• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order: 1886 - New Gameplay Footage Released Before Embargo

Visually nothing really touches it but to be honest the gameplay reminds me of Gears of War and I'm not the biggest fan of that franchise. I'm hoping this is more than a duck and cover linear shooter with QTE thrown in.

LIc3c0e.jpg

OMG XD

Gannd

Banned
I don't think anyone is asking to see the whole game played through, but gives us a 30 second segment maybe. Anything, lol.

E3 can have the grand 5 minute gameplay presentation.

Gameplay is becoming less and less important as content tourism takes over the industry. I have a feeling there are going to be a lot of QTE's because they don't want any "game" to get in the way of the movie they are trying to make.

I'm so out of the mainstream of what gaming is now and days. I guess it's because I'm 30 and I wonder if this is why people my age, by and large, quit playing video games.

While playing the last of us, during the touched up cutscenes I was telling my brothers how PS4 games will most probably play like those cutscenes, I guess I was wrong.

This game looks better than those cutscenes!

Man Cant wait to see what PS4 brings to the table this gen!

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Outside of the Witcher 3, this looks looks damn amazing. The only thing that could make it better is more polish but that's exactly what it's getting since the game isn't due for a bit.

Need to see more game play but it looks interesting.

Well that IGN preview has left me a little concerned this quote in particular
"The brief 10-minute hands-off demo I witnessed confirmed some of my fears. The portion of the adventure I saw ran relatively poorly, with sudden, sharp transitions between scenes, audio issues, and a lagging framerate...But I was left wondering how this could be the best 10 minutes of the game the studio had to show, especially when he reiterated that The Order would indeed launch in 2014."
Kind of confirms what a lot of us here have felt about the lack of gameplay videos, it just seems like this game is far from ready to be released. I've said it before, this game looks incredible, I would rather this game get delayed until next year than have it released prematurely though.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Game looks great but I'm really surprised they aren't showing off destruction and the weapons yet. I can understand wanting to wait on the monsters but the first two things are what will separate this game from other third person shooters.

But I was left wondering how this could be the best 10 minutes of the game the studio had to show, especially when he reiterated that The Order would indeed launch in 2014.
Kind of confirms what a lot of us here have felt about the lack of gameplay videos, it just seems like this game is far from ready to be released. I've said it before, this game looks incredible, I would rather this game get delayed until next year than have it released prematurely though.

It's a fair point.

I think they said 12 minutes of footage was shown, and almost 8 of it was cut scene.

ron_bato

I enjoyed the last bit of the official trailer with the half-breed/monster or whatever it's called. That was really cool.

I do want more damn it! I'm disappointed because I thought there would be some more gameplay other than what was leaked earlier. But I'm happy nonetheless.

"The brief 10-minute hands-off demo I witnessed confirmed some of my fears. The portion of the adventure I saw ran relatively poorly, with sudden, sharp transitions between scenes, audio issues, and a lagging framerate...But I was left wondering how this could be the best 10 minutes of the game the studio had to show, especially when he reiterated that The Order would indeed launch in 2014."
It doesn't says anything about its release, jut that they continue to be far far too cagey about this game. They should be trying to win customers instead of assuming they will be there. This isn't like a Naughty Dog game where they could be cagey up until release with TLOU

Hoje0308

Banned
I fear that's because there is not much to show, which makes me think this won't be released this year or worse, it will be this gen HAZE.

Yes, because all the evidence points to that scenario rather than it simply being a case of Sony wanting to slowly build hype for a game that most likely won't release until Q3 at the earliest.

Edit: Annnd the post just above me seems to corroborate your concern. Foot in mouth.

I think our discussion will have to end here then, because I feel the last of us actually brought a lot of new fresh ideas to the third person shooter genre.

I think The last of us is the game of the PS360 Generation, its the pinnacle of game developing for that gen. A great game, with some new fresh ideas tossed in.

It´s my favourite game of all times.

kinggroin

Banned
Gameplay is becoming less and less important as content tourism takes over the industry. I have a feeling there are going to be a lot of QTE's because they don't want any "game" to get in the way of the movie they are trying to make.

I'm so out of the mainstream of what gaming is now and days. I guess it's because I'm 30 and I wonder if this is why people my age, by and large, quit playing video games.

You're about my age (I'm 33), so I understand the frustration, but I think its wise to keep fingers crossed and just wait till we get a full demonstration.

I mean, imagine if they deliver with compelling wolf hunting action with a mix of smart puzzle solving? Having this atmosphere and visual fidelity would just make it that much sweeter.

Keep hope alive doggie.

MilkBeard

Those graphics really do look amazing. Holy cow. The pictures just do not do it justice.

however, I'm still nervous about the gameplay. Even from what I'm hearing, I think it will be interesting, even if it's a little bit more linear than what I'd like. As long as it's fun, I'm in. The game certainly has the film style down, and the graphics are just incredible.

It doesn't says anything about its release, jut that they continue to be far far too cagey about this game. They should be trying to win customers instead of assuming they will be there. This isn't like a Naughty Dog game where they could be cagey up until release with TLOU

The way I interpreted what he said was that based off the poor performance of the 10 minute demo, which he is assuming is the best 10 minutes they had to show off to the press, he is having a hard time seeing how this game would be ready by the 2014 release date. Which makes sense to me.
However, wasn't Dead Rising 3 basically unplayable at E3 last year? I think that game turned out well, so I'm not giving up hope here based off a few early demo impressions.

Gammacide

Visually nothing really touches it but to be honest the gameplay reminds me of Gears of War and I'm not the biggest fan of that franchise. I'm hoping this is more than a duck and cover linear shooter with QTE thrown in.
I HATED Gears (I only played the first one). This cannot be stressed enough. HOWEVER, I LOVED Uncharted. Both games are pretty linear TPS games, but one resonated SO much more powerfully with me. Maybe it was the setting, writing, color palette, etc, but the Uncharted series has gone down as one of my favorites of all time.

So that said, how did you feel about Uncharted because you could argue it was not much more than a "duck and cover linear shooter"? I am thinking that the setting, the writing and story, and the creativity of The Order: 1886 will make for a much more engrossing time than Gears. Agree?

velociraptor

I HATED Gears (I only played the first one). This cannot be stressed enough. HOWEVER, I LOVED Uncharted. Both games are pretty linear TPS games, but one resonated SO much more powerfully with me. Maybe it was the setting, writing, color palette, etc, but the Uncharted series has gone down as one of my favorites of all time.

So that said, how did you feel about Uncharted because you could argue it was not much more than a "duck and cover linear shooter"? I am thinking that the setting, the writing and story, and the creativity of The Order: 1886 will make for a much more engrossing time than Gears. Agree?
It's the story, characters, voice acting, and sense of adventure in the Uncharted games that set it apart from Gears Of War.

slash3584

Yes, because all the evidence points to that scenario rather than it simply being a case of Sony wanting to slowly build hype for a game that most likely won't release until Q3 at the earliest.

I don't mean that it's going to be bad or dissapointing, just that I think it will probably be another third person shooter with just a different scenario and pretty graphics.

so nextgen
much cinematic

but who cares about gameplay its so pretty omgggggg post lots of gifs

I don't think that ratio will exist in the final game, I just think it speaks more to how unfinished the game still is. I think they would have loved to show off a 2 minute cutscene and 8 minutes of gameplay, I just don't think they have 8 minutes of gameplay that they feel comfortable showing off to the press at this point.

so nextgen
much cinematic

but who cares about gameplay its so pretty omgggggg post lots of gifs

I don't think thats at all indicative of the entire game and the guy in charge even says so if you had actually read the articles

Weerasuriya suggests that the balance in the final game will be weighted much further towards more tangible gameplay, but nevertheless it's a mix he believes is integral to the experience. "If you really think about it, it took you from a cinematic to an interactive cinematic to navigation to talk and walk, which are the moments where you navigate conversing back and forth, to gunplay to branching melee and back into cinematic," he says. "In that short moment, we're able to go on this ride while keeping the flow together. The tricky thing is you can do that and completely fail - where people don't understand what's going on. It's not 'I'm playing for 15 minutes, and I'm going to put down the controller and watch something for five minutes.' It's really about understanding that your pace is going to be built and slowed down by all these different things together."

kiguel182

Visuals look great, almost cg like quality. Lightning is outstanding but the texture work on the environments didn't look particularly good. Hopefully it will improve until release.

But, apart from the visual side, I didn't like that gameplay bit. The whole "cinematic" feel didn't convince me and the game kept switching from gameplay to cutscene. It was very distracting and not particularly interesting.

Of course the final version might not be like that at all but, so far, I'm not very interested.

Dead Man

I don't think thats at all indicative of the entire game and the guy in charge even says so if you had actually read the articles

That bit to me sounded worryingly like really long interactive but non skippable cutscenes. Well, not cutscenes technically, exposition stages I guess.

Cool, I was afraid that other trailer was all we were getting and got pissed. Still not enough actual gameplay in this one but it sure is beautiful.

Top Bottom