• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order: 1886 - New Gameplay Footage Released Before Embargo

How would you define the UC franchise then, do tell.
I think it's more of an action-adventure game than a generic shooter. I don't think I would be alone in saying that the shooting is actually the weakest aspect of those games. There are entire chapters in Uncharted games where you have no weapon or engage in no combat. I think the
young drake
section of UC3 is what made that game stand out, and the whole point is to avoid conflict. A generic shooter is a game like Killzone, Halo, Call of Duty, Battlefield etc where the only action is shooting. Go to point A shoot this, move to point B repeat. I've always felt that Uncharted is more inline with Tomb Raider than those games and that the puzzle solving, platforming and emphasis on story are what makes those games stand out. It's why I enjoy playing the SP of an Uncharted game, but can't stand GoW's single player. Your also comparing one of the most well written game franchises ever in Uncharted, to a game like The Order which we know very little about. Games like The Walking Dead have shown that a story alone can carry a game, but to say that The Order is capable of that having seen next to nothing about it is seems a little premature to me.

Abounder

Banned
So many threads. Anyway looks like Ryse of War: 1886 with Silent Hill fog and Doom 3 darkness

The preview seems rushed for Titanfall, The Order:1886 looks like a delay in the making, and I'm still wondering how they're using the wider resolution and black bars to add to the game. Because right now it looks like the game would lose just about nothing if it was full-screen instead.

QTEs, black bars, no multiplayer, and seems like a rushed project leads me to believe this game is worthy of a rental instead of $60, but time will tell. It does have fantastic character models though.

A cheesy-looking, linear third-person QTE fest from a B-tier dev. I cannot understand the excitement over this.

the graphics look nice though. I don't know enough about the developer to comment on that, but I agree about the QTEs. Can't believe they're going that route

BadWolf

I'm really hoping that this game plays the way it does is because its going to be replacing Uncharted in this style of gameplay in Sony's lineup and Uncharted goes more in the direction of a more focused adventure game with less shooting.

I just don't get people these days. Here's this absolutely beautiful game that apparently gets ripped on because it shares a thread with some of the greatest games of recent years. It's like when people dismiss TF as COD with mechs... as if that is something inherently bad.

the graphics look nice though. I don't know enough about the developer to comment on that, but I agree about the QTEs. Can't believe they're going that route

I think it makes more sense here than in most other games, since they are so blatantly going for the "cinematic" bit. No better way to get to that than through some automation. And honestly, until we get full body VR there is no other way around that. Hopefully it still feels involved.

Whompa

A cheesy-looking, linear third-person QTE fest from a B-tier dev. I cannot understand the excitement over this.

Trying way WAY too hard...I couldn't understand the excitement over Bastion though. Bought it for 2.50, played about an hour, was bored out of my mind. I guess we must come from different worlds.

It's hilarious how the prompts like exactly like in Heavy Rain and the dots like in Beyond. But I like this type of interface, so I don't really care that they somewhat lifted it. Game looks stunning otherwise.

QTE are kind shit, but this is very last of us in its approach to them

I thought we all loved last of us? you know.. cause it did everything just right.

I assume it will not be like shenmue or god of war and do them all the time, but be like last of us and do them now and again and just right.

This looks like the best next gen title announced so far. The graphics, the gameplay, just everything seems amazing. I can't wait to play this game. Pre-ordering this title was absolutely the right call. This is definitely the definitive Playstation 4 experience right here.

c0de

This looks like the best next gen title announced so far. The graphics, the gameplay, just everything seems amazing. I can't wait to play this game. Pre-ordering this title was absolutely the right call. This is definitely the definitive Playstation 4 experience right here.

The _gameplay_!? Is there another trailer hidden somewhere I don't know about?

Game looks amazing. The graphics are spectacular, even better than Killzone, and the atmosphere is spot on. Since the game is a third-person shooter, I wasn't expecting much change from a traditional TPS. Which by all means no problem for me, since the only TPS I played was the uncharted series, Gears series, Last of us, and a few others. So the game play is welcomed to me, and right now is pretty much a day one purchase. Can't wait to see more.

PnCIa

Graphics look awesome!
But the cinemascope aspect ratio does nothing other than adding black bars. Even the biggest cinema enthusiast in gaming, Kojima, does not use them. This should not be *the* unique and differentiating aspect in my opinion.
Make it an option.

Let the GIFs begin!

imu4pB3yVOMiL.gif

Welcome Next Gen.

You're finally here.

Ooccoo

People are overhyping another game, big surprise.

If all you care about are graphics then I don't know what to say. The setting is interesting, but gameplay looks very stale and YET ANOTHER COVER BASED SHOOTER. I thought we had enough of these. At least if there's a Van Helsing-like plot with monsters it *might* be interesting, but so far I'm not impressed about the gameplay, as little as we've seen so far.

Raptor

Graphics are pure insanity but I didn't saw enough gameplay to make me go "wow", I wanted lost of gore and badass enemy reactions, didn't got shit.

People are overhyping another game, big surprise.

If all you care about are graphics then I don't know what to say. The setting is interesting, but gameplay looks very stale and YET ANOTHER COVER BASED SHOOTER. I thought we had enough of these. At least if there's a Van Helsing-like plot with monsters it *might* be interesting, but so far I'm not impressed about the gameplay, as little as we've seen so far.

And you know it is a cover based shooter from a single shooting sequence?

This hand to hand combat section was longer. So with how your mind works, this could actually be a me lee combat crashing through roof simulation. Makes just as much sense.

KalBalboa

Banned
The Order 1886, DriveClub, and inFamous are all giving me the "new console" vibe that I've been waiting for. It's akin to the first time I saw Gears of War of Uncharted back in the day- this just looks unreal to me.

The Lamp

Game play itself looks boring. I'll wait for boss fights or other game play clips later when they're not just showing off an alleyway.

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
At work but seeing a lot of mixed reactions from gaf. Usual gaf extreme hyperbole or was the trailer underwhelming?
You know, I feel sorry for RaD. This footage right here shouldn't have been released in the first place. Same thing with Infamous footage last week, what the hell is Sony doing?

It's basically 2 minutes of Galahad blasting through a small corridor, shooting dudes and taking covers plus a QTE sequence. That's not how you show off a game. I can record 2 minutes of Joel shooting dudes in a corridor and it would just be as bad without knowing much about what the game actually is.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Linear third person story driven horror/action shooter with fucking mindblowing graphics and godly atmosphere. Day fucking 1.
wow.png
wow.png
wow.png

You know, I feel sorry for RaD. This footage right here shouldn't have been released in the first place. Same thing with Infamous footage last week, what the hell is Sony doing?

It's basically 2 minutes of Galahad blasting through a small corridor, shooting dudes and taking covers plus a QTE sequence. That's not how you show off a game. I can record 2 minutes of Joel shooting dudes in a corridor and it would just be as bad without knowing much about what the game actually is.

I absolutely agree, but some of us (well, me) are pleased enough to see the visual fidelity. Something is better than nothing for me. Now that I am confident they can deliver the visuals they were hyping, I can wait until E3.

It's like people don't learn or simply don't read about development. For example, Naughty Dog with Last of Us only started achieving the end product in the last 7 months or so.

I believe what RAD is trying to do with this game, is a game that blends many elements like cover, destruction, action, horror, story, etc and it's trying to carefully make the transition between these elements very seamless.

Probably not the kind of game that puts all of its efforts around a unique gameplay mechanic, and therefore it's understandable that at this point in time, they haven't yet glued it all together with the kind of polish they seek. They are more comfortable covering basics right now.

Either way you can't buy the game now, and it makes no sense to right off at this point when all you see are basics.

Im not going to spend my 60$ on a game that lasts 3 minutes and jumps from place to place.

It's even sillier for people to say they're pre-ordering based on what they've seen in that clip. The over-the-top enthusiasm is more ridiculous than the cynicism. If the game has some kind of brand new play mechanic that will blow our minds, why not show THAT off instead of the tedious Gears of War cover combat?

The game seems to have nice atmosphere and we know absolutely nothing else about it. So where's the justification for all the "OH MY GOD MY HYPE BONER IS HUGE!!!!!" comments?

Maybe RAD was wanting to showcase the fact that the CG E3 trailer was actually not CG at all, and that is what the game actually looks like as you play? Then they wanted to showcase a TEASE of how the game will play. They of course are not going to showcase everything. Here they decided to showcase the smooth transitions between cutscenes and gameplay. Then showcase the insane physics / animations throughout an entire short action sequence and also showcase a bit of how the melee combat system might work, with you having the ability to utilize the environment during an otherwise standard cutscene-esque QTE combat sequence. Every other game it is the same each time, it looks like here depending on the environment you will have MANY ways to branch out the QTE sequence and change the overall outcome of the combat sequence.

This is a TEASER. They show you just a glimpse of the shooting. Did we see the special abilities of the weapons? Nope. Did we see things like grenades? Nope. Did we see that awesome tesla inspired gun from the E3 trailer? Nope. All we saw was a standard weapon being fired ... just a tease. Did we see the openness of the London environment? Nope. Did we see details about the " monsters " in the game? Nope.

This was just a taste, to wet some mouths. E3 will be the huge gameplay splash reveal with live demo's and whatnot.

What we do know now though is E3 was not CG. The cloth physics, environmental physics, etc. are the real deal. And that alone to me blows my mind.

But it didn't wet mouths.

Not yours, but you are not everyone. I'm certainly blown away. Seeing the reactions from the first pages, I see many other people blown away. I'm just not so freakin closed minded to think what we saw was everything the game had to offer.

VanWinkle

I agree SO MUCH, except that actual gameplay wasn't even CLOSE to 2 minutes; it was like 10-20 seconds. This was not a good way to show the game off, and I do feel bad for RAD, because I give them the benefit of the doubt here with their pedigree.

Maybe RAD was wanting to showcase the fact that the CG E3 trailer was actually not CG at all, and that is what the game actually looks like as you play? Then they wanted to showcase a TEASE of how the game will play. They of course are not going to showcase everything. Here they decided to showcase the smooth transitions between cutscenes and gameplay. Then showcase the insane physics / animations throughout an entire short action sequence and also showcase a bit of how the melee combat system might work, with you having the ability to utilize the environment during an otherwise standard cutscene-esque QTE combat sequence. Every other game it is the same each time, it looks like here depending on the environment you will have MANY ways to branch out the QTE sequence and change the overall outcome of the combat sequence.

This is a TEASER. They show you just a glimpse of the shooting. Did we see the special abilities of the weapons? Nope. Did we see things like grenades? Nope. Did we see that awesome tesla inspired gun from the E3 trailer? Nope. All we saw was a standard weapon being fired ... just a tease. Did we see the openness of the London environment? Nope. Did we see details about the " monsters " in the game? Nope.

This was just a taste, to wet some mouths. E3 will be the huge gameplay splash reveal with live demo's and whatnot.

What we do know now though is E3 was not CG. The cloth physics, environmental physics, etc. are the real deal. And that alone to me blows my mind.

But it didn't wet mouths. It made a lot of people more disappointed. They should have just released a trailer (not the trailer they ended up releasing since that was more like the Uncharted PS4 teaser), and skipped the gameplay until they're ready to blow minds with a great reveal.

Top Bottom