• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order 1886 Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sendou

Not how the developers like it, how well it does what developers intended, according to the reviewer. Eg, as a linear game, does it work, is it fun? Is the story good and is it aided by the cutscenes or do they just get in the way? Does the cinematic look and feel of the game help it's narrative? Etc.

As oppose to, this game isn't open world therfore it deserves to be docked, or, it's cinematic and cut scene heavy, which in itself, irrespective of anything else is an inherant negative. Etc.

Here's the thing: a game has to be fun to play (if it has gameplay that is) whether it's aiming to be cinematic or whatever else. The Last of Us was cinematic, linear and cutscene heavy yet it got insanely good reviews from everyone. In my mind that's probably because it's also fun to play. I would imagine people would have used the same arguments you just did if it wasn't and it showed in reviews. That last paragraph is just unfiltered bullshit and I can't believe people actually think it works like that.

KooopaKid

Banned

sixamp

I read all the Ryse reviews and didn't end up buying it . once it Came to PC I got it and LOVED it. Yes the game play was limited but I loved everything about it. Reviews mean squat to me. The sad thing is that if the game gets great scores people will bitch, if it gets good scores people will bitch and if it gets bad scores people will bitch. Someone always has something to say about someone else's opinion .

Got this on the pre-load page:

"Thought Of The Day

Patience strengthens the spirit, sweetens the temper, stifles anger, extinguishes envy, subdues pride, bridles the tongue."

Strangely apt.

image.php

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
That entirely depends on the categories imo.

But lets say for example there are 3 categories
Sound 10
Graphics 10
Gameplay 1

I dont think a game would deserve 7 points if gameplay is only 1 for example so the way they handled it is perfectly fine for me but might not be for someone else.

And I totally understand that, so if numbers are to be used, and some components such as gameplay are considerably more important to some, then it should be made clear that of four components that would naturally retain 25% of a score individually, gameplay may comprise 40%, visuals 20%, sound 25%, and story 15%. I mean, this makes sense to me if numbers are to be used. Otherwise don't use them.

Salex_

Why are The Order threads getting so many views and comments? Are people that interested in the game? Or is it driven by "teh console warz"?

Spineker

Banned
I'm predicting a score of "who gives a fuck about Metacritic" on Metacritic.

If you don't get what I mean, just check out the user review section in a couple hours.

BokehKing

Banned
Just contributer. Totally irrelevant. It's like posting a review from a random blog.
How much money does someone have to make a year in order for their opinion to be 'relevant'

How much advertising has to be on their website in order for their opinion to matter?

ICPEE

Why aren't you posting reviews from the proverbial "upper echelon" parts of the internet then? I'm sure their opinion of playing a video-game is somehow better than that other guy's opinion.

It would be interesting to know what your view would be if these "black hole websites" were shitting on the game though.
Because the people who work at IGN and other more "well known" websites are better than the rest of us. Maybe they have evolved to Super Sayian level and are just better than everyone else. /sarcasm

Xater

Why are The Order threads getting so many views and comments? Are people that interested in the game? Or is it driven by "teh console warz"?

I'm just curious where my impressions fall compared to other reviewers. I think the game is pretty boring and I don#t know what most people se in it that haven't even played it.

WITHE1982

I think it's the latter rather than the former. It's like fish in a barrel day on GAF. No matter who wins we all lose.

spekkeh

Banned
Just contributer. Totally irrelevant. It's like posting a review from a random blog.

That's Erik Kain, he's way more than just a contributor. His review is quite bad though. Spoilers way too much, written like he's running off a checklist, gives buying advice based on length and not really critiquing.

Zakalwe

Banned
Forbes review looks very spoilery at a glance.

Trying to be informed on quality and going in without being spoilt is tough. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom