• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order 1886 Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrimsonMajor

Neo Member
Are you suggesting gamepastrami is less than a reputable source? I won't stand for your libel, sir.

The only review I really care about is Polygon's, oddly enough. I'm not expecting stellar scores, but I do expect a review from Arthur "gotta take Sony down a peg" Gies that's a full standard of deviation lower than the running average.

Apparently Justin McElroy is doing Polygon's review https://twitter.com/aegies/status/568295823093600256

iNvid02

Hope the game gets the reviews it deserves.

bGxiJwV.gif

Zakalwe

Banned
I just want this game to be a memorable and enjoyable experience.

It don't think it will be the first ps4 game to blow me away, but it might hint at it.

I hope so.

TheMoon

Yes, I am serious. What would be the point of measuring those items if they have no bearing on the overall score.
I really think that if individual components to a game are numerically assigned a value, then at the very least the final score should take into account all of them. Otherwise I think doing it in the way this reviewer did is sillY. Write a review without numbers, then.

To tell you what they amount to individually. It also emphasizes how numbers are stupid.

What it says is the game has great graphics, sound, and atmosphere while having only average/comparatively unspectacular gameplay. Then there is the final enjoyment score which weighs all these against each other and tells you that all the graphics in the world can't make this into an 8-9-10 game because the actual gameplay is lacking for this reviewer. I don't get why this is so hard to understand.

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
Gamespot back in the day had a spreadsheet that figured out the final score. I don't think there is any review outlet that still does an average score based on the individual components because that's super dumb.

So scoring 9s and 10s in every category but getting an overall 6, for example, makes sense?

Oh God, it's happening, isn't it? I'm not ready... nay, the world isn't ready... not for The Order's review thread!

If I don't make it out alive... tell my family... I was hoping... for an 85 Metacritic average...

sensi97

Gamepur's GOTY

Never really heard of that one site to be honest. jeuxvideos is a well known site in Europe.
Small correction as I see this mistake quite often on neogaf: jeuxvideomagazine, jeuxvideo.com and jeuxvideo.fr are different medias.
The 7.5 review is from jeuxvideomagazine (magazine) not jeuxvideo.com (biggest video game site in France).

nib95

Banned
That will be the day when we start getting reviews based on how the developers of that game like it rather than the reviewer in question.

Not how the developers like it, how well it does what developers intended, according to the reviewer. Eg, as a linear game, does it work, is it fun? Is the story good and is it aided by the cutscenes or do they just get in the way? Does the cinematic look and feel of the game help it's narrative? Etc.

As oppose to, this game isn't open world therfore it deserves to be docked, or, it's cinematic and cut scene heavy, which in itself, irrespective of anything else is an inherant negative. Etc.

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
To tell you what they amount to individually. It also emphasizes how numbers are stupid.

What it says is the game has great graphics, sound, and atmosphere while having only average/comparatively unspectacular gameplay. Then there is the final enjoyment score which weighs all these against each other and tells you that all the graphics in the world can't make this into an 8-9-10 game because the actual gameplay is lacking for this reviewer. I don't get why this is so hard to understand.

It isn't hard to understand, and I'm defending why if there are numbers in a review, that they should account for all the individual components deemed important to an overall product and give weight to them separately while finally averaging, or totally remove numbers.

TheMoon

So scoring 9s and 10s in every category but getting an overall 6, for example, makes sense?

That's not what happened in the example.

It isn't hard to understand, and I'm defending why if there are numbers in a review, that they should account for all the individual components deemed important to an overall product and give weight to them separately while finally averaging, or totally remove numbers.
For what it's worth, I'm team kill numbers.

jmaine_ph

You saying that graphics, sound and atmosphere matter as much as gameplay? Because I have to disagree there.
I'm more laughing at myself cuz obviously he didn't average his scores like I said. I thought it would be funny to joke about his system. I guess this isn't the place.

gai_shain

That entirely depends on the categories imo.

But lets say for example there are 3 categories
Sound 10
Graphics 10
Gameplay 1

I dont think a game would deserve 7 points if gameplay is only 1 for example so the way they handled it is perfectly fine for me but might not be for someone else.

Tomodachi

Small correction as I see this mistake quite often on neogaf: jeuxvideomagazine, jeuxvideo.com and jeuxvideo.fr are different medias.
The 7.5 review is from jeuxvideomagazine (magazine) not jeuxvideo.com (biggest video game site in France).
The OP should reflect this. It's jeuxvideomagazine, not jeuxvideo as the OP states right now.

ICPEE

The past week or so we had "game length" as ammo for the trolls. Now there is potential for yet more ammo with "low review scores". I hope mods keep a close eye on this thread. Its been ages since we had a decent The Order thread. In fact I can't remember any decent discussions without the shitposting.

I'm going to go with 80~ metacritic rating I think. I think some people will give it 9's, others will give it 7's.

Gunna be interesting that's for sure!

thelastword

Banned
Never a good sign when folk are clamouring to post reviews from websites based in the proverbial black holes of the internet.
Why aren't you posting reviews from the proverbial "upper echelon" parts of the internet then? I'm sure their opinion of playing a video-game is somehow better than that other guy's opinion.

It would be interesting to know what your view would be if these "black hole websites" were shitting on the game though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom