• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Halo 3: ODST Thread

Gui_PT

voltron said:
So is the final audio log on
Data Hive
easy enough to find without a guide?

I just found out its on that level and would rather find it myself. Also I think its pretty lame that its not in the hub. How the fuck are we supposed to know that Bungie? Jesus.

It's pretty easy to find it. Just don't rush through the level, you might end up missing it, or missing whatever may happen that will show you where it is.

OMG Aero

voltron said:
So is the final audio log on
Data Hive
easy enough to find without a guide?

I just found out its on that level and would rather find it myself. Also I think its pretty lame that its not in the hub. How the fuck are we supposed to know that Bungie? Jesus.
As long as you have all the previous logs, it's pretty easy to find as long as you don't just run away and ignore your AI partner.

voltron

Cool.

It just occured to me that maybe if I listenened closer to the 29th log it might have been apparent that it was on this level. But still.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
So I randomly checked out Bungie favorites for some maps after playing some MLG style 2v2's on some Sandbox maps (Ber Ber included, good stuff) I came across this map called "Irritation" I wasn't sure what it was so I fired it up with some peeps. So much fun. Basically it's an obstacle course that you navigate with a mongoose. It is TOUGH! The first half took me like 50 attempts. When I finally made it passed the first half, I finished it on my first try. I recommend it. Here's the vid of me completing it so you can see what it looks like...

http://www.bungie.net/Online/Halo3UserContentDetails.aspx?h3fileid=103955770

Magni

1/7/2010 4:25:38 AM The Pit Team Snipers 1st preview
1/7/2010 4:03:48 AM Blackout Team Snipers 2nd preview
1/7/2010 3:47:25 AM Heretic Team Mythic 2nd preview

8 minutes of searching between the first and the second games, 12 after the second one..

This shit has got to be fixed in Reach. Not to mention the netcode (red bar games every time today, and I'm open NAT and filtering by "'Good' connection").

Oh yeah, twenty second loading screen, instantly vetoed, followed by another twenty second loading screen. Vote, then load (I'm far from the first to point this out I know)

edit: yay, first decent game today, three hours in. I'm the only one to call out till the final minute (one teammate finally noticed the game was real close), and I have twice as many assists as everyone else. Coincidence? I think not..

alisdair

In an early Halo 3 Vidoc, Bungie said that the emphasis on dual-wielding in Halo 2 was a mistake, and their solution was the AR. I wonder what they consider the sandbox design mistakes in Halo 3, if any.

My vote: melee is too strong. I am certain that the overall tool of destruction in Halo 3 online is melee, and I think that's a bad thing.

MagniHarvald said:
Not to mention the netcode (red bar games every time today, and I'm open NAT and filtering by "'Good' connection").
That has nothing to do with netcode. That's either your connection, or an underpopulated playlist. Check your connection quality on pingtest.net.

Magni

alisdair said:
In an early Halo 3 Vidoc, Bungie said that the emphasis on dual-wielding in Halo 2 was a mistake, and their solution was the AR. If Reach's multiplayer is anything like Halo 3, I wonder what they consider the sandbox design mistakes this time.

My vote: melee is too strong. I am certain that the overall tool of destruction in Halo 3 online is melee, and I think that's a bad thing.

Melee too strong, close-range and automatic weapons on the whole OPed. Needler way too random on XBL (reminds me most of Halo 2's slotgun).

That has nothing to do with netcode. That's either your connection, or an underpopulated playlist. Check your connection quality on pingtest.net.

Sure, my connection hates Halo 3, yet I can play BF2 32v32 with close to no lag. Halo 3's netcode is shit, period. It's the aspect I want to see most improved MP-wise, followed by maps, and then weapon balance.

7246423.png

B means red bar 30% of the time, yellow bar 50% of the time, green bar 10% and full green 10%?

Oh yeah, almost forgot. PING NUMBERS. Get rid of the colored bar shit. At least give us the option between the two if you think some numbers are gonna scare some math-phobic preteens from your game.

Kujo

Just went back to a bit of H3 online after spending a while with MW2. Now I do not want to turn Halo in COD, but there are some things I do miss:

Run ability - Now a lot of times I've spawned too far away to disarm a bomb on time or try and return our flag. Being able to run for a limited time would at least give me a chance.

XP - While I don't know how I feel about COD giving you XP for frickin everything, I do like how you still get rewarded for playing well even on a bad team. Now what happened before in Halo was that my KD ratio was +15 and I got MVP, but my team was...not good, and we still lost. So my rank goes down, I get a loss, no XP, nothing. Basically what I'd like from the next Halo is to still reward players who did well on bad teams.

Killstreaks - Okay I'm joking with this one, but imagine getting a 25 killstreak and activating a Halo ring, killing everyone and ending the game :p

Gui_PT

Mojo said:
Now what happened before in Halo was that my KD ratio was +15 and I got MVP, but my team was...not good, and we still lost. So my rank goes down, I get a loss, no XP, nothing.

So right

Get rid of this pleaz Bungie

Merguson

Banned
MagniHarvald said:
Sure, my connection hates Halo 3, yet I can play BF2 32v32 with close to no lag. Halo 3's netcode is shit, period. It's the aspect I want to see most improved MP-wise, followed by maps, and then weapon balance.

7246423.png

B means red bar 30% of the time, yellow bar 50% of the time, green bar 10% and full green 10%?

Oh yeah, almost forgot. PING NUMBERS. Get rid of the colored bar shit. At least give us the option between the two if you think some numbers are gonna scare some math-phobic preteens from your game.

I assume BF2 is Battlefield 2?

If so, is it Battlefield 2 for the PC or is it the console version, Battlefield 2 Modern Combat?

Merguson said:
I assume BF2 is Battlefield 2?

If so, is it Battlefield 2 for the PC or is it the console version, Battlefield 2 Modern Combat?
It's the pc version (worked out due to player count).
Bit of a big difference between p2p (xbl) and dedicated server set-up.

Merguson

Banned
Zeouterlimits said:

Exactly. The comparison can't even be made. BF2 has servers set up globally.

feel

Zeouterlimits said:
The xbox live version uses dedicated servers too, so it's an unfair comparison either way.

GAF I need your help!

For reasons I cannot discuss I would like to know if anyone here has some good stratagies for getting a high score on Windward... Specifically Heroic on Windward, 25 minutes, 4 man.

If anyone here could help me out I would really appreciate it,

Thanks!

ps - miss you all <3

EazyB

Banned
alisdair said:
In an early Halo 3 Vidoc, Bungie said that the emphasis on dual-wielding in Halo 2 was a mistake, and their solution was the AR. I wonder what they consider the sandbox design mistakes in Halo 3, if any.

Totally agree with about the melee. Make the lung shorter and the damage much less. Melees should never, ever, be close to one's ToD but in Halo 3, and especially with AR starts, it's often the case. Goes back those fucking three pillars that are weighted all too evenly. The melee combat isn't even remotely as deep as the gunplay so Bungie needs to either heavily revamp it or nerf it.

And the other mistake is having a fully-auto, pray and spray, sloppy-gameplay inducing main weapon. Hopefully the trailer is an indication that they've figured that shit out though.

Devin Olsen said:
GAF I need your help!

For reasons I cannot discuss I would like to know if anyone here has some good stratagies for getting a high score on Windward... Specifically Heroic on Windward, 25 minutes, 4 man.
Winter Pentathlon Preview said:
Four players. Windward. No secondary skulls. Heroic difficulty. Best score after three consecutive sets or twenty minutes, whichever comes first. And before you get all high and mighty and report back that real men play Firefight on Legendary, let me say this: we are not real men. Never claimed to be. So. Suck. It. Down.

HRM.

Gui_PT

Devin Olsen said:
GAF I need your help!

Thanks!

ps - miss you all <3

I found that the best strategy is usually shooting them until they die

Shishka

Works for Bungie
Devin Olsen said:
GAF I need your help!

Thanks!

ps - miss you all <3

You can't help him. Firefight is already ours. Just like
You WISH I was going to tell you

You could probably light a candle in his memory, though. Better light one for every member of Old School though to be fair.

Shishka said:

You could probably light a candle in his memory, though. Better light one for every member of Old School though to be fair.
oh shi...

Get back to work Shishka! Pretend like you never saw this...

He doesn't stand a chance. . .

Shishka

Works for Bungie
Devin Olsen said:
oh shi...

You should help him, though. If Old School gets at least third in Firefight, that'd be two years in a row. A career best!

Magni

Letters said:
The xbox live version uses dedicated servers too, so it's an unfair comparison either way.

I know BF2 uses dedis, but do dedis make 32v32 lag less than H3's 4v4 or even 2v2? I understand dedis lag less for similar player counts, but in this case it's just dreadful.

EazyB

Banned
Devin Olsen said:
oh shi...

You are helping Bungie people in their pentathelon?

Let me just get this straight... Random kid who hasn't even played that much ODST gets to help the elderly at Bungie Studios... But someone like myself who has been a fan for like seven years, spent insane amounts of hours becoming a key asset to the community... and I drove all the way from eastern Washington to play Halo in Seattle, twice.

No, probably for the best that you get to do this. -_-

Also, I 100% have a better score then you. I checked B.net to see what you best score on Windward is 0 on easy! I could get a higher score playing with only my testicles blindfolded! My highscore on Windward is 50k+, Bungie, I can help better.

I blame racism.

Ramirez

EazyB said:

Let me just get this straight... Random kid who hasn't even played that much ODST gets to help the elderly at Bungie Studios... But someone like myself who has been a fan for like seven years, spent insane amounts of hours becoming a key asset to the community... and I drove all the way from eastern Washington to play Halo in Seattle, twice.

Also, I 100% have a better score then you. I checked B.net to see what you best score on Windward is 0 on easy! I could get a higher score playing with only my testicles blindfolded! My highscore on Windward is 50k+, Bungie, I can help better.

I blame racism.

obamam-lol-y-u-mad-tho.jpg

EazyB

Banned
If anyone's wondering why there's two FFA Mythic playlists up at the same time right now, it's just because the community playlist was pushed back another month.

Go community!

EazyB said:

I blame racism.
I am a bit confused here... Did we have some sort of a falling out? I don't get where all the hate is coming from.

EazyB

Banned
Devin Olsen said:
I am a bit confused here... Did we have some sort of a falling out? I don't get where all the hate is coming from.
I don't know why we need to get emotions involved here. Just basic math.

And this :lol

Achronos

I suppose Grizzled can
utterly fail at Firefight and claim to
deliberately lose again so that another team can get their names on the cup. After all, our names are listed first already. I guess it is your team's turn. Your ego is so very fragile, after all.

Shishka said:

Shishka

Works for Bungie
Achronos said:
I suppose Grizzled can
utterly fail at Firefight and claim to
deliberately lose again so that another team can get their names on the cup. After all, our names are listed first already. I guess it is your team's turn. Your ego is so very fragile, after all.

Yeah, pretty awesome that you guys added your name to a cup for a previous year's win. You probably could have done that going all the way back to when Bungie was a 20 man team but I know how Alzheimer's goes. We're just proud you didn't wet yourselves at the trophy store.

feel

Get back to work on Halo Reach all of you!!
j/k, you guys are probably all negative to the project, keep browsing gaf

kylej

Banned
EazyB said:
If anyone's wondering why there's two FFA Mythic playlists up at the same time right now, it's just because the community playlist was pushed back another month.

Looking forward to the simultaneous Halo 3 Community Playlist/Halo Reach launch.

EazyB

Banned
kylej said:
Looking forward to the simultaneous Halo 3 Community Playlist/Halo Reach launch.
:lol At this rate we might have a Halo 3 community playlist by the time New IP hits store shelves. Even then it'll be poorly managed with very little QA, gametype variation, and map addition/removal.

In all seriousness, this better not be any indication of how community content is handled in Reach. I'll reluctantly give Bungie the pass on this one as Forge was never really designed for this level of content creation but even then the things it was designed for (customizing gametypes/map variants) haven't been utilized to much of an extent. If they really plan to keep up this Atlas system the way it is now, it'll fail, again.

Kibbles

Bungie should record the pentathlon on film. With some focus on Halo: Reach. First Person screens/gameplay > Anything in GI.

Top Bottom