• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The official Mega Man 10 thread At least it's not Mega Man Universe.

Pandoracell said:
The music has grown on me. I now enjoy the theme's of Blade Man, Pump Man, and Chill Man, in addition to the previously mentioned Commando and Solar Man themes.

Also, is no one buying this on 360, or does nobody do single stage time trials? Last time I checked, about an hour ago, at least two bosses had less than ten entries on the leaderboards and at least two more had less than 20.

Well I haven't done any trials yet, but I'm wondering this as well.

Maybe Megaman is too hardcore for the 360 crowd. Hell I have like 5 people on my friends list with 0 gold in MM9 :lol

We'll know in a day or 2 how it did. If it does not debut on the charts at #1 or at least #2 behind Perfect Dark, then the 360 community needs bitchslapped for snubbing one the best games this year.

Wizpig

TheCardPlayer said:
On GAF? Definitely. On Mega Man fansites/general gaming sites? Nope, MM10's soundtrack is getting tons of love.
I played the demo and the music was very nice, the Baseball one.
Not at 9 levels, but still it was catchy.
And since I'm sure it's one of the weaker ones, I'm pretty happy.

Davey Cakes

TheCardPlayer said:
Fuck you!!!!!! Polluted Pump is an amazing song.
I hate when people put Nitro Man's theme on a pedestal and throw other, potentially better, themes in the trash just because they aren't as immediately catchy.

Whoever said the soundtrack is a grower is entirely right.

Wizpig said:
I played the demo and the music was very nice, the Baseball one.
Not at 9 levels, but still it was catchy.
And since I'm sure it's one of the weaker ones, I'm pretty happy.
Yeah, Strike Man's theme is one that seems really good at first but actually falls to the bottom tier afterwards. Really, it's a theme that tries to do the same thing as Nitro Man's, but just fails and leaves room for the real growers (Pump Man, Sheep Man, and Blade Man) to come in and overtake it.

Honestly, in my opinion at this point, the only truly mediocre pieces in the game are Chill Man, Wily 4, title screen, menu, and the challenge stage theme.

Rash said:
Honestly, in my opinion at this point, the only truly mediocre pieces in the game are Chill Man, Wily 4, title screen, menu, and the challenge stage theme.

The challenge stage music is burned into my ears because of it never changing EVER. I really wish they could have had more of them for different sections of the challenges.

Mike M

Nick N
Gryphter said:
Holy shit, Blade man is hard! I think he's the hardest of the 8 bosses! You guys think he's easier than Sheep man? Insane!

Playing on normal? Guy is easier than shit.

He jumps on the far wall. Run towards him, and the blades fly over your head.
He jumps onto the ceiling. Stand below him, then run behind him and the blades fly behind you.
He jumps to the opposite wall. Run towards him, and the blades fly over your head.
He pauses, then jumps at your position. Run and jump away from him, and he misses.

Wash, rinse, repeat.

Now if you're talking on hard mode... Well, haven't gotten to him on hard, so I don't know.

KevinCow

Banned
Mike M said:
Playing on normal? Guy is easier than shit.

He jumps on the far wall. Run towards him, and the blades fly over your head.
He jumps to the opposite wall. Run towards him, and the blades fly over your head.

That doesn't work for me. Running towards him when he's on the wall just gets me hit.

Sanic

Blade man is the hardest boss initially, before you can kinda figure out what's going on with his pattern.

I just beat the game. Yeah, you guys are right, once you know Blade Man's pattern he's easy. I had a lot of trouble with one boss in Wily's Fortress:
Devil Blocks. This took me probably... 6 tries, and on I had to use 2 E-Tanks to finally get him. Just gotta learn the pattern, but what kept getting me is the blocks knocking me off the leftover platforms.

I also got giddy as shit fighting the room with the bosses from other games. I wish it were more random though, cycling through like every boss rather than just the 3 per room. I was hoping so bad that MM9 would make you fight 1 boss from each of the previous 8 games instead of the regular roster of bosses for the teleporter room part of Wily's Fortress, and seeing this kinda fulfilled my wish for that.

I don't think any of the weapons or music is really memorable, though. In the grand scheme of things years down the line, I'll probably be ranking MM10 in the middle of my list, along with 4-6 which I don't remember a damn thing from (and I just played those games like 2 years ago). Still, glad I played it and looking forward to MM11, make it happen Capcom! Never stop making these!

NIN90

Today I booted my 360 version up for the first time and just defeated Strike Man. He was kind of a bitch until i figured out his pattern (surprise!).
I jumped into Sheep Man's stage right after beating Strike Man and I have to say that Sheep Man's stage design is super awesome! Seriously, who came up wth all that crazy shit?

ZeoVGM

Banned
So guys, just bought it. Is Strike Man the first guy I should do? I don't want to know the full order but I'll take the first one.

I've only played through that stage so far and game overed but that is some awesome level design.

A couple disappointments though: Proto Man and hard mode not having leaderboards. But that's minor.

The music is great so far though. Better boss theme than 9 had.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Thanks but in the post you quoted I did specifically say I only wanted to know the first one and now I know the second one too before I looked away. :p

You should spoiler tag that I think.

Gryphter said:
Holy shit, Blade man is hard! I think he's the hardest of the 8 bosses! You guys think he's easier than Sheep man? Insane!
He's definitely the easiest one of all bosses. You just have to know how to dodge his attacks, as soon as you've figured that you, you'll never get hit by him.

1. Pump Man (why? because water shield is useful in almost every single stage and it is the single most useful robot master weapon, consider it the metal blade or quickshot of MM10).
2. Sheep Man
3. Chill Man
4. Nitro Man
5. Commando Man
6. Blade Man
7. Strike Man
8. Solar Man

1. Sheep Man
2. Pump Man
3. Solar Man
4. Chill Man
5. Nitro Man
6. Commando Man
7. Blade Man
8. Strike Man

Is the way you should take them considering you want the best weapon for the bosses.

vodka-bull said:
He's definitely the easiest one of all bosses. You just have to know how to dodge his attacks, as soon as you've figured that you, you'll never get hit by him.

Yeah, I eventually got his pattern down and once you learn it, it's super easy to beat him. It was a little overwhelming before that because he does move quick and if you're in the line of his fire it's hard to get in-between the triple blades.

omg rite said:
So guys, just bought it. Is Strike Man the first guy I should do? I don't want to know the full order but I'll take the first one.

I say Sheep Man first, easy stage, very easy boss, and it's not tough to see his pattern, I got 1 hit away from beating him first shot and I went in with like 70% health

ZeoVGM

Banned
Woo, Pump Man down. Seriously love the boss music in this one.

I definitely wouldn't mind a Mega Man 11 but I hope they do a Mega Man X9 next, with the graphics and music of the SNES games (preferably with the music style of X2).

ZeoVGM

Banned
Wow, what a fantastic game. Debating as to whether or not I like it more than Mega Man 9, but we'll see after I finish the Wily Stages.

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
omg rite said:
Wow, what a fantastic game. Debating as to whether or not I like it more than Mega Man 9, but we'll see after I finish the Wily Stages.

Yeah, you'll definitely like MM10 better. :D

Wizpig

Can you guys give me a quick "pros and cons" list of the game on Wii and 360?

Not really regarding the pad, we know the wiimote is better for this game, but about sound quality and graphics, are there any changes not including the HD filter?
Did some of you make any crazy quality test?

Davey Cakes

Wizpig said:
Can you guys give me a quick "pros and cons" list of the game on Wii and 360?

Not really regarding the pad, we know the wiimote is better for this game, but about sound quality and graphics, are there any changes not including the HD filter?
Did some of you make any crazy quality test?
Hmmm. I'm pretty sure it's accepted that the Wii version, especially if played in 4:3, looks as good or better than the other versions.

I remember playing the demo of MM9 on X360, but buying the game on Wii. There's definitely a sort of filtered, muddy look in the X360 version that's only somewhat noticeable, but still noticeable nonetheless. I never tried the MM10 demo for X360, however, so I'm not sure if anything has changed.

Yaweee

The first DLC (Bass $2, special stage 1 $1) comes out today.

Is the special stage playable with Bass or Protoman

ZeoVGM

Banned
Holy shit @ the
classic bosses
in the castle. Kicked my ass.

Is the DLC only today for Wii? What's the 360 schedule?

Wizpig

From the OP

Wii - 4/5/10
Xbox 360 - 4/7/10
PlayStation 3 - 4/8/10

@Rash: 9 was definitely better on Wii, I too remember trying the demo on 360 after playing the game on Wii.
This time I played the 360 demo, there's again the HD filter but I don't know if it's as bad as 9.

omg rite said:
Holy shit @ the
classic bosses
in the castle. Kicked my ass.

It took me a few tries, but each of them can be beat with the buster pretty easy; they follow really simple patterns. The only one I had trouble with was Flame Man but I just brute forced him, you can hit him way faster than he can hit you

Yaweee

What's even better about that boss fight is that you do all three sections in a row as part of single Challenge. I can do the Hard Mode/MB-only/No-damage except for the last section, since their patterns are a lot more dependent on your precise location when they move.

Yaweee

DLC Details

Bass:
-Changes the title screen
-Can't run while shooting
-Has a dash move instead of proto man's slide. It cannot let him slip through 1-block holes. Jumping while damage lets you long jump.
-Four bullets on screen at a time
-Can shoot in seven directions (not straight down)
-Bullets are rapid fire, so you can hold the shoot button to machine gun.
-Bullets do half damage compared to Mega Man.
-Bullets do not pass through walls.
-Has his own cutscenes and shop(with new music)
-Has Treble as a Jet Pack instead of a coil/jet. It's super effective, as getting hit doesn't knock you down or anything. Decent energy consumption, but it still lets you just skip many platforming sections. His attack turns into a three-bullet spread shot while flying.
-Cannot be used for Time Attack, Challenge Mode, or any of the special stages.
-Can't get the Special Stage bonus weapons.

Special Stage 1:
-Time Attack ONLY, so you can only play as Mega Man.
-Beating the boss unlocks the weapon for Mega Man in the main game mode, BUT ONLY FOR MEGA MAN.
-No difficulty levels
-One life, no tanks of any kind.

Capcom fucked up the implementation of the special stages. How hard would it have been to let you play the level and unlock the weapons as each character in the main mode, or add the boss to the Challenge mode? Overall, the way it is fit into the game is disappointing. I recommend spending the two bucks for Bass, but the special stage is more iffy.

lyre

Yaweee said:
DLC Details

Bass:
-Can't run while shooting
-Has a dash move instead of proto man's slide. It cannot let him slip through 1-block holes.
-Four bullets on screen at a time
-Can shoot in seven directions (not straight down)
-Bullets are rapid fire, so you can hold the shoot button to machine gun.
-Bullets do half damage compared to Mega Man.
-Bullets do not pass through walls.
-Has his own cutscenes and shop(with new music)
-Has Treble as a Jet Pack instead of a coil/jet. It's super effective, as getting hit doesn't knock you down or anything. Decent energy consumption, but it still lets you just skip many platforming sections. His attack turns into a three-bullet spread shot while flying.
Sounds like he's what everyone expected him to be; ripped straight out of Megaman and Bass, and injected into an inferiour game.

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
lyre said:
Sounds like he's what everyone expected him to be; ripped straight out of Megaman and Bass, and injected into an inferiour game.

:lol :lol :lol :lol

Right. MM&B is better than MM10.

Yaweee

I've never heard anyone speak particularly highly of MM&B. I thought it was kind of a revised 8?

Bass is strange, but enjoyable so far. I'd say it is definitely harder than playing as MM. His abilities depend on his health; when you're low, you can't shoot at angles or as many bullets at a time.

I have only really played the old megaman games on gameboy at a friends house years ago, would it be safer for me to start with MM10 and then go back to 9 since it sounds like the former game is harder.

Yaweee

Diablohead said:
I have only really played the old megaman games on gameboy at a friends house years ago, would it be safer for me to start with MM10 and then go back to 9 since it sounds like the former game is harder.

There's no clear consensus on which game is harder. Personally, I thought 9 was quite a bit more difficult, but I hadn't played a traditional MM game in years prior to playing it. 10 has a lot more content for the cost.

OMG Aero

Something has been bugging me since I got this game.
What has Sheep Man's stage got to do with him? It seems completed unrelated and should go with a Computer Man or something.

Sciz

Yaweee said:
I've never heard anyone speak particularly highly of MM&B. I thought it was kind of a revised 8?
It uses art assets and enemy designs from 8 and is referred to as "ROCK 8.5" in an unencrypted bit of the code. Completely different game though, and as far as I'm concerned the only non 8-bit classic series entry to get both the mechanics and design down more or less correctly. The bosses are challenging (exception: Cold Man), the stages are lengthy and varied (the first fortress stage has something like four bosses in it), there aren't any E-tanks, and there's a nice jazz vibe running throughout the soundtrack. Features a weird tier-based progression through the robot masters, though.

Bass is almost hilariously overpowered, but both characters are fun to play as.

The GBA version suffers somewhat from hardware limitations in the form of reduced viewing area and lower quality sound.

I consider it one of the best classic titles, but like the rest of them, your mileage may vary.

OMG Aero said:
Something has been bugging me since I got this game.
What has Sheep Man's stage got to do with him? It seems completed unrelated and should go with a Computer Man or something.

Electricity.

Although yeah when Sheep Man was first announced I imagined a happy Sheep farm board similar to Hornet Man and the flower garden stage. I was WAYYY off :lol

I thought Commando Man and Solar Man had the wrong stages. I mean when I think of Sun/Fire/Solar I think of Sand and the desert, and that Pharoah Man vibe.

Davey Cakes

Yaweee said:
It's a good game. Far better than MM7 and 8, but of course it's not as sure-fire as the first six NES titles or MM9/MM10.

As a Mega Man fan I was pleased with MM&B, overall. Of course, it has difficulty issues here and there.

ZeoVGM

Banned
lyre said:

Exactly what I was hoping for. :D

MM&Bass, while a good game, is probably one of my least favorite classic Mega Man games. Give me 9 or 10 any day.

On another note, is "inferiour" actually the British spelling? I see "colour" all the time but I've literally never seen "inferiour". :lol

Mega Man's Electric Sheep said:
So special stage 1 is mostly a remake of the wily castle stage from Mega Man in Dr. Wily's Revenge for gameboy........which is awesome as that game rocks. :D

Yeah I was playing Wily's Revenge the other night in anticipation of the special stage. It's pretty cool how parts of the Special Stage are taken from the original stage.

Diablohead said:
9 doesn't have an easy mode.

Mega Man's Electric Sheep said:
So special stage 1 is mostly a remake of the wily castle stage from Mega Man in Dr. Wily's Revenge for gameboy........which is awesome as that game rocks. :D
I noticed that too! Specifically the spike traps and the drill tunnel were what I recognized immediately (and the music). But I just went back and looked at the GB stage, and it's actually even more than that. Most of the stage really is lifted directly from the GB game. And that's awesome.

For comparison:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q03Qs03umRM

Well just beat the game with Bass, it was definitely an interesting experience. I love howyou can actually disarm shielded enemies, nice little detail.

Fun glitch I discovered if you run out of Treble Boost, Bass gets a regular Mega Buster shot. Oops! :lol

Mike M

Nick N
Yaweee said:
Bass is strange, but enjoyable so far. I'd say it is definitely harder than playing as MM. His abilities depend on his health; when you're low, you can't shoot at angles or as many bullets at a time.
?

Is that on hard mode or something? In normal, nothing changes when you get low on health (though pattern of bullets can get altered if you get hit midstream)

Sanic

Arpharmd B said:
Electricity.

Although yeah when Sheep Man was first announced I imagined a happy Sheep farm board similar to Hornet Man and the flower garden stage. I was WAYYY off :lol

I thought Commando Man and Solar Man had the wrong stages. I mean when I think of Sun/Fire/Solar I think of Sand and the desert, and that Pharoah Man vibe.

I personally got strong Pharoah Man vibes from commando man's stage which was great :D. Too bad we had to have mountains in the background at the start. Give me a night sky!

Still not sure what i'm gonna buy tommorow when the DLC comes to the 360. Probably at least the special stage, not sure about Bass. I have yet to do a proto man run.

Top Bottom