• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The official Mega Man 10 thread At least it's not Mega Man Universe.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Milabrega said:
Just finished downloading, dunno which robot master to topple first!

The easiest ones to buster have some of the more difficult stages.

Sheep man is very doable with just the buster, as is Pump Man or Chill Man

Man God said:
People in this very thread have crazy opinions about MM5. That game is boring, samey, and all too easy, or in other words the exact opposite of this game.

Easy? Yes.

Boring and samey? Nah.

Though the mechanics were largely the same, the level design in 5 stands on its own in the classic series. Mega Man always had its level gimmicks but they were always just bits and pieces. For most levels in MM5, these gimmicks WERE the level, and it worked really well. Star Man, Gravity Man, Wave Man, etc took a new step for the franchise with creative level design, and though the difficulty is underwhelming, it's still excellent stuff.

The only one of the first 6 that could be considered boring and samey is MM4, which featured pretty standard level design (save for a few exceptions) and the only significant change from 3 was the buster, and that turned out to be a poor decision anyway.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
SonicMegaDrive said:
He's tough as HELL at first.

But once you figure his pattern out, you'll feel like a champ.

More like Ninja Gaiden man. :lol

I went buster only through the first eight and he was second hardest.
Solar Man
who is a chump with his weakness, took me most of an hour with a P buster.

Man God said:
More like Ninja Gaiden man. :lol

I went buster only through the first eight and he was second hardest.
Solar Man
who is a chump with his weakness, took me most of an hour with a P buster.

The worst part about Blade Man is that even WITH the weapon, he's a pest.

You have to figure out the pattern in order to beat him.

Solar man was bad ass as well. But yeah, figuring out what weapon works on him was a cinch, and he goes down fast with it.

_Alkaline_ said:
Easy? Yes.

Boring and samey? Nah.

Though the mechanics were largely the same, the level design in 5 stands on its own in the classic series. Mega Man always had its level gimmicks but they were always just bits and pieces. For most levels in MM5, these gimmicks WERE the level, and it worked really well. Star Man, Gravity Man, Wave Man, etc took a new step for the franchise with creative level design, and though the difficulty is underwhelming, it's still excellent stuff.

The only one of the first 6 that could be considered boring and samey is MM4, which featured pretty standard level design (save for a few exceptions) and the only significant change from 3 was the buster, and that turned out to be a poor decision anyway.
Yes agreed with you, one of the things about 4 is that the boss fights became boring and repetitive, like most did only one thing. The music and boss designs were awesome though.

jarosh

_Alkaline_ said:
Easy? Yes.

Boring and samey? Nah.

truff!

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oh man, March begins. Sadly I have a month to go until this hits 360. :[

So in the meantime, for me:

2 > 3 > 9 > 5 > 8 > 7 > 4 > 6 > 1

Just read Parish's review and yeah, I understand where he's coming from...

Music wise, MM2-3 are untouched, but everything else goes to MM9 IMHO

dralla

Man God said:
People in this very thread have crazy opinions about MM5. That game is boring, samey, and all too easy, or in other words the exact opposite of this game.
yea, MM5 easily the worst of the main series. the fact that I can breeze through it with the megabuster alone says a lot about it.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
5 has the worst bosses in the original series, six is the only one even close.

You defenders might have a point about the levels though. Gravity man in particular is pretty fun.

yea, MM5 easily the worst of the main series. the fact that I can breeze through it with the megabuster alone says a lot about it.

Six is easier.

Milabrega said:
You guys weren't kidding about Blade Man :lol

Once you figure him out, he'll be the easiest boss for you...well, besides Sheep Man, who is a fucking puss.

Hint: Always keep aware of what direction he's facing when he's hanging from the ceiling.

Blade Man is a great stage to start with because he has the easiest stage, and his pattern is simple.

And you earn a great weapon.

KevinCow

Banned
I didn't buy the game today because I knew I'd get caught up playing it and be late to school, but now I'm going to be late because I've been listening to the music. God dammit.

dralla

Man God said:
5 has the worst bosses in the original series, six is the only one even close.

You defenders might have a point about the levels though. Gravity man in particular is pretty fun.

Six is easier.
In 6 I actually used other weapons though. easy? yes, but there was a little more depth to it. either way, I don't think 5 or 6 are particularly great.

OnPoint

I'm 3 robot masters down already.

I hated
Commando Man's stage, though he was really easy

So far it's good, but it's not as fun as 9 to me. I want to say it's because there's less nostalgia talking, but I'm actually positive it's because it's not designed quite as well. Still fun, but not as good as 9 at this point.

And out of the original NES games, I felt 6 was the worst. I didn't play much of 7 or 8 so I won't judge them, though I someday will.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
KittenMaster said:
Blade Man is a great stage to start with because he has the easiest stage, and his pattern is simple.

And you earn a great weapon.

Two of these are absolutely true. The third is conditionally true.

You just have to know how where to walk when it comes to the geometry of his throwing angles, as well as knowing what to do when he pauses for a bit longer.

ToastyFrog

Inexplicable Treasure Hate
brandonh83 said:
I don't really disagree with what Parish said but I think he was too harsh.
Honestly, I worried about coming off too harsh, but I also didn't want to bore the world with another 3,000-word essay on the minutiae of an 8-bit style game. The differences that set MM9 and MM10 apart are fairly subtle, which makes them tough to delineate without getting too particular.

Also, you Mega Man 5 fanboys have gotta stop spreading these untruths about my opinions just because you're deeply and personally aggrieved that I find it a relatively missable entry. MM5, the worst Mega Man game? Not even close, dudes.

jett

D-Member
AgentOtaku said:
Just read Parish's review and yeah, I understand where he's coming from...

Music wise, MM2-3 are untouched, but everything else goes to MM9 IMHO

Everything else?

MM9 isn't that fucking great. Actually it isn't great at all. I'd put it at a MM4/MM6-level.

Milabrega

Damn this game is tough. I've found Strike Man to be the easiest (and by easiest I mean I died twice too him for bringing him down) of the ones I've fought (Chill, Blade, Strike). Doing a Buster only run to start off, I'll worry about weaknesses and stuff later.

Things I've really enjoyed so far:
-The soccer ball platforming on Strike Man's stage
-The white flag waving after beating the Blade Man Mini Boss

Sheep Man's stage design was really great too, I must have killed like twelve Squids before figuring out what to do on the mini-boss. Had to leave before I got to the boss fight itself though.

TheExodu5

Banned
I think MM9 is the best game in the series. Best music, better than NES visuals but with the same art style, no performance issues, and no slippery-sliding like in MM1 and MM2.

TheExodu5 said:
I think MM9 is the best game in the series. Best music, better than NES visuals but with the same art style, no performance issues, and no slippery-sliding like in MM1 and MM2.

MM9 certainly has the best level design. It also makes the best usage of the Robot Master weapons.

Is the music better than MM2 and 3? Maybe not. But it's waaaaay up there. I routinely listen to and enjoy MM9's soundtrack.

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
SonicMegaDrive said:
MM9 certainly has the best level design. It also makes the best usage of the Robot Master weapons.

Is the music better than MM2 and 3? Maybe not. But it's waaaaay up there. I routinely listen to and enjoy MM9's soundtrack.

MM9 had the most consistent soundtrack in the classic series. It had one poor song I thought ( Jewel Man). Everything else was top class.

MM10 has higher highs (Solar Man, Nitro Man, Wily Stages) but there are more lows.

TheCardPlayer said:
MM9 had the most consistent soundtrack in the classic series. It had one poor song I thought ( Jewel Man). Everything else was top class.

MM10 has higher highs (Solar Man, Nitro Man, Wily Stages) but there are more lows.

It's tough for me, because I enjoy every single track from Mega Man 2, 3, and 9(well...I was never really that fond of Wily Stage 3 from MM2).

I admit 10 had some rather bland-ish tracks, but the ones you mentioned were really awesome. I also really like Strike Man and Pump Man's themes quite a bit.

Davey Cakes

I haven't played every level yet, but I'd say Sheep Man is the easiest so far. I usually can't beat bosses on the first go through a level, but with Sheep Man I was able to.

Got pretty close with pump man as well.

The last stage in MM10 is a teensy bit of a letdown, though.

They build up all that tension with the music and the upside-down level design and the map makes you think that it's going to be this huge last stage complete with insanely difficult final boss...but I didn't even die once. Oh well.

Wily Stage 1 makes up for it, though -
The return of 9 boss masters from older games....well sorta.

Still, game kicks ass. I'd put it a notch below MM9. And that's saying a lot.

I just can't get over how awesome Mega Man 9 and Mega Man 10 are.

So many sequels are just craptacular efforts that just try to upgrade the sound 'quality' and the graphics and throw in more story, voices and other crap.

MM9 and 10 do it right. They actually take what was GOOD about the original games(the upbeat music, the quick, twitch-based gameplay, and the interesting robot masters) and they improve the formula with tighter, more-focused level design and superior challenge and replay value. At first glance, it looks like a quick rehash of Mega man 2 because of the fact that you've been stripped of your later abilities(which were just complicating the game and taking the focus away from the need for good reflexes and precision anyway). But it isn't. It's actually better. It really is.

If only every 'update' to a classic series would do it this way. It's perfect.

Top Bottom