• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Final Fantasy IV DS Thread

Captain N

I just got the airship so right now I'm doing some grinding before moving on. The enemies in this castle i'm heading into now seem pretty tough.
I'm talking about the ones that pop out of the chests in Eblan Castle

Captain N

any tips on fighting the
Dark Elf
? I would also love to know some good weapons for Cecil since he can't use bows.

takotchi

I always use the cheapest shipping from Play-Asia and I never had a problem. It did take a LOT longer than usual this time... 8 days to get to VA, USA. It's not like it's "the holidays" because the UPS hasn't had any trouble delivering on time.

Now that it's finally here, I'm really enjoying it. Only thing I don't like so far are the mini-games; they seem really hard.

yggdrasil

Captain N said:
any tips on fighting the
Dark Elf
? I would also love to know some good weapons for Cecil since he can't use bows.

Buy a crappy sword in Troia town; that's all I found that seemed to work. As for the
Dark Elf/Dragon
(do we really need to spoiler tag a 15+year-old game?), you will be able to use Cecil's Legend Sword again, so that ought to help. Keep your health up (it will not be easy to esuna the Slip away) and he will eventually go down.

Aeana

yggdrasil said:
(do we really need to spoiler tag a 15+year-old game?)

It's a remake, and some people may be playing it for the first time. That it is a new remake of a 15-year-old game is precisely why I think spoiler-tagging is necessary. Plus there's some new stuff in this.

LowParry

Okay. I had to come back and see what's been going on. I had a question though for those playing. There any new bosses? Summons?

Captain N

CcrooK said:
Okay. I had to come back and see what's been going on. I had a question though for those playing. There any new bosses? Summons?

Well in new game+ there's a least one new boss.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Mine's "in transit" to Louisville. I don't know if it means in transit to a post office here, or in transit to my house. Either way, I'm guessing I won't get it until Monday since it's already 4.

:E

yggdrasil

takotchi said:
You mean
Barbariccia
? It took one hit using
Cecil and Rosa's Ultima
if I remember right.

Any help for those of us who started through before we found out about Decant Distribution? Rosa dies in one counter-lightning which comes after every attack.

Aeana

yggdrasil said:
Any help for those of us who started through before we found out about Decant Distribution? Rosa dies in one counter-lightning which comes after every attack.

Cast slow and put the じごくのつめ on Yang, which causes poison. Also put up shell and protect, and be patient. I had everybody defend except for Cecil, who attacked, and Kain, who jumped. It took a while, but I won without anybody dead.

Bebpo

Banned
Need help on
Golbez after the earth crystal/doll boss

Only Cecil + Rydia and he gets the first hit with all party magic before either gets their first turn so Cecil is at like 1000 HP, Rydia at 500 HP. If Rydia tries to cast she doesn't make it in time and the boss's 2nd attack with all party magic kills her. Once she is dead it's game over because if Cecil tries to revive anyone they will die by the boss's all party magic next turn before they can do anything.

Now I haven't tried this, but I'm guessing this strategy would work? Have Rydia use a hi-potion on herself first thing to survive the next hit, then have cecil repeatedly uses curera on both Cecil/Rydia while Rydia summons non-stop?

It's really annoying having to do that first boss fight over again and then have life/death decided in the first 30 seconds of the next battle. The first boss is a pain because of his confusion eye which only Rosa with esuna can cure. But if Yang gets confused and gets his turn before Rosa, he'll kill her in one hit and become a dead obstacle to everyone else. If Rosa & Yang get confused...that's bad.

ITA84

Bebpo said:
Need help on

Only Cecil + Rydia and he gets the first hit with all party magic before either gets their first turn so Cecil is at like 1000 HP, Rydia at 500 HP. If Rydia tries to cast she doesn't make it in time and the boss's 2nd attack with all party magic kills her. Once she is dead it's game over because if Cecil tries to revive anyone they will die by the boss's all party magic next turn before they can do anything.

Now I haven't tried this, but I'm guessing this strategy would work? Have Rydia use a hi-potion on herself first thing to survive the next hit, then have cecil repeatedly uses curera on both Cecil/Rydia while Rydia summons non-stop?

You'd still have to cast Libra now and then to see which element he is vulnerable to. I suggest you to use the item which casts slow (kumo no something, I don't remember) first and you should have more chances. As for the rest, alternating Libra + Hi-Potion and Curera + Summon should do.

Captain N

Bebpo said:
Need help on

It's really annoying having to do that first boss fight over again and then have life/death decided in the first 30 seconds of the next battle. The first boss is a pain because of his confusion eye which only Rosa with esuna can cure. But if Yang gets confused and gets his turn before Rosa, he'll kill her in one hit and become a dead obstacle to everyone else. If Rosa & Yang get confused...that's bad.

you can always try the boss guide...Just keep in mind that the guide contains all of the bosses names and how to beat them. So if you don't want to spoil it for yourself don't click on the following link.

Edit: I forgot that site is banned on here for now.

This is probably one of the most difficult battles so far, perhaps because
you fought another boss a few seconds ago.
Golbez
first freezes all your
members and quickly gets rid of all of them (if he has such a power, why
doesn't he use it more often, hum?), with only Cecil surviving. You may
try to time Cain's "Jump" in order to dodge the freezing attack, but you
should be told that it is an hard thing to do. After a small cutscene, Rydia will be back,
Golbez
will cast a magic prevention shield (forgot about the name of the spell, but he absorbs all elemental magic) and the real battle begins.One of your biggest problems is the lack of party members - out of five, three of them are probably dead by now, and you may obviously want to revive them as soon as possible. The problem is... how? You only have two characters and
Golbez
is constantly casting multi-hit spells, which may easily kill any revived characters. Well, I have no magical answer to give you, so you should just rely on luck. Have Cecil and Rydia use a simple combo - Rydia uses a "Phoenix Down" and Cecil quickly heals that same character - and hopefully you'll manage to revive them in a short time.
When everyone is finally up, and hopefully with more than 500 HP each, it
is time to start attacking. Have Cecil wield a sword that has no elemental effects (you can change his equipment by pressing up while using the "Items" command) and striking
physically, apart from healing those who need it, a task that he should
share with Rosa. Yang and Cain (feel free to use his "Jump") should also
strike physically. Rydia should stick to physical attacks - those don't
cause much damage, but they are better than nothing - and completly
ignoring elemental spells and summons, since those appear to heal your
enemy. If you're healing everyone in a proper way, this may turn out into a long
battle but
Golbez
will eventually go down, just don't let ANY of your
characters die, or else you may be put in trouble.

takotchi

That is the wrong, wrong, wrong strategy for that fight. There is a much easier way:

If you plan in advance, it's even easier. Give Cecil the Medicine DA (from Gilbart/Edward) and have him use Phoenix Down to revive everybody when Rydia comes to the rescue. Otherwise, you just have to manage between Cecil and Rydia to revive everybody.

Now that you've managed to get that far, cast Libra on Golbez to see what his barrier is set to. He will absorb everything but ONE element, which he will be weak to. Now use Rydia to summon whatever thing he is weak to. He'll take about 3000 damage and change his barrier. Cast Libra again, summon, repeat a few times, and he'll go down.

edit: Okay, the basic idea was posted before, but still...

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Heh, for that fight I just
had Rydia use bio over and over (non-elemental damage) and had Cecil use a hi-potion on her every round. I also used a spider's silk on Golbez to slow him down a bit. I only won by the skin of my teeth, though. Rydia eventually ran out of MP, and I didn't have any ethers or anything. As a last resort, I berserked Cecil and Rydia. Ate through the last of his health right in the nick of time.

It probably helped that I defeated the dolls before they were able to merge.

Probably wouldn't have been as difficult if I could read Japanese and wasn't too lazy to learn which words are fire/ice/lightning/etc, heh

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
So, what is there in the way of extras for this game?

ie: does it have the bonus content of the GBA remake?

Does it have other bonus content altogether?

What are the prospects for FFV and VI remakes?

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
There's somewhat of a New Game + option when you complete the game. I know you can carry over some decant abilities, but I'm not sure what else you carry over (if anything).

The GBA extras aren't in this version. No cave of trials, no switching characters out of the final party, etc.

Aside from decant abilities and extra scenes and stuff, there are a few new hidden bosses.

And I really hope they remake the other SNES games, because this one is very well done. So far I think it's the definitive version of FFIV.

So you importers are actually just playing the game in Japanese? I guess I don't see the fun in that for such a text-driven RPG, unless you can speak Japanese of coarse.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
needlesmcgirk said:
So you importers are actually just playing the game in Japanese? I guess I don't see the fun in that for such a text-driven RPG, unless you can speak Japanese of coarse.

Because the story hasn't really changed, and the additional scenes are sparse at best.

I have never played any of the early FF. Does IV have an epic story like VII?

It has more of a story than FFIII, but most people aren't going to think it's on par with FFVII. FFIV was one of the first games to ever have a "deep" story, but compared to today's games, people aren't going to consider it epic. There are a lot of cliches and things that occur that seem too unrealistic. Even in an environment where people summon monsters and shit.

LowParry

Got my copy in today and about an hour again. Forgot how fast paced the story goes within that first hour. Crazy. Overall, I'm having some real fun with it. Completely love the fact that this is old school rpg greatness. Grind the exp before fighting the next boss. The voice overs are really well done. The game looks very good for a DS game. Very happy with this. And music really does bring you back to your SNES days. Love it.

LowParry

Lost Fragment said:
Because the story hasn't really changed, and the additional scenes are sparse at best.

It has more of a story than FFIII, but most people aren't going to think it's on par with FFVII. FFIV was one of the first games to ever have a "deep" story, but compared to today's games, people aren't going to consider it epic. There are a lot of cliches and things that occur that seem too unrealistic. Even in an environment where people summon monsters and shit.

In my book. FFIV will always be the epic rpg in my history of gaming. It was one of the first rpg's where I spent all the time finding everything possible on my own. Exceeding the 99:99 hour limit and having everyong lvl 99 with all the best armor you can possibly get. (IE: The moon ;) )

Macstorm

Lost Fragment said:
Probably wouldn't have been as difficult if I could read Japanese and wasn't too lazy to learn which words are fire/ice/lightning/etc, heh
The descriptions have ice/fire/lightning symbols next to them.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
clashfan said:
I have never played any of the early FF. Does IV have an epic story like VII?
FFIV has a story, but some people don't like it because it moves at a VERY fast pace. Nevertheless, it introduced ATB, as well as a complex, character-driven plot, to the Final Fantasy series. It has excellent music, a good variety of characters with individual abilities, and is an overall blast to play.

FFV has a rather bare-bones story, somewhat similar to the early NES FFs and the DQ games, but it is one of my favorite FFs for a few reasons:

#1: The Job system. Arguably the best battle system in an FF game, you can customize each of your party member's abilities as you please. If you've ever enjoyed a job-based system in a strategy, SRPG, or RPG, you owe it to yourself to play FFV. There are literally dozens of abilities you can learn, from Barehanded (increased strength when fighting unarmed) to Rapid Fire (if you've played FFVII, it's basically 4x Cut) to Mime, Summon, and Find Passages (allows you to see hidden passages in towns, dungeons, and caves), and many, many more.

#2: Most people don't seem to give a crap, but Galuf (one of your party members in FFV) is awesome, IMO.

#3: Gilgamesh (a "villain" of FFV) rules.

FFVI is also excellent. It has a wonderful soundtrack, beautiful graphics, and an epic story (definitely more epic than FFVII, if you ask me.). It has 14 (yes, 14) party members, and another 2 characters that you can play as temporarily (well, 4 if you include Biggs and Wedge from the intro sequence of the game).

Even though the cast is large, almost every character has a significant amount of development to them, and none of them play the same in battle. The story is quite epic, and the game has a vast amount of sidquests.

It also has the best villain in Final Fantasy, and one of the best villains in video games, Kefka, who is also one of the most sadistic villains you'll find in gaming.

The materia system found in FFVII is extremely similar to the esper system of FFVI.

(btw: as far as final battle themes go, Dancing Mad > One Winged Angel).

6 has a lot of story to it.

Bebpo

Banned
takotchi said:
That is the wrong, wrong, wrong strategy for that fight. There is a much easier way:

If you plan in advance, it's even easier. Give Cecil the Medicine DA (from Gilbart/Edward) and have him use Phoenix Down to revive everybody when Rydia comes to the rescue. Otherwise, you just have to manage between Cecil and Rydia to revive everybody.

Now that you've managed to get that far, cast Libra on Golbez to see what his barrier is set to. He will absorb everything but ONE element, which he will be weak to. Now use Rydia to summon whatever thing he is weak to. He'll take about 3000 damage and change his barrier. Cast Libra again, summon, repeat a few times, and he'll go down.

edit: Okay, the basic idea was posted before, but still...

So I picked this game up again and I can't even beat the doll fight anymore. The doll does 1200+ damage per hit and kills 1 character every time it attacks not to mention kills 1 character every time it counter attacks. It also tends to make yang go confused and kill other characters. Also my attacks miss a lot against it.

I should mention my party is only lvl.32/33 and I'm not willing to grind any more. Also I have no decant abilities so I can't use your above strategy for the next fight. I don't use faqs to play rpgs and I don't remember FF4 at all so this is like my first time so I don't have any of the really good "hidden" type stuff you have to go out of your way for. I just have what you'd normally have at this point in the game.

Also why am I getting hit so hard? I just don't get it. Even these 6 dolls when seperate can wipe out my party in 2 rounds if I'm not healing consistently. They do like 300 damage per hit x 6 and my max HP's are only around 1200-1300.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Bebpo said:
So I picked this game up again and I can't even beat the doll fight anymore. The doll does 1200+ damage per hit and kills 1 character every time it attacks not to mention kills 1 character every time it counter attacks. It also tends to make yang go confused and kill other characters. Also my attacks miss a lot against it.

I should mention my party is only lvl.32/33 and I'm not willing to grind any more. Also I have no decant abilities so I can't use your above strategy for the next fight. I don't use faqs to play rpgs and I don't remember FF4 at all so this is like my first time so I don't have any of the really good "hidden" type stuff you have to go out of your way for. I just have what you'd normally have at this point in the game.

Also why am I getting hit so hard? I just don't get it. Even these 6 dolls when seperate can wipe out my party in 2 rounds if I'm not healing consistently. They do like 300 damage per hit x 6 and my max HP's are only around 1200-1300.

Try this:

Start out with Rosa using slow on all of them, and having everyone else defend except Kain, who will jump at one of the dolls in the front (I think only the ones in the back counter attack?). Then have Rosa use Blink on both Yang/Cecil, and keep Kain jumping. After Yand and Cecil are Blinked, have them start attacking. By the time Blink runs out, you should be able to kill 2 or 3 of the dolls, making the rest of the fight a lot easier. Might not be a bad idea to use protect too.

I could be wrong, but I think Hold works on the dolls, so that might be good to use once you're down to about 3.

Make sure you get one of the dolls in the front next to death, then leave him for last. This way there's a good chance that you'll be able to end the fight before the giant doll comes out.

CloudV

Bebpo said:

I used the following strategy, noting that I missed out on a few decants as well and using just normal equip, at a lower level then you.

One, have Rosa cast slow on the 6 dolls.
Two, have Yang ためる 3 times
While you are having Yang build up, have Cecil attack one of the 3 rear dolls, and kain jump on another, and so on. Basically spread the damage among the 3 rear dolls.

After Yang has built up 3 times, have him Kick, and he will kill the 3 front dolls in one hit, and with the damage you spread out among the 3 rear dolls kill them as well.
If not, then you should have enough time to finish them off with regular attacks before they combine.

Lastly, make sure Cecil has a lot of life before the fight ends for the
Golbez
fight afterwards

CloudV

Following that, the strategy I used for the
Goblez

1. Have Kain JUMP as soon as possible, while he is in the air, it prevents the event from starting.
3. Have Yang use the Kumo no Ito to slow
Goblez
2. Have Rosa cast Shell on Cecil
3. Have Cecil use Hermes Shoes to caste haste on himself.
4. After the event starts,
Goblez
will barrier change, so have Cecil use Libra on him to figure out what element he is weak too.
5. A lot of this depends on luck, but just keep Cecil and Rydia's life up, casting shell on her as well, and having her summon once you have libra'd
Goblez
to discover his weak point. Having Cecil hasted and
Goblez
slowed will help you keep life up and use ethers as
Goblez
likes to aspir your mp like the bitch he is.

Good luck, it took me about 5 times to do it.

Bebpo

Banned
Can you guys at least tell me that this is the hardest fight in the game barring optional bosses? I thought the difficulty was challenging but good until this event, but this is pretty crazy.

Red Scarlet

Hmm, so tameru stacks? Helpful to know. I'm still waiting on my game, and I am planning on going through au naturale without using any of those decant things.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Bebpo said:
Can you guys at least tell me that this is the hardest fight in the game barring optional bosses? I thought the difficulty was challenging but good until this event, but this is pretty crazy.

Definitely one of the hardest fights in the game until you get to the final dungeon, where you'll be on your toes constantly.

Dark Sorceresses don't fuck around in this version.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
It does, but when you run into a pack of 3 they'll usually bombard you with spells that do 3k+ damage when focused on a single character before you have much time to act.

Bebpo

Banned
One thing I really don't like about this section is that once you go down you can't go back up because the airship is broke and there IS NO EQUIPMENT SHOP in the dwarf castle. So if your equipment sucks when you go down and you save it...it seems like you can be completely screwed. Personally I think my armor must be pretty bad because of the damage I'm taking. Rosa cannot survive a single physical hit.

Tried once more against the 6 and had rosa cast slow on all 6 while yang charges and kain jumps on a back one and cecil hits a back one. Then they confused yang and confused rosa the same turn. Yang killed rosa, then they killed kain on counterattack. I used esuna on yang and weakend the 3rd one and he did his 3x charge kick with only him and cecil alive. Kick missed two of them and they formed into doll and game over. :\

Red Scarlet

There are shops, but I can't remember if you can get to them before getting past the fight you're at. Unless the shops were changed, what is there is mostly stuff you already have, armor wise (like Flame Mail/Shield).

Did you grab the Gold Hairpin for Rosa? I think that's the best helmet she can have at that point in the original one.

It sounds like badguys counter a lot..can your characters? Or only with a decant thing?

Red Scarlet

He never worked too well with claws when I used them, that sucks about the Mage Masher though. I guess Rydia gets to keep it for awhile then. Can most badguys counter, and do some have really high counter rates compared to other badguys?

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Red Scarlet said:
Hmm, so tameru stacks? Helpful to know. I'm still waiting on my game, and I am planning on going through au naturale without using any of those decant things.
lol

good luck.

Bebpo

Banned
Red Scarlet said:
There are shops, but I can't remember if you can get to them before getting past the fight you're at. Unless the shops were changed, what is there is mostly stuff you already have, armor wise (like Flame Mail/Shield).

Did you grab the Gold Hairpin for Rosa? I think that's the best helmet she can have at that point in the original one.

It sounds like badguys counter a lot..can your characters? Or only with a decant thing?

-Enemies seem to counter near 100% of the time when you hit them.
-No golden hairpin.
-Only shops before the boss are item shops and an inn. Cecil has flame mail, flame shield, mithril helm and ruby ring. Kain is all mithril equipment. Rosa is priest robe and triangle hat and Yang is feather hat and some armor called kenbougi.

ccbfan

GaimeGuy said:
The materia system found in FFVII is extremely similar to the esper system of FFVI.

This is one statement that people say a lot that I never understood. Can someone please explain to me how the Materia system is any thing remotely close to the esper system.

Espers

1. Used to learn spells
2. The spells you learn can not be used until you learn them even if you are equiped with the Esper.
3. Can be used once per battle as a summon
4. Stays constant, it can not improve itself
5. When Equiped when levelling one gain bonus stats on the character.
6. Other than with Quick, most spells are solitary.
7. One can only equip one esper
8. There is only one of each esper.

Materia

1. Used as spells
2. One does not learn the spell no matter what
3. One can level the materia to improve increase the amount of spells the user can cast from it. Either in more powerful version of spells like fire 1,2,3 or increase the amount of times you can use summons.
4. Does nothing for the user level ups when equiped.
5. Can be linked and chained together.
6. One can equip up to 16 (I think) materias
7. You have have 99 or more of each materia.

Honestly the only similarity between the two is both are equipable items.

Unless I'm missing some information about espers and materias can some please explain to me why people keep making to comparison.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
You forgot that Espers are awesome, and Materia are one of the worst FF subsystems ever. ;p

Top Bottom