• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order: 1886 - New Gameplay Footage Released Before Embargo

Today was a fairly sub-standard showing for a game that otherwise looks pretty astonishing. I really liked the story trailer, but at the same time it was too vague and veiled in secrecy, whereas the gameplay footage wasn't nearly as substantial as it should've been. There should have been a good 5-6 minutes of uninterrupted gameplay debuted today, just to give an encouraging idea of what to expect.

At least it's soaked in atmosphere. Immersive games are the best games.

People are overhyping another game, big surprise.

If all you care about are graphics then I don't know what to say. The setting is interesting, but gameplay looks very stale and YET ANOTHER COVER BASED SHOOTER. I thought we had enough of these. At least if there's a Van Helsing-like plot with monsters it *might* be interesting, but so far I'm not impressed about the gameplay, as little as we've seen so far.

I think cover based shooters are wicked awesome. Gears and Uncharted 2 rocked, more of that! This just happens to also look phenomenal so it's all gravy all around. Stale my ass.

But it didn't wet mouths. It made a lot of people more disappointed. They should have just released a trailer (not the trailer they ended up releasing since that was more like the Uncharted PS4 teaser), and skipped the gameplay until they're ready to blow minds with a great reveal.

It made the jaded people around here disappointed. Which is odd, since it basically confirmed what had already been said about the game. Don't get me wrong, I think they could have probably released something a lot more enticing. But still, it has to be really unrewarding to be a developer these days. Well, until you look at the reactions from real gamers.

Today was a fairly sub-standard showing for a game that otherwise looks pretty astonishing. I really liked the story trailer, but at the same time it was too vague and veiled in secrecy, whereas the gameplay footage wasn't nearly as substantial as it should've been. There should have been a good 5-6 minutes of uninterrupted gameplay debuted today, just to give an encouraging idea of what to expect.

At least it's soaked in atmosphere. Immersive games are the best games.
There probably wasn't because:

IGN said:
The portion of the adventure I saw ran relatively poorly, with sudden, sharp transitions between scenes, audio issues, and a lagging framerate. Ready at Dawn’s CEO and Founder Ru Weerasuriya was quick to point out that this sliver of the game wasn’t QA tested and optimized at all, and that there might be problems. But I was left wondering how this could be the best 10 minutes of the game the studio had to show, especially when he reiterated that The Order would indeed launch in 2014.

If they don't have something to show to the press that runs well, there is no chance we will ever see it. Probably a good thing when I look at this thread alone...

Hoje0308

Banned
There probably wasn't because:

If they don't have something to show to the press that runs well, there is no chance we will ever see it. Probably a good thing when I look at this thread alone...

Ha! You mean the game that's still 6-10 months from release wasn't optimized? Because that totally never happens with early builds.

Just wow.

S¡mon

Banned
A few people here say Sony did not market this properly. That they should have released more gameplay footage... a longer trailer... etc.

The thing is: Sony did very well here. I mean, after all, they've got you talking about The Order: 1886.

nampad

Game looks awesome and it will scratch my cinematic 3rd person shooter ('Uncharted') itch. Unfortunately, the gameplay demo was rather short. At least we now know that the graphics are really that good.

Looking back, it seems crazy nobody wanted to sign RaD when they wanted to stop doing PSP games for the first time. Would be interesting to know how much Santa Monica supports them.

Handlebar Stache: The Game!

I am so ready for this one. It's truly showing what system exclusive can do, much like the stunner which was Killzone.

Courage

If this comes in Q4 it's their big title. I don't see the issue. There are 3rd party games as well to play.

I'm not complaining bruh, I'm just saying if this drops during the third quarter there must be something else in store for the fourth one.

Ha! You mean the game that's still 6-10 months from release wasn't optimized? Because that totally never happens with early builds.

Just wow.
I mean this specific footage. If it runs like ass it makes sense not to show it to the public. That's why we got a b-roll instead. I have complete faith in RAD to deliver a polished game, but other devs managed to show more 1.5 years before release. It's fine with me, but if they weren't ready they should have just waited for E3 and just released the trailer today.

Hoje0308

Banned
I mean this specific footage. If it runs like ass it makes sense not to show it to the public. That's why we got a b-roll instead. I have complete faith in RAD to deliver a polished game, but other devs managed to show more 1.5 years before release. It's fine with me, but if they weren't ready they should have just waited for E3 and just released the trailer today.

I've had a bad habit of jumping to conclusions the last couple days. I blame the Sudafed and its effect on my attention span. Sorry about that.

Knoxcore

Well, I'm left wanting. I'm excited the PS4 has a new exclusive on the horizon but I just can't get excited for a game I've seen so little of. And what I have seen seems so generic. I hope my fears are alleviated, but I have this suspicion that there is a mindset at Sony, that graphical fidelity is more important than innovative gameplay. If that's the case, Sony will find themselves in trouble in the coming years.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I think the game looks fantastic visually but gameplay wise there was literally NOTHING going on. Shooting looked especially bad, 1 hit kills with enemies that just ragdoll over. Melee was a glorified QTE.

It blows my mind that you would use this kind of footage as your gameplay reveal, I was expecting cool monsters and all that deformable material stuff they were talking about. I was hoping to see a boss fight or something interesting...

Making CG visuals is nice but it's not THAT exciting at the end of the day.
You can't really blame people for being down on the gameplay when the little that we see is the last gen stereotype to a T. A cramped linear corridor with guys shooting in cover and then topping it off with a QTE.
These.

Another asinine comment with no value: not interested, at all.
Because "omg this looks so awesome!!!1" is totally worthwhile and valuable, right? Or maybe it's just another, different opinion, and a valid one at that?

so nextgen
much cinematic

but who cares about gameplay its so pretty omgggggg post lots of gifs
Hahaha.

I don't think thats at all indicative of the entire game and the guy in charge even says so if you had actually read the articles
Maybe. Hell, you could surely show a gameplay clip of The Last of Us that made it look like a generic cover-based TPS too. But at the end of the day, this footage is what they called "gameplay footage", i.e. something to (supposedly) highlight the gameplay, and that's the sequence of gameplay they picked to showcase it, so it's fair game to criticize the gameplay shown in this footage.

Now someone said the final game will have much more than that, including interesting physics-based puzzles and airship sections, and that's certainly worth considering. I'm not dismissing the game outright, but I can certainly understand why some people are not that hyped and are calling for tempering of expectations. Lots of early-gen games looked very good and ended up being vapid shells of games (Lair, Ryse, etc.). I sincerely hope that it won't be the case with The Order, but this gameplay footage is very underwhelming so far.

HurrjOo.gif

Daxter, God of War: CoO and God of War: GoS are all great games (GoS is second best God of War imo),
If you hate God of War, that's not really a compelling argument, though. ;)

Can you share your thoughts on your copy of The Order 1886?

kthanks
That's not really fair. S/he posted impressions based on the footage shown, just like everyone else in this thread. Yet you didn't make this snarky comment on those who heaped glowing praise.

With SSM Stig's IP being canned, is this the major new IP that everyone has their bets on? I hope this ends up on a successful note for Sony. They need more new IP's.

Squalor

Goddamn, Sony is losing people left and right, which sucks considering the success the PlayStation 4 is having so far.

Squalor

So I say it sucks talented people are leaving the company, and you two somehow interpret that as my forecasting doom for Sony?

Yeah, that makes perfect sense . . .

andycapps

So I say it sucks talented people are leaving the company, and you two somehow interpret that as my forecasting doom for Sony?

Ready at Dawn isn't Sony, they're a third party.. And they haven't had anyone leave, that we know of.

Squalor

Ready at Dawn isn't Sony, they're a third party.. And they haven't had anyone leave, that we know of.
Considering Ready at Dawn has been working exclusively for Sony for so long now, it's a loss for Sony. Plus, there is the lead designer for Second Son who has left Sucker Punch. Tretton left.

Talented people are leaving. It's true. That's all I said.

Hellshy.

It looks gorgeous! Really outstanding for a studio that mostly made portable games.

But yeah and you guys will quote me.
After playing Ryse (which showed me what next gen could do) I am not as wowed. Both even look about the same to me, lighting, texturing / character models etc

Still hate the 21:9.

You knew people would quote you b/c you are wrong 😁

Considering Ready at Dawn has been working exclusively for Sony for so long now, it's a loss for Sony. Plus, there is the lead designer for Second Son who has left Sucker Punch. Tretton left.

What!? LOL! So the rest of the 1000+ people who work at Sony are talentless and can't do nothing to save their life? Stop with the hyperbole. A director, a president and lead designer are hardly the only talent at Sony. And I'm happier that we can find NEW talent that can shine as well. This industry sometimes gives no one but veterans, who's already have track records of being good, too much credit but doesn't make room for new young inspiring people with fresh and new ideas trying to build their resume, a chance.

Goddamn, Sony is losing people left and right, which sucks considering the success the PlayStation 4 is having so far.

Wait; to what are you referring? This doesn't appear to relate to any other comment here that I can see.

Squalor

Wait; to what are you referring? This doesn't appear to relate to any other comment here that I can see.
People in here were referencing the layoffs (roughly fifty people) at Sony Santa Monica and Stig Asmussen's departure from the company because of Ready at Dawn and SSM's close working relationship.

I just bundled the other recent departures into a post about how talented people are leaving.

andycapps

Your complaints are not relevant to this thread. Ready at Dawn hasn't had anyone leave. They're a large third party studio that is working on an exclusive Sony title. If you want to bitch about Sony losing people, this one is probably more appropriate.

Ricky_R

People in here were referencing the layoffs (roughly fifty people) at Sony Santa Monica and Stig Asmussen's departure from the company because of Ready at Dawn and SSM's close working relationship.

I just bundled the other recent departures into a post about how talented people are leaving.

This thread was bumped with an old trailer. You're comment came out of left field with no relation to anything that was posted today.

Kinda "confusing".

K' Dash

the fuck is happening here?

first a junior bumps a necro thread with an old trailer and the next moment a couple of posters start talking about people leaving Sony, completely unrelated to any other comment, the fuck?

Squalor

Your complaints are not relevant to this thread. Ready at Dawn hasn't had anyone leave. They're a large third party studio that is working on an exclusive Sony title. If you want to bitch about Sony losing people, this one is probably more appropriate.

This thread was bumped with an old trailer. You're comment came out of left field with no relation to anything that was posted today.

Kinda "confusing".
I thought your "heartbreaking bump" was about the SSM news.

Not to mention Sweetvar26's post about SSM.

So, no, it wasn't really out of nowhere at all.

You very specifically suggest/insinuate that RaD are breaking away from Sony by saying:

Considering Ready at Dawn has been working exclusively for Sony for so long now, it's a loss for Sony.

What is the context behind this? You've said this out of nowhere when none of the Sony departures appear to be linked to RaD at all. It's such a random and confusing comment.

fallingdove

What does this have to do with Ready at Dawn or The Order? FUD was all you said, irrelevance was all you said.

andycapps

I thought your "heartbreaking bump" was about the SSM news.

Not to mention Sweetvar26's post about SSM.

So, no, it wasn't really out of nowhere at all.

I'm assuming he was let down as were most that a junior bumped a thread for an old trailer. Most of us were hoping that if someone that was bumped after sitting for a month that it was because of something new. Your comment was still pretty out of nowhere, considering you posted this in a thread that isn't about Sony. Feels to me like you got confused about what thread you were posting in, but whatever man.

Top Bottom