• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official SSX Blur HYPE Thread

RaidenZR

Man, after watching that review I really want this game. Great to hear it feels good to control and that the soundtrack is excellent. But wtf at their "lack of narrative" complaint? Who cares?

Eteric Rice said:
Can you give me a rundown and rating? I'm on dial-up at the moment, and downloading a video makes my modem cry. :(
From GT review:

Design: 8.0
Gameplay: 8.6
Overall: 8.4

Yay:
+Wii controls work extremely well [says it's hard to go back/very accurate]
+music is ace
+graphics are slick
+lots of content
+single events provide a good challenge

Boo:
-no online
-sometimes Uber tricks are finnicky or don't register
-multiplayer is a bit weak
-not as many tricks
-no real story for characters

Summary: A great entry in the series and surprisingly very fun with the new control system. SSX fans will find themselves at home with Blur as it provides a fresh breath of air and a good re-entry point for the series. "It's hard to go wrong with SSX Blur."

Eteric Rice

Mr. Spinnington said:
From GT review:

Design: 8.0
Gameplay: 8.6
Overall: 8.4

Yay:
+Wii controls work extremely well [says it's hard to go back/very accurate]
+music is ace
+graphics are slick
+lots of content
+single events provide a good challenge

Boo:
-no online
-sometimes Uber tricks are finnicky or don't register
-multiplayer is a bit weak
-not as many tricks
-no real story for characters

Summary: A great entry in the series and surprisingly very fun with the new control system. SSX fans will find themselves at home with Blur as it provides a fresh breath of air and a good re-entry point for the series. "It's hard to go wrong with SSX Blur."

Hmm, that worries me.

I won't be able to pick it up tomorrow, however I might get it if user reviews are good. :)

RaidenZR said:
I wish I waited for this before buying Sonic. Stupid Sonic.
I'd say you're lucky. I'm still torn between the two, but I think I'm going to fall into SSX's bucket and keep an eye out for a used copy of Sonic [you know it'll happen].
Eteric Rice said:
Hmm, that worries me.
He didn't focus on it too much; maybe spent 15 seconds making that comment. Overall the review was very positive, it comes out heavily outweighing any negatives.

Epiphyte

Eteric Rice said:
Hmm, that worries me.

I won't be able to pick it up tomorrow, however I might get it if user reviews are good. :)
I have a feeling that it has less to do with the Wii not recognizing the gesture, and more to do with not having the Wiimote in the sensor bar's field of view.

If it's anything like Zelda, for the first few hours, switching to the bow would make my Wii bitch at me about keeping the the wiimote pointed correctly. But after that, muscle memory would set in and I'd just naturally have it where it needed to be. I imagine this will be a similar learning curve.

Nice to see that pretty much all the impressions are really positive so far, especially about the controls. I will definitely consider it when it's coming out at the end of the next month (Europe) . In any case I'll certainly put it in a privileged place on my already packed gaming backlog list...

IGN can't review the game until it comes out because

I have SSX and Tiger Woods sitting on my desk at the office, but I am currently not in possession of a Wii reader unit, which means that I'm unable to play the titles. This is a truly painful kind of torture

Matt's blog

big_z

Smiles and Cries said:
IGN can't review the game until it comes out because

More recently he mentioned that ssx is turning out to be a solid wii release which makes it sound like they're playing it... but still where the hell are the reviews!! Gametrailers is nice but the other major sites still have nothing and the game is out today.

DarkSloth

Yay. The review sounded pretty positive. I'm glad they mentioned its like Tricky. I loved that game to death. Not sure about the characters losing their narrative. Do they still have the typical in your face attitude? Oh well, whatever. I'll definately be getting this game this week.
Mac all the way!

painey

that gamer.tv review i was talking about said they couldnt do a single uber trick in game, they either didnt register or they counted them as incorrect, it was one of their points of why the controls werent so good.

painey said:
that gamer.tv review i was talking about said they couldnt do a single uber trick in game, they either didnt register or they counted them as incorrect, it was one of their points of why the controls werent so good.
But they do know you need a full uber meter in order to make uber moves..? ;I

Eteric Rice said:
Hmm, that worries me.

that's the only one of the negative comments that worry me, but i'm sure it's the sort of thing you'll get better at in time. makes it physically harder to do physically impossible tricks... will that add or detract from everyone's experience? guess we find out real soon.

So Uber tricks don't always work and there are far fewer tricks in general... oh and story and characters are weak...ummm, these are aspects of the series I enjoy. The controls better be a good enough replacement or else I'll be pissed. :/

When you have to draw on the screen, does a pointer show up so you can see what Wii is detecting? If not, I imagine that'd be a huge problem.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Magicpaint said:
So Uber tricks don't always work and there are far fewer tricks in general... oh and story and characters are weak...ummm, these are aspects of the series I enjoy. The controls better be a good enough replacement or else I'll be pissed. :/
You know, one thing that I hadn't considered here is the lack of 5.1 audio. :\

While the PS2 versions I have played lacked such a feature, this game would really benefit from the clarity and channel separation of digital 5.1. Why the heck did Nintendo cheap out on audio as well? I can understand HD, but a 5.1 capable decoding chipset should not have been too terribly difficult to pull off.

Eteric Rice

dark10x said:

While the PS2 versions I have played lacked such a feature, this game would really benefit from the clarity and channel separation of digital 5.1. Why the heck did Nintendo cheap out on audio as well? I can understand HD, but a 5.1 capable decoding chipset should not have been too terribly difficult to pull off.

Japanese don't use surround? *shrugs*

Dr_Cogent

Banned
TheGreatDave said:
When you have to draw on the screen, does a pointer show up so you can see what Wii is detecting? If not, I imagine that'd be a huge problem.

You have to draw on the screen?

Wow, if so - **** that. No game should force you to have to point at the screen IMO.

Eteric Rice

Dr_Cogent said:

Wow, if so - **** that. No game should force you to have to point at the screen IMO.

I don't think you draw on the screen, you make motions. Like the guy in one video made a heart motion, and a trick was done. Was really just quick motions, nothing harsh.

JDSN

Banned
I really need to start using gametrailers more often, those reviews have a great presentation and nice pacing.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Eteric Rice said:
I don't think you draw on the screen, you make motions. Like the guy in one video made a heart motion, and a trick was done. Was really just quick motions, nothing harsh.

Motions I am completely fine with. Being forced to aim my Wiimote at the TV - unacceptable.

Thanks for the info.

Pimpbaa

Dr_Cogent said:

That would be quite a few Wii games then (what the friggin sensor bar is for). What the hell is with the pointless bitching? First this, and dark10x's post (this is about ssx blur, not bitch about features the Wii should have had).

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Pimpbaa said:
That would be quite a few Wii games then (what the friggin sensor bar is for). What the hell is with the pointless bitching? First this, and dark10x (this is about ssx blur, not bitch about features the Wii should have had).

It's simply not comfortable. Zelda gives me the option to turn the pointer off, and I use the joystick in the nunchuck to aim - which is a helluva lot easier than having to steady my hand and point at the screen.

Pimpbaa

Dr_Cogent said:
It's simply not comfortable. Zelda gives me the option to turn the pointer off, and I use the joystick in the nunchuck to aim - which is a helluva lot easier than having to steady my hand and point at the screen.

Sorry, it's something the Wii had since day 1. If pointing at the screen is somehow offensive to you, you shouldn't have bought the Wii. And no, it's not easier to aim with with the friggin analog stick.

Pimpbaa said:
Sorry, it's something the Wii had since day 1. If pointing at the screen is somehow offensive to you, you shouldn't have bought the Wii. And no, it's not easier to aim with with the friggin analog stick.

No kidding. Everyone knows of the Wii's hardware limitations and the Wii-mote, but someone always has to bring it up as if it were just revealed last week.

and lol @ the guys bitching about making motions with the Wii-mote. Someone please remind them what the Wii is. Something tells me if the control scheme were more traditional, these same clowns would boast that it should have been on the PS2 or something.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Pimpbaa said:

**** you Pimpbaa. I don't give a shit what you think regarding the point. It's my preference and it stands no matter how much you don't like it. F OFF.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Dr_Cogent said:
**** you Pimpbaa. I don't give a shit what you think regarding the point. It's my preference and it stands no matter how much you don't like it. F OFF.
Did you catch his comment on analog sticks?

Pimpbaa in another thread said:
Mouse>>>Wii Remote>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Analog stick. An analog stick is the worse possible device for aiming (except for maybe a digital d-pad). So bad that aiming assist is needed in first person shooters to make them playable.

skip

painey said:

this is incredibly true.

KINGMOKU

dark10x said:

C'mon now man. That topic has been beaten to death over, and over, and over. Give it a REST already.

Talk about the game. I have been thinking of picking it up, and the signs that it plays like Tricky are encouraging. The only one in the series I really liked.

Amir0x

Banned
Dr_Cogent said:

Come on, no need to go there. Let Pimpbaa believe what Pimpbaa believes, no matter how right or wrong.

Moku: Doesn't matter if the topic has been beaten over the head fifteen times by professional boxers. As long as it's still a problem (and it's a huge problem), people have carte blanche to keep complaining about it forever, until such time it's no longer a problem.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
dark10x said:
Did you catch his comment on analog sticks?

Not that one, but analog stick is far easier for me to aim with than pointing at the screen. I like how he comes off like my opinion is worthless like I have to agree with him.

No, analog stick is better. Maybe not for you because you suck Pimpbaa, but it's better for me.

Amir0x said:
Come on, no need to go there. Let Pimpbaa believe what Pimpbaa believes, no matter how right or wrong.

I don't care for his attitude regarding the subject acting like I'm some sort of idiot because I don't agree with him.

Amir0x

Banned
Dr_Cogent said:
I don't care for his attitude regarding the subject acting like I'm some sort of idiot because I don't agree with him.

Wii fans. Don't take it personally. YOU should have been more careful when choosing a system YOU spent your own money on, and if you don't like it YOU should suck it up or do something else not nice!

KINGMOKU

Amir0x said:

Moku: Doesn't matter if the topic has been beaten over the head fifteen times by professional boxers. As long as it's still a problem (and it's a huge problem), people have carte blanche to keep complaining about it forever, until such time it's no longer a problem.
Sheesh. Well, whatever. It aint going to happen ever, ever, ever I dont see the point in bringing it up in every thread about a Wii game. I mean what the **** already with it?

Would it be alright to go into 360threads and complain about the lack of waggle games? For each game?

You know its ridiculous.

rkenshin

Well I suppose analog is better if you're standing still but when on horseback during those few of those bow&arrow skirmishes, pointing with remote is better..

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Amir0x said:
Wii fans. Don't take it personally. YOU should have been more careful when choosing a system YOU spent your own money on, and if you don't like it YOU should suck it up or do something else not nice!

I don't have to be careful with shit. My Wii has worked out great so far. I started playing Zelda, didn't prefer having to point at the screen - and shut off the pointer when I found the option. That's good UI design. Giving the player options to fit their preferences.

I will point at the screen if/when I have to. If I don't have to, and instead am given the option to not - and it works better for me - then great.

I'm not going to get on a high horse and tell everyone that they are ****ing lame and stupid for not doing things the way I think they should be done. Different strokes for different folks. Anyone having a problem with it can suck eggs.

Amir0x

Banned
moku said:
Sheesh. Well, whatever. It aint going to happen ever, ever, ever I dont see the point in bringing it up in every thread about a Wii game. I mean what the **** already with it?

I know it's not ever gonna happen, sucks to be a dedicated Nfan. Nintendo decided what Nintendo decided, and so these problems - huge, game-affecting issues that are NEVER going to change - are free to be bitched about until the end of the generation.

Isn't it awesome? 'Cause I find it awesome. That's why these little discussion forums exist, and that's why shitty decisions are called shitty for a reason.

Moku said:
Would it be alright to go into 360threads and complain about the lack of waggle games? For each game?

You know its ridiculous.

No, because that's not a problem. You are free to pretend that's a problem, however, if you feel it would return balance to the force.

Dr Cogent said:
I don't have to be careful with shit.

Well, you have to be a LITTLE careful when telling people to **** off. That's not appropriate, even if Pimpbaa was being a little silly. But besides that, I was being sarcastic. You're totally right.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Amir0x said:
No, because that's not a problem. You are free to pretend that's a problem, however, if you feel it would return balance to the force.
Breaking news! Wii has a huge sound problem. :lol

KINGMOKU

Amir0x said:
I know it's not ever gonna happen, sucks to be a dedicated Nfan. Nintendo decided what Nintendo decided, and so these problems - huge, game-affecting issues that are NEVER going to change - are free to be bitched about until the end of the generation.

Isn't it awesome? 'Cause I find it awesome. That's why these little discussion forums exist, and that's why shitty decisions are called shitty for a reason.

Well, you have to be a LITTLE careful when telling people to **** off. That's not appropriate, even if Pimpbaa was being a little silly. But besides that, I was being sarcastic. You're totally right.
:lol Your obviously in one of your "moods" today, no sense in trying to tell you just how ridiculous that statement is.

But WHATEVA. Make up the rules however you want, I just dont have the effort to argue with you anymore.

don't we already have an active thread RIGHT NOW about whether the pointer is better than an analogue stick? can't we keep that stuff in there and, i dunno, talk about SSX blur in here?

i want to know how big an issue this gesture recognition thing is. i can't believe that ubers are *impossible* as one review and seemingly now skip too would have it.

Pimpbaa

Dr_Cogent said:

And it pisses me off when someone has a complaint about a game that happens to be one of the key features of the system it's on. Also, seriously what makes it so friggin hard to aim at the screen? Are you lifting your arm up straight and pointing (or do you have some disease like parkinsons? If so, I take back what I said)? You do realize you can rest your arm comfortably on your leg and point.

Top Bottom