• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Red Steel 2 thread of nearly 1:1 sword slashing

scitek said:
There was a four month delay from the holiday season that sapped away every bit of hype the game had.

You can't take away what's not there.

No one was hyped about this game during that time. It was only recently that people got hyped over it.

Haunted

Clearly, Ubi pissed the core off with their new PC DRM policy and Red Steel 2 has to suffer the consequences. :eek:

Piano

Banned
14l29v7.jpg

Whoa, this is awesome.

But where the hell is the advertising for this game? I had no idea it was coming out this month. Totally slipped out of my mind.

ShinNL

TheEastonator said:
14l29v7.jpg

Whoa, this is awesome.

But where the hell is the advertising for this game? I had no idea it was coming out this month. Totally slipped out of my mind.
Wow, I was thinking that this should be one of the first pictures in the OP and it was. Good going, can't wait to buy this game ^____^

scitek

Cow Mengde said:
You can't take away what's not there.

No one was hyped about this game during that time. It was only recently that people got hyped over it.

I didn't say there was any tangible amount of hype, but there's absolutely none now.

EDarkness

TheEastonator said:
14l29v7.jpg

Whoa, this is awesome.

Okay. I have to admit, that looks cool as hell. Is that real or some mockup?

Piano

Banned
Vizion28 said:
Ubisoft, please advertise this game extensively. That is all. Thank you.
You'd think they would based off of the success of their heavily advertised Just Dance. I'm hoping something will show up soon...

Ataturk

This could be the game to get me to buy motion +, please be good. I wanna try it out but I don't wanna play golf, tennis or Wii Sports again particularly.

thefro

Khrno said:
Why don't developers make more cellshaded games for Wii? RS2 looks really good this way, I can't wait to try it out and see if the gameplay delivers.

Probably because cellshaded games = niche audience = no sales.

Still think they should have pushed it back a half year or so and stuck multiplayer in.

Used to be very hyped for this until I saw the gamercyde videos. Game looked great but it gave the feel that the sword was the main weapon and guns were more of sidekick weapons. Nothing wrong with that but I prefer shooting people over stabbing them.

Will probably still get it but maybe not day 1.

Effect

A week to go now and still nothing out of Ubisoft. I knew that would be the case but still annoying to see. I want the game but I still have this thing about buying games from publishers who clearly don't give a damn about their own games. This game is such an easy sell in terms of marketing. Why they aren't doing anything makes no damn sense.

However they won't hesitate in the end to complain about sales at all. I'm just waiting for the final insult though. Where they port this to the PS3 and adapt it for the Move controller and then do a media blitz (all of sudden giving a damn) and hype this game as the second coming.

Lenardo

Banned
mantidor said:
This is important, have we heard of a left handed mode? there should be.

nope.

from what i heard/read, it'll WORK even if you use it left handed like i will, the sword will be in the char's right hand and any motions for QTE's will have to be performed as shown.

a left slash will be a left slash a right a right, slice up, will be up, down down, etc just you won't see the sword in the char's left hand. could make for some interesting "quirks" for fighting since-probably- most of the npc's probably have more "righty" oriented defense

ie better at blocking the slash/slice from the right side instead of the left. but until we play the game extensively, not sure on that.

ubi SHOULD have been advertising this game ON TV extensively.

on chuck. sci-fi nick, cartoon network... but haven't and when this game does not sell as well as it should, we'll get the "wii gamers do not buy games" complaints.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Effect said:
However they won't hesitate in the end to complain about sales at all. I'm just waiting for the final insult though. Where they port this to the PS3 and adapt it for the Move controller and then do a media blitz (all of sudden giving a damn) and hype this game as the second coming.

Oh you know that's coming :lol

Yeah, pretty fucked up, but we all know it's coming.

scitek

PuppetSlave said:
Used to be very hyped for this until I saw the gamercyde videos. Game looked great but it gave the feel that the sword was the main weapon and guns were more of sidekick weapons. Nothing wrong with that but I prefer shooting people over stabbing them.

Will probably still get it but maybe not day 1.

I could comment on how the game is named after a sword, how it requires a Motion-Plus be attached to even play, and how the focus on the swordplay should be self-explanatory, but I won't.

Lijik

TheEastonator said:
You'd think they would based off of the success of their heavily advertised Just Dance. I'm hoping something will show up soon...
I don't remember there being any marketing if at all for that game until the game was already popular via word of mouth and youtube videos.
Hell the only ads I've seen for Just Dance is just repackaged videos of people playing the game from youtube.

Its like we have to directly show Ubisoft how to market the game for them when it comes to wii games.

Meesh

doomed1 said:
Anyway, I want to get this out there right now. I don't expect this to sell more than 250k copies WW lifetime even WITH marketing.
Well then, not with that attitude ;p
sarcasm
As far as It looks though, "near 1:1" might as well be "1:1 solid" The guy on screen seems to do axectly what we want, there shouldn't be a problem...I'm just excited to get playing it!!!

scitek said:
I could comment on how the game is named after a sword, how it requires a Motion-Plus be attached to even play, and how the focus on the swordplay should be self-explanatory, but I won't.

Your unspoken words hurts me deeply :(

I know I sound unreasonable, it's just that that shotgun(?) thing you have just seem lame and weak. More like bonus damage than a real shock and awe damage dealer. I want to be able to do a elegant head shot and see the enemy go down in between the sword slashes.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
The game seems to feature the Focus mode of the original, so I imagine that gun-play will still play a solid role in the game. If we're lucky, we'll even be able to perform the Focus mode disarming shooting attacks!

thefro said:
Probably because cellshaded games = niche audience = no sales.

Still think they should have pushed it back a half year or so and stuck multiplayer in.
There's a pretty good argument that could be made that Borderlands took the wind out of Red Steel's sail.

PuppetSlave said:

I know I sound unreasonable, it's just that that shotgun(?) thing you have just seem lame and weak. More like bonus damage than a real shock and awe damage dealer. I want to be able to do a elegant head shot and see the enemy go down in between the sword slashes.

Actually, from what I've heard in impressions and game designer interviews (and because I'm a freak about this game, I read a lot), you can generally choose to play the game with emphasis on either guns or swords. They wanted it to be about freedom to sorta choose your own gameplay style.

Whether or not that pans out in the end is obviously not really decided, but it seems like that's what they're going for.

EDIT: I apparently don't know the difference between "their" and "they're". Fix'd.

GDGF

Soothsayer
PuppetSlave said:

You have several guns actually. I know you've got a pistol, a shotgun, and a machine gun at least.

I'm pretty annoyed about Ubi's lack of advertising in the US. However, I have heard that there some buzz in Europe, which might be a shimmer of hope. Can anyone confirm this?

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
That demonstration is how it works.

It really does work and is great. Believe.

cacildo

Effect said:
A week to go now and still nothing out of Ubisoft. I knew that would be the case but still annoying to see. I want the game but I still have this thing about buying games from publishers who clearly don't give a damn about their own games. This game is such an easy sell in terms of marketing. Why they aren't doing anything makes no damn sense.

So true...

BARKSTAR

Banned
Rush2thestart said:
I'm pretty annoyed about Ubi's lack of advertising in the US. However, I have heard that there some buzz in Europe, which might be a shimmer of hope. Can anyone confirm this?

I think gamers over here are following this but as of yet I haven't seen any advertising. Quite worrying but will see how it goes. Pretty good that it is released the same week in the US and over here, should keep the hype going a bit easier. The wait for Silent Hill for example was bloody annoying!

Celine

VOOK said:

I believe but I got no money.
Damn I'm interested in Silent Hill SM, Red Steel 2, NMH DS, Monster Hunter 3, S&P 2 and SMG 2, and all of those are planned in a span of a couple months.

Fake edit:
When will be released Trackmania Wii ?

Nimyh

Banned
ShockingAlberto said:
There's a pretty good argument that could be made that Borderlands took the wind out of Red Steel's sail.
That's so sad to hear, considering that Red Steel 2 seems to be the better looking game. And yeah I mean graphics.

I've pre-ordered because of the deal on Amazon UK for the game and motion plus for >£30.

Can't wait, it looks really good.

I trust Ubisoft to put in the advertising, once the game is available. You can't hype Wii owners up like 360/PS3 gamers. They don't want to see a cool commercial and then hear the game isn't out for another two weeks, they like to see something cool and go and buy it right away.

Impulse purchasing is a big reason the Wii is so popular, so the software advertising should follow the same philosophy.

Haunted

VOOK said:

logo.gif

edit: oh god I can't unsee the little out of place orange blob on the left side of the new logo now that someone pointed it out. >_<

Effect said:

I've been thinking exactly the same thing for the last couple of months and I can guarantee it'll happen along with that Lucas Arts lightsabe game the Wii should have have for the last 2-3 years.

botticus

Lijik said:
I don't remember there being any marketing if at all for that game until the game was already popular via word of mouth and youtube videos.
Hell the only ads I've seen for Just Dance is just repackaged videos of people playing the game from youtube.

Its like we have to directly show Ubisoft how to market the game for them when it comes to wii games.
The MC Hammer commercials were played continuously around launch.

Regarding the left-handed play, I believe I read that everything works lefty, just you'll see the characters right arm moving instead, but for one special move that could be a little tricky.

Here she be:
There’s one exception: there is one move in the game, the dragoon, which is done holding A + B buttons to charge your move and then your throw it out like a frisbee. That move must be done left to right, you can’t do it right to left. Except for that, everything works fine.
http://www.wiitalia.it/2010/03/04/red-steel-2-intervista-a-jason-vandenberghe/lang/en/

upandaway

I am SO there for any good Motion Plus game as I loved Resort.

But then I saw this game supporting more and more "core" normalities, like cutscenes and QTEs, and I started to lose the feeling. I'm basically waiting on impression from this thread now.
Still can't shake the feeling of playing Swordsplay Showdown for the first time.

dsister44

i've never understood the left handed argument. even as a left hander it feels very weird holding the wii remote in my left hand since then im controlling character movement with my right hand. are there that many left handed amers which have trouble using the wiimot ein their right hand?

botticus

dsister44 said:
i've never understood the left handed argument. even as a left hander it feels very weird holding the wii remote in my left hand since then im controlling character movement with my right hand. are there that many left handed amers which have trouble using the wiimot ein their right hand?
I'm not deficient in using an analog stick with either thumb, but it's much more comfortable to hold the remote and point with my dominant/writing hand.

Lenardo

Banned
dsister44 said:

I can use the wiimote in either hand, but it just FEELS better in the left hand.

as for the frisbee toss, won't be a problem ..side arm throw. i toss real frisbee's better that way anyway.

evangd007

Rush2thestart said:

I wouldn't be surprised really. Ubi pulled the same thing with Rabbids Go Home iirc. It was sent to die in the US and didn't sell so hot, but in Europe was promoted and did very well. I read somewhere (lost the link to the void of the internet) that it did 300k in France alone.

That Singer Guy... said:
I've been thinking exactly the same thing for the last couple of months and I can guarantee it'll happen along with that Lucas Arts lightsabe game the Wii should have have for the last 2-3 years.

We're gonna be lucky with that one. It is called "Force Unleashed 2" and thus has an HD counterpart that will be advertised.

Lenardo

Banned
evangd007 said:
I wouldn't be surprised really. Ubi pulled the same thing with Rabbids Go Home iirc. It was sent to die in the US and didn't sell so hot, but in Europe was promoted and did very well. I read somewhere (lost the link to the void of the internet) that it did 300k in France alone.

We're gonna be lucky with that one. It is called "Force Unleashed 2" and thus has an HD counterpart that will be advertised.

I Saw quite a few commercials for Rabbids Go Home during release month/december.

disney xd channel (disney cartoon channel0
cartoon network
nicktoons

(i have 3 kids 5-8 they watch these channels)

Top Bottom