• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official SSX Blur HYPE Thread

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Amir0x said:
Well, you have to be a LITTLE careful when telling people to **** off. That's not appropriate, even if Pimpbaa was being a little silly. But besides that, I was being sarcastic. You're totally right.

Well, I have to say - I see people tell others to **** off plenty here with absolutely no recourse - and I believe this is the very first time I have actually.

Maybe if people afforded others more respect regarding their opinions here this place would be a shit load better than it is.

I love my Wii, and I don't think my preferences mean I shouldn't have purchased it because they aren't in line with some anonymous internet individual.

+1 ignore for Pimpbaa.

Amir0x

Banned
marc^o^ said:
Breaking news! Wii has a huge sound problem. :lol

Sadly so.
saddylm9.gif

Maybe next time Nintendo won't be such a bunch of cheap con artists, and we won't even have these discussions and people bitching and such!

Except about how everyone wants a Wii in the color 'black' or 'lime green'!

Dr Cogent said:
Well, I have to say - I see people tell others to **** off plenty here with absolutely no recourse - and I believe this is the very first time I have actually.

I don't ban for it, just tell people to 'tone it down'. It's not technically an insult, but it does basically change the tone of the discussion to something hostile and it can make it impossible to recover.

skip

plagiarize said:
don't we already have an active thread RIGHT NOW about whether the pointer is better than an analogue stick? can't we keep that stuff in there and, i dunno, talk about SSX blur in here?

i want to know how big an issue this gesture recognition thing is. i can't believe that ubers are *impossible* as one review and seemingly now skip too would have it.

it's not that they're completely impossible, it's that they're so unreliable and sketchy that it's totally not worth even attempting.

my review goes up in a little bit. it's not a good score. prep your LOL 1UP REVIEWZ now.

some people will really like it, and some people really won't.

skip said:
it's not that they're completely impossible, it's that they're so unreliable and sketchy that it's totally not worth even attempting.

my review goes up in a little bit. it's not a good score. prep your LOL 1UP REVIEWZ now.

thanks for the preview :) look forwards to reading it.

believe it or not, i'm one of those people that acknowledge that people have different opinions about games just as they do music and films, so while you might get some flak for criticising a game that people have hopes for, you won't hear any from me.

it's also what lets me enjoy a game like Excitetruck inspite of what the majority of reviews said!

Pimpbaa

skip said:

Are you going to become the next Jeremy Parish? :D

Flo_Evans

hmm last gen visuals, recycled levels, crappy sound, sketchy controls. 1 million seller on wii confirmed!

I think I'll pass.

skip

plagiarize said:
thanks for the preview :) look forwards to reading it.

believe it or not, i'm one of those people that acknowledge that people have different opinions about games just as they do music and films, so while you might get some flak for criticising a game that people have hopes for, you won't hear any from me.

it's also what lets me enjoy a game like Excitetruck inspite of what the majority of reviews said!

excitetruck was 7.0 whole points of fun! (imo)

tim1138

Wow, the only thing missing from this thread now is someone coming in and calling it a non game. This thread went to hell in record time.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Amir0x said:
I don't ban for it, just tell people to 'tone it down'. It's not technically an insult, but it does basically change the tone of the discussion to something hostile and it can make it impossible to recover.

To me, it's real simple. If others here would show more respect, there would be a lot less problems here. Disagree all you like, but don't denigrate someone because their opinion isn't in line with others. If I loved aiming with the Wiimote I certainly wouldn't care if others didn't.

Just like I respect someones choice to not like rumble. I completely respect it. I don't agree on the subject, but I respect it.

Anyhow, I'm not going to comment on the subject further. Now back to your regularly scheduled thread.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
I suppose perhaps I can violate my EA ban since this can't possibly have downloadable content.

Or maybe I will just buy it used.

Eteric Rice

Dr_Cogent said:
I suppose perhaps I can violate my EA ban since this can't possibly have downloadable content.

Or just wait for some reviews, and see how it is. :p

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Eteric Rice said:
Or just wait for some reviews, and see how it is. :p

I was already planning on that first. But then if the reviews are good, I have to figure out what to do then. I really don't want EA seeing a dime from me. Buying used is my "get out of jail free" card.

Cruceh

Banned
tim1138 said:
Wow, the only thing missing from this thread now is someone coming it and calling it a non game. This thread went to hell in record time.

I forgot that this was a SSX Blur thread for a minute.

tim1138

Dr_Cogent said:
I was already planning on that first. But then if the reviews are good, I have to figure out what to do then. I really don't want EA seeing a dime from me. Buying used is my "get out of jail free" card.

As terrible as EA is with microtransactions on the 360 and I'm assuming the PS3, like you pointed out above, at least they can't do that on the Wii... yet.

skip said:
NO J)) IS LIEAR. WHY YOU PAID BY SONY TO LIOE?

no wait... sorry. forgot who i was for a moment.

once you know a reviewers tastes you can often tell whether or not you'd like a game based on their review, even if you don't agree with their opinions. heck, that's why i love 1up. i get to see the reviewers on a weekly bases. i get to learn their likes and dislikes... i get to know who favors what kind of a thing, so when i read their review i have this awesome context you just don't get without knowing a little more about the writer of the piece.

Dr_Cogent said:
Normally I feel the same way, but I'm willing to throw EA a bone on this one since Madden and Blur (whatever you want to say about their quality) are at least decent attempts at creating some Wii-exclusive content. In the western market, I think the system can really do well with that sort of support; arguably, you could say that it is going to need that support to thrive.

dfi

Hmm, that doesn't sound good at all.. I was planning on buying this when it comes out, but now I'm going to wait and see. If you can't pull off the moves reliably then that completely takes the fun away from the game.

Haunted

HAY GUYS WHATS GOING ON IN THIS THREAD?

actually, I'm just waiting for skip's review.
*prepares LOL 1up 'shops*

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
skip said:
If you genuinely think Excite Truck is worth a 7.0 after extended play (that is more than 2 hours), then we don't share the same taste in terms of videogames :) .

traveler

Not Wario
Skip, how does everyone else around the office feel about it? Do they agree with you, disagree with you? Have they even played it enough to form an intelligent opinion?

dfi said:
Hmm, that doesn't sound good at all.. I was planning on buying this when it comes out, but now I'm going to wait and see. If you can't pull off the moves reliably then that completely takes the fun away from the game.

Well, I'd recommend trying it first if you can. I've read so many reviews from pro sites complaining about controls that are "broken" and then had absolutely no problems using them - and on the other side, I've read reviews of games that gloss over or praise busted gesture controls.

More than any other system, impressions of Wii controls seem to be incredibly divisive, and it's instructive to note how different reviews of that aspect of a game can be between several different reviewers.

skip

traveler said:
Skip, how does everyone else around the office feel about it? Do they agree with you, disagree with you? Have they even played it enough to form an intelligent opinion?

the only other people who have played it so far are the other two egm reviewers (todd and jen). we all feel...similarly.

I don't see how anybody could think that Excitetruck deserves only a 7, however my tastes must differ because I've played a good bit of Motorstorm on the PS3 and it's boring as hell to me, but everyone seems to lap it up.

skip

DeaconKnowledge said:
I don't see how anybody could think that Excitetruck deserves only a 7, however my tastes must differ because I've played a good bit of Motorstorm on the PS3 and it's boring as hell to me, but everyone seems to lap it up.

a 7 is a good score on our scale.

Dr_Cogent said:

I'm torn myself. I haven't purchased an EA game since Madden 2002. Getting this game used is my only option. I'm simply not going to support a third-party company like this despite the rare, once-in-a-blue-moon decent games it produces.

MaddenNFL64

They really should have added a slow-motion period after the jump (maybe 3 seconds mid-air), so you have some time to do the motion. Right when you have enough groove of course.

Batongen

Banned
It seems like the control schemes from the different Wii games will take some time to get used to. I'm also frustrated when they don't work, especially when they are supposed to, and you don't know if it's your fault or the controller. If the games rely too much on motions I feel that a lot of Wii games will be difficult to control, and I hope that AiLive and their middleware solution LiveMove will, at least partially, solve this. I also hope that we can get back to topic and end this bitch feast.

Amir0x said:
Come on, no need to go there. Let Pimpbaa believe what Pimpbaa believes, no matter how right or wrong.

Moku: Doesn't matter if the topic has been beaten over the head fifteen times by professional boxers. As long as it's still a problem (and it's a huge problem), people have carte blanche to keep complaining about it forever, until such time it's no longer a problem.
So it's OK to continuously post things like that in different threads with no apparent link to the topic at hand? Why not start a thread about the big sound issue in a separate thread and discuss things there?
Magicpaint said:
Great. This thread has gone to hell.
No. no it is now officially approved to keep bringing the same technical discussions up in every Wii game thread (see above). It actually benefits the discussion, you know.

On topic:
Pre-ordered this after watching the GT review as they usually match my taste in gaming. 15th can't come soon enough.

Magicpaint said:
Not good enough for ExciteTruck. :p
reviews aren't meant to tell you whether or not you *should* like a game, they're meant to be a tool to let you get an idea of whether or not you might like a game. if you like a game despite what the reviews say, i don't see the need to lose any sleep over it.

you won't see me throwing rocks at review sites because of ExciteTruck. i just don't understand the practice. F1CE fans are currently engaging in the very same practice.

once i own and play a game for myself, that's when i stop caring about reviews.

skip

plagiarize said:
reviews aren't meant to tell you whether or not you *should* like a game, they're meant to be a tool to let you get an idea of whether or not you might like a game. if you like a game despite what the reviews say, i don't see the need to lose any sleep over it.

you won't see me throwing rocks at review sites because of ExciteTruck. i just don't understand the practice. F1CE fans are currently engaging in the very same practice.

I wish I could clone you

Phife Dawg said:
So it's OK to continuously post things like that in different threads with no apparent link to the topic at hand? Why not start a thread about the big sound issue in a separate thread and discuss things there?

Because Amir0x can't be confined to "on-topic" threads! Silly man.

plagiarize said:

Trust me I'm not losing any sleep at all. :lol

But I agree with what you said. I was more or less just jokingly making fun of the ExciteTruck review which doesn't gel with my opinion on the game...but I don't have a problem with the review itself. It's one man's opinion afterall. There are bound to be clashes of opinions in a messageboard/forum and I was demonstrating that, but it doesn't mean I take other people's opinions that seriously. If I enjoy a game, that's all that matters to me.

plagiarize said:

Um, no.

Reviews are meant to be a tool of whether or not you should like a game. Review SCORES are a definitive measuring of a games perceived worth to the reviewer and deserve scrutiny.

This is why people get angry at websites or print journalists when the scores don't match the review.

I'm not implying that Skip's review did this, just that review scores are deserving of criticism due to their very definition.

Eteric Rice

It's strange, I've never really had any problems on my Wii with controls. ONLY on Zelda, and the problem is that Navi lags behind where I'm pointing for some reason.

I really can't think of anything wrong with Rayman, Wii Sports, or Zelda (other than mentioned problem).

I'm wondering if some people's enviorments are having effects on their Wiis. I know sunlight has effects. I also know that glass can mess with it. Some people may not know.

*shrugs*

Pimpbaa

Batongen said:
It seems like the control schemes from the different Wii games will take some time to get used to.

This certainly was the case for me for Sonic & the Secret Rings. I hated it at first, because it was so fustrating to control. But the more I get the hang of the controls, the more I like it. This was also true for me for excite truck, to a lesser degree. I hope the negative reviews of SSX Blur are not from people who didn't give the game enough time. I will be getting the game regardless if the uber tricks are hard and unreliable to do because they always seemed that way to me in the series (I rarely could get the right button combinations to work and when I did, I almost never landed it).

DeaconKnowledge said:
Um, no.

Reviews are meant to be a tool of whether or not you should like a game. Review SCORES are a definitive measuring of a games perceived worth to the reviewer and deserve scrutiny.

This is why people get angry at websites or print journalists when the scores don't match the review.

I'm not implying that Skip's review did this, just that review scores are deserving of criticism due to their very definition.
i bolded the part that undoes your whole argument. the score is the games perceived worth to the reviewer. not to me. not to you. to them and them only.

review scores are dumb.

and skip... i suppose for the sake of disclosure i should admit that i write the occasional game review for dreadcentral.com. never suffered any backlash from it though, but then i don't really read the forums over there anymore :)

i have to give scores there and i wish i didn't, but its something our readers request.

i have no problem admitting what i'm about to say either. some games you just can't give a score. i mean, take a game like F1CE that isn't for everyone... that you know the average gamer is going to hate, but the F1 fan is going to love? how do you distill that down to a single score out of 10? when i'm struggling putting a number to the text of my review, i go look at gamerankings, see how i feel about the average, and then go with that, or push it up or down a bit if it feels too low or high.

dfi

Here's some impressions from kota ku.

"First impressions when starting a run down the virtual mountains of Blur: they've got some nice lighting, looking directly at the sun at the top of the slope makes for some beyond-Gamecube graphical effects; this is hard to control, using the nunchuk for movement, the Wiimote for tricks; I don't get it; I keep falling down, followed by some violent controller shaking; wait, I think I got it; I GOT IT!; this is pretty damn cool; Jesus, my hands are freezing!

Like many Wii games, in SSX Blur, maneuvering a snowboarder (or skier) with the two-handed control scheme takes some getting used to. But you'll find your hands, eyes and brain synching up quickly, changing your thought process from "How in the hell am I supposed to do this?" to "I can't believe I just pulled that off." I was nailing Ubertricks to the surprise of SSX Blur devs in no time."

http://******.com/gaming/ssx-blur/f...blur-maple-whiskey-and-hypothermia-239796.php

dfi said:
Here's some impressions from kota ku.

"First impressions when starting a run down the virtual mountains of Blur: they've got some nice lighting, looking directly at the sun at the top of the slope makes for some beyond-Gamecube graphical effects; this is hard to control, using the nunchuk for movement, the Wiimote for tricks; I don't get it; I keep falling down, followed by some violent controller shaking; wait, I think I got it; I GOT IT!; this is pretty damn cool; Jesus, my hands are freezing!

Like many Wii games, in SSX Blur, maneuvering a snowboarder (or skier) with the two-handed control scheme takes some getting used to. But you'll find your hands, eyes and brain synching up quickly, changing your thought process from "How in the hell am I supposed to do this?" to "I can't believe I just pulled that off." I was nailing Ubertricks to the surprise of SSX Blur devs in no time."

http://******.com/gaming/ssx-blur/f...blur-maple-whiskey-and-hypothermia-239796.php
interesting... the devs were surprised that he was able to consistantly pull off ubers. i am trying to decide if that is a good or bad thing :)

Amir0x

Banned
Phife Dawg said:

It does have a link to the topic at hand. SSX Blur is a Wii game, and because of the Wii's limitations it does not have that specific thing dark10x was bringing up. That was a disappointment to him. It has 100% relevance, in fact, since this is an SSX Blur thread and that was one thing dark10x wish was in this specific title. It's not about Prince of Persia not being able to benefit due to Wii's shit sound capabilities, it's about SSX Blur and dark10x made a point about it. We're really only discussing this because we gotta constantly account for hurt N-fan feelings. And you can never, ever account for that. It's impossible!

Eteric Rice

dark10x said:
Hold on, does this game use the nunchuck analog stick for movement or the motion sensing?

It uses both the nunchuck and the analog AT THE SAME TIME. :lol

Basically, you tilt the nunchuck left or right to make slight turns. If you want to make more hard turns, you tilt AND push the stick in the same direction.

Top Bottom