• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official SSX Blur HYPE Thread

plagiarize said:
i bolded the part that undoes your whole argument. the score is the games perceived worth to the reviewer. not to me. not to you. to them and them only.

review scores are dumb.

and skip... i suppose for the sake of disclosure i should admit that i write the occasional game review for dreadcentral.com. never suffered any backlash from it though, but then i don't really read the forums over there anymore :)

i have to give scores there and i wish i didn't, but its something our readers request.

i have no problem admitting what i'm about to say either. some games you just can't give a score. i mean, take a game like F1CE that isn't for everyone... that you know the average gamer is going to hate, but the F1 fan is going to love? how do you distill that down to a single score out of 10? when i'm struggling putting a number to the text of my review, i go look at gamerankings, see how i feel about the average, and then go with that, or push it up or down a bit if it feels too low or high.

That's why I think the whole 1-10 system is archaic and stupid. Humans don't think in a number scale.

Everybody in this thread wants to know if they should:

Buy this game
Rent/Wait for a price drop
Not Buy this game.

And I think review scores should reflect that. That's why the review comes before the score in the first place - to denote specifically why a game should or shouldn't be purchased. A simple yes/no/maybe scale is the best approach as far as i'm concerned.

Just my two cents, didn't want to hijack the thread, but that's always been something that got to me.

dfi

plagiarize said:
interesting... the devs were surprised that he was able to consistantly pull off ubers. i am trying to decide if that is a good or bad thing :)

The writer had some more to say about this in the comments section:

"I'm not sure what problems Stephen was having, but I pulled off ubers at least four times, even some of the more advanced dual controller motion ones. I'll get my retail copy in a couple days, so I'll update with further impressions. Maybe Totilo just can't hack it! :)"

Seems like this was his first time playing so if he was able to pull off 4 tricks and this was his first time, I'm feeling better about the controls..

Pimpbaa

dfi said:
I was nailing Ubertricks to the surprise of SSX Blur devs in no time

If I start nailing ubertricks off with ease in the game, bad reviewers will face my (verbal) wrath!

Branduil

DeaconKnowledge said:
I don't see how anybody could think that Excitetruck deserves only a 7, however my tastes must differ because I've played a good bit of Motorstorm on the PS3 and it's boring as hell to me, but everyone seems to lap it up.

skip

dark10x said:
Hold on, does this game use the nunchuck analog stick for movement or the motion sensing?

it uses both. motion for heavy turns, stick for light turns.

OR

you can go into control options and make it "just motion" or "just stick."

(pro tip: do the latter)

Haven't checked on this topic since page 2, what'd I miss? Oh, Amirox trolling Nintendo again in another Wii thread. Eh, I've seen this one already.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
skip said:

OR

The default sounds pretty cool, actually, but judging from your comments, it's not. I'll give it a shot.

Afterall, a lot of folks hated the motion sensing in Motorstorm, but I actually quite enjoyed it.

dark10x said:
The default sounds pretty cool, actually, but judging from your comments, it's not. I'll give it a shot.

Afterall, a lot of folks hated the motion sensing in Motorstorm, but I actually quite enjoyed it.
me too. i'm sure i'll be happy with the default if i pick this up, but you can never really tell :)

skip

dark10x said:

it's totally fine and neat at first (motion control), but once you start getting in tight spaces, rotating your wrist to the left is tiring (in an RSI kinda way) and not as effective as the analog stick.

Eteric Rice

skip said:
it's totally fine and neat at first (motion control), but once you start getting in tight spaces, rotating your wrist to the left is tiring (in an RSI kinda way) and not as effective as the analog stick.

Tight spaces in real life, or in game?

skip

Eteric Rice said:
Tight spaces in real life, or in game?

game. if it's a narrow corridor/slope, a slalom course (yuck), or even if you need to make a really quick tight turn to avoid an obstacle.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
is the drawing shapes crap with the pointer or motion?

I like the way Trauma Center Wii did it, you draw a star with the pointer pretty easy.

dkeane

Error2k4 said:
is the drawing shapes crap with the pointer or motion?

I like the way Trauma Center Wii did it, you draw a star with the pointer pretty easy.
It's with the pointer like Trauma Center....I think

Epiphyte

Amir0x said:
It does have a link to the topic at hand. SSX Blur is a Wii game, and because of the Wii's limitations it does not have that specific thing dark10x was bringing up. That was a disappointment to him. It has 100% relevance, in fact, since this is an SSX Blur thread and that was one thing dark10x wish was in this specific title. It's not about Prince of Persia not being able to benefit due to Wii's shit sound capabilities, it's about SSX Blur and dark10x made a point about it. We're really only discussing this because we gotta constantly account for hurt N-fan feelings. And you can never, ever account for that. It's impossible!
Awesome.

I can't wait to bitch about Halo 3's lack of motion control. Damn Microsoft, cheaping out on the consumer by not including the de facto next gen controller standard.

Goddamn SIXAXIS, now these beautiful Motorstorm crashes lack any tactile feedback and have no impact. RARAGDGDHH, Sony is ****ing us again.

You don't see this becoming just a bit tiresome?

Epiphyte

skip said:
Skip, are you holding the nunchuk in your left hand? Because it sounds like your supinating your wrist.

skip

yeah, pure rotation of the left hand is the only way of knowing that I was simply turning and not slowing down (moving the nunchuk backwards) or jumping (moving it upwards).

Jesus, people - please stop engaging with Amirox over this. All it does is encourage him to repeat his position on the Wii, the "cheapness" of Nintendo and gaming in ever more inflammatory ways & it just ****s up the thread...

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
skip said:

OR

The fact that you are saying to us that you play the game on "just stick" probably means that you aren't really a good gauge on what type of score this game should get.

The GT reviews says that nunchuck + stick = amazing, other impression sites are saying that the nunchuck + stick works great, and yet you are saying it doesn't.

Is it that the nunchuck isn't as accurate...or is it that you aren't willing to put in the time to get used to the new controls?

EktorPR

Cosmonaut X said:
Jesus, people - please stop engaging with Amirox over this. All it does is encourage him to repeat his position on the Wii, the "cheapness" of Nintendo and gaming in ever more inflammatory ways & it just ****s up the thread...

Super. Paper. Mario.

That should calm him. :D

TFIFF

Banned
Amir0x said:
Doesn't matter if the topic has been beaten over the head fifteen times by professional boxers. As long as it's still a problem (and it's a huge problem), people have carte blanche to keep complaining about it forever, until such time it's no longer a problem.

Ok, so when I post in every PS3 thread about how the game would be better with rumble you will echo this sentiment? I've never seen a message board this big have a troll for a mod, it really boggles the mind.

skip

RubxQub said:
The fact that you are saying to us that you play the game on "just stick" probably means that you aren't really a good gauge on what type of score this game should get.

The GT reviews says that nunchuck + stick = amazing, other impression sites are saying that the nunchuck + stick works great, and yet you are saying it doesn't.

Is it that the nunchuck isn't as accurate...or is it that you aren't willing to put in the time to get used to the new controls?

read for yourself.

MaddenNFL64

This'll probably (again) come down to digging wiimote+nunchuck motion control, or not. If you like it, you have to find reviewers who also do. If not, why in hell did you get a Wii. Sell that shit immediately. To me! For cheap preferably, I have no monies.

dark10x

TFIFF said:
Ok, so when I post in every PS3 thread about how the game would be better with rumble you will echo this sentiment? I've never seen a message board this big have a troll for a mod, it really boggles the mind.
Complain away (everyone else certainly does). Of course, anyone who claims that rumble is more important than visuals and audio is a hypocrite in my book. :D

RubxQub

dark10x said:
What's the score? I can't view the site from here.
No score in that review, but based on the words, it sounds like a big 6.

Edit: Apparently there is a score...and I can't see it. But I was close!

bridegur

5.5? I was really hoping this would turn out well. Maybe I'll just pick up SSX3 until I get a PS3 or 360 and the inevitable SSX4.

Pimpbaa

bridegur said:
5.5? I was really hoping this would turn out well. Maybe I'll just pick up SSX3 until I get a PS3 or 360 and the inevitable SSX4.

Or wait for more friggin reviews! Why do people bail out when they see one bad review?

dark10x

Where does he suggest that they went wrong?

I'm just hoping for more SSX. SSX3 was a blast and having a new version with new courses, a rock solid 60 fps, new music, and a unique control scheme is appealing.

I'm sort of liking all of these split-decision wii reviews. GT giving Blur an 8.4 saying it has pinpoint accuracy, and 1up saying its completely broken! Same goes for sonic, with Gaming-age giving it a B+ (which I agree with, because I love it) and then IGN slopping it with a 6.9.

As well, we can look at Gamespots 8.8 for Zelda VS EGMs straight 10's, and how about Red Steel getting awful reviews in NA, but decent to good reviews in Europe and Japan? I for one really enjoyed Red Steel, I know people here that hate it.

This is definitely a first. For once I'm starting to really ignore the reviews and hold judgement for myself.

Pimpbaa

dark10x said:

The controls. I'm leaning towards he just couldn't grasp the controls or didn't give them enough time rather than something terribly being wrong with it considering the positive early impressions of other sites. I'll wait for more reviews before I make the plunge on this game though.

dark10x

Pimpbaa said:
The controls. I'm leaning towards he just couldn't grasp the controls or didn't give them enough time rather than something terribly being wrong with it considering the positive early impressions of other sites. I'll wait for more reviews before I make the plunge on this game though.
That's good. I can adapt to and enjoy just about any control scheme and camera system, so those complaints rarely bother me.

skip

Pimpbaa said:

I grasped them fine, and I played the game for many hours. and I still didn't like them as much as I did using a regular controller for previous SSXs.

RubxQub

dark10x said:

He says the controls are awful, the levels are out to kill you, the classic controller should have been a usable peripheral, and doing uber tricks is impossible.

These quotes are from the review (note the theme):

skip said:
Or on the other side of the spectrum, waving your arms with reckless abandon is just as likely to produce something that looks cool and scores highly.

skip said:
The "second-nature" feeling isn't something that's possible with the Wii Remote

skip said:
When you approach a giant hill and see a trick multiplier floating above, you ought to be thinking "OK, how am I going to start my spin...?" rather than "Oh, great -- I hope I don't land on a house."

skip said:
Disruption -- it's found in the controls, in the courses, and even the music. An excellent soundtrack of exciting and groove-inducing beats takes too long to crescendo, and it's cut off every time you bail -- starting from silent scratch. No matter how badly you want to get into the game, to find the flow...the game doesn't let you.

Summary: "I can't control this game, so it's awful"

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Wow...I know the controls are new, but its amazing that some people are finding the controls completely accurate while others are calling them horrible. Are the individual tastes of the reviewers that divergent?

I really wish games gave you the CC option. I mean, it would shut up a lot of naysayers. They could easily included it games like Zelda or Sonic or SSX Blur, and it would give people options on how they wanted to play.

+1 to Midway for allowing it in Mortal Combat.

Pimpbaa

skip said:
I grasped them fine, and I played the game for many hours. and I still didn't like them as much as I did using a regular controller for previous SSXs.

It's hard to trust your opinion at the moment skip when you say something about it and another reviewer the opposite. If most of the reviews share the same sentiment as yours then I'll give you a cookie :D

Top Bottom