• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Red Steel 2 thread of nearly 1:1 sword slashing

BARKSTAR said:
Just had confirmation that I have a dispatched order and will have the game tomorrow!!! Not bad considering I am in the UK! :)

Got my fingers crossed an hoping for the best. I'm pretty fussy and can pick up on flaws quite easy so will be here with honest and unbiased opinions as soon as possible. Here is hoping that it's as good as we are all hoping...

Who did you order it from? I'm in the UK too and my estimated dispatch is March 25th from Amazon, with an estimated delivery of March 30th-April 1st. I don't mind having to wait, still got a lot of other things to play, but I'm just curious.

Also that Vitality sensor idea does sound cool. No downside, just a different bonus depending on your physical state.

[Nintex]

The editor in chief for the site I write for just put up his review(in Dutch) rated it a 94/100. He praised the near perfect controls, great visuals and sound. He completed the game and all the optional challenges in 11 hours on the hardest setting and that was the biggest downside.

Then again he's the guy that rated Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity a 90/100.:lol

heringer

comedy bomb said:
I have a feeling this game is going to bomb at a Darkside Chronicles level. : /
Nah. It might bomb, but not at Darkside Chronicles level. Ubisoft is actually advertising Red Steel 2.

comedy bomb said:
I have a feeling this game is going to bomb at a Darkside Chronicles level. : /

Nah, I think it looks interesting and there are a lot of people who bought Wii Sports Resort that will be looking for another title to use with the Wii Motion Plus™. Plus, it's a Western with swords and it looks cool.

Who doesn't want to buy it?

heringer

According to the last Nintendo Voicechat, IGN's review will be up tomorrow at 9.0AM.

Craig said it's one of the best third party games on the system and he really recommends it, but had a few problems with it. Mainly the balance, says that by the end of the game you're so overpowered that even bosses are a breeze. He played on normal difficulty though. He also said it took him about 10~12 hours to finish.

botticus

Can't say I was totally sold on the game, but Amazon decided that they would ship it out earlier today, so they pretty much made up my mind for me. Guess Fragile is going back to the store.

hatchx

Banned
heringer said:
According to the last Nintendo Voicechat, IGN's review will be up tomorrow at 9.0AM.

Craig said it's one of the best third party games on the system and he really recommends it, but had a few problems with it. Mainly the balance, says that by the end of the game you're so overpowered that even bosses are a breeze. He played on normal difficulty though. He also said it took him about 10~12 hours to finish.

I wonder if he played it on hard?

EDIT- Oh. This explains it. Can't really complain if he didn't try it on hard. Also, how can that be a gripe? That's like saying 'this game is too easy! but I didn't play on the hardest difficulty'

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
My Amazon copy shipped! Should have it and Strange Journey tomorrow; Wednesday at the latest!

big_z

hatchx said:
I wonder if he played it on hard?

EDIT- Oh. This explains it. Can't really complain if he didn't try it on hard. Also, how can that be a gripe? That's like saying 'this game is too easy! but I didn't play on the hardest difficulty'

he's mentioned before that he usually plays the game on the defualt difficulty since thats what most people will end up playing on.

WillyFive

I actually have no idea how this game will sell.

It's the sequel to the super hyped Red Steel launch title for the Wii.

But I also have no confidence in Ubisoft.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
The game will be extremely lucky to sell even close to the ~1 million the original managed.
Sadly, this game almost assuredly deserves those numbers a lot more than the first one did.
Alas, not an altogether uncommon scenario.

benita

Banned
He's not saying the game as a whole is too easy. He's criticizing the balance which suggests that for the first 75% of the game, the difficulty is fine, but your character becomes too overpowered at the end.

You'd likely end up with the same issue on hard. Either that or hard will be insanely difficult at the beginning in order to compensate.

Valid complaint if that's the case.

This was at the top of my purchase list, and the positive feedback is encouraging. But I still have Final Fantasy, Pokemon, Megaman 10, and Muramasa among others to still beat. :(
I may pick it up next week, or wait for some good deal on it.

Penguin

heringer said:
Another interview with Jason Vandenberghe:

http://www.vg247.com/2010/03/22/interview-red-steel-2s-jason-vandenberghe/

One part got my attention though:

Is it just me or that is actually a pretty awesome idea? :lol

Finally reading the interview, and love how he describes the whole core/casual thing. :lol

For mature games: you are referring, I believe, to an online conversation that I lovingly call The Great ‘Is-The-Wii –Hardcore’ Religious War. Someone, somewhere decided that the Wii wasn’t hard enough. Because it’s white? Because girls play with it too? Blame Mario? Not sure. And since then any data for the Wii, positive or negative. is inevitably interpreted as proving that only non-gamers play with Wiis. Which is clearly not true.

Well, kids, for the record, I have no interest in your religious war. I’m gonna go ahead and make what some of you might call a ‘real game’ for Wii, put a bunch of stuff in it you can’t get on other platforms, and I’m betting that one or two of you might evening be willing to try it, even if it’s on the Wii. See if I don’t!

Hiltz

I'm not even going to take a guess as to how well or poorly Red Steel 2 will do sales-wise. Although, it's going up against some heavy competition with FFXIII and God of War 3.

Ubisoft did a decent job promoting Red Steel 2 but it seems like it will be putting its hands under its ass hoping that the game will do well without any further promotional effort on its part. Hopefully, the game's potential positive reviews will help contribute to the hype and get more people interested.

It's good to hear that IGN's Craig likes Red Steel 2's music. I was wondering how it was going to turn out because most hands-on impressions/previews really didn't even bother to mention anything about it.

VegaShinra

By the end of the game you will be very powerful, but the game will still be based off how you play it. The guns are great and all but the swordplay is where it's at. Some awesome techniques can be learned.

If this game can move 500k that would be great. Too bad the first game was awful because if it was like this, then this would be a viable franchise already.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
jrricky said:
has any third party Wii game passed the 9.0 mark?:lol

I'm pretty sure its impossible for any ground up third party game to be marked 9.0+ on Metacritic or Gamerankings because some neanderthal 'game journalist' out there will whine about waggle/graphics/online regardless of relevance to the title and mark it low.

selig

Banned
heringer said:
It will be between 8.0~8.5, me thinks.

If Matt were to review the game would get a 9.0+ for sure.

are we talking about the same matt that gave fragile a 5.5? (calling Cassamassina a N-fanboy these days is really stupid)

joeposh

Waiting to hear some more impressions but I like what I've seen thus far. If everything has come together as promised, I'll probably pick it up first time it goes on sale.

G.O.O.

Started playing on easy. I remember why I disliked the demo, but I'm getting over it.

Might switch on normal, because at the moment, my biggest complaint is that I have the feeling that i win the battles because of my luck rather than because of my skills. I started on easy because i wanted the game to "be nice", as it's an experimental control scheme, but there's no feeling of accomplishment.

VegaShinra

G.O.O. said:
Started playing on easy. I remember why I disliked the demo, but I'm getting over it.

Might switch on normal, because at the moment, my biggest complaint is that I have the feeling that i win the battles because of my luck rather than because of my skills. I started on easy because i wanted the game to "be nice", as it's an experimental control scheme, but there's no feeling of accomplishment.
Normal mode is fine for a challenge. You'll need to properly block attacks in the later parts of the game and if you don't, the game will kill you quickly. Some enemies mix powerful horizontal and vertical slashes quickly together.

BARKSTAR

Banned
Right my copy just arrived on the door step this morning! I'm in the UK too so this is well early but I ain't going to complain!

Was going through God of War 3 last night and was just about to get stuck in again but it is on hold as I feel like I have been waiting for this forever! Will post impressions as soon as!

P.S The game has that 3 minute video regarding how to use motinplus at the start. Yawn, lol!

Cep

Banned
selig said:
are we talking about the same matt that gave fragile a 5.5? (calling Cassamassina a N-fanboy these days is really stupid)

Aside for that abortion called The Conduit, Matt is usually pretty fair with his reviews.

Not his fault that Fragile had crappy combat (something we knew since the Famitsu review).

BARKSTAR

Banned
OK first off the game can be pretty hectic. Played for about the past hour or so. Anybody looking for the next step in FPS/FPA aren't going to find it here. The game looks great, has a solid framerate and the controls are pretty tight and overall the combat works. The game just feels very generic though. I thought this may have been the case but it is even more so than I expected. Destroy trucks, hit switch for here, kill some bad guys there, etc etc. Might get a little more creative later on but we'll see.

Some people are going to love this just for the brawling aspect of the game and for that it works fine. I just hope that later on sword fighting becomes very challenging and almost to a degree Punch-Out style in nature. Not scripted but bringing that puzzle element into fighting.

I have opened up a few moves etc and they work very well and seem responsive just about all of the time. The game really wouldn't work too well without motionplus so they have done an impressive job overall. I just wish the game didn't feel so old fashioned with overall level structure as it's obvious a lot of passion and hard work went into this game.

It's too early to give my overall thoughts on the game as of yet but not sure if it's going to hold me as long as I would have hoped. Some people are going to love it though based purely on the mechanics of the game so it's definitely going to get split opinions right down the middle. Reviews will be very varied, that's for sure.

Swittcher said:

8.5 Presentation
The original style and story is something that can't be missed. There are tons of control options to tweak to suit your style.

9.5 Graphics
Awesome visuals, running at 60 frames per second. Some of the best seen on the Wii -- passerbys may confuse it for a 360 or PS3 game.

9.0 Sound
The atmospheric soundtrack is awesome. Voice acting is appropriately cheesy but it's the music that's king here.

8.0 Gameplay
The game runs into some issues of misreading some motions, but for the most part we're looking at one energetic action game.

7.0 Lasting Appeal
It's not super long but it's an appropriate dozen hours from start to finish. Challenge mode extends that.

8.6 OVERALL

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Currently debating between buying this and NMH2(which I have been eyeing since it launched). So uncertain!

Top Bottom