• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official (Spoilerific) Dead Rising thread

Pro Tip!

There is one key and clutch way that the save system will ********** you. If and when you die, it will ask you to "Save" or "Return Without Saving" (Paraphrasing). I'm assuming you've already saved at the closest bathroom. Your first impulse is to save, right? You don't want to lose your precious progress, right? Well, if you save at this point (basically, anywhere NOT in game [security couch, bathroom]) your progress is GONE. So, ALWAYS return without saving (making sure you've saved at a bathroom recently). Better yet, just Y to Dashboard.

Also, who else is going to use "Save My Game" as their permanent euphamism for taking a leak now?

Razoric

Banned
BenjaminBirdie said:
Pro Tip!

There is one key and clutch way that the save system will ********** you. If and when you die, it will ask you to "Save" or "Return Without Saving" (Paraphrasing). I'm assuming you've already saved at the closest bathroom. Your first impulse is to save, right? You don't want to lose your precious progress, right? Well, if you save at this point (basically, anywhere NOT in game [security couch, bathroom]) your progress is GONE. So, ALWAYS return without saving (making sure you've saved at a bathroom recently). Better yet, just Y to Dashboard.

Also, who else is going to use "Save My Game" as their permanent euphamism for taking a leak now?

yup i did that once already... thankfully i was near the beginning :lol :lol

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Can someone explain to me where I am supposed to lead the losers? ALWAYS to the security room? That seems a bit far and this dude is a total wimp.

Belfast

Really? I like the save system. At least insomuch as that it really does force you to survive. No "continue from last loading point or beginning of sequence" bullshit here.

Y2Kevbug11 said:
Can someone explain to me where I am supposed to lead the losers? ALWAYS to the security room? That seems a bit far and this dude is a total wimp.

Ditto. I've kind of resigned to just do all scoops my next go around. I'm too nervous I'm going to miss a story point.

And yeah, I like the save system as long as I'm using it correctly. When I used "Save" after I died, I didn't expect it to erase my progress. Now I know, and don't mind the save system at all. It makes the mad dash to the few save points all the more intense.

sangreal

Y2Kevbug11 said:
I need help.

Why is Carlito kicking my ass? I'm level 3. What should I do to beat him up?

I just kept shooting him with handgun until he died. Brad will give you more ammo if you talk to him

I really need that maintenance tunnel key, running survivors accross the yard and crap is a real pain. Anyone know how to get it?

Jasoco

Banned
I got mine today. He handed me my game and I said "How about the T-Shirt?" He acted as if it was one of those "Only if they ask" things. He looked under the register and grabbed my little vacuum-packed blue square and said "Good thing you asked. It was the last one."

Funny, I thought there'd be a shirt for every pre-order. Guess not. At least I got mine. I was about ready to complain. I only pre-ordered it at GameStop for the shirt. I could easily buy it at my own store and get 10% off and no shirt.

Haven't un-squared it yet.

So far so good. I'm with Brad right now.. weird though, I don't know what I did... I was following Brad and I saw a Gym. So I remembered the photo of Frank on a treadmill. I went in, ran on my 'mill and got 2000PP bonus. But when I went back out it said "Scoop Chance Missed!" What Scoop did I miss?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
sangreal said:
I just kept shooting him with handgun until he died. Brad will give you more ammo if you talk to him

I really need that maintenance tunnel key, running survivors accross the yard and crap is a real pain. Anyone know how to get it?

Check the tunnels (at the basement of the mall). It is in one of the rooms down there. You can reach the basement through the yard (near the strairs).

White Man

BenjaminBirdie said:
Pro Tip!

So basically DO NOT SAVE WHEN YOU DIE?

So if I wanted to start over with my buffed up character, I'd start a new game while I still have an in progress game saved?

I always choose to save when I die. It seems to work all right for me. However like I mentioned earlier I'm not interested in beating the game just yet. I just like exploring and seeing funny stuff happen right now.

(Level 7 now)

White Man said:
So basically DO NOT SAVE WHEN YOU DIE?

So if I wanted to start over with my buffed up character, I'd start a new game while I still have an in progress game saved?

Well, the Save When You Die will allow you to do that. As a matter of fact, there doesn't seem to be a way to Start Over from scratch without your Improved Stats. Be forewarned, though, if you do start that New Game, the first time you save in a terlet, it will overwrite your in progress game, I'm pretty sure.

But yeah, basically, DO NOT SAVE WHEN YOU DIE.

:D

Also, for those with Significant Others who love Dead Rising, if you've got a Memory Card and a Hard Drive, welcome to Loophole Country! We each have our saved games on different media, but under the same profile. Hurrah!

Razoric

Banned
Jasoco said:
I got mine today. He handed me my game and I said "How about the T-Shirt?" He acted as if it was one of those "Only if they ask" things. He looked under the register and grabbed my little vacuum-packed blue square and said "Good thing you asked. It was the last one."

Funny, I thought there'd be a shirt for every pre-order. Guess not. At least I got mine. I was about ready to complain. I only pre-ordered it at GameStop for the shirt. I could easily buy it at my own store and get 10% off and no shirt.

Haven't un-squared it yet.

So far so good. I'm with Brad right now.. weird though, I don't know what I did... I was following Brad and I saw a Gym. So I remembered the photo of Frank on a treadmill. I went in, ran on my 'mill and got 2000PP bonus. But when I went back out it said "Scoop Chance Missed!" What Scoop did I miss?

You're going to miss scoops all the time. The clock keeps tickin as you are doing other things. I have a feeling i'll be playing through this game 4 or 5 times just to get everything.

hyp

just picked up my copy from fry's! too bad my lunch hour is over and i've gotta get back to work. :(

here's some frank west-esque dead rising launch comedy though:

dead_launch.jpg
:lol :lol :lol

Razoric said:
You're going to miss scoops all the time. The clock keeps tickin as you are doing other things. I have a feeling i'll be playing through this game 4 or 5 times just to get everything.

Ditto.

Here's a question. My next time through, I can opt to completely skip the story shit, correct? Will every area already be unlocked?

Razoric

Banned
hyp said:
just picked up my copy from fry's! too bad my lunch hour is over and i've gotta get back to work. :(

dead_launch.jpg

Poor little SoCalRaider. :lol :lol :lol

White Man

BenjaminBirdie said:
Well, the Save When You Die will allow you to do that. As a matter of fact, there doesn't seem to be a way to Start Over from scratch without your Improved Stats. Be forewarned, though, if you do start that New Game, the first time you save in a terlet, it will overwrite your in progress game, I'm pretty sure.

But yeah, basically, DO NOT SAVE WHEN YOU DIE.

:D

Also, for those with Significant Others who love Dead Rising, if you've got a Memory Card and a Hard Drive, welcome to Loophole Country! We each have our saved games on different media, but under the same profile. Hurrah!

Oh, okay. I don't plan on playing through the game in one sitting. I plan on doing it oldskool and starting over every time I die. Not a problem for me, really.

Jasoco

Banned
****! I just died wirth the Japanese tourists and had to restart at my save.... AT THE BEGINNING OF THE GAME! Where the **** are the save places? Where??? WHERE THE HELL ARE THEY? I haven't seen a single "Save" icon since well.. the basement where I am NOW!

Jasoco said:
****! I just died wirth the Japanese tourists and had to restart at my save.... AT THE BEGINNING OF THE GAME! Where the **** are the save places? Where??? WHERE THE HELL ARE THEY? I haven't seen a single "Save" icon since well.. the basement where I am NOW!

The bathrooms.

sangreal

Jasoco said:

They are marked on the map

btw, you would've been better off saving your status and starting over if your only save was at the start, heh

hyp

fnmore1 said:
fry's on brokaw has them..got mine..they had about 5 or so left displayed

that's where i got mine too... when i arrived there about 1:30pm there were over 20 copies available. get em while they're hot!

Y2Kev

Okay, the twats listening to the shitty rap music in the yard need to ****ing die.

Gigglepoo

If anyone is Gamefly-ing Dead Rising, they are sending it out today and not tomorrow, as has been previously said. Based on when I get games from them, I could be playing this in just a couple days! Weee!

Jasoco

Banned
Wait a minute. I don't get this!

I saved at the couch. Died. Said to save status and quit. Not I am trying to get back to my save point and I can't? I have to actually start again? From the start? They're kidding, right? I can't start from the couch in the basement? WTF? Am I doing something wrong? Sure I start with all my status, but I still have to ****ing do everything again?

Am I doing something WRONG?

BuddyC

Jasoco said:

I saved at the couch. Died. Said to save status and quit. Not I am trying to get back to my save point and I can't? I have to actually start again? From the start? They're kidding, right? I can't start from the couch in the basement? WTF? Am I doing something wrong? Sure I start with all my status, but I still have to ****ing do everything again?

You can start from the couch in the basement as long as you don't save after you die. Don't save when you die and you can reload a previous save. Select "Save Status and Restart" and you're starting the game over at your present level.

Razoric

Banned
Jasoco said:

DONT SAVE AND QUIT. If you save and quit it overwrites your other save.

"Save and Quit" resets your game with all your stats intact. If you die, just reload the save or turn off the 360.

Jasoco

Banned
That's quite possibly the dumbest save system ever conceived. Ever. In the history of mankind.

So.. I can either start from my save point with whatever I had when I saved.. or start from the beginning with all my levels?

Edit: at least I got to start the game with my Ratman costume.

Razoric

Banned
Jasoco said:
That's quite possibly the dumbest save system ever conceived. Ever. In the history of mankind.

So.. I can either start from my save point with whatever I had when I saved.. or start from the beginning with all my levels?

ummm yeah? what's dumb with that? just reload the game if you dont want to start from the beginning.

Y2Kev

All right, this is borderline me-walking-away-from-the-game right now.

The twats in the jeep just are mowing me down. I'm completely inconspicuous, not making any noise or anything, and yet they come right after me. They can also hit me from 40000 yards away.

How do I ditch these twats; alternatively, how should I dispose of them?

Edit: GRRRRR AHHHH So I decide to take the alternate route and walk the longway by carrying my survivor, but otis the stupid moron keeps calling. Over. And over. And the ringing is driving me insane cause I can't answer it because I'm in the middle of a zombie pack with a young person.

So I muted it. Lol.

SuperPac

Jasoco said:

I dunno, I kinda like the idea, at least for the beginning of the game. It's very Groundhog Day or Majora's Mask. Though I think the farther along I got the less I'd like this "feature."

White Man

SuperPac said:
I dunno, I kinda like the idea, at least for the beginning of the game. It's very Groundhog Day or Majora's Mask. Though I think the farther along I got the less I'd like this "feature."

I like it too. Keep in mind that the story is apparently only like 3 hours longish, right?

sangreal

Jasoco said:

Edit: at least I got to start the game with my Ratman costume.

um, how is that different than any save system other than letting you keep your stats when you restart?

Y2Kev

Heh, I couldn't take it anymore when I found my escape route was blocked.

So I put my hostage down and beat the crap out of her. Man, I feel better now.

Jasoco

Banned
I guess the bright side is that this time I was able to reunite Jeff and um... Natalie and take that picture with the bonus PP I missed the first time. Fantastic.

Ashodin

Jasoco said:
I guess the bright side is that this time I was able to reunite Jeff and um... Natalie and take that picture with the bonus PP I missed the first time. Fantastic.
yeah there's 10,000 PP to be had there. very sweet!

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Maybe some of the complaints about the save system stem from the whole "save and quit" thing. It's completely misleading, at least the first time. It basically just means "save your stats, erase your progress."

But after you figure that out, nothing else about the save system seems odd to me. You can save at certain places (and there are enough of them), and if you die, you just start over at that spot. What's so bad about that? I guess the fact that there's only one save slot would suck in a situation where multiple people are playing on the same 360, but other than that, I don't see the big deal.

This is a fairly short game. The save system doesn't need to be extremely intuitive or in-depth.

Jasoco

Banned
Maxrpg said:
yeah there's 10,000 PP to be had there. very sweet!
I got 8500~. How would you get 10000? I did get like 5000 for both Nat and Jeff each time they joined.

Also I'm at level 5 now because I was at 2 when I restarted.

White Man

Man, I just want to run around and kill zombies, and the dude keeps repeatedly calling me on the radio telling me to go do the mission. Is there any way to set it so he'll STOP ****ING CALLING ME?

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Wtf? Does Frank have a ****ing hernia? Every two step it's "ach, ugch".

White Man said:
Man, I just want to run around and kill zombies, and the dude keeps repeatedly calling me on the radio telling me to go do the mission. Is there any way to set it so he'll STOP ****ING CALLING ME?
I knew they'd **** up the game with shit like this. I really do not care. I hope there's some sort of "bullshit-less" mode.

White Man

RevenantKioku said:
I knew they'd **** up the game with shit like this. I really do not care. I hope there's some sort of "bullshit-less" mode.

No, it's cool. He stopped calling once I listened to it in its entirety. I kept hitting the skip button because I heard the call before.

I am adoring this game.

Arrrghhh the text is so small. I can't see shit.

I only have a problem with it on the watch screen. . . but that's a pretty important screen. I kinda wish it paused when you looked at your watch. This game needs more pussy settings.

Jasoco

Banned
BamYouHaveAids said:
Arrrghhh the text is so small. I can't see shit.
That was one of the complaints in one of the reviews I read. It looks great on an HDTV, but on a SDTV it looks so tiny. Like they forgot to adjust for non 720p resolutions.

And it's true. It does look great on an HDTV. Best $1600 I ever spent. And I got a free T-Shirt. :D

shuri

Banned
Japanese devs ALWAYS have to **** something up. I hate how some of their game concepts are stuck in 1993.

The save system is completly BIZZARE. Oh well i'm getting my copy tomorrow :(

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Why is that idiot kicking me? (Maybe I'd KNOW IF I COULD READ THE FONT!)

RevenantKioku

shuri said:
Japanese devs ALWAYS have to **** something up. I hate how some of their game concepts are stuck in 1993.
This is not a 1993 thing. If it was like 1993, I'd get a nice title screen press start and start smashing zombies in the head.

Y2Kev

Has anyone met the insufferable morons in the yard yet?

How do you even go up against them?

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
hyp said:

dead_launch.jpg

Top Bottom