• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order: 1886 - New Gameplay Footage Released Before Embargo

Mondy

Banned
Obviously it looks amazing visually, but there's also a lot there to be concerned about. Gameplay looks very scripted and linear. This could descend into a run of the mill TPS very quickly once the awe of the visuals and the setting wears off.

What in the holy fuck are you talking about? Who are you talking to?

Sorry, I must've been misquoting you. I was referring to all posts that are already writing this off as generic or similar after seeing that amount to 10 seconds of gameplay, just because it contains a few elements (that are present in pretty much every tps out there, and will be in the future). So far we don't know how it'll play out, but I think there's a lot of potential in this world that could make this exciting in ways we don't know yet. Either way, so far we can say the graphics are gorgeous and I expect the presentation and execution to be equally high. The world shows a lot of promise.

Rozart

They should be trying to win customers instead of assuming they will be there. This isn't like a Naughty Dog game where they could be cagey up until release with TLOU

Yeah, I can see where you're coming from actually. They haven't been revealing much and thus, there's not much to be discussion to be had about the game. It's a little hard to generate some buzz when we're given so little. Case in point, this game has totally gone under my radar for quite a long while (until now that is). Which is a shame since it looks so well done and the premise is genuinely intriguing. And while the journalists/insiders who have seen the game all sound suitably impressed and wowed by it, I do wish they'd give the gaming public itself more substantial content to gnaw on.

They'll probably be revealing majority of their their stuff during E3 and will built up the hype and momentum from there though.

I HATED Gears (I only played the first one). This cannot be stressed enough. HOWEVER, I LOVED Uncharted. Both games are pretty linear TPS games, but one resonated SO much more powerfully with me. Maybe it was the setting, writing, color palette, etc, but the Uncharted series has gone down as one of my favorites of all time.

So that said, how did you feel about Uncharted because you could argue it was not much more than a "duck and cover linear shooter"? I am thinking that the setting, the writing and story, and the creativity of The Order: 1886 will make for a much more engrossing time than Gears. Agree?

I enjoyed Uncharted more than Gears because of the characters and setting. It also offered more substance for me because even though it too was linear it felt less so than Gears. What I didn't like in Uncharted were the enemies and how simple they were. The shooting was the weakest part of it. It was still just a more fun game all around. The setting for The Order looks interesting but I think I'm just a little put off with the whole 'let's a cutscene here, let's put a wave of a few enemies while we go down this alley, then another cutscene, then another wave of enemies' approach. The addition of QTE is also a downer for me. Graphics to me can only carry a game so far.

King_Moc

Banned
Looks phenomenal graphically, I need to see a good chunk of gameplay before I'm convinced though. The hand to hand combat looked nice, but also looked about as interactive as Dragon's Lair.

DREYDUS

Banned
Based on the new gameplay?! Which gameplay?! Seriously, there was close to nothing showed...

Based on the daily motion gameplay I saw. it looks good enough to become a target on my radar.

Will it be a purchase? I dunno but it definately looked stunning enough for me to take a closer look now.

Thanks

I don't think thats at all indicative of the entire game and the guy in charge even says so if you had actually read the articles

This article did not have the intended effect on me, I think. If anything, it furthered confirmed that there was a huge focus on on lots of cinematic narrative/interactive storytelling instead of any strong gunplay component or challenging, interesting game systems to learn and master.

Zia

A cheesy-looking, linear third-person QTE fest from a B-tier dev. I cannot understand the excitement over this.

Single player, linear shooters are not system sellers for consoles. Can you name any?

The footage looked pretty good. Interested to see more gameplay though as this is looking like a nice weekend rental all the way.

You must not be familiar with Naughty Dog. Those games are selling based on their single player.

Not from us. Trailer only, as soon as we get it...

Damnit! Why did they even give it to TGN (who?) and not to you guys? These guys have no clue. It is ridiculous that they are advertising these next gen consoles with crap quality footage. Anybody seeing that...what is the incentive to upgrade really?

Maybe this game will turn out to be brilliant, but the new mechanics they've talked about doing just sound stupid. I don't think there needs to be a reinvention of cutscenes and QTEs to make them slightly more interactive but not in a meaningful way.

A cheesy-looking, linear third-person QTE fest from a B-tier dev. I cannot understand the excitement over this.

HurrjOo.gif

Daxter, God of War: CoO and God of War: GoS are all great games (GoS is second best God of War imo),

makes sense that they would keep the major stuff on hold (like creatures and more exciting places)

but did my greedy self want just a small snippet?
OF COURSE NOT I WANT MORE (being unreasonable)

Also lol at those who think the whole game is running through the alleyways fighting rebels

Xater

But that leaves them with no games for Q4 (so far.) They're gonna want to release a major title in October/November especially if MS is dropping Halo 2 Anniversary around that time.

If this comes in Q4 it's their big title. I don't see the issue. There are 3rd party games as well to play.

Trickster

But I wouldn't consider their games linear shooters either.

Really? Uncharted series is pretty much a linear shooter with some very simple platforming segments here and there.

TLoU, while not really a shooter, is still a 12 hour, cinematic game with cover based gameplay and linear levels.

Gbraga

Maybe this game will turn out to be brilliant, but the new mechanics they've talked about doing just sound stupid. I don't think there needs to be a reinvention of cutscenes and QTEs to make them slightly more interactive but not in a meaningful way.

I just hope you don't lose the ability to skip cutscenes when you're replaying the game because you have to play with weapons and press buttons.

This article did not have the intended effect on me, I think. If anything, it furthered confirmed that there was a huge focus on on lots of cinematic narrative/interactive storytelling instead of any strong gunplay component or challenging, interesting game systems to learn and master.

You know its possible to have both :)

Anyway it was pretty clear from the get go this was going to be a cinematic game a la The Last of Us. Right now gameplay does look like your usual tps but we've seen so little that I can't conclude much.

I'm more intrigued with the horror vibes and the physics of the materials they've talked about before and how that effects gameplay. The former giving me RE4 vibes.

They really should of showed more gameplay.

Gammacide

I enjoyed Uncharted more than Gears because of the characters and setting. It also offered more substance for me because even though it too was linear it felt less so than Gears. What I didn't like in Uncharted were the enemies and how simple they were. The shooting was the weakest part of it. It was still just a more fun game all around. The setting for The Order looks interesting but I think I'm just a little put off with the whole 'let's a cutscene here, let's put a wave of a few enemies while we go down this alley, then another cutscene, then another wave of enemies' approach. The addition of QTE is also a downer for me. Graphics to me can only carry a game so far.
Ah, I hear you. Depending on how much of the rest of the game is like this (very short preview) then yeah, I would be worried if I were you. :) I have heard that there is a good deal of exploration/additional gameplay to be had when not running through combat scenarios, but it is obviously not as free as an open world shooter. My hopes are up mostly because of the setting and graphics and as long as the gameplay is solid I will be more than fine.

It sounds like what has happened to you with Uncharted is what happened to me with Devil May Cry. I just cannot be bothered to mash buttons seeming ad infinitum just to kill one grunt enemy (albeit in a flashy, pretty way). 10 million slashes and finally that wave is killed and I can progress the story. I am sick to death of that style gameplay. Ruined the new Ninja Gaidens for me. Never again. :( God of War: Ascension nearly put me off too sadly. Maybe a game will come along that is interesting enough to get me back into that genre but it's a tall tall order nowadays.

Watched a little bit of it, and I thought it looked fantastic. I can't stand that guy's voice, though. Why couldn't he just show the footage without him having to speak over it? Ugh.

manzo

Footage just dulled my excitement for this game.

Same here. The initial trailer looked nice, but as I feared, it's the same waist-high-covers shooter that Gears was. Also press O to awesome.

Currently it looks like a buy when it hits 20€ in Zavvi Mega Monday... unless something else sparks my interest in it other than great visuals.

Trickster

People seem to have forgotten about how amazing TLOUncharted was already.

Or maybe, the people having orgasms at the visuals, are the people that liked those games as well. While the the people being dissapointed at the gameplay, are the same people who aren't huge fans of TLoUncharted?

VanWinkle

Man, I was really hoping we would be getting more footage, and that the trailer would be more substantial in the visuals area. Instead it was almost like the Uncharted teaser trailer!

Xenon

Well, that's because we can see the visuals ... (?)

What an odd thing to say.

The dude he was replying to was talking about gameplay which we haven't properly seen. Most of the praise the game is getting (while hyperbolic at times) has been about visuals which have been exposed considerably with this leaked trailer and screen shots.

That is kind of my point there's so much hype over this game where we have seen very little game play. hyperbole is a perfect descriptionfor the hype surrounding this game considering how much we know about the actual game itself.

Or maybe, the people having orgasms at the visuals, are the people that liked those games as well. While the the people being dissapointed at the gameplay, are the same people who aren't huge fans of TLoUncharted?

Maaaaybe, just maaaaaaybe, the people who are huge fans of TLOU and Uncharted are also fans of the gameplay?? Just maybe. I know that's hard to believe but don't let my logic get in the way of your ignorance.

Visceir

Narrow hallways and dark small rooms. Everything I've seen of the game thus far is really underwhelming.

No proper gameplay demo? I have a feeling this will be delayed or rushed out.

BadWolf

The visuals really are crazy impressive.

If this is a year one title for the new hardware then holy moly, we will be in for one heck of a ride for the next few years.

Ah, I hear you. Depending on how much of the rest of the game is like this (very short preview) then yeah, I would be worried if I were you. :) I have heard that there is a good deal of exploration/additional gameplay to be had when not running through combat scenarios, but it is obviously not as free as an open world shooter. My hopes are up mostly because of the setting and graphics and as long as the gameplay is solid I will be more than fine.

It sounds like what has happened to you with Uncharted is what happened to me with Devil May Cry. I just cannot be bothered to mash buttons seeming ad infinitum just to kill one grunt enemy (albeit in a flashy, pretty way). 10 million slashes and finally that wave is killed and I can progress the story. I am sick to death of that style gameplay. Ruined the new Ninja Gaidens for me. Never again. :( God of War: Ascension nearly put me off too sadly. Maybe a game will come along that is interesting enough to get me back into that genre but it's a tall tall order nowadays.

Maybe I'm getting old and burnt out, lol. While this is a totally unfair comparison I just cannot stand games like Call of Duty anymore that are simply holding your hand leading you on a set path with mindless enemies. It's what I feared would happen with Ryse too where the gameplay mechanics are very simple and the depth is shallow, all because graphics are the main focus. (I'm only basing this off of what I had seen from videos). The saving grace for the Call of Duty games are it's online play where that stuff doesn't really matter as much.

iceatcs

Best thing because they didn't making medieval open world with broken combat.

And it has only ~100 people working. Not like we need 300 to 500, example Microsoft usually do that.

DrZeus

Classic case of reveal and initial concept of game far exceeding actually gameplay. At least that is how it looks. Cinematic, linear experiences are fine, but do we really need this cool concept wasted on this? Uncharted 4 on the way in 2015 has me really questioning why they would go this route with this game. I mean it looks great but corridors and waist high walls with QTEs under the guise of branching melee aren't doing it for me. No co-op or competitive MP either? The gameplay and story elements would have to be superb and I am not getting that vibe. I hope I'm wrong.

Trickster

Maaaaybe, just maaaaaaybe, the people who are huge fans of TLOU and Uncharted are also fans of the gameplay?? Just maybe. I know that's hard to believe but don't let my logic get in the way of your ignorance.

But, there's no one going OMG LOOK AT DAT GAMEPLAY, HOLY SHIT THAT QTE LOOKS AMAZING. So while fans of those games obviously like that type of gameplay, that is not what they are expressing their excitement over being present in this game. Currently there's essentially 2 groups of people with regards to this game. Those who express excitement over the visuals. And those who express dissapointment over the gameplay.

Dragon

Banned

That's really rather insulting towards RAD. They did great things on the PSP. I wonder what you would have said about Supergiant Games before Bastion.

BadWolf

That's really rather insulting towards RAD. They did great things on the PSP. I wonder what you would have said about Supergiant Games before Bastion.

If a company that made Ghost of Sparta is B-Tier then I would like to request more B-Tier devs.

Top Bottom