• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The official Mega Man 10 thread At least it's not Mega Man Universe.

jarosh

RadarScope1 said:
At the Wily stages and getting my ass kicked. I shuddered at the thought of grinding on previous stages so I could buy a ton of lives and tanks. But I started doing it. Then I realized I can only have 9 of each! I'm fairly new to MM so this probably the norm, but -- goddamn. All the way through with just 9 lives? It took everything I had just to beat the first Wily stage with my last slice of energy and no extra lives left. Not sure I have the patience to sufficiently memorize all this. Shame to get this far and quit, though. :\
well no, that's definitely not the norm. people don't generally "grind" to buy lives or e-tanks. consider that there's achievements for a) beating the game without continuing, b) beating the game without dying and c) beating the game without ever getting hit. plus, earlier mega man games did not have a shop and put even harsher restrictions on the amount of e-tanks you could carry.

if you're a complete mega man noob and primarily a modern gamer and not used to the challenge of some of the mure brutal 8-bit games then, yes, it's not THAT surprising that you're getting your ass kicked like that :p

also, remember that, while you can't save in between wily stages, you are NOT bumped back all the way to the beginning of wily's fortress if you lose all your lives, but to the beginning of the respective stage. only once you turn off your system you'll lose the progress you made in the fortress.

When I said 'norm,' I meant the cap on lives, not the grinding. I'm not new to 8-bit gaming but MM has always been a bit difficult for my tastes so I didn't spend much time on the series in the 80s and 90s. I guess it's just trial and error, and a hell of a lot of memorization. Took me dozens of tries to beat the Commando stage.

Davey Cakes

Medalion said:
I was just watching a walkthrough of Mega Man 10, it really does look very easy and very rushed of a game, tons and tons of callbacks to previous games, particularly the Wily Stages, recycled enemies and bosses, and sections in the game stretched out for the sake of stretching out some parts. Glad I didn't get this one.
Everything looks easy when you're watching it.

OnPoint

Wizpig said:
Wut.
The only thing easier than Mega Man 9 is the final boss.

Nah, 9 was definitely the more difficult game. Also, was more fun. I beat 10 in one 4-hour session. MM9 took me a few sessions over several days to finish.

Davey Cakes

I felt that 10 was easier in parts, but I'm also not sure if that's just because 9 trained me for it.

With MM9, there was the "Mega Man Effect" where the game kicked my ass even though I had played the older ones many times before, mostly due to the fact that, with a new game you don't know what to expect with the level design. But, I don't know, I felt much more capable of handling MM10 once I had played 9.

Wizpig

OnPoint said:
Nah, 9 was definitely the more difficult game. Also, was more fun. I beat 10 in one 4-hour session. MM9 took me a few sessions over several days to finish.
I had much more trouble finishing Mega Man 9, but that's simply because it was my first classic Mega Man game, I think.

And still, things like the elephants in Concrete Man stage gave me less trouble than other things in MM 10.

So i dunno, what i know is that one can't judge a game by watching a video.

Wizpig said:
I had much more trouble finishing Mega Man 9, but that's simply because it was my first classic Mega Man game, I think.

And still, things like the elephants in Concrete Man stage gave me less trouble than other things in MM 10.

So i dunno, what i know is that one can't judge a game by watching a video.
Anyone who thinks they can judge a game by its video is either an idiot or Roger Ebert.

Roto13

RadarScope1 said:
When I said 'norm,' I meant the cap on lives, not the grinding. I'm not new to 8-bit gaming but MM has always been a bit difficult for my tastes so I didn't spend much time on the series in the 80s and 90s. I guess it's just trial and error, and a hell of a lot of memorization. Took me dozens of tries to beat the Commando stage.
It's really not a matter of memorization. There's nothing you really need to know about in advance to be able to avoid it.

leroidys

10 overall is way easier, but that lightbulb asshole and the fort were way harder than any mini bosses in 9 (is in, still not that hard to beat but REALLY hard to not take damage and get impeded by them. on hard at least.)

Lijik

Ten was the easier game no contest.
Easiest time I ever had with Mega Man game actually (and I suck at pretty much all of them). Makes me wonder why they even felt the need for an easy mode.

Davey Cakes

Lijik said:
Ten was the easier game no contest.
Easiest time I ever had with Mega Man game actually (and I suck at pretty much all of them). Makes me wonder why they even felt the need for an easy mode.
Believe it or not, some people enjoy the gameplay of Mega Man but not the difficulty. Capcom just wanted to cater to a wider audience.

Solune

Can I get this soundtrack anywhere?

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=INTIR-16

Is there any hope for a Mega Man 11?

ENktN.png

Top Bottom