• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The official Mega Man 10 thread At least it's not Mega Man Universe.

Wizpig

jarosh said:
yes. except if you play on easy.
Ohhh, those easy noobs get all the easiest things!

I will play on easy with Proto Man, but now I'm playing Normal Mode.

I don't want to think about beating a mega man game on the NES without save :\

Jarosh can you help me on another thing? the Hard Rock achievement.
Can i do it on a save where I have already defeated that boss and the stage select is black? what about doing it in time trial?

jarosh

Wizpig said:

Jarosh can you help me on another thing? the Hard Rock achievement.
Can i do it on a save where I have already defeated that boss and the stage select is black? what about doing it in time trial?
time trial won't work afaik. at least in mm9 none of the challenges worked in time trial, so i assume it's the same for mm10. i have no idea if it works in an already completed stage though, sorry.

oh and the nes mega mans all have passwords (except for mm1). not as convenient as a save, but it's better than nothing.

Wizpig said:

Heh, I used to run through a NES Mega Man almost every day back when I was younger and had more time. I called it my "video game calisthenics".

jarosh

Segata Sanshiro said:
Heh, I used to run through a NES Mega Man almost every day back when I was younger and had more time. I called it my "video game calisthenics".
hey, i still do that. but i'm not "young" :'(

Davey Cakes

omg rite said:
I am pro two castles.
Me too. I'm also pro Doc Robot stages.

One of my biggest disappointments about MM9 was the fact that they went back to the ways of MM2 in terms of post-Robot Master stages. I eventually got over it, since MM9 ended up as an incredible game anyway, and I can even say that the DLC stages were a decent replacement for the extra castle.

At this point, if they were to bring out MM11, I'd probably take the MM3 approach over the MM4-6 one. While I enjoyed the extra castles, the Doc Robot stages were a great addition to the formula and its unfortunate that the "remixed level" approach hasn't been revisited.

jarosh

just goes to show how perfectly balanced mm3 was... introducing the slide = awesome, no charge buster = awesome, introducing rush = awesome, 4 additional (remixed) stages before the castle but no tacky second castle = awesome! just more proof that mm3 > mm2 :p

to be honest, i have always liked the additional castles. but i do prefer the doc robot stages from mm3.

Wizpig

I'm doing my own Robot Master weakness list for the boss rush... are we sure that Chill Man's is
Solar Blaze?
he still seems harder than other bosses - to think the first time I beat him I thought he was like Toad Man.

Doorman

I thought it was a particularly nice touch in Needle Man's stage that you could see the giant metools being constructed on your first run through the level, only to have them show up again later. I've always been kind of disappointed that they never returned to the Doc Robot fights
although I guess you could say the weapons archive fills that spot, to a lesser extent.
You'd think that going back to those levels would be right up Capcom's alley, since it lets them extend the play time of the game by quite a bit without creating new level assets.

I like MM10 a lot, though hard mode has been seriously kicking my ass. Blade Man is still the only level I've beaten. They hit a good stride with 10, but with that said I'm starting to hope that we don't start hearing about an 11 too soon.

jarosh

Wizpig said:
I'm doing my own Robot Master weakness list for the boss rush... are we sure that Chill Man's is
Solar Blaze?
he still seems harder than other bosses - to think the first time I beat him I thought he was like Toad Man.
yes, that's his weakness. i think he's one of the easier robot masters. once you figure out his pattern he's very easy to beat without taking damage.

Wizpig

I can't seem to learn his pattern, Jarosh.
Blade Man is the hardest boss in the game hands down, but after you learn his pattern he's weaker than Solar Man.

But Chill Man, I don't know.

Anyway,
Wily 1
is hard, I beat him once
with the Solar Blaze but Wily 2... I couldn't even begin to understand how it works.
I will NOT turn off my 360 now, I just muted the TV and I'll leave it there.

Btw

5271b90b2b5ecd6ccc03286197a96bdc.png

So happy I managed to unlock this during the boss rush, even if I wasted that half-damage item which i DIDN'T use in order to unlock the achievement since I basically used it at the eight boss -- oh and then of course i Game over'd after unlocking this, i'm an idiot.

Wizpig

I finished it yesterday and the final stage (THAT particular final stage) was absolutely epic and I wasn't expecting it.
The actual ending and the credits are inferior to 9, as are probably the robot master weapons.
The final boss was also a lot easier than in 9, is it the easiest Mega Man final boss ever or not?

db3b8d10d7dc10d325b1a547a2dab6ea.png

I did the first 3 achievements at Normal, and Hard Rock in Easy mode, even if it's pretty easy to do it at Normal too...

Anyway I started the game again, Easy Mode with Proto Man, 25 minutes and I'm at Wily Castle already. (...)
Thanks jarosh for the help these days.

jarosh

Wizpig said:
I finished it yesterday and the final stage (THAT particular final stage) was absolutely epic and I wasn't expecting it.
bravissimo! molto bene :p

Wizpig said:
The actual ending and the credits are inferior to 9, as are probably the robot master weapons.
The final boss was also a lot easier than in 9, is it the easiest Mega Man final boss ever or not?
yes, the whole wily battle (especially the last part) is one of the easiest in classic mega man, mm9's ending is much better and its robot master weapons are a lot more useful.

Wizpig said:
Anyway I started the game again, Easy Mode with Proto Man, 25 minutes and I'm at Wily Castle already. (...)
Thanks jarosh for the help these days.
ah, you're already getting better/faster, see? you'll be in the all clear top 50 in no time ;)

Wizpig

Yeah what I think is a minor problem with the game are the colors you "get" with the weapons.
Chill Man -> Mega Man becomes gray. really? REALLY? why not BLACK?! it's ice damn it.
Strike Man -> Purple? what?
etc.

The weapons... 9 is better, but I like some of the weapons here, too.

Both MM9 and 10 in my opinion are two of the best games this generation.
And I'd like to play 2 & 3.
And I'll buy MM Powered Up shortly mainly to play with Roll.

But back in topic, what I'll also buy is Bass after I finish Easy mode.
I'm going to try Hard mode with Bass:lol

jarosh

meh, i'm not a huge fan of proto man or bass. i've never liked bass. his gameplay style goes against everything i like in mega man games - stopping to shoot, not being able to move while shooting is just plain WRONG in a mega man game. i don't have any fun that way.

i hope they bring back the slide for mega man 11. it made little sense that they gave it to proto man in the first place.

you haven't played 2 or 3? what about 5 and 6? or 1 even? they are all excellent games! people often dismiss 1 because mega man controls a bit floatier. but really, you get used to it quickly and it's still a fun game. it's missing a few key components that we take for granted in mega man today, but it does have a couple of interesting, unique quirks and ideas that are different or altogether lost in the later games, among them a slightly darker, less goofy overall tone.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I'm trying to buy this frikkin game but it's saying that my credit card is invalid... I've bought stuff for years with the same card and I've confirmed that it's the right numbers. What the heck is going on?

I also downloaded the demo, beat it and when it asked me if I wanted to buy the game I chose "yes" and it said there's no content available for it atm.

GRRRRR, wtf!

Wizpig

640 MS Points for all the DLC unlock keys... Capcom is crazy!
Bass and the 3 special stages are crazy cheap, but endless mode is a scam.

jarosh said:
meh, i'm not a huge fan of proto man or bass. i've never liked bass. his gameplay style goes against everything i like in mega man games - stopping to shoot, not being able to move while shooting is just plain WRONG in a mega man game. i don't have any fun that way.

i hope they bring back the slide for mega man 11. it made little sense that they gave it to proto man in the first place.

you haven't played 2 or 3? what about 5 and 6? or 1 even? they are all excellent games! people often dismiss 1 because mega man controls a bit floatier. but really, you get used to it quickly and it's still a fun game. it's missing a few key components that we take for granted in mega man today, but it does have a couple of interesting, unique quirks and ideas that are different or altogether lost in the later games, among them a slightly darker, less goofy overall tone.

Unlike No More Heroes 2 or other games where I don't currently want a sequel, I'd buy Mega Man 11 tomorrow :lol
It never really gets boring, and while at first I thought 9 was perfect for the series finale (a Woman robot master, the epic ending with Mega Man showing Wily where he went wrong, etc.) now that we have 10 they really and honestly could make 10 more games.
But not like 2.
I, too, want the slide (so fun), but I don't want the charged shot.
What I also want is Mega Man 5-6 level of graphics and colors.

And to answer more directly, yep, I never really played 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 or 8.
I tried 1 for some minutes and thought it was fun but crazy f*cking hard.
I think the way I will play 1 will be Powered Up... as for the other ones who knows? the Gamecube collection didn't come out in Europe :|

Other MM games I played are Battle Network 1 (my first MM game), Star Force 1 and 2 and ZX.
Will buy the DS Zero collection that is coming out, but I still like the classic NES gameplay more. :\

Yoshichan, if you are from 360 check in your CC options if you miss the 3 secret numbers - last CC digit, sometimes they delete themselves for no reason even if you have your CC saved, and you can't purchase anything.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Edit: It finally works.

Sanic

Wizpig said:
640 MS Points for all the DLC unlock keys... Capcom is crazy!
Bass and the 3 special stages are crazy cheap, but endless mode is a scam.

I personally will put more playtime into endless attack than any other DLC, and I think many others will do the same, but I can see where you're coming from.

jarosh

the new stages and endless mode are out on 360? i just checked a few hours ago and they didn't show up for me.

wizpig: if you have a wii you could get 1 - 4 on the virtual console. the emulation is excellent. at least that's the case for the ntsc versions... since you're in europe, however, you're kinda screwed either way: the pal versions are pretty crappy and still unoptimized. they are 17% slower and horizontally stretched with black borders at the top and bottom. unacceptable if you ask me. i don't understand why they couldn't put in a bit of extra effort or just give us euros the ntsc versions. these pal versions are borderline unplayable.

Wizpig

Pandoracell said:
I personally will put more playtime into endless attack than any other DLC, and I think many others will do the same, but I can see where you're coming from.
240 points for a Premium Dashboard Theme is even worse... :\

Wizpig

jarosh said:
the new stages and endless mode are out on 360? i just checked a few hours ago and they didn't show up for me.

wizpig: if you have a wii you could get 1 - 4 on the virtual console. the emulation is excellent. at least that's the case for the ntsc versions... since you're in europe, however, you're kinda screwed either way: the pal versions are pretty crappy and still unoptimized. they are 17% slower and horizontally stretched with black borders at the top and bottom. unacceptable if you ask me. i don't understand why they couldn't put in a bit of extra effort or just give us euros the ntsc versions. these pal versions are borderline unplayable.
They come out tomorrow on the 360 but we already know the prices.

Yeah I have a Wii but it's European, you know what this means?
50 hz Mega Man games, as you say.
:'(

So... maybe I should try to search for the US collection, if those versions are ok.

Sanic

Wizpig said:
240 points for a Premium Dashboard Theme is even worse... :\

I'm sad to admit that I bought one about a year ago, I couldn't stand staring at that plain green and gray dash anymore :/

I think it's about time I do my second run through of MM10, don't know if i'll go for any of the achievements though.

jarosh

Wizpig said:
They come out tomorrow on the 360 but we already know the prices.

Yeah I have a Wii but it's European, you know what this means?
50 hz Mega Man games, as you say.
:'(

So... maybe I should try to search for the US collection, if those versions are ok.
you probably shouldn't ask me about the anniversary collection, lol. i'm notoriously picky and i think the emulation on the collection is awful. they botched one of the most integral parts of mega man: the music. the sound emulation is worse than what you get on one of those nes clones. and the picture quality is average at best. the games are upscaled internally and the resulting picture is blurry. the gamecube version actually has a bug in mm1: the sound effects are played back at more than double the speed, very annoying. and the ps2 version scales to a different reoslution for some reason which causes additional black bars on the sides.

on a plasma tv the best way to play the games is on an ntsc wii on the virtual console. second best is emulated on a modded xbox, followed by the originals on an nes through composite.

Wizpig

jarosh said:
you probably shouldn't ask me about the anniversary collection, lol. i'm notoriously picky and i think the emulation on the collection is awful. they botched one of the most integral parts of mega man: the music. the sound emulation is worse than what you get on one of those nes clones. and the picture quality is average at best. the games are upscaled internally and the resulting picture is blurry. the gamecube version actually has a bug in mm1: the sound effects are played back at more than double the speed, very annoying. and the ps2 version scales to a different reoslution for some reason which causes additional black bars on the sides.

on a plasma tv the best way to play the games is on an ntsc wii on the virtual console. second best is emulated on a modded xbox, followed by the originals on an nes through composite.
Blurrier than Mega Man 9 / 10 on Ps3 / 360?

jarosh

Wizpig said:
Blurrier than Mega Man 9 / 10 on Ps3 / 360?
i play mm9 and 10 on the 360 mostly. i set my 360 to 480p, 4:3 and turn up the sharpness on my tv. i have a panasonic plasma. this is the best way to play the games on the 360 on my set (and on most tv sets for that matter). they look pretty damn good like this. however, they are not perfect. the upscaling on both the 360 and the ps3 is not a simple 1:1 nearest-neighbor kind of deal; the algorithms on the hd systems involve a lot of smoothing, you'll never see perfectly rectangular pixels, no matter how much you turn up the sharpness on your tv.

the wii gives you a much cleaner and sharper picture for the mega man games (it uses a different upscaling algorithm that retains the angular edges), but again, only if you switch it to 4:3. i don't play the gamess on the wii for reasons i'm not gonna bother getting into right now. but visually you're definitely getting the absolute best experience if you play the games on the wii and i'd argue you also get the superior controls (classic controller or remote vs. 360 controller).

now, the anniversary collection looks worse than all of the above. it's blurrier and the picture is much less clean than mm9 or mm10 on the 360.

what tv do you have?

Wizpig

I played Mega Man 9 and 10 on the same TV, a 23'' LCD TV.
I played 9 on the Wii by setting it in 4:3, and 10 on the 360 at classic 720p.

It's not good to hear that the collection looks even worse
Also the music quality etc... it's a shame, really.

Anyway I finished the game now in Easy mode, unlocked No Coffee Break, blue bomber and tenacious.
Invincible is obviously easy as hell in easy mode but I didn't unlock it this run.
Mr.Perfect... o_O

Funny thing is that I still miss World Warrior and I honestly don't know which enemies I could have missed.. maybe some projectiles but damn.
I also miss Trusty Sidearm. (so boring :D :p)

Just a question, I "unlocked" Special Stage 1, can you do it only in time attack mode just like mega man 9? I hate it, 1 life and you have to clear a level you don't know!

jarosh

Wizpig said:
I played Mega Man 9 and 10 on the same TV, a 23'' LCD TV.
I played 9 on the Wii by setting it in 4:3, and 10 on the 360 at classic 720p.

It's not good to hear that the collection looks even worse
Also the music quality etc... it's a shame, really.

Anyway I finished the game now in Easy mode, unlocked No Coffee Break, blue bomber and tenacious.
Invincible is obviously easy as hell in easy mode but I didn't unlock it this run.
Mr.Perfect... o_O

Funny thing is that I still miss World Warrior and I honestly don't know which enemies I could have missed.. maybe some projectiles but damn.
I also miss Trusty Sidearm. (so boring :D :p)

Just a question, I "unlocked" Special Stage 1, can you do it only in time attack mode just like mega man 9? I hate it, 1 life and you have to clear a level you don't know!
yeah, i hate that. you can only play the special stages in time trial. they should have just made a seperate mode for them. i don't see why they couldn't just add a menu entry "special stages" and then let you play the stages with 3 lives and without the timer.

world warrior was a bitch in mm9 because you had to kill every kind of enemy in one playthrough and you only unlock the achievement at the end of the game. i didn't realize that for the longest time. i think in mm10 it keeps track of the enemies you defeat no matter what save you're on and you unlock the achievement while you play, so it's much easier. i got it in mm10 on my second playthrough though and i couldn't tell you what enemy you're missing, i wasn't really paying attention and was surprised to have unlocked it.

i can guarantee you that mm10 has much fewer enemies that you are likely to miss or that can only be defeated with a particular, powerful "kill-everything" special weapon, as the game doesn't really have any of those (as opposed to mm9: black hole bomb and tornado blow).

also: you should set your 360 to 480p and 4:3 for mega man.

IZZO

Neo Member
So I just started playing and I'm getting my ass kicked.:lol
Is it me or is it harder than MM9?

which boss should I start with?

jarosh

sheep man. depending on how good you are at recognizing patterns: blade man (he's the easiest to beat without taking damage if you "get" what's happening). if you prefer to bullet spam and/or if you're good at it: pump man (his shield can easily be destroyed if you shoot it often enough, stay close to him and let him jump over you).

jarosh

ohhhh yes, they are finally out on the 360 i just noticed. i know what i'll be doing as soon as i get home. ;)

i'll post impressions later then. the first special stage was a major letdown. let's hope these are better...

IZZO

Neo Member
thx for the tips jarosh.
I tried pump man and I got his health down 50% before i died. I should have had an energy tank with me.
next time I'll beat him :D

Wizpig

Any tips for that motherfucking piece of shit moron "Special Stage 1" boss?
I hate him.
Worst boss ever.
If the other 2 special stages have
bosses weak to the default weapon I will not buy them.
jarosh said:
yeah, i hate that. you can only play the special stages in time trial. they should have just made a seperate mode for them. i don't see why they couldn't just add a menu entry "special stages" and then let you play the stages with 3 lives and without the timer.
Also, this.

Wizpig

jarosh said:
also: you should set your 360 to 480p and 4:3 for mega man.
I would but that would also mean I should switch my TV to 4:3 all the time, and I'm really really lazy.
But since you say that by setting at 480p it's almost "Wii quality" I will try it later.

edit. Jarosh, what's your Xbox 360 tag?

jarosh

welp, the special stages are... boring. all of them. really don't know how else to put this. they're just incredibly plain and boring. i'd say the best one of the bunch is 3, which is somewhat inspired by rockman world 4 (mega man gb iv, which coincidentally is one of the best classic mega man games). i didn't find the weakness for punk (special stage 2) and i'm not even sure he has one, but ballade's weakness was quite obviously
punk's weapon

Wizpig said:
I would but that would also mean I should switch my TV to 4:3 all the time, and I'm really really lazy.
But since you say that by setting at 480p it's almost "Wii quality" I will try it later.

edit. Jarosh, what's your Xbox 360 tag?
dave schubert

Sanic

jarosh said:
welp, the special stages are... boring. all of them. really don't know how else to put this. they're just incredibly plain and boring. i'd say the best one of the bunch is 3, which is somewhat inspired by rockman world 4 (mega man gb iv, which coincidentally is one of the best classic mega man games). i didn't find the weakness for punk (special stage 2) and i'm not even sure he has one, but ballade's weakness was quite obviously
punk's weapon

Thanks, guess i'll save my $2. Probably still gonna buy endless attack though. I imagine you can't view replays of endless attack runs, correct?

jarosh

Pandoracell said:
Thanks, guess i'll save my $2. Probably still gonna buy endless attack though. I imagine you can't view replays of endless attack runs, correct?
good question. i didn't buy endless attack. dunno if i will. so i wouldn't know.

Wizpig

Pandoracell what game is your avatar from?

And you guys got any tips for Special Stage 1 boss?
My issue is... the "lack" of a pattern.
Sometimes he jumps, then he dashes towards you, and he's very easy to avoid.
But sometimes he makes a super jump, sometimes he stops in the middle of the screen... damn...

Sanic

Wizpig said:
Pandoracell what game is your avatar from?

But sometimes he makes a super jump, sometimes he stops in the middle of the screen... damn...

Megaman 4, Skull Man's stage. Can't help you with your second question, sorry :/. I have yet to make it to the boss on SS1.

Endless mode will consume me, I can see it now. MM9's did and MM10's is beginning to :lol
Managed a half decent run of 295 screens on the 360 version (joint second on the leaderboards) but lost to Blade Man of all people! I see several homages to other stages including
Plug Man, Bubble Man & Gemini Man

I love the 2 other Special Stages. The music for Special Stage 3 is fantastic.

Wizpig said:

What I did against Enker was:

- Stand at the opposite end of the screen (always do this).
- No matter which method he decides to use, its 100% possible to jump over him as long as you are at the opposite end of the screen. His jumps are slow enough that they give you enough time to jump over him just before he lands on you.

Which version of the game are you playing? If its the 360 version then I think you should be able to view my replay which should give a clearer indication of how to dodge Enkers attacks. My gamertag is Gouki16uk and I was ranked around 50-70th last I checked.

Wizpig

Shadowman16 said:
What I did against Enker was:

- Stand at the opposite end of the screen (always do this).
- No matter which method he decides to use, its 100% possible to jump over him as long as you are at the opposite end of the screen. His jumps are slow enough that they give you enough time to jump over him just before he lands on you.

Which version of the game are you playing? If its the 360 version then I think you should be able to view my replay which should give a clearer indication of how to dodge Enkers attacks. My gamertag is Gouki16uk and I was ranked around 50-70th last I checked.
Thanks, I will try that and I will check the replay.

Sanic

Can anybody tell me what level the song in this video is from?http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVJ9XiGt9Dw It starts when the stage starts.

I think i'm gonna cave and buy endless attack. I honestly didn't put a whole lot of time into it on MM9, but I don't know... I have exactely 240 ms points left, so I might as well :lol I noticed only 16 people have given it in a rating in the US on 360, wonder if its selling poorly.

Wizpig

Pandoracell said:
I noticed only 16 people have given it in a rating in the US on 360, wonder if its selling poorly.
Not only the DLC, but the whole game, for sure.
I think it sold better on Wii and/or Ps3 but I don't have any "proof", just that 360 users seem to hate Mega Man.

You know the rating the game has in my country? 2 and a half stars.
... I gave it 5, but it's not helping.

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
Pandoracell said:
Can anybody tell me what level the song in this video is from?http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVJ9XiGt9Dw It starts when the stage starts.

I think i'm gonna cave and buy endless attack. I honestly didn't put a whole lot of time into it on MM9, but I don't know... I have exactely 240 ms points left, so I might as well :lol I noticed only 16 people have given it in a rating in the US on 360, wonder if its selling poorly.

Mega Man 5, Proto Man's Castle.

Sanic

Wizpig said:
Not only the DLC, but the whole game, for sure.
I think it sold better on Wii and/or Ps3 but I don't have any "proof", just that 360 users seem to hate Mega Man.

You know the rating the game has in my country? 2 and a half stars.
... I gave it 5, but it's not helping.

That's sad. I think it's 4.5 in the US. As far as how the game as a whole is selling, I think it's doing alright. It was the 11th best seller for the week of april 16th. Could be a lot better, but oh well

TheCardPlayer said:
Mega Man 5, Proto Man's Castle.

Thanks.

Top Bottom