• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Final Fantasy IV DS Thread

I dunno, has anything about them changed significantly back from the 2D editions? Because if not, hitting them with your single hardest-hitting physical attack (usually the Dragoon's Jump for me at that point) and nothing else allowed you to win with minimum fuss (although a fair bit of tedium).

Red Scarlet

Ordered the game yesterday..will hopefully get it by New Year's!

Want to finish, Aeana?

If Behemoths are the same, they counter physical attacks, rarely attack, and counter some magic with Maelstrom. So the safest way to win (which we'd do) is cast Blink on the party and only attack with your main fighters. Later on it's not a big deal to just attack and defend without using Blink at all anymore.

Aeana

Red Scarlet said:
Ordered the game yesterday..will hopefully get it by New Year's!

Want to finish, Aeana?

If Behemoths are the same, they counter physical attacks, rarely attack, and counter some magic with Maelstrom. So the safest way to win (which we'd do) is cast Blink on the party and only attack with your main fighters. Later on it's not a big deal to just attack and defend without using Blink at all anymore.

Yeah, I was doing the blink thing... it just takes a really long time. I don't have Kain right now (Fusuya instead). With Edge and Cecil attacking after having blink put on them, they do about 1500 each, and it seems to have at least 20000 HP. It's safe, but it definitely does take quite a while to win. On the last one, I had Rydia casting flare and Rosa casting curaga immediately afterward, which was dangerous, but faster.

Zilch

Banned
duckroll said:
Pretty sure he's not involved with this one. The cutscenes directing can be credited to the fact that S-E actually put a huge effort into storyboarding this time. With an actual storyboarding team for all the cutscenes, summon sequences, etc.

Kinda OT, but is it not normal for developers to have a dedicated storyboarding department? Kinda crazy considering most jRPGs are chock-full of cutscenes.

Red Scarlet

Aeana said:
Yeah, I was doing the blink thing... it just takes a really long time. I don't have Kain right now (Fusuya instead). With Edge and Cecil attacking after having blink put on them, they do about 1500 each, and it seems to have at least 20000 HP. It's safe, but it definitely does take quite a while to win. On the last one, I had Rydia casting flare and Rosa casting curaga immediately afterward, which was dangerous, but faster.

They don't counter Bahamut, so Leviathan may be ok to use on those first three, but I'm not entirely sure. Yeah, you want to finish?

Aeana

Just beat Bahamut.
Seems like you can no longer reflect megaflare. Before he casts it, he casts reflect on himself and reflects it off of himself instead or something. The second time I tried, I just berserk/hasted my melee, had Rydia cast Leviathan and won when his countdown got to 1

Red Scarlet said:
They don't counter Bahamut, so Leviathan may be ok to use on those first three, but I'm not entirely sure. Yeah, you want to finish?

Yeah, sure.

LowParry

Huh. I haven't even got a tracking number from Play-Asia although it does says it shipped on the 24th. 5 days it takes? More? Less? I hate not know where this package is. -sadness-

Aeana

CcrooK said:
Huh. I haven't even got a tracking number from Play-Asia although it does says it shipped on the 24th. 5 days it takes? More? Less? I hate not know where this package is. -sadness-

Whether you get a tracking number or not depends on the shipping method you chose, I think. I always get one when I choose UPS.

Red Scarlet

Yeah I don't know how to track with Play-Asia unless I get the really expensive shipping, so it's just floating around somewhere on Earth until it arrives. I got it from Play-Asia this time for the cheap shipping and that I'll be home for awhile and I had an $8 coupon so it only cost about $52 to get it.

I'm about to fix dinner, so after I eat I'll hop on and we can maybe finish today, Aeana! :D

LowParry

Aeana said:
Whether you get a tracking number or not depends on the shipping method you chose, I think. I always get one when I choose UPS.

I chose the express air bubble. Guess I'll be waiting each day at 1pm by the mail box with chattering teeth of the damn cold outside. Along with that, my arcade buttons that will be coming in this week as well.

Aeana

Just beat the
Babel giant CPU thing
. Very tough, but FUN fight! The strategy from the SNES version has definitely changed here, but it was fun to figure it out.

I also noticed a new lengthy scene that wasn't here before. Pretty cool.
They go into much more detail about Cecil/Golbeza's past. You get to see KluYa and you find out Golbeza's real name. Very interesting.
Very cool scene, and it's a nice insight into the backstory here.

duckroll

Finally got my game. Put about an hour into it so far.

- Presentation's really great, I didn't expect a lot of little touches they put on it
- Gameplay's been tweaked a lot and the improvements are mostly good
- The ATB timing and delays make the battles feel a little weird at first, takes some getting used to
- Cutscenes are really, really good
- Music's great

Bebpo

Banned
Aeana, any tips on
Cagnazzo?
His tidal wave -> sleep combo is pretty deadly as the wave deaths half my party even if defending and then he sleeps the other half or does another tidal wave 2 rounds later before the party can revive/heal to max HP. I'm guessing there is a way to prevent tidal wave since it's gives you a 1 round warning and I doubt the warning is for you to use to defend since the wave carries death beyond just the damage.

Diablos54

Bebpo said:
Aeana, any tips on
Cagnazzo?
His tidal wave -> sleep combo is pretty deadly as the wave deaths half my party even if defending and then he sleeps the other half or does another tidal wave 2 rounds later before the party can revive/heal to max HP. I'm guessing there is a way to prevent tidal wave since it's gives you a 1 round warning and I doubt the warning is for you to use to defend since the wave carries death beyond just the damage.
Save Bolt for when the 1 round warning comes up.

Troidal

grandjedi6 said:
So, for the people who have played it, is FFIV DS or GBA better?

DS, just because GBA dumbed down the difficulty and was bug-ridden. The extra features on GBA were kinda meh personally.

That said, I still hold the original Super Famicom version to be the "best".

Captain N

Bebpo said:
Aeana, any tips on
Cagnazzo?

I just beat
Cagnazzo
and I was actually shocked no one on my party ever got put to sleep. I was very happy with the amount of Damage ice & Thunder did. Don't forget to rest in Cecils room before fighting em too.

Aeana

Bebpo said:
Aeana, any tips on
Cagnazzo?

What I did was keep Tellah ready (by passing his turn and letting others act) to cast thunder (regular thunder, it casts the fastest) which will dispel the water barrier and cancel tsunami. When the barrier isn't up, he's weak to ice instead, so Palom can cast blizzara repeatedly.

subrock

read through a bit of this thread and I didnt really see a clear answer so I will ask outright. is this a remake of FFIV for the snes or was it a previously unreleased in NA one? what is the estimated street date for north america if we are getting it at all?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
subrock said:
read through a bit of this thread and I didnt really see a clear answer so I will ask outright. is this a remake of FFIV for the snes or was it a previously unreleased in NA one? what is the estimated street date for north america if we are getting it at all?

Remake of FFIV for the SNES. There is no FF game that is unreleased in America. We will get it, but there is no date and it will definitely be after March 2008. One would expect it around September 2008 give or take two months.

subrock

thanks, I hope I'm not alone here in that I am a fan but not really a super fan. might pick this up when it comes out.

ethelred

Aeana said:
What I did was keep Tellah ready (by passing his turn and letting others act) to cast thunder (regular thunder, it casts the fastest) which will dispel the water barrier and cancel tsunami. When the barrier isn't up, he's weak to ice instead, so Palom can cast blizzara repeatedly.

Oh, so you can do turn skips in this version? That's great to hear. It was a really good modification to ATB.

duckroll

ethelred said:
Oh, so you can do turn skips in this version? That's great to hear. It was a really good modification to ATB.

It's actually really cool, you don't actually skip a turn, but you hit Y to switch between active characters with full ATB.

ethelred

duckroll said:
It's actually really cool, you don't actually skip a turn, but you hit Y to switch between active characters with full ATB.

Yeah, that's what I meant. It was possible to do that in most of the ATB games, but not in any of the versions of IV.

ghibli99

sp0rsk said:
I found this remake a huge disappointment. The difficulty is way out of wack. The loading kinda sucks. The music is kinda grating. The slowdown during battles is annoying. The cutscenes and stuff are pretty hot though. But like, the first town outside the main castle's inn is fucking 50gil, and what's her name dies every other battle unless you unload potions or just have her heal the whole time. That kind of unbalance is just frustrating and not fun at all.
I pretty much agree... I don't know if I'd call it a huge disappointment, but it's a disappointment nonetheless. I'd probably be a lot more heated if this had been its first rerelease since the SFC/SNES days, but since it's already been redone twice before this (and I've played through FF4 more times than I'd like to admit), this not quite living up to expectations is meh~whatevers to me.

I see FF4 DS as fan service to FF4 devotees, and in that respect, I think it gives them enough to satiate their thirst for something FF4-related. The intro, despite the compression, is pretty badass, as is the music for the intro. The cutscenes w/ VO are also awesome, and make them feel fresh, but don't stray far from what made them memorable in the 16-bit days.

The music otherwise, though, kinda sucks. It sorta sounds like the OG music, but via the DS, man, it just doesn't sound right. This is one of those times I wish the remake had been done on a console. The thing I loved about the 16-bit FFs is that going in and out of combat was quick and responsive. Here, it feels sluggish with the loading. While pretty short, it cumulatively builds frustration. The weird command queueing of the GBA FF4 is gone (thankfully), but it's been replaced with this.

Graphically, aside from the slow battle action, this game looks pretty stunning for a DS title. The nice framerate during cutscenes, and the cool map feature, add to the familiar feel while updating it to take advantage of (but not requiring) the touchscreen.

Pachinko

Hey here's a question about the GBA one for ya, I was playing it earlier and opened a treasure box in the giant of babel and it had a LAST ALARM enemy inside, all it does is cast a spell that "stops" a party member but the thing is , there doesn't seem to be a way to remove stop and eventually my entire party was just frozen in time with no way to run away nor did the game just simply give me a game over. It also seemed like the enemy casted this ability just frequently enough to keep anyone from becoming unstopped by having the spell simply wear out.

I'd swear it was almost an untested bug which I suppose isn't that suprising given how many bad things I'd heard about the GBA edition.

Aeana

ghibli99 said:
I see FF4 DS as fan service to FF4 devotees, and in that respect, I think it gives them enough to satiate their thirst for something FF4-related.

I have to disagree with this part, since I don't like FF4 much. It's in my bottom tier of Final Fantasy games... and yet, I'm really enjoying the DS version quite a bit. The changes make it far, far more appealing to me than the original.

Aeana

All done with the game! The last dungeon was really, really difficult... and those stupid red dragons are just as annoying as ever (maybe more?). I did eventually beat all of the chest monsters and extra bosses except
Tidaleviathan (I think it's Ogopogo in the English ones?)
... he was just way too hard.

Overall, I found this remake to be incredible. It was far, far above what I was expecting coming off of FF3 DS. They really went beyond what they did with that game, and even managed to make FF4 enjoyable for someone who never really liked it in the first place. The decant system adds a lot of neat customizability, and the tweaks to the ATB system really go a long way. Some of the dungeons in the game are really pretty, and the voiced scenes are fantastic. The difficulty was a bit of a problem in the early game for me, but it did sort its way out as I progressed (except for some of the later optional bosses - wow), and I'm pretty happy with the way it ended up.

I really can't wait to see what they'll do with FF5 (the wording on the box makes it seem like another remake is coming, 'Continuing after FF3, the second entry in the full remake series').

tnw

Banned
They have this on sale at the combini near my place.

While I think the game looks horrible and thought it played terribly the part that I played at Tokyo Game Show, it did get me to go do a SNES FFIV speed run. Speed running that game is really fun.

Sounds like that wouldn't be possible with this new version.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
tnw said:
They have this on sale at the combini near my place.

While I think the game looks horrible and thought it played terribly the part that I played at Tokyo Game Show, it did get me to go do a SNES FFIV speed run. Speed running that game is really fun.

Sounds like that wouldn't be possible with this new version.
and this is relevant to the thread in what way? I dont think anyone cares about your speedruns.

ITA84

u_neek said:
It's probably been mentioned before but how is the game's difficulty compared to FF3's?

Easier, because:
- there are Save Points inside dungeons!
- you don't have to worry about class leveling up
- the magic system is more versatile
- Phoenix Downs can be bought for 100 Gil!

Fights can still be quite tough, and revised tactics for bosses can make it hard even for experts.

duckroll

Finally beat Cagnazzo after two tries. Once the strategy was nailed down, it was pretty easy, otherwise it's lolz time. Pretty solid boss fight. Got the airship. YAAAAAAAAAY!

This is probably the best remake Squaresoft has ever done. Not that that's saying much, but this is really how remakes should be. Everything is overhauled and feels completely fresh, not just the graphics. It's great to be playing the game that's narratively similar, but yet fresh and original every step of the way compared to the original.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
duckroll said:
Finally beat Cagnazzo after two tries. Once the strategy was nailed down, it was pretty easy, otherwise it's lolz time. Pretty solid boss fight. Got the airship. YAAAAAAAAAY!

This is probably the best remake Squaresoft has ever done. Not that that's saying much, but this is really how remakes should be. Everything is overhauled and feels completely fresh, not just the graphics. It's great to be playing the game that's narratively similar, but yet fresh and original every step of the way compared to the original.

This thread makes me sad because we aren't getting this game until at least Fall 2008.

Boo!!!!!!!

Red Scarlet

So since at least one person has finished, and looking at what was posted...where was this supposed 75% of stuff that was originally taken out? That seems to be nonexistent.

Aeana

Red Scarlet said:
So since at least one person has finished, and looking at what was posted...where was this supposed 75% of stuff that was originally taken out? That seems to be nonexistent.

There are a few new flashback scenes, and one of them is quite lengthy. I don't know about 75%, but there's a bit of new stuff.

Aeana

Red Scarlet said:
Yeah, wasn't that the amount supposedly? 75% or 25%. Seemed shady.

I think what they said was "About 75% of the original script was cut, so we worked to restore some of it" -- they probably just restored the stuff that was actually meaningful.

Top Bottom