• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Red Steel 2 thread of nearly 1:1 sword slashing

Burai

shitonmychest57
Vizion28 said:
I'm curious to know how many people here know Wii owners who have modded their Wiis and play pirated games instead of buying the actual copy? I ask because I seriously don't want this game to flop at retail.

This game is more likely to flop due to buyers remorse from owners of the first game than it is from piracy.

kinosama

Neo Member
I actually quite enjoyed Red Steel.

Got started on the sequel today. I don't really like the setting and cheesy cutscenes (yay another silent protagonist), and the swordfighting can be confusing at times, because slashing in wide motions isn't ideal in a pointer controlled game. Another thing I don't like is the mission structure.

I'm about an hour and a half in. So far I really like the graphics, FPS controls and the (limited) gunplay. Game also runs super smooth, which really helps with the controls.

Compared to the first game, RS2 feels very... I guess, French?

kinosama said:
I actually quite enjoyed Red Steel.

Got started on the sequel today. I don't really like the setting and cheesy cutscenes (yay another silent protagonist), and the swordfighting can be confusing at times, because slashing in wide motions isn't ideal in a pointer controlled game. Another thing I don't like is the mission structure.

I'm about an hour and a half in. So far I really like the graphics, FPS controls and the (limited) gunplay. Game also runs super smooth, which really helps with the controls.

Compared to the first game, RS2 feels very... I guess, French?

Excellent, this was something I was worried about. The game looks great, and I was worried they were going to push the Wii's performance too hard. Style > technology, again.

heringer

Dead Man Typing said:
Excellent, this was something I was worried about. The game looks great, and I was worried they were going to push the Wii's performance too hard. Style > technology, again.
Really? It's been confirmed a lot of times by the developers and people who played that the game runs at 60fps. :p

Sadist

Spehornoob said:
Interesting. NGamer gave the original Red Steel a 90%.

Considering how wildly different than the norm THAT score was, I'm not sure what to make of the Red Steel 2 review.

I don't have much experience with NGamer. Anyone know if they generally are good to trust?
Wrong Ngamer. This is the Dutch [N]Gamer Click here and they're actually pretty good and reliable, have a subscription. Funny thing is, not only [N]Gamer has the RS 2 review, but the largest Dutch multiplatform mag Power Unlimited has one too, I'll give a summary:

[N]Gamer Closing Comment (Dutchies!!!)

Pro's: The swordfights in the game have been worked out wonderfully en the controls are flawless. The awesome cyberwestern vibe is impressive.

Cons: The uneasy missionstructure and the (a tad to) big environments takes out the pacing of the game. Keep some ice around for your wrists.

Score: 8.5/10

- MotionPlus's first test, and it passes with flying colours
- You can swing like a maniac, (and so, performing slow but heavy blows) but that won't help against powerfull opponents. There is a lot of room for more subtle movements during sword duels. You'll learn a lot of moves, which is awesome. These moves are demonstrated with real footage, by some chick with a white tshirt. Bit weird.
- The weapons are there, but aren't that important plus they don't add anything but can be used for fighting enemies of from a distance. Katana is way more effecient. In the end, it comes down to a well balanced use of guns, hitting hard and subtle/tactical attacks.
- Mission structure is meh. You go to a Casion, dojo or office and you accept a mission. But after traveling towards the mission location and completing it, you have to backtrack, which takes to long. About halfway in it's possible to accept more mission (due to more people dishing out missions) but it takes way to long to get back.
- Graphics are great. The vibe coming from the surroundings don't feel forced at all. Except for the opening sequence, feels like Max Payne.
- Leveldesign isn't that great, levels are to big and don't provide that much. Real map isn't there. except for little HUB indicator, but that doesn't help. Variety of objects is lame to, there are garbage bags though with lots of money to use for upgrades. Shit is everywhere, even in things like a royal palace. The safe craking bits are fun though, becaus eyou use your Wiimote in a fun way.
- Overall RS2 has it's flaws, but it's an intense game that's worth your time. It has a lot of moments you won't forget and because of that you'll take the sore wrists for granted. Ubisoft delivers on it's promiss.

For the Power Unlimited (Dutchies!!) Review, written by resident Nintendo fan Jurjen:

"The promiss of intense fights with guns and Katana's in Red Steel 2 have been fulfilled, but the rest isn't as intense. I found it a bit to cliché to be fully taken by it"

Score: 6.5/10

- Controls work! Fast and convincing
- In the options put sensitivity on "relaxed", so you won't swing yourself to death
- Graphics are pretty, cool vibe. But, he couldn't get drawn into that world. Felt dull and cold/distant. That's because of the story, cliché characters, couldn't take the world serious. Lack of blood also doesn't help when interacting in that world. Misses "Warmth, intimacy". Red Steel 2 nailed the controls, but it should offer more than just that.

heringer

Hmm, very different takes.

But I'm ready to take a somewhat mediocre structure wrapped up in great controls. That's about what I expected from the beginning.

G.O.O.

I'm pretty sure the controls will be good, but I fear the gameplay not to be fun.

I mean, it's so obvious that a sword fighting game is exhilarating on paper that it can't be anything but disappointing wiimote in hand, right ?

Taxman

G.O.O. said:
I'm pretty sure the controls will be good, but I fear the gameplay not to be fun.

I mean, it's so obvious that a sword fighting game is exhilarating on paper that it can't be anything but disappointing wiimote in hand, right ?
All the previews have been super positive and even the stuff I hear from pirates say it's really fun. I don't know why everybody is so concerned. It might not be Game of the Forever but I have confidence it will be a fun, worthwhile game.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Taxman said:
All the previews have been super positive and even the stuff I hear from pirates say it's really fun. I don't know why everybody is so concerned. It might not be Game of the Forever but I have confidence it will be a fun, worthwhile game.

WHAT?!

There goes my pre-order.

G.O.O.

Taxman said:
I'm concerned because my first hands-on wasn't conclusive to say the least. It wasn't a definitive build, though.

Taxman said:
Pirates have a different concept of fun? :p

Eteric Rice

Now we just need a first person WRPG on the Wii and I'll be happy.

Actually pretty happy that the controls work well. Maybe it'll finally legitimize motion controls in more adult oriented games.

Penguin

silverbullet1080 said:
Pirates have a different concept of fun? :p

Yeah if you get something for free, its easier to complain/get bored/pick it apart. Same way people TRY to find good in anything they pay money for games/movies/music, etc.

Taxman

G.O.O. said:
I'm concerned because my first hands-on wasn't conclusive to say the least. It wasn't a definitive build, though.
When was your hands-on? I played it at e3 and I thought it had a lot of potential, though I wasn't sure how deep the sword mechanics would be. A lot of what I have seen since has reassured me.

KevinCow

Banned
Taxman said:
I don't know why everybody is so concerned.

Ubisoft + Wii hasn't exactly been a winning formula these past four years. Plus the first Red Steel promised similar things and pretty much failed on all of them.

I've been optimistic that the game would turn out surprisingly well from its reveal, and I've really liked the videos I've seen, but the above facts have constantly been in the back of my head, keeping me from getting too hyped.

Eteric Rice said:
Maybe it'll finally legitimize motion controls in more adult oriented games.

No matter how well a game utilizes them, that will never happen for the huge part of the gaming population who despises the very idea of motion controls.

G.O.O.

Taxman said:
When was your hands-on? I played it at e3 and I thought it had a lot of potential, though I wasn't sure how deep the sword mechanics would be. A lot of what I have seen since has reassured me.
October, but it probably was the E3 build (it was a local event, so developers usually send older versions of their games there rather than creating new ones).

I don't remember exactly what was wrong, but I walked out very disappointed.

Hiltz

Just a heads up.

I noticed that Toys R Us is having a special offer. If you buy Red Steel 2 bundle with MotionPlus, you'll get a 2nd MotionPlus peripheral free.

pakkit

Banned
Hiltz said:
Just a heads up.

I noticed that Toys R Us is having a special offer. If you buy the Red Steel 2 bundle with MotionPlus, you'll get a 2nd MotionPlus peripheral free. This is for U.S. residents.
Ironic, given that it's a single-player game.

hatchx

Banned
abstract alien said:
Back tracking you say? Hmmm, possible hype +1 going on over here...

Yeah I was worried it'd be a level 1, 2, 3, etc; affair. I'm much more interested now that it's more of an overworld setting especially one with side-quests.

I wonder if the hard difficulty is very 'hard', or if enemies just need more damage. I will want some intense swordfights where I'm really blocking the attacks at break-neck speeds.

Ricker

I was hoping for a Wii Sports Resort type deal with this game,I don`t want WiiSport resort but the controller deal is nice...how big of a difference will motion plus add to this game?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Ricker said:
I was hoping for a Wii Sports Resort type deal with this game,I don`t want WiiSport resort but the controller deal is nice...how big of a difference will motion plus add to this game?

It doesnt work at all without MotionPlus. You need it for the game due to the precision required for sword swings.

hatchx

Banned
Ricker said:

I'm confused what you are saying/asking.

It is a WSR type deal in how they include Motion+. I think WSR is 49.99 and RS2, with the M+ bundle, is 59.99 (still a deal on the M+).

Motion Plus is required to play, so there's no difference between M+ and no M+. However, the game simply would not be possible without M+. People who have played it rave about the spot-on controls.

Ricker

hatchx said:
I'm confused what you are saying/asking.

It is a WSR type deal in how they include Motion+. I think WSR is 49.99 and RS2, with the M+ bundle, is 59.99 (still a deal on the M+).

Motion Plus is required to play, so there's no difference between M+ and no M+. However, the game simply would not be possible without M+. People who have played it rave about the spot-on controls.

Oh so wait,there is a deal with it then lol...ok thanks,that`s what I wanted to know,i`m getting this now then.

Effect

Saw the clip about the female model showing the moves. The reasoning for including her is interesting. Strange what it takes to get people to adapt to something. I do wonder though if including her help female members of their focus group to start swinging the remote correctly as well or if they only tested this on guys.

Hiltz

What's up with the GameStop exclusive pre-order bonus that offers 2 new in-game swords ? Anyone know if we'll be able to get to use them in the game without having to pre-order ?

I've got my copy of Red Steel 2 on pre-order but not from GameStop.

Hiltz said:
What's up with the GameStop exclusive pre-order bonus that offers 2 new in-game swords ? Anyone know if we'll be able to get to use them in the game without having to pre-order ?

I've got my copy of Red Steel 2 on pre-order but not from GameStop.

There's an option in the game's main menu to put in pre-order codes. Presumably you put in your Gamestop code and unlock the swords. Now, games on the 360 and PS3 validate the code you put in online and then you can't ever use it again, but this is the first Wii game I've heard of which has pre-order codes like this. I wonder if anybody can put in the Gamestop codes if they know what they are, that would be pretty awesome. :lol

Hiltz

Unknown Soldier said:
There's an option in the game's main menu to put in pre-order codes. Presumably you put in your Gamestop code and unlock the swords. Now, games on the 360 and PS3 validate the code you put in online and then you can't ever use it again, but this is the first Wii game I've heard of which has pre-order codes like this. I wonder if anybody can put in the Gamestop codes if they know what they are, that would be pretty awesome. :lol

Yeah, I was hoping that would be the case. I mean, GameStop did this for The Conduit when you pre-ordered the game. You were given a piece of paper with codes to enter at the options screen. It gave you access to a different colored ASE and a new character model for multiplayer mode. Fortunately, everyone had the same code so once it was posted on the internet, anyone who didn't pre-order the game could use it.

Lijik

Rabbids Go Home had preorder codes for just about every retailer to unlock different rabbid skins, and they were all one-code-fits-all so as long as you knew the code you could unlock the skins. Probably will work the same here.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Yeah, I can't imagine that the preorder bonus codes are at all unique and require online validation. Hell, RS2 doesn't even have an online mode! You'll probably see both the swords/guns codes on GameFAQs within hours of release... at worst.

Mael

Oh, FUCK YOU! I just started Uncharted2!!
Who do they think we are time travelers?
qsdlsdfkjhzqgfekzgfzegdk
I'm really fed up with how they managed to cram this whole period, Monster Hunter is only weeks away for god's sake!
And I didn't even finish Picross3d!
Damn it Ubi

Bear

Mael said:
Oh, FUCK YOU! I just started Uncharted2!!
Who do they think we are time travelers?
qsdlsdfkjhzqgfekzgfzegdk
I'm really fed up with how they managed to cram this whole period, Monster Hunter is only weeks away for god's sake!
And I didn't even finish Picross3d!
Damn it Ubi

806573368_C5Fx4-L.jpg

No need to play every game right away.

Mael

Bear said:
No need to play every game right away.

Indeed the problem here being that after MH3 ships NOTHING ELSE will be played....
And I don't intend to even play FFXIII before friends finish with it,
I mean that's already what I'm doing!
And I'm actually waiting on a friend for Heavy Rain too.
I mean shit even when we're trying to plan they throw a monkey wrench in a perfectly oiled machinery!

hatchx

Banned
Mael said:
Indeed the problem here being that after MH3 ships NOTHING ELSE will be played....
And I don't intend to even play FFXIII before friends finish with it,
I mean that's already what I'm doing!
And I'm actually waiting on a friend for Heavy Rain too.
I mean shit even when we're trying to plan they throw a monkey wrench in a perfectly oiled machinery!

Life is hard. I love my 8-12 hour games.

heringer

Another interview with Jason Vandenberghe:

http://www.vg247.com/2010/03/22/interview-red-steel-2s-jason-vandenberghe/

One part got my attention though:

Finally, the question that’s on everyone’s mind: as a sort of unofficial ambassador to the hardcore for Wii products, will you include Wii Vitality Sensor Support in the next Red Steel?

Duh. I intend to include a “zen” mode where if you can keep your heart-rate low, your spirit (re: mana) will regenerate faster, and, to the contrary, if you maintain a high heart-rate, you will generate more rage with each strike, which will allow you to unleash ultra combos.

Is it just me or that is actually a pretty awesome idea? :lol

heringer

C'mon guys, the game will release tomorrow. Why am I the only one to post here? :lol

Anyway, Official Nintendo Magazine has a review and they gave the game 93% and claim it's one of the best Wii games. There's some scans with the full review out there. Can I at least post the cover of the magazine? It's pretty cool.

Nicktals

Banned
heringer said:
C'mon guys, the game will release tomorrow. Why am I the only one to post here? :lol

Anyway, Official Nintendo Magazine has a review and they gave the game 93% and claim it's one of the best Wii games. There's some scans with the full review out there. Can I at least post the cover of the magazine? It's pretty cool.

Yeah, I'm almost certain that covers are okay to post.

BARKSTAR

Banned
Just had confirmation that I have a dispatched order and will have the game tomorrow!!! Not bad considering I am in the UK! :)

Got my fingers crossed an hoping for the best. I'm pretty fussy and can pick up on flaws quite easy so will be here with honest and unbiased opinions as soon as possible. Here is hoping that it's as good as we are all hoping...

hatchx

Banned
"This is probably the best third party wii game we've played in recent memory. A great deal of thought has gone into every aspect of Red Steel 2. The visual design is stellar, but most importantly its evident that ubisoft has put the necessary amount of time into making sure the controls and the balance are (almost) pitch perfect. It's been a long time coming but finally we have it. After watching Shiggy waggle the wii remote on stage at E3 2006 and having our ballooning expectations deflated, we now have the sword game we all wanted. It's taken new technology and the best part of three and a half years to get it, but precious few will argue that it hasn't been worth the wait. Red Steel 2 is finally here and it's awesome."

Goddamn I can't wait for tomorrow.

This official thread is pretty depressing. I just called my EB, they got their shipments yesterday but can't break street date. They told me they didn't get many shipped, but expect more tomorrow.

Depressing.

Top Bottom