants are waaaay overpowered and break the game. I put the
back row + counter
on Cecil right before the final dungeon and the final dungeon bosses and enemies outside one or two were a joke, especially compared to the tough bosses in the game.

So yeah, to me the game is like a 9.5/10. I wasn't a fan of FFIV before this when I played through it on the SFC and PS1, but now I really like it and I think it might be my 2nd favorite FF behind X and above VI.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
sounds amazing... want US version. This is a retread I can deal with ;)

Red Scarlet

Woot, finished game a little bit ago. No decants used!
Tidalviathan went down with little trouble, he seemed nerfed..Big Tsunami was only one and not two, and he didn't use it on me after the initial attack.

The last boss was hilarious,
I had no problem (thanks Haste/Masamune) until the very end when Cecil and Rosa were 'slip' then Zeromus used that 'Worm' attack and killed them, while Cain avoided all that from a jump. With just him alive, I jumped about 5 times in a row and won with just him.

I took a look at a monster guide afterward, and it looks like I'm missing 198,199, and 200. I missed Namingway halfway through the game (last time I saw him was I think Troia or whatever) and couldn't find him in the town after (Agart).

I completed all the maps
and got treasure hunt for new game+
, so that's cool. Overall, not a lot of the bosses were much trouble; some regular fights seemed 'cheap' while hardly any boss fights did, and some felt much easier than the regular game. A number of them were pretty tough and fun to figure out though.

Overall, I enjoyed the game much more than I thought I was going to, and didn't have a tough time for the majority of the game. I think I'll still play the original more often largely in part to the fact that I can get through that one much faster. But I see myself playing this version from time to time, much more than I did with 3 on the system.

Fun game, 1/4-1/2 part of the game gave me the most trouble with regular enemies, and a couple bosses don't mess around but are beatable if you pay attention. The last place bosses were a bit of a disappointment though.

Did you guys do good on the summon minigames? After awhile I kind of figured out how to do Rydia's decently and got about 4750. I think the other scores were in the 7000's for the other characters.

Now I'm gonna go through Easytype..should mess with my head a good amount.

Bebpo

Banned
Red Scarlet said:
Woot, finished game a little bit ago. No decants used!
Tidalviathan went down with little trouble, he seemed nerfed..Big Tsunami was only one and not two, and he didn't use it on me after the initial attack.

The last boss was hilarious,
I had no problem (thanks Haste/Masamune) until the very end when Cecil and Rosa were 'slip' then Zeromus used that 'Worm' attack and killed them, while Cain avoided all that from a jump. With just him alive, I jumped about 5 times in a row and won with just him.

I took a look at a monster guide afterward, and it looks like I'm missing 198,199, and 200. I missed Namingway halfway through the game (last time I saw him was I think Troia or whatever) and couldn't find him in the town after (Agart).

I completed all the maps
and got treasure hunt for new game+
, so that's cool. Overall, not a lot of the bosses were much trouble; some regular fights seemed 'cheap' while hardly any boss fights did, and some felt much easier than the regular game. A number of them were pretty tough and fun to figure out though.

Overall, I enjoyed the game much more than I thought I was going to, and didn't have a tough time for the majority of the game. I think I'll still play the original more often largely in part to the fact that I can get through that one much faster. But I see myself playing this version from time to time, much more than I did with 3 on the system.

Fun game, 1/4-1/2 part of the game gave me the most trouble with regular enemies, and a couple bosses don't mess around but are beatable if you pay attention. The last place bosses were a bit of a disappointment though.

Did you guys do good on the summon minigames? After awhile I kind of figured out how to do Rydia's decently and got about 4750. I think the other scores were in the 7000's for the other characters.

Now I'm gonna go through Easytype..should mess with my head a good amount.

I didn't play any of the mini-games. I tried the math one once and it broke my brain so I gave up on that.

I agree with the regular enemies being cheap and harder than the bosses. I actually had to use my "last elixir" and a bunch of normal elixirs to survive a "can't run" treasure chest box in the last dungeon with 2 of those blue dragons spamming fubuki. Was more frightening than any boss in that dungeon. I ran through a few of the dungeons not fighting any enemies because they'd just demolish my characters.

Wait, what does Masamune do in the last fight? I had it on Edge and he died in 1 hit like always and stayed dead the entire fight.

Aeana

Wow, Scarlet... I'm surprised you liked it!
I was talking to Bebpo about Tidaleviathan, and he also said it was pretty easy... but its big tsunami did SO much damage to me (~4000). Pretty weird that it didn't do as much to you guys.

I didn't mess with the minigames at all.

Bebpo, Masamune casts haste if you use it as an item.

Red Scarlet

Slow works on Blue Dragons, and so does Stop. Blue Dragons are really easy with that. The Red Dragon was tough at first, but after the first win, they weren't troublesome. Pudding Princesses took two tries, but they're not too hard to figure out.

If you want Edge to survive more, give him stuff that has better magic defense or a Protect Ring (Ribbon didn't help) or use those HP+ items on him. I cracked and used 850 of the 900HP I had on Rosa. The one I had left carried over into New Game+..so I guess with enough replays you could stock up on them and have a crapload of HP early on.

Masamune casts Haste on whoever you want; it's really handy in the remake..notsomuch in the original imo.

Bebpo

Banned
Red Scarlet said:
Slow works on Blue Dragons, and so does Stop. Blue Dragons are really easy with that. The Red Dragon was tough at first, but after the first win, they weren't troublesome. Pudding Princesses took two tries, but they're not too hard to figure out.

If you want Edge to survive more, give him stuff that has better magic defense or a Protect Ring (Ribbon didn't help) or use those HP+ items on him. I cracked and used 850 of the 900HP I had on Rosa. The one I had left carried over into New Game+..so I guess with enough replays you could stock up on them and have a crapload of HP early on.

Masamune casts Haste on whoever you want; it's really handy in the remake..notsomuch in the original imo.

If I knew that stop worked, that would have been really helpful. Though when the first thing they do is start with 2 fubukis and get everonye to <1000hp it's tough. They could cast another one before you even cast stop on one and then everyone is dead. Really didn't like those guys.

I gave Edge all the highest defense/magic defense equipment. He had like 3300hp at the end but still couldn't survive big bang or megaflare and stuff like that. I had used all my HP up items on cecil so didn't have any to give to him.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I gave you shit, scarlet, for trying to beat the game without decants. I guess I need to eat some crow.

Red Scarlet

Well, at least I have all the ones I found to use whenever. Maybe sometime you'll play Ultima 4 to pay me back. ;) I was a really high level when I won though (75,73,72,71,70), but that's what happens when you look for all the badguys and don't run too much and get a super lot of xp now.

Is there a decant from beating the last two elemental bosses? I never found one from them. I never found out what to do with the porno book and get back row, either. Am I able to meet up with Namingway in the places I didn't see him at?

You can buy items that cast Stop at the summon town, Bebpo. That may help out..I just used the spell though. Why'd you use the HP+ on Cecil? He had way more HP than all the other characters.

Bebpo

Banned
Red Scarlet said:
You can buy items that cast Stop at the summon town, Bebpo. That may help out..I just used the spell though. Why'd you use the HP+ on Cecil? He had way more HP than all the other characters.

Well, I didn't know what kind of battles would be ahead so just in case I wanted 1 character with like 6k+ HP and super high DEF/MDEF so even if everyone died suddenly from a big spell, he would survive and could pheonix down them.

Aeana

Red Scarlet said:
Well, at least I have all the ones I found to use whenever.

Apparently, you can only do NG+ 3 times, so keep that in mind. :O It seems that after that, you don't get the option at the end of the game.

Troidal

Bebpo said:
Still, best art direction in a game since FFXII? Maybe even better. It's so unusual and nice to get a really badass/cool looking group of characters with great clothing and armor + cool looking villains as well. Really captured Amano's art in 3d more than anything has to date. Cutscene direction was also A+++

Hot damn, better art direction than FFXII? I don't like SD polygon characters that much, so thats a couple of points off for me. This ain't exactly Virtua Fighter Kids.

Bebpo said:
The decant system was neat, but it was too hidden/annoying to get most without a faq so it was a bit of a waste of time to make the effort to put the system in. Also some of the decants are waaaay overpowered and break the game. I put the
back row + counter
on Cecil right before the final dungeon and the final dungeon bosses and enemies outside one or two were a joke, especially compared to the tough bosses in the game.

The decant is definitely located in obscure places and is also overpowered, but since it is made available to you, it is the way to play it ;-P If you want challenge, I guess not using the decants would do the job.

Bebpo said:
So yeah, to me the game is like a 9.5/10. I wasn't a fan of FFIV before this when I played through it on the SFC and PS1, but now I really like it and I think it might be my 2nd favorite FF behind X and above VI.

Glad you like it now. It was the second FF I played back in the old days so it holds a special place in my gaming heart. I still have to complete it, but I can safely say I'm not too much a fan of this remake. High production value, definitely, and I'll give props for that. But my nostalgia for the classic version still can't beat the remake. It does make the game more accessible to new generation of gamers though.

Bebpo

Banned
Btw, the game has the dumbest bug ever. If you start a new game+ and go to the cutscene theater and select the last dungeon cutscene it crashes the game. lol

Troidal said:
It does make the game more accessible to new generation of gamers though.

Hmm...outside of the auto-map feature, which is amazing and needed in every DS rpg, and voice acting + visible equipment, what do you think makes it more accessible to new gamers? I thought FF1+2 on GBA was really accessible to new gamers, and FF4-6 (and the original SFC versions) GBA were as well.

Also about the nostalgia thing, I really enjoyed the first few hours due to nostalgia, but the further I got into FF4r, the less I remembered about the original and so the nostalgia sort of all went away and I was just enjoying it as a new rpg.

Troidal

Bebpo said:
Hmm...outside of the auto-map feature, which is amazing and needed in every DS rpg, and voice acting + visible equipment, what do you think makes it more accessible to new gamers? I thought FF1+2 on GBA was really accessible to new gamers, and FF4-6 (and the original SFC versions) GBA were as well.

Also about the nostalgia thing, I really enjoyed the first few hours due to nostalgia, but the further I got into FF4r, the less I remembered about the original and so the nostalgia sort of all went away and I was just enjoying it as a new rpg.

I just think it is more accessible since it's got updated graphics and cutscenes. You know kids love that stuff these days. I don't think they can look at static 2D graphics and read on the dialogues with patience...but maybe I'm wrong :p

I played all versions sans the PSOne version, so I remember a good chunk of the overall story to this day. In fact, I got fed up with the GBA version by the time I reached the moon :lol

JayDubya

Banned
Wow, it sounds like my favorite FF is now going to be even better and actually difficult outside of the Demon Wall fight. XD

Top Bottom