• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order 1886: Official spoiler thread for all black bars

Lingitiz

Speaking of review embargoes, why is there an embargo until the day before release for an incredibly short offline single-player game?

Sony usually telegraphs their expectations for review scores pretty blatantly with their embargos. TLOU and Uncharted had their reviews hit up to a week prior to release because they were really confident in them. Beyond, Infamous, Driveclub, and now The Order have all been day before release date embargos. Whether that's because their projections in mock review panels were not especially high is up to interpretation.

Ishan

Sony usually telegraphs their expectations for review scores pretty blatantly with their embargos. TLOU and Uncharted had their reviews hit up to a week prior to release because they were really confident in them. Beyond, Infamous, Driveclub, and now The Order have all been day before release date embargos. Whether that's because their projections in mock review panels were not especially high is up to interpretation.

or nd vs rest ...

HMD

Speaking about the lycan fights, I just found this on reddit:

Can anyone state to what degree this is true? Just a few animations or the whole sequence is repeated?

I wouldn't say they "reused it" it was just a fun mechanic that you only see twice in the game, it had its own controls and stuff, so I was kinda expecting to see it more than once, and it's not strictly a QTE, it's similar to the MGS4 last boss fight.

KC Denton

Just to alleviate a concern I have regarding the story, is the reason
Gallahad is imprisoned and tortured in the beginning an event that happens in this games story and is not an unresolved plot thread by the end of the game?

HMD

Just to alleviate a concern I have regarding the story, is the reason
Gallahad is imprisoned and tortured in the beginning an event that happens in this games story and is not an unresolved plot thread by the end of the game?

The whole game is a flashback leading up to that point.

KC Denton

The whole game is a flashback leading up to that point.

Uh, wow that kind of sucks... I thought that kind of scene would be a "in medias res" thing and I was looking at the halfway point of the story. I'm foreseeing a ton of disappointed players come Friday.

Ishan

Uh, wow that kind of sucks... I thought that kind of scene would be a "in medias res" thing and I was looking at the halfway point of the story. I'm foreseeing a ton of disappointed players come Friday.

its not the complete end, but well beyond half way and closer to the end.

To anyone else who has watched the playthroughs on YT or played an early copy of the game themselves - does anyone feel like the hubbub surrounding this game and the whole "length = value" debacle are a little similar to the situation last year with The Interview? Yes, important questions were raised about freedom of speech and cybersecurity, but ultimately The Interview was just a dumb comedy and by itself didn't really warrant all of the attention.

After watching the playthrough of The Order on YT, again I do feel like important questions are being raised about the value of shorter games, but ultimately I don't think it matters how short The Order is because it's just not that good. They put all their eggs in the story and graphics baskets and, while yes the graphics do look nice, I thought the story was pretty bad tbh. It kept flipping between cliche and just straight up boring. Nowhere near the quality of a Last of Us or Bioshock Infinite, or in terms of shorter games, even as good as a Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons, Thomas Was Alone, or To The Moon.

Idk I just read a post on Kotaku ending with "all anyone can do is sit back and watch as we wait to see whether this game will be worth all the attention," and it just reminded me of the whole Interview thing.

Crud

Banned
This game will sell ok, but there should not be a sequel based off what we have seen so far. They need to get away from this game ASAP!

Betty

Banned
I wouldn't say they "reused it" it was just a fun mechanic that you only see twice in the game, it had its own controls and stuff, so I was kinda expecting to see it more than once, and it's not strictly a QTE, it's similar to the MGS4 last boss fight.

Semi big spoiler for The Order

It's really not though, you could move around as you pleased in the MGS4 final boss, you could throw different punches and choose to use QTE's.

And just in terms of sheer spectacle there isn't a comparison, MGS4's feels like a proper sendoff and a triumphant climax,
The Order's in anything but.

It was also a unique fight and not a rehash of an earlier one like in The Order

Crud

Banned
Semi big spoiler for The Order

It's really not though, you could move around as you pleased in the MGS4 final boss, you could throw different punches and choose to use QTE's.

And just in terms of sheer spectacle there isn't a comparison, MGS4's feels like a proper sendoff and a triumphant climax,
The Order's in anything but.

It was also a unique fight and not a rehash of an earlier one like in The Order

It looked boring and nothing unique came about from the footage I've seen. God awful for the last fight to be like that.

Betty

Banned
It looked boring and nothing unique came about from the footage I've seen. God awful for the last fight to be like that.

If you mean The Order's I'd agree, so many better way's they could've handled that, the location was wrong, there was no buildup, it didn't feel like an end boss at all.

If you mean MGS4 though, lol, you're way off. Duelling at sunset atop a super tall structure on the open water was amazing. Even more amazing was how the past themes from MGS1-4 would play as the lifebars change over head and the poses and mannerisms of Snake and Ocelot changed to reflect the Snake and Ocelot from each game.

MrxDemix

Banned
Did anyone else stare at the TV when the game ended? I honestly didn't think that would be the end of the game. I felt like there was at least 45 minutes left.

Crud

Banned
If you mean The Order's I'd agree, so many better way's they could've handled that, the location was wrong, there was no buildup, it didn't feel like an end boss at all.

Yes I mean the order. When I saw that last battle all I could think was if the game gets 4-7 scores I will not be surprised.

Betty

Banned
Yes I mean the order. When I saw that last battle all I could think was if the game gets 4-7 scores I will not be surprised.

Someone else mentioned it but the fact that the animations in both boss fights are the same and that they are almost clones of each other makes it seem as if RAD were pushed for time or had to rush the ending.

The first third of this game feels really great and has a good amount of variety, but the last third felt like a mad dash to close the game before a proper, worthy conclusion could be created.

nib95

Banned
It sounds like The Order makes the cardinal sin of ending on a bad note. Ready at Dawn should know that this is a major no no for any good movie, game, book or even meal. People remember the end, it sticks with them, lingering on in the mind. So finishing on a high note is important, lest people's overall opinion and impression is diminished, and they are less likely to remember the quality of the rest of the ride.

It sounds like The Order makes the cardinal sin of ending on a bad note. Ready at Dawn should know that this is a major no no for any good movie, game, book or even meal. People remember the end, it sticks with them, lingering on in the mind. So finishing on a high note is important, lest people's overall opinion and impression is diminished, and they are less likely to remember the quality of the rest of the ride.

You mean the overall experience and gameplay?

Because if youre referring to story, i think its very possible for a game to end with a sad ending and still be successful.

Uncharted 2 has a pretty lackluster final 2 chapters, but that in no way stopped people showering it with praise, to this day. In fact, I'd say most games end on a low note, or at the very least peak long before the credits roll. If someone truly feels like the end of The Order diminishes the entire ride, that says more about the ride than the ending.

Betty

Banned

Because if youre referring to story, i think its very possible for a game to end with a sad ending and still be successful.

I don't think the poster meant bad note to mean sad ending, lots of games have bittersweet or straight up unhappy endings and they're still good endings.

The Order's just doesn't feel like an actual ending, another player recently said he expected at least 45 more minutes to go by the time the credits played. It just lacks that momentous climax that it really could've done with.

MrxDemix

Banned

Trying to avoid spoilers..........

It's not really that. It just feels incomplete.

nib95

Banned

Both of those with respect to the final boss and the way the story ends. A few people now have said that it leaves too much unanswered and feels slightly unfinished, which is a shame because it's gotten a lot of positive sentiment elsewhere. Presumably the end is the way it is because they either ran out of time, or wanted to leave on a note for the sequel to pick up on.

Both of those with respect to the final boss and the way the story ends. A few people now have said that it leaves too much unanswered and feels slightly unfinished, which is a shame because it's gotten a lot of positive sentiment elsewhere. Presumably the end is the way it is because they either ran out of time, or wanted to leave on a note for the sequel to pick up on.

It doesn't help that the final boss fight looks to be a copy from the earlier Lycan fight, and it's...you don't feel satisfaction killing the boss. The QTEs hurt it alot.

nib95

Banned
Don't ask what you don't want to know.

4/10.

Your impressions definitely fall in the negative camp. Of the over a dozen or so impressions I've read, I think yours and Karak's are the only mostly negative one's. ChasingComet's is lukewarm, and then there's SSReborn, SolidChamp, OsirisBlack, Theman2k, Verendus, Periniumlick, Rapier, ReNeGaDe124, Nbkt, TacticalFox88, Ron_bato and Juan29.zapata with mostly positive to very positive impressions.

And yes I've kept a list of them lol. I was meaning to put them all in one mega quote post, but I think there's too many to put in to one post now lol. Either way, I definitely expect this game to be divisive.

Kalm

And yes I've kept a list of them lol. I was meaning to put them all in one mega quote post, but I think there's too many to put in to one post now lol. Either way, I definitely expect this game to be divisive.

If you've got them all queued up anyway, I'd actually appreciate a post with quote-links to those impressions at least.

These threads are depressing to sift through...

Toxi

Banned
I read somewhere its not a QTE and instead plays like the God of War Ascension mini boss fights. Truth to the comparison?
I haven't played God of War Ascension, and to be fair I haven't played the Order, just watched a few videos.
Attacking seems free, but dodging seems context-based, with a big flashing stick signal popping up.

Alienous

Your impressions definitely fall in the negative camp. Of the over a dozen or so impressions I've read, I think yours and Karak's are the only mostly negative one's. ChasingComet's is lukewarm, and then there's SSReborn, SolidChamp, OsirisBlack, Theman2k, Verendus, Periniumlick, Rapier, ReNeGaDe124, Nbkt, TacticalFox88, Ron_bato and Juan29.zapata with mostly positive to very positive impressions.

How do those impressions fit in a timeline? I wouldn't be surprised if the most glowing impressions came the earliest. There tends to be a "I've got something other people don't have" honeymoon period with people getting a game early that lends itself to less resistance regarding overwhelming praise.

In a cinematic game, story is probably the most important aspect, so reading a lot of these posts is discouraging. If the story isn't good, I don't really see a reason to get this game.

Crud

Banned
How do those impressions fit in a timeline? I wouldn't be surprised if the most glowing impressions came the earliest. Their tends to be a "I've got something other people don't have" honeymoon period with people getting a game early.

I was about to say! The way GAF be acting with the impressions so far I swear people will lie and force themselves to enjoy the game and so forth report back to GAF with "positive" impressions.

Tears will fall tomorrow.

JAYSIMPLE

Banned
Watched both likan fights. Such a shame they are both pretty much identical in the fact of re used animations. I dontbthink developers will be quick to use the term cinematic to describe their game in the future. Deffo a wasted opportunity

OsirisBlack

Banned
How do those impressions fit in a timeline? I wouldn't be surprised if the most glowing impressions came the earliest. There tends to be a "I've got something other people don't have" honeymoon period with people getting a game early that lends itself to less resistance regarding overwhelming praise.

Yea my second set of impressions was a bit more tempered, playing through it a second time helps you really get to the meat of it. I feel like they could have added a few combat options. It is still a very good game overall and I would wager most people that actually take the time to play the game would agree. Its a solid go around but I do hope they add something even if its DLC to add more replay value to this game as it is Id still give it a strong 8.

Alienous

Yea my second set of impressions was a bit more tempered, playing through it a second time helps you really get to the meat of it. I feel like they could have added a few combat options. It is still a very good game overall and I would wager most people that actually take the time to play the game would agree. Its a solid go around but I do hope they add something even if its DLC to add more replay value to this game as it is Id still give it a strong 8.

From what I've heard about the game I really think a DLC 'Mercenaries/Challenge Map' addition could be a solid idea. Take some of the combat arenas in the game. Put some of the crazier weapons around the level. Maybe do something stage based with more and more difficult enemies. That could make the game more repayable for its gameplay outside of replaying story chapters, methinks.

Visceir

This game will sell ok, but there should not be a sequel based off what we have seen so far. They need to get away from this game ASAP!

The world and lore are promising though and there's so much that could be done with it.

It could be an Assassin's Creed situation where they could actually focus on the gameplay and mechanics for the sequel now that the groundwork is done.

Edit: All those cart pushing sections are dumb as fuck.

EdZNkMV.gif

wut?

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Some werewolf cannon fodder enemies very rarely appear; they're the equivalent of dogs in other shooters in how they move and attack.

The vast majority of foes are guys with guns; the werewolves feel like an afterthought. Not counting QTE bosses, there are only two types of enemies in the entire game.

I'm so sick of guys with guns.

My fears confirmed. PSN sale it is then.

Top Bottom