• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Phantom Pain, aka Metal Gear Solid V, Announced (360/PS3, "Moby Dick Studio")

Status
Not open for further replies.

entremet

It's definitely one game. I don't think Konami has the resources to make two big budget MGS games so close to each other. Just common sense.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Just got in contact with some sources. They all told me this is for Nintendo GameBoy Advance. I can't believe it but it's true!!!

Skunkers

Was MGS5 supposed to be a open world game? I mean if this would be an open world game it would look insanely good.

You could say GTA 4 looks like shit compared to Gears of War but one is a huge world and the other pretty much corridor-medium sized spaces.

I said this on another forum when Ground Zeroes was shown and I'm sticking by it:

My theory is Ground Zeroes is the prologue chapter before the game proper starts. It's open world and you can helicopter around and all that and then when the game proper begins it stops being open world and switches to your linear typical MGS structure. Now that this is out I'm guessing Snake gets injured at the end of the Ground Zeroes prologue and this Phantom Pain bit kicks off the rest of the game.

I'm guessing the open-world Ground Zeroes was made as a tech demo/test of Fox Engine's capabilities, and will now serve as the demo and/or prologue of MGS5.

wrowa

Don't be like that. I even made an MGS joke when the trailer was being revealed live on GAF! The character lookalikes can easily be explained as people projecting onto the game. The interchanging logo gif uses a typeface and spacing for "Metal Gear Solid V" that has never appeared on anything official, and it isn't even a perfect fit if you look closely (the letter T in particular). That is to say, it looks like somebody has tried to make the letters fit the logo, rather than the other way around. The spacing itself is variable with different letters having different lengths between them (the V in particular is quite distant from the word prior compared to the others), but shit, I'm not a font expert so I don't know if that's unusual or not.

I've seen people hype up a series of coincidences into what turned out to be fucking nothing what feels like a zillion times, and I've dealt with plenty of people making similar "ironclad" case for all sorts of conspiracies or other such stuff. I'm extremely skeptical by nature. The way I feel right now, this has a less than 50% shot of actually being MGS related.

Come on now. That's because the V isn't just another letter but a number.

yurinka

I just tweeted this to see if he confirms something about this being project Ogre:
@Kojima_Hideo Congratulations, Captain Ahab! Ogre looks great!

Dragnet

Clearly the fox engine? Is this going to be the next version of "the Unreal Engine Look"? Is David Hayter actually confirmed, or are you going off 2 seconds of loud breathing at the end of a trailer to recognize somebody's voice when you already have it fixed in your head that this is MGS and are interpreting every single detail through that filter?

Dude, it looks A LOT like the Fox Engine. Engines have styles, this fits what we saw in the GZ trailer. Same lighting around the characters, same aliasing everywhere, similar animation and DAT LENS FLARE.

Come on man. Come on.

jett

D-Member
Don't be like that. I even made an MGS joke when the trailer was being revealed live on GAF! The character lookalikes can easily be explained as people projecting onto the game. The interchanging logo gif uses a typeface and spacing for "Metal Gear Solid V" that has never appeared on anything official, and it isn't even a perfect fit if you look closely (the letter T in particular). That is to say, it looks like somebody has tried to make the letters fit the logo, rather than the other way around. The spacing itself is variable with different letters having different lengths between them (the V in particular is quite distant from the word prior compared to the others), but shit, I'm not a font expert so I don't know if that's unusual or not.

I've seen people hype up a series of coincidences into what turned out to be fucking nothing what feels like a zillion times, and I've dealt with plenty of people making similar "ironclad" case for all sorts of conspiracies or other such stuff. I'm extremely skeptical by nature. The way I feel right now, this has a less than 50% shot of actually being MGS related.

wat? I'm sorry but it's pretty obvious this is a Metal Gear game.

It only proves that is is MGSV.

I am still on board the Vita train.

I can totally believe that Phantom Pain was at one point a Vita title, Sony always get an exclusive mgs games for their platform. mgs1, mgs2, mgs4, and mgs portable ops are all sony exclusives when first released. it's understandable if Sony want an exclusive mgs game for Vita too, and it's not a hard decision from Konami to agree considering vita is successor to psp, a very successful platform in Japan. although with the current Vita situation, there's possibility that PP has been redesigned as PS360 title.

it just doesn't make sense for Kojima/Konami to make a whole new mgs game for ps360 while Ground Zeroes is not even out.

yep, I toid it three times in this thread.

Right now we have a question : why V instead of 5? There are who says that it's for Vita, but...

because it was a vita title. although that may have changed due to Vita hardware sales.

edit: seriously, Sony approached Activision for CoD vita, do you think Sony's not going to go to Konami and ask for MGS Vita? I bet Sony also approached Capcom for MH vita, hence why we get that mhp3rd vita demo, although Capcom decide at later date to bet wholesale on Nintendo so nothing Sony can do about that.

the trailer we got also much less ambitious than Ground Zeroes, closed linear hallways, some simpler geometry, didn't seems like it's on the same ambition and scale as ground zeroes

This trailer screams of an alternative universe where the MGS games where actually hallucinations of a madman who now wakes up and has to use stealth to survive.

- I would be pretty pissed if that was the case, but I couldnt help shake that feeling the entire time I was watching lol.

I would actually be pretty impressed if this game is a spin off of the sorrow illusion like someone said a few pages back lol.

Another story involving Big Boss?

Come on Hideo, be creative and lets create something else besides MGS. How much twisted can you get. The MGS universe is complex as can be...now you're adding another element to this whole barrage of mindfucks?

Kojima:" No, fuCk YOU!!"

Alright, alright!

Another story involving Big Boss?

Come on Hideo, be creative and lets create something else besides MGS. How much twisted can you get. The MGS universe is complex as can be...now you're adding another element to this whole barrage of mindfucks?

Kojima:" No, fuCk YOU!!"

Alright, alright!

MGS Universe is pretty damn awesome, im glad he is taking it to weird and wonderful new places. Why have a new I.P. when he can use an established one to deliver some pretty good stuff. MGS is interesting, a new I.P. might not be so good.

I'm all for being sceptical, because that's how
image.php

is supposed to work, but you have to look at the huge amount of observable evidence there is. Ignoring everything that could or could not be MGS related, here are some facts:

1. The dude looks like Big Boss. Everyone saw that the upon watching the trailer for the first time. Watch it a second time, it's impossible not to notice how much the hair and the beard are identical to the one of BB in the GZ trailer.
You don't make a trailer for a game that's totally unrelated to MGS and make the main character accidentally look like one of the most iconic characters in videogame history. That just doesn't happen. Eveyone on the internet now believes this is MGS V. How fucked would you be as a developer if it actually wasn't?

2. The letters fit. The may not fit perfectly (maybe because we haven't found the right font/the right kerning, etc.), but they fit. This is not a mere coincidece or people seeing things that are not there. The rounded shapes for the G and S fitting perfectly are what pretty much confirm this.

3. Moby Dick.
i) You don't create an AAA developer over night without anyone noticing. We don't know the name of a single person who works there, except for that Joakim guy. It's an anagram for Kojima. Might be a coincidence, but at this point, that's hard to believe.
ii) You don't premiere a game from an entierely unknown developer at the VGAs.
iii) They have a clear affiliation with Konami/Kojipro. That is clear from pics and tweets from the aftershow party.

And then we have an enormous amount of smaller evidence like the petals, Volgin..

Do we at least agree that Kojipro is definitely involved in this? Or are you sceptical about that as well? If it's not MGS, it's another project by Kojima and he used this trailer to fuck with us and generate hype. But the chances for that are waaay lower than 50%.

DigitalOp

Banned
I don't know if this was said but..

Phantom Pain is when amputees are feeling chronic pain from limbs that are not part of their body anymore. This is due to nerve endings firing off at the point of amputation. Essentially, your body is asking "Hey... wheres my arm?" , Patients report feeling pain that covers the area of their missing limb. Very uncomforting to see in practice...

Does anyone think this will play into the game somehow? Im thinking that missing arm is playing with his sanity...

Or is it just a catchy title? lol

Cooper has only ever worked for KojiPro in videogames.

Technically he's never worked for KojPro, but close enough. This is one of those things where it would make sense if it was MGS because he's worked on it before, but isn't evidence by itself because there is no exclusive deal he's got with KojPro where he'll only work for them. Dude IS for hire if somebody else wants him on a game.

Are you really being clear headed, or do you have it fixed in your head that it's not MGS?

Since people are arguing, I'm arguing back, but I'm trying my hardest to be level headed, yes. It's very easy to lose yourself in a heated discussion. I'll leave this thread for now, although if it turns out not to be MGS in the end you can bet I'll be revisiting it later :p

Do we at least agree that Kojipro is definitely involved in this?

No idea, since what you're alluding to (obvious affiliations) isn't something I'm familiar with, given that I haven't read the whole thread (same reason I didn't know who the graphic designer was).

Regarding Moby Dick, I'm not sure what people are really saying about this. Are you saying it's just KojPro internally, or is it a real new dev house that they are just related to?

Just got in contact with some sources. They all told me this is for Nintendo GameBoy Advance. I can't believe it but it's true!!!

Well to be fare, there never was an MG/MGS game on GBA... so KOJI PRO IS FILLING ALL THE BLANKS.

BTW i donno if i'm blind but I can't find Yosp's twitter post about Vita at the VGA's

MGS Universe is pretty damn awesome, im glad he is taking it to weird and wonderful new places. Why have a new I.P. when he can use an established one to deliver some pretty good stuff. MGS is interesting, a new I.P. might not be so good.

Because creating a new IP would be a testament to his creativity from a game designer standpoint....but that would be too much to ask I guess.

I love the entire MGS universe...but Snakes story is finished...and Big Boss was covered well enough also. How much can you go further?

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Because creating a new IP would be a testament to his creativity from a game designer standpoint....but that would be too much to ask I guess.

I love the entire MGS universe...but Snakes story is finished...and Big Boss was covered well enough also. How much can you go further?

Nope, Kojima said he's not done yet with Solid Snake.

omonimo

Banned
So probably is the famous Grounds Zero at this point. Kojima likes to confuse the people but just to generate more hype, it's his 'policy'.

Regarding Moby Dick, I'm not sure what people are really saying about this. Are you saying it's just KojPro internally, or is it a real new dev house that they are just related to?

I believe Moby Dick doesn't exist. Although we really don't know enough about this to say anything definitive.

My other - completely baseless and speculative - theory is that it's a new name for KojiPro LA and JJ Abrams is involved in it. But that is probably just wishful thinking.

phantom pain kinda fit Kojima's latest interview how he didn't want to be known only as metal gear guy but mgs is so popular that he can't get out from it. he also said he had some idea for new ip that he end up use in mgs title. which fit Phantom Pain perfectly, they didn't show any gameplay during that trailer, but the setup really didn't look like your typical mgs game.

mgs games typically have your character, a very able soldier infiltrating stuff and doing missions. in here, the main character is so broken he need to have the other guy to constantly helping him around. his monologue also didn't make him look like a skilled soldier kind of guy. somehow I have hard time imagining after an intro like this, Phantom Pain then become your traditional MGS game.

Drencrom

1. I have never heard of Kyle Cooper before your post just then.
2. Preliminary investigation shows that he's not a developer, he is a graphic designer, and he is also for hire, having worked on slightly more than MGS2/3. Why would working for a Swedish company be weirder for a US citizen than working for a Japanese company?

Clearly the fox engine? Is this going to be the next version of "the Unreal Engine Look"? Is David Hayter actually confirmed, or are you going off 2 seconds of loud breathing at the end of a trailer to recognize somebody's voice when you already have it fixed in your head that this is MGS and are interpreting every single detail through that filter?

Holy shit, dat denial

ugoKd.gif

Oh come on, this has 150% shot of actually being MGS related. It smells like Kojima, it looks like Kojima, it sounds like Kojima.

It's like you forgot how Kojima-trailers worked.

ibhTxP0msjYH1k.gif

iIRnTTgf6KqHn.gif

Yeah, these two sequences happen back to back. Someone is up to the task of putting them together ?

Big Boss is a cyborg in Metal Gear 2 because Snake wrecked him in Metal Gear 1. Madnar resurrected him.

Just so you know.

I forgot about that. Maybe it is set between the first two Metal Gear games.

Ah I dont really care about seeing Kojima prove himself or anything. If he moved on to a new I.P. theres a good chance it would go down a route I dont care about. From a selfish point of view I want more MGS.

Games like Peace Walker suprised me because I felt the same way as you. There is an absolute ton of back story in MGS which would be great to explore. Hell I want a game following The Boss!

Rapstah

If Moby Dick Studio actually existed you'd think they would do more than register one .se domain for a year and put a poorly written Wordpress blog on it.

Persona86

Banned

I'm 100% sure that's the fox engine. Just look at the lighting, graphics, animation style, it's almost exactly like the ground zeros trailer.

Not only that the camera style and directing was very simlar to the ground zeroes trailer and it has all the Kojima trademark feel to it.

Also there's a character that looks similar to psycho mantis, at least suggesting a connection to MGS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom