• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The official Mega Man 10 thread At least it's not Mega Man Universe.

Gryphter said:
How do you guys feel about Mega Man X collection? I just got it on PS2 but the only ones I played back in the day are 1 and 4. How are the rest of them? My backlog is down to like 6 games so I'll be playing this relatively soon

1, 2 and 4 are great.

Avoid the rest. This goes double for 3, triple for 5 & 8, and quadruple for 6 & 7.

It's too bad really cause I actually prefer how MMX plays over original MM. But for some reason Capcom decided to jump the shark hardcore for the X series.

Holy shit, I was expecting X1-3 to be the loved ones and 4-6 to be the hated ones. I plan on playing all of them but I hope I don't run into what Pepsiman did with MM7

Himuro said:
MMX5 is NOT bad and is one of most underrated MM titles.

Good god, THANK YOU for being a voice of reason. I've always felt 5 was better than 4, in fact. 4 just felt... I dunno, sort of hollow to me like its entire point was "look at me! I have FMV".

I just finished MM10 last night. I have to admit that i am a little disappointed. The very first thing that annoyed me was finding out there was a border on the side of the screen (PS3). MM9 didn't have on and looked great in HD, why the step back?

MM10 felt uninspired to me. Level design was so so. The stage peices were nice but i felt the color and feel were off. Enemies felt like redesigned enemies of previous games and were more annoying than hard. Mid bosses weren't as good as MM9's mid bosses. I especially didn't like Wily Stage 1 Boss, very lazy and boring.

I think it's fair to say that MM10 has the worst designed Robot Masters of the main series. Too many of the them were remakes of other robot masters without giving them their own unique take on them. The bosses were harder in 10 but they didn't feel cheap at all. The power ups didn't seem usefull at all outside boss weakness's except for one or two.

The challange mode is very cool. A nice new take. The "trophy" system is present but watered down compared to MM9. MM9's created many more playthroughs. I also cant believe Mr. Perfect is actually a Trophy. The only one i couldn't do in MM9.

IMHO MM9 is the best of the series. MM10 I felt was just a quick follow up using the assets of MM9 without the care of the other series greats.

MM 9 > 4 > 3 > 2 > 5 > 6 > 1 > 10 > 7 > 8

Solune

Himuro said:
X4 > X2 > X1 > X8 > X5 >>>>> X3 >>>>> X6 >>>>> X7

Ah, someone who shares my distaste with MMX3.

Copy pasta enemies, little to no enemy variety, boring and uninspired level design, low challenge, just all around mediocre.

Say what you will about MMX5, it has this stage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0W0cXAEx6Q

So is it you like the actual stage or Bubble Crab's music?
For me its X3 > X2 > X5> X1 > X4.

X4 is a solid game, other then "What am I fighting forrrrrrr!"

Himuro said:
Both. The stage itself is fun as fuck.

I will say, though, that it's refreshing to see X8 getting some love. After the awful X7, X8 was not only a return to form but exactly what I always wanted in next-gen platformers that wanted to take advantage of newer tech while retaining the old-school feel.

Lijik

Gryphter said:
Holy shit, I was expecting X1-3 to be the loved ones and 4-6 to be the hated ones. I plan on playing all of them but I hope I don't run into what Pepsiman did with MM7

Playing MM8 and not running into that is going to be extremely difficult.

EDIT- Just realized you meant the X games. In that case same thing I just said but with X7

Sanic

Mafro said:
Got any pics of it?

Yes, this. I've only ever purchased one premium theme but I might have to make that two.

And something has come up and I won't be able to play this for another 8 or 9 hours. RRAAAAGGGGEE!

I had time for just 1 stage and boss last night, Chill Man:
damn his level was hard! The breakable ice platforms, the jumping metal dudes, and the birds with the rockets part got me quite a number of times. I got to the boss after a few tries with about 65% health and tried Solar Man's weapon on him, it worked, but not as well as I thought it would. I had extra lives so thought I would just test the weapons, but before I knew it he had 1 hit left, I had like 2 hits left, and my weapon had 1 shot left! Oh shit, got a little carried away with that and if I died, the Solar Man weapon would be drained!! Luckily I got him, not entirely sure if that was the most effective weapon against him, though. After seeing what Chill Man's weapon looks like, I'm certain it's for use against Nitro Man.

I don't think I'll have time to play tonight though, a buddy of mine wants to do a Crawmerax run in Borderlands. This would be awesome with the exception that I'm ONLY LEVEL 50! It's gonna be rough...

edit: +1 to pics of theme request, please

FINALLY.

My god, this is hard.

I've sampled all 8 stages, no robot masters yet. Will get more time and detailed thoughts later.

I was expecting Easy shit after all the GAF impressions.

Talk about a rude awakening.

And I've been playing 9 in preparation. 10 is the same or harder. Love the challenge, love the levels.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Arpharmd B said:
I was expecting Easy shit after all the GAF impressions.

Talk about a rude awakening.

And I've been playing 9 in preparation. 10 is the same or harder. Love the challenge, love the levels.
Oh? I thought 10 was REALLY easy compared to 9.

Princess Skittles said:
Oh? I thought 10 was REALLY easy compared to 9.

Well it's kicking my ass, and I haven't found a free boss and stage like I did in 9 (hello, Galaxy Man) yet...

I really, really, really don't want to have to resort to energy tanks just to get my hands on a sub weapon... that's for losers, yet I probably will pussy out and do it :(

Arpharmd B said:
Well it's kicking my ass, and I haven't found a free boss and stage like I did in 9 (hello, Galaxy Man) yet...

I really, really, really don't want to have to resort to energy tanks just to get my hands on a sub weapon... that's for losers, yet I probably will pussy out and do it :(
Sheep Man. If you can't do him without assistance, you might as well give up your dignity now.

Segata Sanshiro said:
Sheep Man. If you can't do him without assistance, you might as well give up your dignity now.

I just did Blade Man as my first robot master.

Easy stage, took me 4 tries to learn the pattern of the boss.

I'm exactly like 30 minutes total play time so I'm gunna shut my mouth about impressions, difficulty etc. right now. I do like what I've played so far.

The shop and E-Tanks are a crutch for the weak. I do this like a man, stage by stage, pattern by pattern. Next stop the sheep.

Arpharmd B said:
I just did Blade Man as my first robot master.

Easy stage, took me 4 tries to learn the pattern of the boss.

I'm exactly like 30 minutes total play time so I'm gunna shut my mouth about impressions, difficulty etc. right now. I do like what I've played so far.

The shop and E-Tanks are a crutch for the weak. I do this like a man, stage by stage, pattern by pattern. Next stop the sheep.

Wow, I thought Blade Man was supposed to be the last one to fight, he looks intimidating and it's not obvious what his weakness would be (I haven't tried him yet). Also I have no qualm using the shop or E-Tanks, especially the ones you find in-stage. It is kinda cheap that you can just abuse E-tanks, though. That's how I beat Wily on my first shot in MM9, I saved up like 7 and just used a bunch of them to outlast him

Gryphter said:
Wow, I thought Blade Man was supposed to be the last one to fight, he looks intimidating and it's not obvious what his weakness would be (I haven't tried him yet). Also I have no qualm using the shop or E-Tanks, especially the ones you find in-stage. It is kinda cheap that you can just abuse E-tanks, though. That's how I beat Wily on my first shot in MM9, I saved up like 7 and just used a bunch of them to outlast him

See I just feel like E-Tanks and the shop suck all the challenge and fun out of MM9 and 10. I mean if you abuse that system then they are not challenging at all.

Learning the boss patterns is fun. Blade man is easy, you can
walk underneath his attacks and he has a tell when he comes down - an obvious pause - before he pounces. Learn that and he's a cake walk.

Turbo Man gave me problems. I beat him with a pixel left. When he's a bike it's free hits but then he fires off like 6 of his Metal Man wheel weapon things, and I just sit there and take the hits pumping him full of lead.

Also took down Sheep Man, and Segata was right he was easy. Solar Man was also too easy - like a wimpy version of Magma Man. The stages for Solar and Sheep were challenging though.

In fact Solar Man's board without sub weapons is nigh impossible. How are you supposed to get up the ladders when there are flame guys every which way and two laser cannons on the left... I eventually just used Blade to take out the lasers. This stage actually feels much like a MM9 Wily board.

Commando Man's board is giving me problems. The sand is way more troublesome than say the weather effects in Tornado Man ever were.
I'm finishing the game tonight to post my detailed thoughts and opinions.

Sanic

Wow, that premium theme is kinda...meh. It's just the blue background with all of the MegaMan poses, it does....not look good.

I've only had a chance to play one stage and that was Commando Man. After hearing everything about how easy the game was, I was somewhat suprised, as it wasn't exactley a cakewalk. I'll get to play more soon thankfully.

EDIT: Sweet you can look at replays for the time attack runs.

Ok so I'm at Wily and here's some of my opinions on the game.

I fucking love it. It's fantastic. It's just as fun, challenging, and rewarding as 9. There is no other game I'd rather be playing this year.

Inafune and the crew at Capcom still got the juice.

I disagree with everyone who said this isn't as hard as 9. I feel that I was right all along. Let's face it fellas, MM9 gave us our balls back. Of course 9 seemed harder. NO ONE expected 9 to be so brutal. Going into 10 everyone was braced and ready for the difficulty, and having cut our teeth on 9 we were ready,

I mean the way I read some of the initial impressions I was expecting to breeze right through everything. No, there is just as much learning curve to the stages as 9 IMO.

Cause when you break shit down, 9 really isn't all that difficult. Once you -really- learn the stage, it's just hardwired into your brain from there on out. I jumped back into 9 after a year off and I breezed right through it. Coming into 10 I died my ass off until I got the hang of the new stages. Overall I spend 2 hours 15 min learning and beating the stages and bosses (keep in mind I do not use energy tanks nor exploit boss weaknesses).

I really enjoyed it so far and can't wait to see what's in Wily's castle... and I'm also like actually interested in the story. That's a Megaman first for me.

Now there is one thing I gotta say, and this goes for Megaman 10 and 9.

The music does not hold a candle to the shit that came before. Both titles fail hard when it comes to matching the adrenaline pumping emotional upbeat [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3awewjTlQOk&feature=related"]awesomeness[/URL] of classic NES Megaman music. This is not an opinion it is a fact. Period. End of story.

Himuro said:
Welcome to every classic MM game ever.

Classic MM titles aren't really difficult, bar MMnB (which feels incomplete anyways) and MM1 (which is the wrong type of difficult).

Agreed on both points.

Himuro said:
Depends on the track.

I think both titles have some of the best music in the series, although 9's ost is definitely high tier. I think 9's ost is the best alongside 2 and 3's.

Solar Man is my favorite track period between 9 and 10.

I'm really partial to Megaman 5 music though. 2, 3, and 5 are my favorite, aurally and just overall.

I'd like to see someone do something like this with MM10's soundtrack. Though I don't think 10's would work as well for the same idea, maybe if it was modified a bit it would work.

KevinCow

Banned
Arpharmd B said:
BTW, I know they sell the soundtrack and remixed soundtrack for MM9, but is there one for 10 or ones for older games in the series? I would pay good dollars for them.

They've announced a MM10 Arranged album for late April. Hopefully it's better than the disappointing MM9 one... though given the weaker source material, that's unlikely.

KevinCow said:
They've announced a MM10 Arranged album for late April. Hopefully it's better than the disappointing MM9 one... though given the weaker source material, that's unlikely.

I already like the 10 soundtrack more than 9's, but I guess I'm in the minority.

I'd love to have the arranges from past MM's that were on the PS1 discs, but I guess I'll have to resort to MP3?

Sanic

Alright, I finished it. Weaker overall than 9, but it was by no means bad.

-Not as 'twitch' based as other megamans.
-Only one disappearing block puzzle that I can remember(well, one level with them) was disappointing
-Was easier overall than 9 despite what I said earlier.
Last form of wily was a cakewalk
-Soundtrack was alright. Only stage tune I liked was Commando Man's stage. I guess Nitro Man was alright as well. Though, keep in mind, I wasn't blown away by MM9's soundtrack like everyone else was.

I'll give it more playthroughs, possibly buy some DLC as well.

jarosh

there's finally some good rips of the soundtrack on youtube. and while i find mm10's music disappointing overall, there are a handful of pretty cool tunes in the game.

i know i immediately fell in love with the wily stage 2 theme...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCnvjd_HJNQ

...and the reason for that is because the beginning reminds me so much of wart's theme from super mario bros. 2 (usa): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zcDevrgwT4

it's a great track regardless though.

my other favorites are:

wily machine
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTs9kC3GoxQ

as a matter of fact i think this is among the best wily machine themes in any mega man game. and that in a game with such mediocre music otherwise.

wily's
space
stage
has started to grow on me too:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxC9E_MmfIE

i also kinda dig the wily stage entrance music:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_t3uqoTZxc

now the robot master themes i really mostly dislike, except for nitro man's of course:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fM47jrOUgs

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
Arpharmd B said:
I already like the 10 soundtrack more than 9's, but I guess I'm in the minority.

On GAF? Definitely. On Mega Man fansites/general gaming sites? Nope, MM10's soundtrack is getting tons of love.

Been playing it for about 30 hours now, didn't sleep last night, finished it three (one on normal, two on easy) times and I'm half finished with my hard playthrough and here's my opinion:

wapons aren't as good as in MM9
soundtrack is incredible good AND unbelievable bad
enemies (i.e. bosses) aren't as hard as in MM9
overall, the achievements aren't as tough as in MM9, but the "don't get damaged the whole game" achievement is going to kill me

so to sum up, it isn't as good as MM9 was for me, but it's still the best arcadegame this year yet.

Already got 155 points for this game, tomorrow I will reach 170.

Sanic

The music has grown on me. I now enjoy the theme's of Blade Man, Pump Man, and Chill Man, in addition to the previously mentioned Commando and Solar Man themes.

Also, is no one buying this on 360, or does nobody do single stage time trials? Last time I checked, about an hour ago, at least two bosses had less than ten entries on the leaderboards and at least two more had less than 20.

Even easy isn't easy enough for me.
I get to the third area of Wileys castle and there is a ton of insta death spikes where I'm supposed to jump through them while on those movable platforms. I failed, I suck!

Sanic

CitizenCope said:
Even easy isn't easy enough for me.
I get to the third area of Wileys castle and there is a ton of insta death spikes where I'm supposed to jump through them while on those movable platforms. I failed, I suck!

Really? I did a run of easy mode earlier today and the game practically played itself. I know what area you're talking about though. I didn't die there, but I came oh so close a couple of times. You have to be quick!

Top Bottom