• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order 1886 Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

chadskin

Ready GAF?
c279fb3ce0.gif

Simpsons_Clapping.gif

panty

I'm just here to comment that I don't give a shit about review scores. Can't wait to pick up my copy tomorrow.

Aye. Also Eurogamer's - after that "pre-Order video" fiasco I'm wondering if there's any way they could give a good score (should it be warranted) without losing face and looking like idiots. Part of me says no.

Yeah, the one who made the video should commit sudoku to save Eurogamer's face. How dare one individual voice concern about the quality of a title that had red-flaggs everywhere.

WITHE1982

The final 7.5. is not a "sum of previous scores/average," it's a separate score for "Spielspaß" which I would translate as "enjoyment."

It's not the average. Do realize that this is a different language and that words mean stuff...

Ah I see. thanks for explaining. My bad.

TheMoon

reposting for new page:

How does 7.5, 9.5, 10 and 9 equate to a score of 7.5? It's just like they entered their numbers into a RNG.

The final 7.5. is not a "sum of previous scores/average," it's a separate score for "Spielspaß" which I would translate as "enjoyment."

That cannot be the average if only one item scored 7.5 with everything else being higher. What the fuck? Lol

It's not the average. Do realize that this is a different language and that words mean stuff...

noomi

I was looking forward to reading a review through joystiq, and just learned that the site closed on Feb 3rd :(

I know I'm probably LTTP on that one but... shit.... I really liked joystiq.... sad :(

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Microsoft fans rubbing their hands...ready to attack
Sony fans rubbing their hands...ready to defend
Nintendo fans rubbing their hands...ready to pre-order the next wave of amiibos

Yeah, I posted this in the other thread as well but it's that good of a joke. Only second to my Kitizen Kane pun for SM3DW.

Nintendo fans are busy playing Monster Hunter :p

oti

Banned
WHAT LOL that makes no damn sense then. If the game is being measured on those items, how can the overall package be worse than all of its individual components.

It says "Spielspass" which means fun, not "total score" or something. Now it should make sense.

nib95

Banned
Expecting a meta average somewhere in the 70's as I'm sure a lot of journos likely aren't fond of these types of highly cinematic, linear and mechanically traditional games. But you never know, more may very well end up judging it for how well it succeeds based on RADs vision, rather than their own.

Microsoft fans rubbing their hands...ready to attack
Sony fans rubbing their hands...ready to defend
Nintendo fans rubbing their hands...ready to pre-order the next wave of amiibos

Yeah, I posted this in the other thread as well but it's that good of a joke. Only second to my Kitizen Kane pun for SM3DW.

I'm a Sony fan that is rubbing their hands ready to...play more SM3DW!

Sendou

Expecting a meta average somewhere in the 70's as I'm sure a lot of journos likely aren't fond of these types of highly cinematic, linear and mechanically traditional games. But you never know, more may very well end up judging it for how well it succeeds based on RADs vision, rather than their own.

That will be the day when we start getting reviews based on how the developers of that game like it rather than the reviewer in question.

tuna_love

Banned
Why would they review it based on the developers vision?

TheMoon

WHAT LOL that makes no damn sense then. If the game is being measured on those items, how can the overall package be worse than all of its individual components.

Because it's not a math equation. This is not how reviews work. At least not all of them and not this one in particular.

Could we get a lot of reverse backlash by journos who want to applaud the length of he game?

Could be interesting if they use it as a platform to give credence to shorter gaming experiences

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
Because it's not a math equation. This is not how reviews work. At least not all of them and not this one in particular.

I really think that if individual components to a game are numerically assigned a value, then at the very least the final score should take into account all of them. Otherwise I think doing it in the way this reviewer did is sillY. Write a review without numbers, then.

Cover based shooter. Mechanically traditional.

What?

Xater

Gamespot back in the day had a spreadsheet that figured out the final score. I don't think there is any review outlet that still does an average score based on the individual components because that's super dumb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom