• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The official Mega Man 10 thread At least it's not Mega Man Universe.

Man God said:
Have you tried half damage? It's really helpful.

Also the first form's weakness is basically P shot, second forms is Concrete, and third is Spark, and you can stuff Wily's airborne attacks with a well placed Black Hole or a Tornado spam.

I just was able to get to the third form a couple of hors ago and the last time I got there I found out that spark was the weakness ;-)

I also started beating Gravity man with Pshot so I could save the concrete for the second form.....and I'm pretty great at the first form at this point...:lol

Tricking the fire to shoot too high or dodging it in the second form is one of the things that gets me everytime, I'm too eager to shoot the damn thing.

I'll definitely be back to try again, though now that 10 is downloaded I'm going to fire that one up....there is room for 2 Megamans at once for sure ;-)

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
Just beat it on normal mode. Awesome game. I think im ready for a Retro MegaMan X though

Man God

Non-Canon Member
10 really has a feel of finality to it. Of course they didn't take the story in any sort of direction that would lead to X so if this game does anywhere near as well as 9 did I fully expect 11 in another 1 1/2 years.

X would work just as well as long as they stick to the SNES games sensibility. Instead of MM2 as a template I'd take X1 over X2 for a model of the best of the best.

Man, other than the platforming challenges at the beginning, the challenge stages were really lame :\ I was hoping they'd be more like Mega Man Powered Up where you had really had to use all of your abilities to complete them.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
nincompoop said:
Man, other than the platforming challenges at the beginning, the challenge stages were really lame :\ I was hoping they'd be more like Mega Man Powered Up where you had really had to use all of your abilities to complete them.

But you can fight the bosses on any difficulty (after being unlocked) at any time. More than awesome enough for me and good practice for no hit runs!

More limited weapon challenges would have been nice indeed, so would have selectable protoman and time attacks alongside no hit challenges...but I'm still pretty thrilled.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Fuck, this is out already? I'm so out of the loop.

Need to make time for this in the next few days.

Mike M

Nick N
I'm honestly kind of surprised at how fast I figured out the order. MM9 took me a while, MM10 I just kept guessing correctly. Though it helped that there was something resembling reason behind some of the weaknesses, at least until the last three I encountered.

So far my only gripe is the lack of an exit option for completed stages.

I wanna stock up on tanks before tackling Wily's castle. Anyone know a good way to gather screws in a hurry?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
9's logic comes manly from the bosses attacks and patterns, not from pokemon logic.

Splash Women sends out 1 hit minions and floats high above you, hornets home in and also kill the minions.

Concrete Man shoots blocks that protect him from ground level fire, Laser trident goes through anything.

Galaxy Man creates black holes. Concrete fills holes (kinda pokemon logic here.)

Jewel Man has an indestructible shield that can be thrown as a projectile and runs right for you before turning around. Black Hole Bomb remains around for awhile and more importantly, sucks up projectiles.

Plug Man has projectiles and tries to crash into you. Jewel Shield deflects projectiles and keeps things from crashing into you.

Tornado Man likes to float near the ceiling and wall. Spark Plug travels along those surfaces.

Magma man like to jump on you and shoot fire into the air. Tornado Blow allows you to easy jump over him and sends his projectiles away.

and finally, in perfect pokemon logic, Bugs are weak to fire. From a pattern perspective though the triple shot spread, properly aimed will kill all three hornets in one go.

I take back what I said about not feeling the music - it's a different vibe but it's cool in its own way. A lot of these stages are total throwbacks to classic MM moments often with new twists, and I'm especially enjoying that. Feels so familiar but so fresh.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Scythesurge said:
I take back what I said about not feeling the music - it's a different vibe but it's cool in its own way. A lot of these stages are total throwbacks to classic MM moments often with new twists, and I'm especially enjoying that. Feels so familiar but so fresh.

I really like Solar Man, Strike Man, the Boss Music, Sheep Man's stage, Nitro Man's... I'd say on a whole I like the score better than 9 and now it's right below 2.

I also like how the get equipped music and general presentation is a lot like MM4.

OnPoint

Finished it a little bit ago.

Overall, I'm a bit letdown compared to 9. This was fairly easy. I'll give hard mode a shot tomorrow, maybe screw around with some Proto Man action as well.

The score, in my opinion, isn't all that great. I really liked Chill Man's music, it had the most 8-bit feeling in terms of capturing the spirit of the era. The post-robot stages actually all had great music. I liked how
Wily Stage 1 had a kind of empty tune at first, you know, since we all look forward to the Wily Stage 1 music. At least I do. I was so disappointed by it at first. Then, after you beat that first boss room and move on, the real tune kicks in. Just awesome.

If Mega Man 9 was for me, a 9 out of 10, this was more of a 6 or a 7. Pretty average, I would say. It was OK, but I guess it somehow feels a little rushed. Honestly, I kind of hope they're done for now. Move on to reviving something else for a bit. As much as I love Mega Man games, I feel now like it's too much too soon.

RedBoot

Sheep Man's pretty incredible as a whole. Awesome stage with cool gimmicks, fun (if a bit easy) boss fight, and a pretty cool weapon to boot. Plus, he's an electric sheep.

Whoever said Blade Man had an easy stage is nuts, that's one of the toughest stages I've seen in a MM game. The midboss was rough. The seesaw areas are brutal, what with the spikes, the resetting seesaw, and the enemy respawn points placed to work with the back and forth on the seesaws. And Blade Man's pretty rough too. Actually, while this game is definitely easier than 9 as a whole, Blade Man and Commando Man have really tough stages, while the rest are mostly easy.

Still only 5 robots down so far, but I'd agree that MM9 feels a bit better than 10. Still, that doesn't change the fact that both games are incredible, and eclipse nearly all the games in their legacy. Can't wait to try out Hard mode once I unlock it, and I think I'll be getting some of the DLC this time around.

Whimsical Phil

Ninja School will help you
RedBoot said:
Whoever said Blade Man had an easy stage is nuts, that's one of the toughest stages I've seen in a MM game. The midboss was rough.
I was able to defeat the midboss quite easily with
Solar Blaze

RedBoot said:
The seesaw areas are brutal, what with the spikes, the resetting seesaw, and the enemy respawn points placed to work with the back and forth on the seesaws.
Water Shield

RedBoot said:
And Blade Man's pretty rough too.
I was able to get Blade Man's pattern down the third time I fought him. It's actually not as bad as it first appears. Especially when you use
Commando Bomb

RedBoot

Well, it was the second level I tried, and I didn't have any weapons yet. :lol

Once I head back there better equipped, I'm sure I'll take it out.

KevinCow

Banned
The only thing I've had a lot of trouble with so far are the damn goalie mini-bosses in Strike Man's stage, Strike Man himself, and Nitro Man spamming the hell out of his sawblade things like some bullet hell nonsense. Nothing else has been too bad. Not even Commando Man's stage or Blade Man's seesaws.

Generally, I don't really have trouble with things that let me be patient, take my time, and get a good grasp on the pattern before acting. But ask me to make split-second decisions and react accordingly and I'm fucked.

Echoes

I'm at work and I've been listening to the OST all day (sans Wily Stage 2 and onward, don't wanna ruin the surprise). Commando Man's theme is currently my favorite. One of the best 8-bit tunes I have ever heard. It feels so heroic and bad-ass!

Man, the more I think about it, the more I realize how awesome this game is. I really can't wait to go home and kick the crap out of Wily.

I fucking love you Capcom. Take my kids. YOU DESERVE THEM.

jarosh

Tenbatsu said:
Did you guys realized that this game is not as sharp as mm9? It looks so blurry and I just booted mm9 to compare.
huh? not the case at all for me. super sharp. make sure to set your wii to 4:3.

Gestahl

A tad disappointing compared to 9, the gimmicks weren't nearly as good, and instead of the brilliant design of 9 where it wasn't exactly difficult in that you could predict or see what was coming but you still had to earn every inch, there is just a ton of instant death crap here randomly strewn about. The stages were okay, but none really compare to 9, even Wily's stages, which were somehow to me more forgiving than the stage levels themselves. I found a lot of the checkpoints in the stages to be a bit awkwardly placed as well. I really like the music though, I think it's one of the strongest in the original series in that regard. Weapons were okay, but Sheepman's was completely useless. The end bosses were pretty pathetic as well despite the ball busting nature of some of the stage bosses with just the power buster, the boss in Wily 2 was a complete wimp for instance.

Overall, I'd put it behind 3 and 9, but it's up there, top 5 at least. Took me quite a bit of time to get the rust off, tried 4 or 5 stages before I even got to a boss. Still, it only took 3-4 hours, so I suppose it was the standard Mega Man fare in difficulty, made me more angry than usual though for some reason. Haven't been that livid at a Megaman game since 2 on the Anniversary Collection.

Mike M

Nick N
Man God said:
9's logic comes manly from the bosses attacks and patterns, not from pokemon logic.

Splash Women sends out 1 hit minions and floats high above you, hornets home in and also kill the minions.

Concrete Man shoots blocks that protect him from ground level fire, Laser trident goes through anything.

Galaxy Man creates black holes. Concrete fills holes (kinda pokemon logic here.)

Jewel Man has an indestructible shield that can be thrown as a projectile and runs right for you before turning around. Black Hole Bomb remains around for awhile and more importantly, sucks up projectiles.

Plug Man has projectiles and tries to crash into you. Jewel Shield deflects projectiles and keeps things from crashing into you.

Tornado Man likes to float near the ceiling and wall. Spark Plug travels along those surfaces.

Magma man like to jump on you and shoot fire into the air. Tornado Blow allows you to easy jump over him and sends his projectiles away.

and finally, in perfect pokemon logic, Bugs are weak to fire. From a pattern perspective though the triple shot spread, properly aimed will kill all three hornets in one go.

Eh, that's really nothing more than after the fact rationalization of complete lack of logic to the vulnerabilities. If the bosses were vulnerable to completely different weapons, you'd still be able to make the same arguments, i.e. if Jewel Man were weak against Laser Trident, it's because Laser Trident goes through anything. Galaxy Man spends all his time floating at the top of the screen, of course he'd be vulnerable to Hornet Shot. Hornet Man sticks to the walls of the room and electricity kills bugs, of course he'd be taken down by Plug Ball. Tornado Blow hits Splash Woman and takes out her minions, etc. etc.

Actually my greatest disappointment with the hero and superhero modes of MM9 is that they didn't change the weaknesses around precisely because there are multiple weapons that would counteract the attacks and patterns of several bosses.

Davey Cakes

Tenbatsu said:
Game will auto resize to 4:3 like mm9. However it's not sharp at all weird. Let me go set my wii to 4:3 to check.
I actually agree. For me it looks just a tad blurrier than MM9. Hmmm.

Anyway, the reception of MM10 is really weird and controversial. Some people love it dearly, while others are quick to show disdain for the "acquired taste" soundtrack and the lack of weapon cleverness, among other things. I don't really think that MM9 is going to be dethroned anytime soon; the game had too much impact and was just too perfect in its execution.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
I played a little bit of MM10 last night. Game is hard on Normal mode.

The best part of the game is that you can switch weapons with the A button. No more pausing the game to go into the menu to switch!:D

Mike M

Nick N
richiek said:
The best part of the game is that you can switch weapons with the A button. No more pausing the game to go into the menu to switch!:D
I actually found that to be awful. I have big hands and kept accidentally hitting B, causing me to switch weapons when I didn't want to and waste weapon energy.

Rendered the game unplayable with just the Wii remote for me.

richiek said:
I played a little bit of MM10 last night. Game is hard on Normal mode.

Sweet, real time weapon swithcing, I really missed that feature in 9, especially when playing it with a classic controler or a dual shock :D

Mik2121

This thread's OP is shit.

When is the game releasing for PSN?

vvvvvv - I didn't want to Google it. I said this because for a game-related thread, having release dates should be the very minimum required, imo. Also, douchebag. You and your avatar :mad:

ismaboof

Mik2121 said:
This thread's OP is shit.

When is the game releasing for PSN?

http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=megaman+10+psn+release+date

Mik2121 said:
vvvvvv - I didn't want to Google it. I said this because for a game-related thread, having release dates should be the very minimum required, imo. Also, douchebag. You and your avatar :mad:

thefonz.jpg

Tenbatsu

Rash said:
I actually agree. For me it looks just a tad blurrier than MM9. Hmmm.

Anyway, the reception of MM10 is really weird and controversial. Some people love it dearly, while others are quick to show disdain for the "acquired taste" soundtrack and the lack of weapon cleverness, among other things. I don't really think that MM9 is going to be dethroned anytime soon; the game had too much impact and was just too perfect in its execution.
It's super sharp if u set to 4:3 both your tv and your wii. I guess Capcom missed out the mm9 sharpness filter for 16:9 here or what you call that.

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
Second day with the game, and the music is still growing on me. I really liked it, day one, but now the songs I didn't like are starting to get into my head too.

The soundtrack is just incredible.

Rash said:

Well, reading MM fansites today, it seems that alot of people are recanting their negative impressions. And mamy members on these sites, are saying that 10 is better than 9, so I don't see where the controversy is.

As for me, Mega Man 9 and 10, are like 2 and 3. 9 may be the favorite but like 3, 10 is more complete and has it's particular charm that makes me love it. And like 3, MM10 has some real shitty sub weapons.

Echoes

TheCardPlayer said:
Second day with the game, and the music is still growing on me. I really liked it, day one, but now the songs I didn't like are starting to get into my head too.

The soundtrack is just incredible.

Well, reading MM fansites today, it seems that alot of people are recanting their negative impressions. And mamy members on these sites, are saying that 10 is better than 9, so I don't see where the controversy is.

As for me, Mega Man 9 and 10, are like 2 and 3. 9 may be the favorite but like 3, 10 is more complete and has it's particular charm that makes me love it. And like 3, MM10 has some real shitty sub weapons.
I agree with everything you said, regarding both the game and the soundtrack quality. My favorites so far are Commando, Solar, and Nitro. The only one that I don't 'feel' is Chill Man, all the others are just awesome. I need to listen to the Wily tunes more because they're not stuck in my head like the bosses.

Finished all the stages but Wily. His second form is so annoying. Couldn't beat it yet. Any recommended method\weapons?

For some reason, even though I liked the Wily stages, I didn't get that "OMG" feel that I got in 9, in every level. And after Flash in the Dark, I'm disappointed that there's no track like it.

MM9 <> MM10. They're both equally awesome. But 9 has the upper hand IMO. It's my favorite action game of all time, as well as being my favorite Mega Man game, so to have 10 up there with it means so much to me.

TheCardPlayer

Echoes said:
MM9 <> MM10. They're both equally awesome. But 9 has the upper hand IMO. It's my favorite action game of all time, as well as being my favorite Mega Man game, so to have 10 up there with it means so much to me.

The thing with MM9 is that it was announced at the time, where the Mega Man franchise was in a black hole of fuckness and fail. All that came out where shitty spinoffs, and their bastard children filled with part doucheness, part fucking evil.

Then MM9's trailer came, and showered the fans with it's holy light. All was good again, and we ran in the fields of love and sheer glory. The Blue Bomber was back! And with him, came glorious music, lordly levels and the sweet fucking flagrance of victory.

Of course, MM10 will never have that glorious impact upon our lowly gaming souls. It's the follow up, to the fucking game that saved this magical, oh so precious franchise. But taking off the HOLY FUCKING SHIT ITS MEGA MAN 9 glasses, it's easy to see that MM10 is in no way worse, other than if you are perpetually drinking the Mega Man 9 love Kool-Aid. Which is fine. It is after all, the GOTFY08.

But in it's own way, MM10 is the GOTFY10. It radiates with a full light of win and absolute love from Capgod and their game making skills. It feels like it was forged in the glorious heavens and bestowed upon us, as a sword to destroy the evil of shitty fucking Mega Man Star Force and it's cave troll companions.

dralla

ok so according to this thread the game is a little easy? is hard mode available right from the start or do I have to beat it on normal first?

TheCardPlayer said:
The thing with MM9 is that it was announced at the time, where the Mega Man franchise was in a black hole of fuckness and fail. All that came out where shitty spinoffs, and their bastard children filled with part doucheness, part fucking evil.

Then MM9's trailer came, and showered the fans with it's holy light. All was good again, and we ran in the fields of love and sheer glory. The Blue Bomber was back! And with him, came glorious music, lordly levels and the sweet fucking flagrance of victory.

Of course, MM10 will never have that glorious impact upon our lowly gaming souls. It's the follow up, to the fucking game that saved this magical, oh so precious franchise. But taking off the HOLY FUCKING SHIT ITS MEGA MAN 9 glasses, it's easy to see that MM10 is in no way worse, other than if you are perpetually drinking the Mega Man 9 love Kool-Aid. Which is fine. It is after all, the GOTFY08.

But in it's own way, MM10 is the GOTFY10. It radiates with a full light of win and absolute love from Capgod and their game making skills. It feels like it was forged in the glorious heavens and bestowed upon us, as a sword to destroy the evil of shitty fucking Mega Man Star Force and it's cave troll companions.
Though I have only beaten 4 robot masters, I agree with what you are saying. My initial reaction was "this is not as good as 9" but once the superbly designed levels took control I started LOVING it. Great game, Capgods!

Man God

Non-Canon Member
dralla said:
ok so according to this thread the game is a little easy? is hard mode available right from the start or do I have to beat it on normal first?

This game is only as easy as you allow yourself to make it. :lol

TheCardPlayer

More reviews:

Gamespy 4/5

Levels are livelier and more intricate. MM9's relative multitude of boring black backgrounds are gone, replaced with colorful themes that do as much justice as possible to a collection of bosses that count dudes like Sheep Man (who uses electricity as his obligatory weapon and stage theme) and Strike Man (a robotic baseball) among them. It's obvious that more care and consideration went into the stage designs this time through

Game Informer 8.8

The tenth entry in the Blue Bomber’s classic series is packed with even more old-school goodness than its predecessor. [...] The bosses of Mega Man 10 are some of the best in the series, featuring tight, rhythmic battles

Worth Playing 8.5

There are fewer moments where gamers are likely to curse the game for being cheap or unfair, and it's just a more relaxing experience.

Gamers Daily News 8 (they hated 9)

I appreciated what Mega Man 9 was trying to do, but was upset by its clearly mean-spirited level design. Thus while this latest game only takes some of that title’s strong points, it fixes most of the flaws and the result is a less creative but nonetheless very fun game.

So yeah, other than 1Up's review, it's all good so far. So don't let that review discourage you from trying the game. It's litteral win and love in download form. The game really deserve the acclaim. Go Blue Bomber go! Fight for everlasting peace!

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
Echoes said:
Finished all the stages but Wily. His second form is so annoying. Couldn't beat it yet. Any recommended method\weapons?

Is that the form after you take the skull off his ship? Use the Bubble shield

thefro

Played all the robot master stages yesterday (although I only got to the boss in a 3-4) and the one complaint I'd have is this seems to be less focused on platforming than MM9. Solar Man's level was the only one that seemed to fit the bill for me, while MM9 seemed to be an even mix of platforming-based levels and "run through the level and shoot enemies" levels.

Every level does have some neat gimmicks though.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
so for all you fellow pusses who couldn't finish MM9:

how is the easy mode? indulge a weenie and tell me if i could play this and actually enjoy myself without wanting to die.

Argh, I'm jealous. I really want to play this, Megaman 9 was so good. Don't suppose anyone knows when this is coming to Europe? I'm really hoping it'll be on Wiiware this Friday.

KevinCow

Banned
So having beaten the eight robot masters and attempted the first Wily stage once, I have to say that while it's fun, it's definitely not as good as 9. The levels aren't as interesting or fun, the music isn't as good, and the weapons aren't nearly as useful.

Tenbatsu said:
Did you guys realized that this game is not as sharp as mm9? It looks so blurry and I just booted mm9 to compare.

As I said on the last page, I was having the same problem. But then I went into my Wii settings and changed it to 4:3, now it looks just as sharp and crisp as 9. Kind of annoying though because I never had to do this with 9.

Enk

makes good threads.
Quick thoughts after beating the 8 robot masters:

- Music is a mixed bag for me. With my favorites being Nitro, Chill, Sheep and Solar.
- Solar's is especially awesome as it gives me that C64 sid music vibe.
- Turbo's is just classic.

- Stage design is mostly good, but not as creative as 9's. I'd rank it like so:
Solar = Sheep > Turbo > Chill> Blade > Commando > Pump > Strike

- Strike's 2nd goalie mid boss is going to be annoying as hell to beat on a buster only run.

- While the pixel art is a tad better it still looks really bland compared to the NES Mega Mans. This especially shows in the midbosses which are really simple looking. There's especially a big lack of giant enemies. Gone are the days of giant penguins, snails, shrimp spewing fish, flame breathing dogs, whales, etc.

- The use of spikes seems to be a bit more balanced out in this one.

- Boss patterns are pretty good and challenging. Strike Man being the hardest for me, but Pump Man's is simple even by MM6's standards.

- Weapon wise, blade is the best alternate weapon, but none of the weapons are as creative as the ones from 9.

- Difficulty wise I think it is about on par with 9. I think it will be easier to do "one life" runs on this one compared to 9, but more difficult to do "no hit" runs on some of the stages and bosses.

Teknoman

Blade man's music is really catching on. I went up against Nitro Man, but got destroyed after not being ready for a wall ride, so now im about to face off against Blade.

MoxManiac

Ugh, 10 seems a lot harder than 9. I breezed through 9 no problem, but fuck! I never want to go through strike man's stage again with that infernal 2nd sub-boss.

Yaweee

Beat it. It was much easier than 9; fewer BS levels, and the bosses in the final areas are quite a bit easier. It probably helps that screws are way more common so I was able to stroll into the final area packing 9 E tanks.

Probably better than MM9, but it is close. It sure helps that most of the DLC options in 9 are standard options here.

I do not agree with the soundtrack complaints at all. The final areas might be a bit lacking, but I really liked the music for the 8 main stages.

Top Bottom