• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The official Mega Man 10 thread At least it's not Mega Man Universe.

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
SonicMegaDrive said:
I hope to god Capcom never, ever stops making these.

Never evolve again, Mega Man. Fight for everlasting 8-bit peace!

Agreed. As long as they keep up the quality level up. So far, both MM9 and MM10 have been top notch games. Here's to a great MM11!

andymcc

Banned
TheCardPlayer said:
So yeah, other than 1Up's review, it's all good so far. So don't let that review discourage you from trying the game. It's litteral win and love in download form. The game really deserve the acclaim. Go Blue Bomber go! Fight for everlasting peace!

all you really had to say is that jeremy parish reviewed it and that should be enough to indicate that the review of the game is pretty much worthless.

i'm going to finish this up tonight, it's really great. with the exception of considerably weaker music compared to MM9, everything else about the game is strong.

i keep hitting the shit ass "b" button on my shit fuck wiimote and switching to rush coil in the middle of frantic ass firefights.

Magnus

Tenbatsu said:
Majority of the people here are waiting for PSN n XBLA Version? Response seems bad.

Waiting for the PSN here, yeah.

I need to actually go back and get through 9. I think I only got 2 bosses down. I was awful at it :lol

nbraun80

Tenbatsu said:
Majority of the people here are waiting for PSN n XBLA Version? Response seems bad.
Indeed I'm waiting for the XBLA version, which seems like forever. Damn Microsoft and their Arcade block party promotion. I do have a wii but I don't feel like going back home and digging it out of where ever it is...

Instead, I guess I'll just pay through MM9 again and do some endless mode in honor of the release.

out0v0rder said:
i keep hitting the shit ass "b" button on my shit fuck wiimote and switching to rush coil in the middle of frantic ass firefights.

That happens a lot to me too, wish there was a way to turn that off.

Other than that, beat the game earlier today. I don't think it's quite as amazing as 9 was, but you're comparing a great, well-made game to other great, well-made games. It's like comparing Pixar movies or picking your favorite child.

I was really pleasantly surprised by the Wily levels. The first one
(OMG Classic Robot Masters!)
and the last one
Holy crap look at the "trail" going up. Wily level in Space?!? ZOMG!

I'd compare it with the likes of 3 or 5 (I really don't understand the 5 love, I like it, but it's not by top favorite) Can't wait to get some more playthroughs in as Protoman and Bass when he comes out especially now that I've got a good idea of who to start with
(either Chill Man or Pump Man)
and the proper order.

Beat it earlier today. It was A LOT easier than MM9 I thought. The only boss that really gave me trouble was Blade Man. Not sure why everyone's saying he's easy. Maybe my perception problems fucked me up.

Tenbatsu said:

Tell me about it.

Capcom gives us golden perfection and the response is virtually crickets.

Sega gives us a lump of coal and the thread gets 2000+ replies.

linkboy

out0v0rder said:

I was running into the same problem and it kept pissing me off.

Then I remember I bought one of those SNES Wii controllers (yea, I'm bragging) and the game plays great.

Totally love that controller.

I recommend playing the game with some type of classic controller, makes it so much better.

Cheez-It

Tenbatsu said:

Already picked it up. Not much time to play it, let alone post about it :)

Awesome so far though.

Woohoo, I (barely) cracked the top 30 all clear times! I doubt I'll be on the leaderboard for long though.

EDIT - WTF how did someone finish in 15 minutes? H@xx0rz?

nbraun80

nincompoop said:
Woohoo, I (barely) cracked the top 30 all clear times! I doubt I'll be on the leaderboard for long though.

EDIT - WTF how did someone finish in 15 minutes? H@xx0rz?
I'm sure someone did hack to get that. Someone already hacked the code to unlock Bass, here's the video of Bass: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0spJ3PKWvsI
It's kind of a long video for so little info, so basically he can fire diagonally, and upwards, dash, and fly for a limited time via Treble. He also has he own ending for what I've heard...

KevinCow

Banned
benita said:

It's weird, though. It seems like some parts are much harder, while others are much easier. It just feels really, really unbalanced. On top of that, the hard parts are, to me, more frustrating hard than fun hard like MM9.

I think what MM10 did was, while toning down the spikes heavily, they made the enemies harder on top of nerfing weapons quite a bit, so it affects people with different playstyles in different ways.

Davey Cakes

I think the stages are, if you put them side by a side, more balanced in terms of difficulty. In MM10 there's nothing like that odd disparity in difficulty between, say, Splash Woman's stage and Jewel Man's stage in MM9.

TheCardPlayer

Yeah some of those challenges are close to making me punch a tree or something. Goddamn. And getting Golds can be such a bitch sometimes.

Yaweee

natedog4000 said:
I'm sure someone did hack to get that. Someone already hacked the code to unlock Bass, here's the video of Bass: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0spJ3PKWvsI
It's kind of a long video for so little info, so basically he can fire diagonally, and upwards, dash, and fly for a limited time via Treble. He also has he own ending for what I've heard...

Well, looks like I'm actually going to be buying some DLC.

beelzebozo said:
easy mode impressions?

Going back to play Easy after finishing Normal, here are a few notes:

- Less damage?
- Fewer enemies
- More 1ups
- More screws
- Platforms covering some pits and spikes
- Full Health power-ups at check points.
- Blade Man launches two blades at a time instead of three
- Pump Man only has four bubbles
- Bird mini-bosses shoot fewer flames
- Some of the chargeable platforms in Sheep Man's stage are permanent instead
- More of the temporary "zoom" blocks at a time/easier patterns

Overall, it is a fairly well-designed difficulty in terms of differences from Normal. Even though it makes the game much less difficult, there's still some challenge for people that suck at games; there's still plenty of pits and spikes to die to, and the boss fights are mostly the same except slightly simpler.

And a note about Protoman: Even though the game says that playing as him won't let you win the achievement-style challenges, you'll still unlock the difficulty-level dependent challenge rooms from encountering the bosses. So going through as him for your Hard run will unlock the Boss H challenges.

EDIT: Okay, so achievement warning is a lie, too. I got the Destroyer award while playing as Protoman.

OnPoint

Played through Knife Man's stage on hard today. This either should have been the default difficulty, or it should have been available right away.

Oh well. There's nothing stopping me from taking a hard mode run-through. I just can't help but think I would have enjoyed this game more if I could have played through on this setting initially.

I beat the game yesterday and it was satisfying to say the least. As usual this was a victory I had to earn. I gotta say that 10 wasn't as hard as 9 was. And the reason I say this was because I didn't cuss and wanna throw the WiiMote smack into the TV as much as 9 pushed me to that edge. 10 made death feel fair and your own fault versus a design issue that upped the difficulty to abnormal level. Not to say that 10 didn't have it fair share of cheesy deaths. But it still keeps that old school mentality of those that don't learn from their history are doomed to repeat it. LEARN, ADAPT, EVOLVE. That mentality will save you some anger. Trust me. In contrast if you wanna get your feet wet a little then Easy Mode will take care of you but if you want to be challenged then Hard Mode has what you need. In essence it's like 3 separate games because of the way that each of the difficulties work. But you get what you ask for when you select a difficulty though. But you gotta earn Hard Mode by beating it on Normal first. I kind of wish it was there from the start but it gives you some reason to play it through on Normal first so all is forgiven.

Mega Man, Proto Man and Bass all bring something different to the table which diversifies the game even more. Mega Man is still bound to the rules of Mega Man 2 of no slide and charge. An unlockable version of a MM4 version would've been nice but then shine would've been taken from Proto Man. He still has all the stuff that Mega Man doesn't and just like his fellow Capcom alumnus Akuma he can't take a hit. But with all of those abilities and the Proto Shield they even the odds somewhat. And Bass is pretty much Copy Pasta from MM&B. 7 Direction Shooting with the Bass Buster albeit weaker shots and the Dash which is Down + Jump instead of being mapped to a button. With 3 playable characters with their own story it encourages a playthough of each to see what happens.

As far as control schemes go I didn't have that B Trigger problem at all during my playthrough. The only time I used the weapon select button was to quickly get out the Rush Coil in a jam. And even then at some point I completely stopped using it all together and went back to pause switching just because I'm used to that. If you have one I would suggest using a classic controller. I used it toward the end and it felt just as good even though I didn't take advantage of L/R Weapon Switching. I have no idea what the 360 Gaffers are gonna do with that "controller?" I've always felt that playing a classic Mega Man game with an analog stick felt very out of place. But if that's what gets the job done then good for you. I'd just suggest getting a Mad Catz SF Pad for that. And PSTriple users should be good with the DS3 though.

When I took a look at Mega Man 9 for my YouTube page I gave it a 10 just on the principle that it was spot on and I'm a masochist when it comes to games so I loved the difficulty. But to look at 10 through honest eyes I'd give it a 8.5 maybe a 9. To be honest there was something magical about 9 and I didn't see as much of it from 10 as I would've hoped. Most of the music isn't classic as other games but it has one the the best Stage Select music in the history of the classic series to date. The game looks good for the medium it's in. Looks like I'm playing the game on my NES Spring Loader and I needed some alcohol and I had to blow into the cart to get it working.

But looking at it I understand something. 10 has a different mission than 9 did. 9 was there to make sure we never forgot. And 10 is here to make sure we remember the past and hope for the future. The mission statement for 10 is plastered through the whole game. I'm not gonna spoil it for people who haven't played it or on black out but all I can say is Capcom wants you to remember and never forget. I'm gonna move on for now but I'll be back for Capcom to take my money for Bass and the Special Stages.

Tenbatsu said:

I'm waiting for the PSN version, the wait is pretty hard, but that's just one week. I'm not sure if the game has been released in europe too. But yeah, it seems like nobody cares :(

Finally beat 9 for the first time....for some reason I thought there was an extra Wily skull after the first like in MM2....now I can focus on 10 ;-)

Shearie

Can't wait for this game to drop on PSN.

I got into this series pretty damn late since my parents never bought me any of the original Mega Man games when I was a kid and I tried the Mega Man Collection when that came out for the PS2 but for some reason those games didn't click with me. Mega Man 9 got me hooked into the series finally and I'll probably buy every one of these games from now on if Capcom keeps up the good work.

Mike M

Nick N
Wait wait wait, so Bass code and assets are included in the game we already paid for, we just have to pay more to access it? Mother of FUCK, that pisses me off to no end. Shit like that ought to be fucking illegal.

BigAT

I just finished up the first eight robots on Normal, with no knowledge of the boss order. My initial impression is that 10 is easier than 9, but who knows. That could easily change after I get through the Wily stages, or it could possibly just be the result of that when I started MM9, I hadn't touched a classic Mega Man since the NES days whereas starting 10 now I already have honed my skills quite a bit coming into it.

thefil

I'm not sure if this is still the case, but Maxxim is my roommate:

mm103.png

He was at the top of Megaman 9 for a few days as well.

thefil said:
I'm not sure if this is still the case, but Maxxim is my roommate:

mm103.png

He was at the top of Megaman 9 for a few days as well.
No, the leaderboard is filled up with cheaters and haxx0rz now.

Treb

Also waiting for the PSN version. I still gotta beat MM9, but I got stuck trying to the beat the first Wily level. Gotta stock up on some extra lives. :lol

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Also waiting for PSN here. Though I'm miffed Capcom is keeping up with their shady DLC shit with the game too.

Yet I'm a sucker and will still buy most of it like I did with MM9.

TheCardPlayer

More reviews!

Nintendo Life 9/10

As impressive as the musical score was in Mega Man 9, Capcom seems to have outdone themselves with the soundtrack in Mega Man 10.

[...]

Mega Man 10 is everything you could want out of sequel and more. It not only carries on the same retro tradition of its predecessor, but it still introduces enough new ideas to the mix to make the game more appealing and an even better value.

Zentendo 8/10

The graphics, while still clinging to the 8-bit style, seem a bit improved in this release.

[...]

For me, one of the biggest improvements in this title is what they have done with the music. All of the Robot Masters stages’ music is more memorable and sounds fitting for the theme of each stage.

andymcc said:
all you really had to say is that jeremy parish reviewed it and that should be enough to indicate that the review of the game is pretty much worthless.

I think he's a great reviewer, and he obviously know what he's talking about...just not this time. Sure I don't always agree with him, but I love his writing style and he usually back his points up, in clever, valid ways. His MM9 review, is pretty much, the single best written and argumented review I've ever read of a video game.

He didn't give the game any chance, and it's almost like he tried to not see anything good in it, just so he could continue to hold MM9 on it's pedestal. Kind of weird too, how Parish gave the game it's only borderline negative review, and how his forum members are exactly as dissapointed as him...bunch of Sheep...Man. :D I remember the same thing happening with Half-Life 2. I think he gave it a great score but still one of the lowest, the game received while continually saying it didn't build on the first game...He missed the mark back then, and missed it now.

Reading the Mega Man Network, RockmanPm, or many other MM fansites and everybody seems to be busting a nut over the game and that includes people who own several of the MM9 records. Shit even members who refused to even acknowledge MM9 or give it any chance, saying that it was just another bland NES MM were won over by MM10. That means something.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
I forgot this was dropping on PSN next week....dang...i have so much going on with gaming right now. Just not enough hours in the day. :lol

Echoes

hikarutilmitt said:
Still waiting till next week's PSN release. Not fond of the game looking like ass on an HDTV, lol.
It looks super sharp on my HDTV. Set up your TV to 16:9 and your Wii to 4:3 and it will look just fine.

Finished the game earlier today. Wily stages weren't as hellish as 9, but overall, the game is definitely challenging and fun as hell. I couldn't stop playing, literally. If it wasn't for work I would have been playing at home right now.

I would like to quote the greatest post in GAF. It tells what I couldn't tell very well.

TheCardPlayer said:
The thing with MM9 is that it was announced at the time, where the Mega Man franchise was in a black hole of fuckness and fail. All that came out where shitty spinoffs, and their bastard children filled with part doucheness, part fucking evil.

Then MM9's trailer came, and showered the fans with it's holy light. All was good again, and we ran in the fields of love and sheer glory. The Blue Bomber was back! And with him, came glorious music, lordly levels and the sweet fucking flagrance of victory.

Of course, MM10 will never have that glorious impact upon our lowly gaming souls. It's the follow up, to the fucking game that saved this magical, oh so precious franchise. But taking off the HOLY FUCKING SHIT ITS MEGA MAN 9 glasses, it's easy to see that MM10 is in no way worse, other than if you are perpetually drinking the Mega Man 9 love Kool-Aid. Which is fine. It is after all, the GOTFY08.

But in it's own way, MM10 is the GOTFY10. It radiates with a full light of win and absolute love from Capgod and their game making skills. It feels like it was forged in the glorious heavens and bestowed upon us, as a sword to destroy the evil of shitty fucking Mega Man Star Force and it's cave troll companions.
What a fucking awesome game. Mega Man 9 and Mega Man 10 are two of my favorite games of all time. Unparalleled level design that shits on everything Capcom ever done. Unbelievably clever and never gets old.

Game of the fucking Year.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Man God said:
So I beat the game about an hour ago.

Normal Mode, MM.

The music is rad and the Wily Fort has some amazing bits to it, especially the first and last level.

Dude, spoilers please!

j/k

Well, I downloaded the game late Monday night, just did a quick attempt at every stage in the game and so far have only beaten Sheep Man. So far, level design is clever, although it doesn't seem as devious as MM9, but that's a good thing, since I think 9 pushed it a bit. The music, I'll echo peoples' disappointments... I really like 9's soundtrack, but so far none of the songs in this one seem all that awesome. Maybe I do need to give the tracks a bit more time to sink in.

Some of the minibosses are pretty difficult, the castle at Blade Man's stage (hopefully getting some of the weapons will help with this) in particular.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
djtiesto said:
Dude, spoilers please!

j/k

Well, I downloaded the game late Monday night, just did a quick attempt at every stage in the game and so far have only beaten Sheep Man. So far, level design is clever, although it doesn't seem as devious as MM9, but that's a good thing, since I think 9 pushed it a bit. The music, I'll echo peoples' disappointments... I really like 9's soundtrack, but so far none of the songs in this one seem all that awesome. Maybe I do need to give the tracks a bit more time to sink in.

Some of the minibosses are pretty difficult, the castle at Blade Man's stage (hopefully getting some of the weapons will help with this) in particular.

I know your kidding but i think its obvious to any longtime Mega Man fan that Wily would be involved with MM10's story...:lol

DemiMatt

oh man, another week. Isghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. THis game looks awesome, one of the great things done in the modern era of gaming!

vulva

just beat it last night. A lot easier than MM9. It wasn't too difficult to beat each boss with just the mega blaster and no e-tanks. My total play time was about 4:30 or so. 1 hour was spent mostly just trying to beat solarman with the blaster (probably the hardest boss imo). My main complaint is
Wily's too easy. The final form should have been in the same part as the boss rush.

Fun experience, gonna try on Hard Mode some time soon.

also yellow devils aren't fun, fuck you capcom

nbraun80

Mike M said:
Wait wait wait, so Bass code and assets are included in the game we already paid for, we just have to pay more to access it? Mother of FUCK, that pisses me off to no end. Shit like that ought to be fucking illegal.
See I really don't have a problem with this. The way I see all together this content is a $20 game, but some people may not want to play as Bass or Endless mode so they let us pick and choose. It also may get more people to buy it if it's $10, and the more people that buy the game, the merrier. If people didn't know that they tried to save a little time by not having you download more stuff and just having you unlock the code, they wouldn't be complaining...

Yaweee

1-bit download data are dumb, but if the content is completed before the game is released, what does it matter?

I'm playing through Easy now and later Hard; do people want a detailed list of difficulty changes like I did in an earlier post, and if so, what should I spoiler-tag?

EDIT: Finished easy mode. Generally, fewer enemies, less damage, simplified platforming, different attack patterns for enemies, better powerups laying around, and better item drops from enemies.

Hard seems to be the opposite, with more enemies, faster enemies, more complicated attack patterns, more projectiles launched at a time, higher respawn rate for some enemies, etc.

Overall, these are some of the best designed difficulty levels I've seen in a while.

natedog4000 said:
See I really don't have a problem with this. The way I see all together this content is a $20 game, but some people may not want to play as Bass or Endless mode so they let us pick and choose. It also may get more people to buy it if it's $10, and the more people that buy the game, the merrier. If people didn't know that they tried to save a little time by not having you download more stuff and just having you unlock the code, they wouldn't be complaining...

Exactly how I view it.

Actually I think I paid close to 30$ for 9, because I literally bought every theme, gamer picture, and piece of downloadable content available for the game lol. Sorry I can't help what a stupid Megaman fanboy I am.

Would have paid 50$ for this, like I would a Megaman 3 cartridge in 1991.

Oh, and yeah 360 here. Gunna be a long wait.

Top Bottom