• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The possible console PS5 Slim leaked? (Update: possible video)

REDRZA MWS

Gold Member
Lol it’s hilarious how some people get so defensive when the thing they own is no longer the absolute latest and greatest.

It’s a hardware revision meant to cut some costs and simplify their product line. Nobody is asking you to replace your existing PS5 with this.
You know what happens when you “assume”, right? Nah, some skimmed down version of what I already own, that wont do a fucking thing mine cant, well except accept discs unless I buy an add on, does not make mine outdated or not “the latest and greatest”. You missed the entire point. Read the above, this does fucking nothing. It doesn’t have better specs, and Sony already offers a cheaper model on the all digital edition to save consumers coin. Lastly, Sony is most certainly not paying the manufacturing costs they were 3-4 years ago. Once again, this makes no sense.

Edit.: Its very creepy how sone people get in their emotions over anything negative toward PlayStation.

Last edited:
There really is zero need for this. I own d brand plates on my launch ps5 and already sleeker. Also a detachable hard drive? Seriously? You already sell a digital sleeker console for 100 bucks less. Just release the pro.
You know the reason that companies generally do revisions a lot right? Cost.

Die changes, smaller units meaning smaller components meaning cheaper components, smaller cheaper packaging meaning cheaper shipping and manufacturing. It’s all meant to bring cost down in the long run. Every small thing can save a ton of money even if it’s like oh this box now costs $0.25 less then before but since we makes millions of them it saves money.

Now there’s also the enticement of possibly second purchases, and in some cases you have to fix hardware failures like with the 360 but it’s about cost of materials and manufacturing.

It may not be necessary for you but it saves Sony money and Sony is in the business of making money just like every other company.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
OK I took you post as an attempt to downplay any criticism of any console’s aesthetics. If you’re taking specifically about PS4 then yeah I would agree most of the criticism was from console warriors who would hate on anything Sony made.

Right, just saying even consoles that are largely praised for their design are going to have detractors mostly due to warriors being warriors. Nothing wrong with genuine criticism though. I don't necessarily disagree with anything you said about PS5 either. Completely legit observations.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
You know what happens when you “assume”, right? Nah, some skimmed down version of what I already own, that wont do a fucking thing mine cant, well except accept discs unless I buy an add on, does not make mine outdated or not “the latest and greatest”. You missed the entire point. Read the above, this does fucking nothing. It doesn’t have better specs, and Sony already offers a cheaper model on the all digital edition to save consumers coin. Lastly, Sony is most certainly not paying the manufacturing costs they were 3-4 years ago. Once again, this makes no sense.

Edit.: Its very creepy how sone people get in their emotions over anything negative toward PlayStation.
Wow man you must be a genius. You should email Sony and let them know how this won’t save on manufacturing costs.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Ist die beste Freude!
Freud04-750x500.jpg

Still can't believe how ugly that thing is. Thanks for reminding me, Sony. At least I have my black side panels installed. Doesn't stick out that much this way.

REDRZA MWS

Gold Member
You know the reason that companies generally do revisions a lot right? Cost.

Die changes, smaller units meaning smaller components meaning cheaper components, smaller cheaper packaging meaning cheaper shipping and manufacturing. It’s all meant to bring cost down in the long run. Every small thing can save a ton of money even if it’s like oh this box now costs $0.25 less then before but since we makes millions of them it saves money.

Now there’s also the enticement of possibly second purchases, and in some cases you have to fix hardware failures like with the 360 but it’s about cost of materials and manufacturing.

It may not be necessary for you but it saves Sony money and Sony is in the business of making money just like every other company.
And components don’t cost what they did over 3 years ago. Just cut the price of both ps5 and digital by 50 bucks, pass those 4 year old manufacturing costs to consumers.

REDRZA MWS

Gold Member
Wow man you must be a genius. You should email Sony and let them know how this won’t save on manufacturing costs.
Doesnt take a genius to figure out things dont cost as much as they did 4 years ago. Besides cost, they already offer a digital version which is 100 bucks cheaper. There is no point to this.

dEvAnGeL

They need to get rid of the stupid stand. I don’t care if the console is as big as an air conditioning lol

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Doesnt take a genius to figure out things dont cost as much as they did 4 years ago. Besides cost, they already offer a digital version which is 100 bucks cheaper. There is no point to this.
What does that have to do with anything? You can still redesign something to be smaller + more cost efficient regardless whether the costs of manufacturing the older version have been increasing or decreasing. Those are two independent things. You seem to be deeply confused.

lol what a cunt

N2p4N5Q.jpg
Ljit5Rf.jpg

These are my personal favorites, but Sony's slimline consoles as a whole have always been great.
Both of these are great. I never got the hate for the PS4 slim. Yeah, it didn't look as great as the PS4 but I liked it especially in white.

PS2 Slim 2nd Gen is the absolute GOAT, but the PSone, PS3 Slim, and PS4 Slim are all nice. The PS2 Slim was already like wtf how but then the second revision just made it even better even if you can't mod them as easily I believe.

twilo99

True. A bit more engineering and manufacturing costs went into creating this, I think....

oLLKoB3u5kqHEnR3.large

From a consumer standpoint this is a win, but I still don't understand why they thought necessary to overengineer this thing, which then led to higher costs across the board and less profit.. I think they messed up.

Sony is much better at balancing all that to where they actually make money and the product is.. acceptable.

From a consumer standpoint this is a win, but I still don't understand why they thought necessary to overengineer this thing, which then led to higher costs across the board and less profit.. I think they messed up.

Sony is much better at balancing all that to where they actually make money and the product is.. acceptable.

That probably complicated production as well. Which depending on how you look at it can be a negative for consumers.

nial

The PS3 Super Slim was the only one that looked really strange to me.
Yeah, that is the only exception.
Both of these are great. I never got the hate for the PS4 slim. Yeah, it didn't look as great as the PS4 but I liked it especially in white.

PS2 Slim 2nd Gen is the absolute GOAT, but the PSone, PS3 Slim, and PS4 Slim are all nice. The PS2 Slim was already like wtf how but then the second revision just made it even better even if you can't mod them as easily I believe.
The PS2 Slim was my first console and I couldn't understand why other systems were big and bulky boxes compared to it, lol.

lame.

well, hopefully they do something cool/stupid like the psx eventually.
when almost everything comes to pc these days, i might need a special model to get me into a ps5.

RetroPixl_Retrogaming_retro_Gaming_Sony_PSX_7000_3.jpg

True, but I think in this case that was mostly the cloud bet.

What Sony are doing is better, even with the multiple hardware revisions, it's still a better design from a profit standpoint.

I don't think they intentionally ruined supply for the cloud. They probably had other issues as well which had a pretty big impact on supply. Then there's the fact that they haven't done much in terms of changing the hardware which would reduce the materials needed.

how is it overengineered? why does it cost more?

DaGwaphics

I really like this design and glad they didn't make it look like a giant Series S as that was one of several prototypes

6Ks6ZsV.jpg
OMG, that one on the front left, would have fit perfectly on a TV stand from the 1980s, all that depth. You would have had to stand it sideways on a lot of modern stands just to have room for the HDMI to exit properly, I can't believe that even made it to the prototype stage. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

ReBurn

Gold Member
It was the quietest and coolest running one. It's as quiet as the PS5, if not quieter.

Nice and small too.
And that sliding drive door was trash and the plastic broke easily. It had garbage quality materials. The slim PS3 was the goat PS3 in terms of quality. It's a tank.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
And that sliding drive door was trash and the plastic broke easily. It had garbage quality materials. The slim PS3 was the goat PS3 in terms of quality. It's a tank.
Fugly tho, IMO. Stop abusing your consoles, Clubber Lang.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Just noticed this. Is this a leak of the new board or just a board from a previous cost cutting (seems like the latter since the drive bays would line up)? If it's the new one, the fact that the mask for the liquid cooling is still there would mean that they could maximize the heatsync reduction with the lower wattage APU.

twilo99

I don't think they intentionally ruined supply for the cloud. They probably had other issues as well which had a pretty big impact on supply. Then there's the fact that they haven't done much in terms of changing the hardware which would reduce the materials needed.

Right.. and Again, they should look at what Sony is doing if they want to actually profit from the hardware, which I'm not sure if they really care about at this point.

Whatever it is they must've felt comfortable with brining it to market, also since it is now a proven design, they will likely stick to the layout for the next one, and like you say, they might mess with the materials and bring the cost down. The xsx will probably go down as one of the best built consoles to come to market.

Last edited:
Top Bottom