• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The official Mega Man 10 thread At least it's not Mega Man Universe.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Even better complainers can get those powers back for the low low price of 2 shots instead of three on screen and double damage taken.

jarosh

man, nitro man's theme is fucking glorious! if only the rest of the music was this amazing. meh, doesn't matter. game is fuck awesome as far as i'm concerned. been playing some more ;)

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
SonicMegaDrive said:
I just can't get over how awesome Mega Man 9 and Mega Man 10 are.

So many sequels are just craptacular efforts that just try to upgrade the sound 'quality' and the graphics and throw in more story, voices and other crap.

MM9 and 10 do it right. They actually take what was GOOD about the original games(the upbeat music, the quick, twitch-based gameplay, and the interesting robot masters) and they improve the formula with tighter, more-focused level design and superior challenge and replay value. At first glance, it looks like a quick rehash of Mega man 2 because of the fact that you've been stripped of your later abilities(which were just complicating the game and taking the focus away from the need for good reflexes and precision anyway). But it isn't. It's actually better. It really is.

If only every 'update' to a classic series would do it this way. It's perfect.

Agreed 100%. Mega Man 9 and 10 are better than MM2. I am certain of that.

TheCardPlayer said:
Yeah, there is no way MM10 looks worse than MM9. It's far more detailed.
So they went for the "reasonably pretty NES game" look this time around? I felt that with MM9 they went a bit overboard with the "OK, this is supposed to look like an NES game, so here's some clashing colors against a black background" shtick. MM5 and 6 are indeed some of the prettiest games I've ever seen on NES.

Also, yeah, watching that stream right now and Nitro Man's theme is indeed genius, they really knew what they were doing when they used it to accompany the teaser for the game.

TheCardPlayer

Another thing that I feel put MM9 and 10 above their NES brothers is the batshit insane level design. Both of these games have entire levels defined by their fun gimmicks. MM8 tried to hit that balance and failed miserably.

Sanic

(Now that i've been pointed to the right thread. Thanks jarosh :p)

Glad to see most are enjoying it! Is there still only one Wily castle like MM9?

TheCardPlayer

Pandoracell said:
(Now that i've been pointed to the right thread. Thanks jarosh :p)

Glad to see most are enjoying it! Is there still only one Wily castle like MM9?

Yep. That's my only dissapointment. I prefer the longer MMs.

Lijik

Echoes said:
3 bosses down, loving it. Very different from 9 from my experience so far. Levels are more punishing.

Complete opposite for me. 9 kicked my ass repeatedly even in bits that didn't rely on gotcha traps, but in MM10 the only Robot Master stage thats posing a threat is Commando Man because of those enemies that fly up from pits. And beyond that I only have Blade Man left to go.

Despite it being the easiest Mega Man for me, the level design so far has all been pretty fucking top notch and I love the stage gimmicks.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Another hour into the game. It's shaping up to be potentially better than 9, which is the best in the series so far.

Man, I just can't believe how great this game is. Using L and R to switch weapons on the fly is awesome, too.

Downloaded the game a little while ago and just got done being owned by Chill Man's stage. Definitely lovin' the game so far (sweet title screen), my only two initial gripes: Mega Man STILL doesn't have the slide. I could understand this a bit with MM9 since Inafune was specifically going for a hardcore MM 2 feel with that game, but this is a bit rediculous at this point. PM has megabuster, slide AND shield reflect, they could have at least given MM the slide and there'd still be plenty of incentive to replay the game as Proto Man. Also, still no progressive scan and what's worse is the video this time seems even less crisp than the last game's use of 480i. Maybe it's just me but I hope they didn't muddy up the video to make it more cross compatible with the 360 and PS3 versions. There is a bit more detail in the graphics themselves this time though which is nice.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Hahahaha, holy shit. If you shoot the flame shot thing in the air against Chill Man and he freezes you, the flame shot changes color since Mega Man changes color and it's on the same sprite palette.

I know this is kind of obvious, but it's little things like this that you never think about since they don't happen in modern games. God, I love Capcom.

MAtgS

So I take it no co-op? I was kinda hoping the bit about Proto Man helping Megs would lead to that. Oh well.

I may wait until the PSN version is out if only for the sake of trophies.

Davey Cakes

jarosh said:
man, nitro man's theme is fucking glorious! if only the rest of the music was this amazing. meh, doesn't matter. game is fuck awesome as far as i'm concerned. been playing some more ;)
Nitro Man's theme is like Tornado Man's from MM9. They used it in the trailer and it's just one of those themes that you think of when the game's title pops in your head. In a way, it's a "leading theme" of sorts, and you bet that the "leading theme" is going to be great.

That said, the music overall in MM10 thus far is pretty good, from what I can tell. Don't care too much for the Blade Man or Chill Man themes, but the Commando Man and Pump Man ones are great. I think the boss music is one of the best I've heard out of the series, too; better than MM9's anyway.

TheCardPlayer said:
Agreed 100%. Mega Man 9 and 10 are better than MM2. I am certain of that.
MM2 is the one that most people put at the top, but I consider it a bit overrated. MM3 always took top honors with me. Then MM9 came out, and it too knocked MM2 down a notch, mostly because of the extra content in game (challenges) as well as DLC. I'm thinking MM10 will do the same.

OnPoint

Completed all the robot masters. Probably one of the easiest group of bosses in a Mega Man game to date.

I like that Wily stage 1 uses the old style robot powers. But it's a pretty big letdown of a stage so far

Kishgal

Banned
Finished it on normal. I found it to be... much easier than I was expecting. I managed to get the blue bomber and tenacious achievements on my first play (all first play achievements, contains a "spoilery" one about the final boss, I guess). Slightly disappointing in that respect, since it was more difficult for me to get the equivalent ones in MM9. I also kind of felt that the weapon spread was a bit weak, but it wasn't too big of a deal. All that aside, I liked the game, just not as much as I'd hoped. It might grow on me on future plays. I hope it does. I also really can't wait for Bass mode. Next up: the challenge rooms, then hard mode later on.

Totally agree about Nitro Man's music, by the way.

Davey Cakes

In terms the robot masters and challenge, I'd say I'm reminded of MM2 here. Playing in normal mode, I've noticed that the bosses are incredibly easy once you have their weakness. Not even MM9 made the special weapons this powerful. That said, something tells me things will be different in "hard mode" just as they were in MM2's "difficult mode."

Balb said:
The fact that MM10 has DLC like 9 did makes me sad.

3 dollars for endless attack is a steal. It's a fantastic mode.

A dollar an extra stage is also fine by me. Bass will be interesting to see in 8-bit form. I wonder if he will retain his diagonal shooting mechanic.

Megaman 5 hate? Easily my favorite in the series. Granted, the Megabuster is the only weapon you need and it is a bit easy. It has the best music, most polish, best "story", tightest control, etc.

I think 9 is probably the best designed game in the series to be honest, but I can never argue with my nostalgia, and therefor 2, 5, and 3 will always be the best!

Echoes

Finished all the bosses, tried Wily Stage 1 and that was sweet. Gonna stop now because I have work after 2 hours and I need to get some sleep. I should be in bed 3 hours ago :(

I love the game. It's much different than 9 and I welcome this. It seems I'm in the minority who found the game (8 bosses so far) to not be that easy. The bosses are fairly easy with the weapons, but some of the stages are brutal. I freaking hate Commando Man's stage.

I turned off my Wii. Are there any DLC up? Didn't thought they would release it day 1. What are they, if so?

Davey Cakes

With the sandstorm, it's just a matter of patience, since the thing is quite predictable. You just have to time everything right and wait for the right moment to move your ass.

IceMarker

I just bought the game, just played through Sheep Man's stage really quick. Wow I can't wait to play more of this one! Great game based on one stage so far! :D

Also I'm playing on Normal mode. So far I've only died twice and that was because of low health and the boss. Whoever plays Easy mode is not looking for a true Megaman experience. :lol

Poyunch

I'll probably get it in April with that free 500 point MH card from Capcom.

edit: and obviously some more points. :p

TheCardPlayer

ChoklitReign said:
How would you rank 1-10 regarding the difficulty of Normal mode?

If Mega Man 9 is 10, then MM10 is about 5 really. The stages are far more lenient. There are less spikes and pits. There's less cheap deaths too. All and all, the challenge level here, is better.

About 5, where 10 is Battletoads and 1 is Kirby's Adventure.

I wouldn't say there's a huge gap between MM9 NM & MM10's NM difficulties so far. The shop and weapons allowed you to easily get past a lot of hard parts, so about a 6 relative to MM10.

The Lamonster said:
Yeah, it's a lot like the collection of challenges in Shadow Complex, which were awesome.

Wow, I didn't knew that there was a challenge mode like that, I thought people were talking about the internal achievement system (which was called challenges in MM9), sounds pretty awesome.

Also,there was no easy mode in MM9. The only help for the less skilled players is the shop, the more you play and lose, the more screw you'll get to buy stuff.

The music, as I've noted before, seems... different. In Megaman 9, the music was Capcom-like, and my mother and I were both reminded of Ducktales, even.

In Megaman 10, it seems to be a little different, as if it were made by different people or in a different style. However, I'm actually liking the music so far. I played
Blade Man, lost, then Astro? Man, lost, then Sheep Man, easy victory
. I like the boss music, it's quite... moody I guess, as opposed to the energetic boss music of Megaman 6 and 9.

The game throws some nice, interesting gimmicks at you. I like the charging thing in Sheep Man's stage.

Considering that this is, after all, Megaman 10, I guess they were really going all out on this one in quite a few ways. I wonder (beg) if there will be a Megaman 11, and if so, I wonder if they'll keep it similar to 10.

Dacvak

Holy shit, fighting the
old games' robots
was a cool twist.

I love this game.

AND the awesome music.

Finished the game, the Robot Master stages were really good but the Wily stages were a bit of a letdown compared to 9. I like that they included a hard mode, that should keep me occupied for a while!

Ya'll think that its possible it only -seems- easier because we've all cut our teeth on 9 and at this point are Megaman badasses?

When 9 hit I couldn't believe how hard it was. Now I can fire up the game and simply run shop. I know part of it is engrained in my memory, but MM9 definitely gave us all back our 8 and 16 bit skills if you ask me.

Speaking of difficulty, are there Hero and Super Hero modes this time around?

Rafaelcsa

The only stages I've played so far are Sheep Man, Commando Man, Solar Man and Nitro Man. They all have great level design, on par or better than MM9! Sheep Man stage was the coolest one, I loved the conveyor belts and those puzzles with the line of blocks which disappear when you step on them.

I like the soundtrack, but, so far, I don't find it as strong as MM9's. I know it's too early to say for certain and maybe the songs will grab me with time but I remember being instantly hooked to almost every song in MM9. I'd say the songs in these stages I played are really good, just not as fantastic as Tornado Man's or Hornet Man's songs, to cite two favorites.

I have to say that I find MM9 to be the best of the classic series. Better than both MM2 and MM3. I hope MM10 lives up to its predecessor!

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Challenges mode is soo good.

Being able to practice against bosses anytime you want? Yes please. Too bad you can't select Protoman.

KevinCow

Banned
I don't know if the game's far easier than 9 or I've just gotten better since 9 came out, but I've tried four stages so far and have only had to continue once. Whereas in 9, I had to continue on every stage except Galaxy Man the first time around.

As for the music... well, it's not bad, but it's definitely not as good as 9.

EDIT: Uh, okay, now it seems to be ramping up in difficulty. I guess I just chose the easy levels first.

MEGA MAN IS BACK BABY!!!!!

awesome, awesome levels that keep you on your feet, beautiful 8 bit graphics, wonderful depth. Lovin it so far. Not really feeling the music direction they went it but its FAR from bad, it's at least fresh. Nothing gets my adrenaline pumping like that little blue robot! :D

Been trying to beat the boss you fight after you get to the room where you fight all the bosses in Wily's castle for two days!!!!!! On 9.

I wanted to beat 9 before downloading 10, but I just can't do it, so I just went ahead and I am downloading 10 now, I'm excited ;-)

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Incitemaybe said:
Been trying to beat the boss you fight after you get to the room where you fight all the bosses in Wily's castle for two days!!!!!! On 9.

I wanted to beat 9 before downloading 10, but I just can't do it, so I just went ahead and I am downloading 10 now, I'm excited ;-)

Have you tried half damage? It's really helpful.

Also the first form's weakness is basically P shot, second forms is Concrete, and third is Spark, and you can stuff Wily's airborne attacks with a well placed Black Hole or a Tornado spam.

Top Bottom