• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The official Mega Man 10 thread At least it's not Mega Man Universe.

geinou

Neo Member
So, I tried the easy mode, and it's definitly a great opportunity for non-Mega-Man-players to enjoy the game. For me, it's a piece of cake. Beat all the robot masters in under an hour, while dying twice.

But I love it so far. Will definitly beat the game on normal difficutly, when I finished it on easy.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
So I've tried Hard mode numerous times now, on both Pump Man and Sheep Man's stages. I've unintentionally grinded enough to get enough bolts to purchase 9 lives... and I still can't beat either stage!!

I think I am just going to give up hope of finishing the game on Hard. It makes me feel so bad as a gamer that I can't even complete one level. I'm not worthy! :(
Every time I boot up the game to "make a pass at Hard Mode" I just end up giving up, feeling terrible about myself, and trying some Challenge Mode stuff.

Maybe I'll just do a Protoman Normal run until Bass gets here. Oh well

geinou

Neo Member
Is there any change to the game, except of the gameplay of course, when playing as Proto Man? According to the menu, he and Mega Man can do different things. Should I maybe play on "normal" with him, to get a different experience?

geinou said:
Is there any change to the game, except of the gameplay of course, when playing as Proto Man? According to the menu, he and Mega Man can do different things. Should I maybe play on "normal" with him, to get a different experience?
Proto Man has the charge shot and the slide, as well as a shield that activates when you're airborne and not shooting that blocks a lot of bullets. Unfortunately he takes a *lot* more damage from hits than Mega does.

I'm playing through on Hard with him right now. This is going to take a while.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Okay, whose bright idea was it to map weapon cycling to the B trigger on the Wiimote? Seriously? I keep accidentally hitting it, sometimes when I'm trying to press Left, other times just randomly. It messes you up just a bit when you're mashing fire, and suddenly you've got the Aqua Shield equipped. Just a bit.

Ughh, is Mega Man 7 really that bad? Is my judgemend this clouded by the fact that it was the first classic MM game I've ever played as I never had access to an NES as a kid? 8 is garbage, I'll give you that but while 7 certainly isn't perfect, it doesn't even seem to approach 8's utter crappiness.

magicalsoundshower said:
Ughh, is Mega Man 7 really that bad? Is my judgemend this clouded by the fact that it was the first classic MM game I've ever played as I never had access to an NES as a kid? 8 is garbage, I'll give you that but while 7 certainly isn't perfect, it doesn't even seem to approach 8's utter crappiness.
It's nowhere near as bad as The Pastel Nightmare, but it definitely feels "off" a bit from the NES installments. I think it had a lot of cool ideas, though.

Doorman

Segata Sanshiro said:
Well, first, I want to point out that that particular point was by no means the only thing causing me to dislike MM10. I probably should have made a whole list or something. Anyway, it *is* a common element in the series, but I always prefer a boss room that's a bit different. Why? Because it makes the Boss Gauntlet fight later in the game feel fresh.

I'm not going to go off on talkies about other installments because I don't think it's terribly relevant to my assessment of this game, but if you must know, I prefer the first three as far as the classic series goes, and I'll think you'll find that particularly in the case of the first two, the boss room configurations are mostly different from the Boss Rush version of the room.

I can't speak for the first game very well, but are you sure the boss rooms are different in 2 and 3? I know for sure in MM3 that the few bosses with unique room layouts (Spark Man, Snake Man...actually those are the only two I can think of) keep that same layout in their rematch, because that's the way their patterns are designed. I'm less sure about 2, but even then off the top of my head, I can only think of Flash and Quick Man as having anything other than a flat room (and the ceiling spikes in Bubble Man's room I suppose). I really don't think that the unique-shaped boss rooms are as prevalent in the other games as you seem to be recalling.

Doorman said:
I can't speak for the first game very well, but are you sure the boss rooms are different in 2 and 3? I know for sure in MM3 that the few bosses with unique room layouts (Spark Man, Snake Man...actually those are the only two I can think of) keep that same layout in their rematch, because that's the way their patterns are designed. I'm less sure about 2, but even then off the top of my head, I can only think of Flash and Quick Man as having anything other than a flat room (and the ceiling spikes in Bubble Man's room I suppose). I really don't think that the unique-shaped boss rooms are as prevalent in the other games as you seem to be recalling.
MM3 only has two unique rooms: Spark Man and Snake Man. Honestly, I think MM3 has pretty weak boss fights, but it more than makes up for it by having some of the best levels of the series.

MM2 has four: Metal Man (the conveyor belts), Bubble Man (the top spikes plus water gravity), Flash Man, and Quick Man. MM1 has three: Cut Man, Elec Man, and Guts Man.

Sanjuro

SonicMegaDrive said:
7 isn't nearly as bad as 8. In fact, it's pretty good for what it is.

It's just not as good as the 8-bit Mega Man games.
Pretty much. I would say seven is the worst just because you have X spraying baby batter all over its face.

geinou

Neo Member
Segata Sanshiro said:
Proto Man has the charge shot and the slide, as well as a shield that activates when you're airborne and not shooting that blocks a lot of bullets. Unfortunately he takes a *lot* more damage from hits than Mega does.

I'm playing through on Hard with him right now. This is going to take a while.

Thanks. Seems like a challenge playing with him. Going to try him out.

I think 7 is pretty awesome, the boss fights are particularly good and the weapon are pretty cool to use (I especially like the sword one), it has some nice musics, great levels, I'm not sure why people seem to hate it that much. But for some reason, tons of people hate the feeling of the game, I guess they're too used to the NES games. I always thought that the NES games sprites were way too little, especially with the boss, it's stupid how most the fight don't even use half of the screen since you're stuck in the lower part.

ryan13ts

I know I'm in the minority in that I loved 8 (Minus the awful voice acting) and cared little for Mega Man 9. I grew up on the classic Mega Man games, and 8 just seemed a natural evolution to me, especially in the graphics department. In all honesty, I'm extremely disappointed that Capcom went with the "old school" 8-bit style for 9 & 10, instead of high quality HD graphics which they should have done.

I don't have any problems with throwbacks to classics to a certain degree, but I just find it lazy to make an entire sequel in the 8-bit style, on top cutting away certain gameplay features (Like the charged shot for Mega in 9) on top of that. It almost shits on the meaning of the word "sequel", which implies an evolution and improvement on the prior title, not a step back in practically every way.

When I think of how 9 & 10 could have looked with hand-drawn 2D sprites, it makes me pissed off that we got the lazy 8-bit approach instead. Furthermore, considering how well Mega Man 9 did, it breaks my heart to know that Capcom will continue to pump out installments in this fashion that requires almost no effort at all, but turns over an insane profit. I doubt they'll ever put out another title that gameplay wise, and graphically deserves to be a classic numbered Mega Man game.

Yaweee

I played through 5, 6, 7, and 8 for the first time this week, and I don't get the hate for 8 either. The vehicle parts are fucking horrible and the rest of the game is too easy, but I for the most part really enjoyed the level design and boss fights.

7 though... just feels really clunk. I actually haven't beaten the Wily stages yet because of it. Everything feels slower than a regular MM game. Duplo Man 7.

5 and 6 were both fun, 5 more so than 6. I really like its soundtrack, too.

KevinCow

Banned
ryan13ts said:
I just find it lazy to make an entire sequel in the 8-bit style
the lazy 8-bit approach
requires almost no effort at all

Lazy? Fuck off. You clearly don't understand what goes into making a game.

ryan13ts

KevinCow said:
Lazy? Fuck off. You clearly don't understand what goes into making a game.

I know that using 8-bit sprites (some of which already existed from prior games) requires little work vs. using hand drawn high quality sprites and backgrounds.

You don't have to be a rocket scientist to know that something like this:
Momohime_VS_Orge.jpg

requires far more work than something like this:
mega-man-9-20080716095219852_640w.jpg

ryan13ts

Himuro said:
Dude, you really think they'd release a Mega Man with hand drawn art? Why do think we're getting MM titles esxclusively for dd services and not in physical form? Why do you think we haven't gotten a new Mega Man that isn't one of those stupid CockForce games since MMZXA outside of MM9 and MM10? And finally, why do you figure MM9/10 are in 8-bit?

Because Mega Man games don't SELL THAT WELL anymore outside of the fanbase and the 8-bit graphics are the best way to cater to people who played MM as a kid. I think they've tried and tried again to get a new fanbase but it's clearly not working out of a few exceptions (for example, me. I didn't grow up playing MM but I've played and own the majority of the series now).

It's nice to want things, isn't it?

Your defiantly right that the people buying MM games is a pretty small group in comparison to say, a series like Resident Evil. What your saying is basically why I think it's a lazy choice on Capcom's part to go with the 8-bit style for 9 & 10. I understand from their prospective it'd be a rather big waste of money and resources to go all out for a series with a relatively small target group, but it would have been nice to have seen something that was at least current instead of many steps back. Hell, it wouldn't have had to been high quality hand drawn art.... even art similar in style to Mega Man 8 would have been a better choice (and with technology in this gen, wouldn't have taken a huge amount of resources)

I guess it's just like you said, it's nice to want things... even if you know you won't be getting them :lol

Sciz

magicalsoundshower said:
MM7 is generally well-designed, it just has a bunch of mechanical issues that are resolved by
KevinCow said:
I think it's amazing how much better MM7 got with the 8-bit fan remake.
this.

leroidys

I'm going to chime in and agree with jarosh and segata, but that's a given because they understand how bad MM4 is. I haven't been playing it that much, and I'm one achievement away from platinum, and it's honestly not going to be that hard to get it on easy. Wily is a joke, as are his stages. The difficulty is really poor, but even worse, the gameplay is totally unimaginative. I loooooved 9. It was my favorite after 3 and I liked it even more than 2. Mega man 10 just seems like they had about half of a good game planned out and then did the rest in two weeks.

-Mid bosses suck, especially wily castle boss 2 (shoot a crab in the face for 3 minutes man).

+New devil machine is good, clever use of space.

+Sheep man's weapon is novel and useful in certain situations. Put it over a gap to zap those parachute bombs before they can hit you.

+Sheep man's level is fun, both with the disappearing color blocks and the electricity treadmills. It could be tougher though. It's very easy even on hard mode.

-Music mostly sucks, only a few good tracks such as nitro man and pump man's stages.

-Weapons are basically all just projectiles, nitro mans weapon would be cool but there's not really anywhere to use to go up walls thats very useful.

-Stages are really ugly.

+ A ton of content. This really saves the game for me and keeps me from hating it. The challenges are awesome (in that you can practice on bosses in all 3 difficulties), protoman is free, hard and easy mode are included.

It's just very bleh. Not MMZXA horrible, but still a piss poor follow up to 9.

KevinCow

Banned
ryan13ts said:
I know that using 8-bit sprites (some of which already existed from prior games) requires little work vs. using hand drawn high quality sprites and backgrounds.

You don't have to be a rocket scientist to know that something like this: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/0d/Momohime_VS_Orge.jpg[IMG]

requires far more work than something like this: [IMG]http://wiimedia.ign.com/wii/image/article/890/890749/mega-man-9-20080716095219852_640w.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

If A takes more work than B, that doesn't inherently make B a product of laziness.

Are you going to tell me that all movies that don't heavily use CGI and other special effects are lazy next? Man, Slumdog Millionaire was so lazy compared to Transformers!

Do you honestly believe that the driving decision behind making MM9 and 10 8-bit was, "Hey, how can we make a game and be really lazy about it?" as opposed to, "Hey, everyone loves the 8-bit Mega Man games, but not so much the later ones, so what if we made a retro throwback?"

Big One

Banned
ryan13ts said:

You don't have to be a rocket scientist to know that something like this:
Momohime_VS_Orge.jpg

requires far more work than something like this:
mega-man-9-20080716095219852_640w.jpg
Artistically, yes. Programming, however, is one the same level of work, and that is what makes a game.

You also have to remember that all of that stuff is drawn. I mean it's possible Capcom developers used MS Paint or something to make those sprites, but if they were going for a true authentic take then most likely what they did was digitize hundreds of little drawings to form every sprite in the game. I'm not sure what method they did, but if they did the old way of creating sprites they drawn just as much as the guys at Vanillaware did.

Sciz

Rash said:
I'm not getting the negative things about Mega Man 4, either.
It's been a while since I've been through MM4 so the game design issues are kinda fuzzy, but most of the music is ruined by the horrendous drums.

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
Himuro said:
MM4 is really bad, and I'm not seeing the comparison between MM4 and MM10 here. MM4 is not fun outside of one stage. MM10 is fun throughout.

Well, MM10 is probably the best classic MM, while MM4 is...well...pretty okay...?

Big One said:
Artistically, yes. Programming, however, is one the same level of work, and that is what makes a game.

You also have to remember that all of that stuff is drawn. I mean it's possible Capcom developers used MS Paint or something to make those sprites, but if they were going for a true authentic take then most likely what they did was digitize hundreds of little drawings to form every sprite in the game.
I'm pretty sure most sprites in classic 8 and 16 bit games were drawn and animated pixel for pixel, it's really a pretty efficient way to work if you only have a small resolution and a limited palette to work with -- at least in my opinion. I think only games that used extremely complex, lifelike animations were created using special animation software.

dralla

what the hell, did anyone else know you could ride the wheel cutter up walls? jump at a wall and shoot it and you'll ride it like an elevator.

Mike M

Nick N
dralla said:
what the hell, did anyone else know you could ride the wheel cutter up walls? jump at a wall and shoot it and you'll ride it like an elevator.
Yeah, it's a cool little gimmick, but it doesn't have any useful applications not better handled by Rush Coil.

Bloody shame, 'cause it's neat as hell.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
:lol yeah I figured out the wheel cutter thing too. I learned it after I beat the game in the Challenge Mode... but yeah it's completely worthless during the main course of the game. I doubt there's anywhere where it's practical and a good solution.

Davey Cakes

So today I finally decided to stop being lazy and turned my Wii and TV to 4:3 display, just to see what the difference is for games like Mega Man 10.

Wow. That's all I have to say. Wish I had been playing like this all along.

Rash said:
So today I finally decided to stop being lazy and turned my Wii and TV to 4:3 display, just to see what the difference is for games like Mega Man 10.

Wow. That's all I have to say. Wish I had been playing like this all along.

I downloaded MM10 the other day (wiiware) and started playing, I remembered your post so I tried it, didn't look good on my TV. For me, when in 16:9 it looks a little blurry and cloudy, but when I set everything to 4:3, the sharpness went apeshit! I hate messing with the display settings on my TV, so I just put it back to 16:9, not a big deal for me.

I've been around the streets of Mega Man long enough to have a general idea on the boss order based off their names and powers, and think I got the order right 3 for 3 by now:

I went with (on normal difficulty):

1. Sheep man
Easy as pie, holy shit I nearly beat him my first shot with only half my power meter, it came down to last shot but he got me. I just got him right afterwards, though. His level was too easy

2. Pump man
He was also easy because I guessed his weakness right, I used Sheep man's thunder cloud and it dealt so much damage to Pump man all I had to do was mindlessly stand there and hit him like 3x with it. I don't even know what his fighting pattern was like. His level was easy but cool, but there was one spot that looked like a branching path? I couldn't tell if the down path was actually a path or a cliff, I didn't take it for fear of it being a cliff

3. Solar man
Yep, water beats the sun, I figured because he's kinda fire based. Same thing with Pump man, his weakness to the water shield was so severe that I didn't have to dodge attacks or anything, I just stood right next to him and turned on the shield til he died. His level was satisfying though, aside from the my eyes are bleeding red background, I loved dodging the heat arcs and laser shooting guys while running on the treadmills

I turned it off for the night at this point and I don't think the boss order is as obvious at this point, I think the next one is
Chill man cuz I'll use the Solar power on him
and then
Nitro man, thinking that he'll slip on the ice

The rest of the bosses don't seem as obvious, Commando Man, Blade Man, Strike Man... they could be weak to anything

I'm loving it so far, though! Capcom, never stop making these!

At the beginning of this month I was kind of excited for MM10.
Now? I'll be lucky if I haven't sworn off the series forever. Fuck those dumb games.

PepsimanVsJoe said:
At the beginning of this month I was kind of excited for MM10.
Now? I'll be lucky if I haven't sworn off the series forever. Fuck those dumb games.

really? what don't you like about them? what was the final nail in the coffin for you?

Gryphter said:
really? what don't you like about them? what was the final nail in the coffin for you?

I had the bright idea to play through the first 9 Megaman games back-to-back in preparation for 10.
It got tiring after awhile and then 7 broke me. The thought of playing 8 which I remember absolutely despising made me decide I wasn't coming back anytime soon.

I'll pick up MM10 eventually...like maybe several years from now.

On the bright side at least MMX9 hasn't been announced. Playing through MMX1-8 would make me kill myself..there's no doubt about that. I would just run headfirst into a wall until I could no longer move.

PepsimanVsJoe said:
I had the bright idea to play through the first 9 Megaman games back-to-back in preparation for 10.
It got tiring after awhile and then 7 broke me. The thought of playing 8 which I remember absolutely despising made me decide I wasn't coming back anytime soon.

aww man, 7 and 8 are the worst, don't let them break your spirit! I did the same exact thing in preparation for MM9, which actually bummed me out not from getting tired of them, but because I didn't complete them in time and had to wait like a week and a half after release before I could play 9, but it really honed my skills. 7 is so horrible, it's the only one I let myself look at a FAQ for because I just wanted to get that game over with. MM8 is ok, but it really is the weird one in the family. I know you wanted to play them all to prepare for 10, but to be honest, I think 7 and 8 can be skipped without feeling guilty

jarosh

PepsimanVsJoe said:

On the bright side at least MMX9 hasn't been announced. Playing through MMX1-8 would make me kill myself..there's no doubt about that. I would just run headfirst into a wall until I could no longer move.
lol. i replay all of them all the time. and i played through them all after mm9 and before mm10 again. never got tiring. fucking loved every minute of it. (of course i'm not playing 7 or 8 usually, maybe that was your mistake).

eXistor

I love MM10. The music definitely isn't the best in the series but I found a lot of the tunes to be really catchy. I personally found it to be harder than MM9, but I was kind of playing it on and off, not in huge chunks like I did MM9. All in all I loved the game and I hope they'll be continuing the series for the next few years at least.

eXistor

I have that MM collection on the Cube, but I've never felt the urge to play MM7 and 8, it's just not Mega Man.

How do you guys feel about Mega Man X collection? I just got it on PS2 but the only ones I played back in the day are 1 and 4. How are the rest of them? My backlog is down to like 6 games so I'll be playing this relatively soon

Davey Cakes

Regardless of whether or not people like MM7 and/or MM8, MM9 and MM10 return things to how they were with the first six games. They take the basic fundamental formula (where MM games shine) and just add a few things to it here in there in terms of features. Everything else from the NES games is left intact. You could say that Capcom made MM9 and MM10 for fans of the Mega Man series in general, but really, the point is to cater to those who appreciate the basic-yet-tight gameplay and presentation from the series' earlier days.

Gryphter said:
How do you guys feel about Mega Man X collection? I just got it on PS2 but the only ones I played back in the day are 1 and 4. How are the rest of them? My backlog is down to like 6 games so I'll be playing this relatively soon
X1-X3 are great, 4 is a mixed bag, 5 and 6 are terrible.

leroidys

Gryphter said:

4>1>2>(8>)5>3>6(>7)

Four is so awesome, one is a classic, two is a great sequel. Five is kind of an okay wrap up the series, 3 is a pretty bad game, 6 is horrible.

As for the ps2 games,
7 is just unbelievably bad, 8 is pretty good but I would say it's overrated on gaf.

Top Bottom