• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Red Steel 2 thread of nearly 1:1 sword slashing

hatchx

Banned
The commercial seems ok. There is one clip where the ninja dude is waving the wii remote and it doesn't really match on-screen.

Going in to pre-order this one tomorrow.

Put in my preorder. Weirdly the game was 10-15 euro cheaper then most other new wii games. Not that I am complaining. Seems to be because if you need a M+ included it is 10 euro more.

heringer

I don't see why would they show CG parts instead of the actual game.

There's pirates and samurais, that's awesome, but they don't show the game except for a very brief moment.

Oh, and the part where the samurai is showing 1:1 is a bit off.

All of a sudden I'm glad I got that Walmart Wii bundle a couple weeks ago with the bundled Wii MotionPlus/Wii Sports Resort. This looks like it might be worth getting for the lonely Wii I've been ignoring ever since I got it while playing FFXIII. :lol

heringer

Some people on Ubi forums claims they saw the commercial on Spike TV during UFC Unleashed.

Apparently Ubi is actually advertising this. Good. :D

Effect

Hiltz said:
For those who haven't seen it yet, here's the Red Steel 2 tv commercial.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTdmRR9U_3s

Cheesy but glad they have an ad out. Consider me surprised. I honestly had no doubt they'd send this out to die. I'm happy to be wrong.

I hope they air in in many locations though. Throw one up on Cartoon Network for example would be nice. I have feeling parents would be more open about buying their kids a sword fighting game instead of another s shooter when asked for a game. I am glad they are pushing the Motion+ though. They need to show off the games control as that will be the main selling point for the game.

Wish Amazon had release date shipping for the game though.

Gino

Glad to see there is a commercial. Hope they have more than just one. Also I think it might have been smart to show just game play for 10 seconds or so at the end of the commercial.

cacildo

Nuclear Muffin said:
I swear, Ubisoft must've made this after watching Sony's move commercial :lol

They do seem related, dont they?

I had this same feeling...

And the Sony one is pretty good, but the Playstation move.... pffffff, not even in the 2012 future that will be a hit.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Well, I suppose crappy (but well targeted) commercials are better than no commercials at all.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
I think the commercial is a pretty good idea, just not executed too well. Kinda similar to the Monster Hunter 3 commercials, but not as good.

But if I hadn't know about the game.... and was a consumer who didn't read reviews... seeing that samurai moving the sword one-to-one, then the pirate slashing then quickly wielding the gun like that..... yeah... I would be like "WOW HOLY SHIT!!" for sure.

So I think they get the point across pretty darn well.

selig

Banned
Well, I heard (not telling from who) that basically the controls are really great...but the rest of the game is like 12 hours of the same, repetitive stuff, and every enemy is killed the same way, which makes all the nice moves you achieve useless, except for toying around.

Basically, a typical Ubisoft-game: They focused on one aspect that´s really great, but the rest is just boring. And I actually got hyped for this game in the last few days. Will buy once it´s cheapter to try out the controls.

luffeN

I was able to play the first hour and there is one thing you HAVE to do for this game to be entertained: swing the wiimote like it's a real sword. If you swing like a sissy it will on the one hand do too less damage to enemies and on the other hand it'll be not as cool as it could be.

selig said:
Well, I heard (not telling from who) that basically the controls are really great
this.

Considering you can apparently block bullets with your sword, it sounds like if you prefer to slice and not shoot, you can go through the whole game that way.

I'm personally looking forward to Steelbro: My Shit Is Fucked Up So I Have To Shoot/Slice You 2: It's Straight-Up Samurai Cowboy Time! :lol

heringer

Rush2thestart said:
So apparantly NGamer gave this game an 85%. Couldn't find a transcript though.
Yeah, just saw that.

More scores for comparison:

Red Steel 2 - 8.5
NMH 2: Desperate Struggle - 7.5
FFCC: The Crystal Bearers - 6.5
Super Monkey Ball Step & Roll - 6
The Sky Crawlers Innocent Aces - 7.5
Scene it? Bright Lights! Big Screen! - 3.5
Endless Ocean 2 - 8.5
Silent Hill: Shattered Memories - 8.5
Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing - 7.5
Tatsunoko vs. Capcom Ultimate All-Stars - 8.5
Mah Jong Party Pack - 6
Ben 10 Alien Force Vilgax Attacks - 6
Astro Boy The Video Game - 4.5

Penguin

How exactly do you "compare" the scores? :lol

I mean same reviewers? Same issue, its really hard to compare reviews since life doesn't exist in a bubble

ivysaur12

Banned
Even after hating the first one, I actually think I'm going to get this. Looks really good. I just hope the level design is somewhat inspired.

heringer

Penguin said:

I mean same reviewers? Same issue, its really hard to compare reviews since life doesn't exist in a bubble
Well, diferent editors but in general people on a publication try to share the same philosofy.

But yeah, kinda useless. Just out of curiosity. :D

Interesting. NGamer gave the original Red Steel a 90%.

Considering how wildly different than the norm THAT score was, I'm not sure what to make of the Red Steel 2 review.

I don't have much experience with NGamer. Anyone know if they generally are good to trust?

Varjet

Penguin said:

I'll never understand this line of thinking. If I can't even compare scores from the same publication, then why quantify a game in the first place?

Penguin

Spehornoob said:
Interesting. NGamer gave the original Red Steel a 90%.

Considering how wildly different than the norm THAT score was, I'm not sure what to make of the Red Steel 2 review.

I don't have much experience with NGamer. Anyone know if they generally are good to trust?

Personally wouldn't put too much stocking in comparing scores.

1) There has been more than 3 years since the original game. Times have changed. Expectations for the console have changed.
2)This game has pretty much changed everything from the original. So could be doesn't like the art style or the scenario or the location.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Did anybody saw the commercial on air already? What channel(s) and how frequently?
I really wish Ubi would push this game.
Why?
Well, today I went today AGAIN (2nd time) to Mediaworld just to play with the demo unit a bit more (granted, only after seeing no girl was around because this is a game you really don't want to play in public, especially since just flicking the wiimote won't do any good... you need to SLASH!). Last time I did that for a game was when the Xbox360 first came out and I wanted to see how Ridge Racer "next-gen" looked, after that only Mario Galaxy had me excited enough to wait behind a kid too se what all the fuss was about (a week before the game went on sale).
Game seems really awesome and looks deliciously (60fps do wonders and it ups the ante for how well the game controls as well).
I preordered it for £29.99 (game with M+ -which I didn't need, so I'll sell it for ten quid- from Amazon UK, freakin' good deal.
Hopefully pirates/softmod loaders don't totally destroy its first month sales, I want to see this game succeeds.

plank

Dash Kappei said:
Did anybody saw the commercial on air already? What channel(s) and how frequently?
I really wish Ubi would push this game.
Why?
Well, today I went today AGAIN (2nd time) to Mediaworld just to play with the demo unit a bit more (granted, only after seeing no girl was around because this is a game you really don't want to play in public, especially since just flicking the wiimote won't do any good... you need to SLASH!). Last time I did that for a game was when the Xbox360 first came out and I wanted to see how Ridge Racer "next-gen" looked, after that only Mario Galaxy had me excited enough to wait behind a kid too se what all the fuss was about (a week before the game went on sale).

Its the Wii its been out for four years now and sold shit tons give people some credit. :lol

Hopefully pirates/softmod Loaders don't totalloy destroy its fisrt month sales, I want to see this game succeeds.

That's what I'm afraid of. People who don't believe the Wii isn't worth spending money on. :/

Dash Kappei

heringer said:
Yeah, just saw that.

More scores for comparison:

Red Steel 2 - 8.5

Well, we had nothing but glowing impressions until now.
Even without putting too much stock in this publication I think the game's gonna score well, probably in the 8s.

Just to have some fun (my scale's "Edge-like" tho, to me a 7 is a pretty good score) the ones I've played I'd rate:
NMH 2: Desperate Struggle - 7.5 (agreed)
Super Monkey Ball Step & Roll - 6 (a 5 for me, bb support ruined the level design)
The Sky Crawlers Innocent Aces - 7.5 (7)
Endless Ocean 2 - 8.5 (maybe an 8? I don't know how to rate this "experience", but if you liked the first one, this one's vastly better)
Silent Hill: Shattered Memories - 8.5 ((7)
Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing - 7.5 (only played the PS3 sku, seems more a 6.5)
Tatsunoko vs. Capcom Ultimate All-Stars - 8.5 (agreed)

Dash Kappei

plank said:
Its the Wii its been out for four years now and sold shit tons give people some credit. :lol

Well, seeing a 32y old man slashing a remote left and right in front of a tv does make for a somewhat ridiculous picture indeed, believe me!
As I said just "flicking" the remote doesn't work (damn right, finally) so I couldn't do that to just get a grasp of the looks and level design and so on, I needed the full experience but I was too ashamed :p Rest assured that at home I will fuck the crap out of every enemy :lol

That's what I'm afraid of. People who don't believe the Wii isn't worth spending money on. :/

Anectodal evidence of course, but I can't shake this feeling a bit:
Every gamer (and I say basically every one of them, without exaggerating) I know that has a minor interest in core games and owns a Wii, has softmodded the thing and doesn't buy a game after getting Wii Sport with the machine. Torrent a go-go and that's it.
What's baffling it's seeing tech-impaired mates that used to just have a Playstation for GTA, PES and Granturismo, going as far as learning how to softmod a console.
Shit's must really be widespread to the public by now then. Only people I know who buy original games are female/friends/family that got hooked on the whole Wii Sports phenomenon. But they obviously don't care for Red Steel, No More Heroes or whatever. But then you look at NPD and seeing a game like No More Heroes 2 selling basically 1/4th of the first game's first month (and I'm not talking millions, I'm talking 100k) and that doesn't really add up, gap is too wide and it only reinforces my piracy hypothesis. Maybe it's like that only where I live tho.

Eteric Rice

Dash Kappei said:
Well, seeing a 32y old man slashing a remote left and right in front of a tv does make for a somewhat ridiculous picture indeed, believe me!
As I said just "flicking" the remote doesn't work (damn right, finally) so I couldn't do that to just get a grasp of the looks and level design and so on, I needed the full experience but I was too ashamed :p Rest assured that at home I will fuck the crap out of every enemy :lol

Anectodal evidence of course, but I can't shake this feeling a bit:
Every gamer (and I say basically every one of them, without exaggerating) I know that has a minor interest in core games and owns a Wii, has softmodded the thing and doesn't buy a game after getting Wii Sport with the machine. Torrent a go-go and that's it.
What's baffling it's seeing tech-impaired mates that used to just have a Playstation for GTA, PES and Granturismo, going as far as learning how to softmod a console.
Shit's must really be widespread to the public by now then. Only people I know who buy original games are female/friends/family that got hooked on the whole Wii Sports phenomenon. Maybe it's like that only here tho.

Yeah, I hang around 4chan's /v/ boards and only a hand full of people don't actually pirate. Luckily some of them just pirate to see if the game is good or not.

It's still a huge problem though. It's the same with the DS as well. You can go to some boards and see whole topics dedicated to getting shit pirated.

Comercialy speaking, i got the feeling Ubisoft should have kept the graphical style of the original RedSteel. And take the risk maybe by giving the content more edge and up the violence levels.

Know the suggestion may sound inmature and typical videogame thinking but cant help to think that it would have benefited the game more than what Ubi ended up doing.

Hellsing321 said:
I'd say putting the score in spoilers is ass backwards, but different strokes.

AceBandage said:
It was an annoying fad for a while, is the reason.
I only brought it up due to the fact that people put pointless things in spoiler tags on a daily basis, usually as some sort of failed attempt at comedic relief. I don't really get why a review score is bannable, but
insert unfunny joke lulz
isn't. Ah well, tis the law of the land.

Red Steel 2 needs hurry into my life.

Vizion28

Banned
I'm curious to know how many people here know Wii owners who have modded their Wiis and play pirated games instead of buying the actual copy? I ask because I seriously don't want this game to flop at retail. This seems like a type of game that would be heavily pirated. Word on net is it already has been leaked.

Yes, I know the information you give is anectodal and doesn't give an accurate idea of how prevalent it is but I'm still curious.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
abstract alien said:
I don't really get why a review score is bannable, but
insert unfunny joke lulz
isn't. Ah well, tis the law of the land.
It's bannable because people abused it, and the people complaining were even more annoying.
This is why we can't have nice things.

G.O.O.

Vizion28 said:
I'm curious to know how many people here know Wii owners who have modded their Wiis and play pirated games instead of buying the actual copy?
I do. Though, the guy downloads games to try them, most of the time, and ends up buying some of them. But less than when he was into legal gaming, for sure.

About RS2, the motion + isn't packed with the iso, and there's a lot of gamers who have only one to play wii sports resort

Top Bottom