• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Ridiculous Six (Adam Sandler) is the most-watched movie in the history of Netflix

Status
Not open for further replies.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
It's funny seeing people get upset over this news and at the same time celebrate a merchandising advertisement becoming the highest grossing domestic film of all time.

Because Star Wars is a good movie?

He was working on a comedy with a comedian..., was Sandler serious when he offended the person or was he doing it for the film?
What exactly happened?

Found it:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/trending/native-activists-tell-adam-sandler-netflix-they-re-notyourhollywoodindian-1.3053696

CDeX6yEUkAAoTi0.jpg

GIF-bitch-please-clothes-disdain-embarassing-fashion-fashion-police-inspect-judging-you-outfit-Ryan-Gosling-stinkface-GIF.gif

It's like watching comedy being set on fire.

wetwired

I was tempted to watch it, am I a part of the problem?

I loved Billy Madison and Happy Gilmore back in the day but haven't enjoyed anything of his since.

GamerJM

Banned
I find this genuinely surprising. I've never heard anyone talk about this movie IRL and it feels like Adam Sandler's public perception has reached a point so low that it has a noticeable effect on people I know, yet his movies still do really well.

That implies that those movies are bad and can only be enjoyed by 15 year olds, though. Are Sandler's previously said to be good films suddenly garbage for teens now?

But... they are bad. He's always playing the same role (slacker/idiot), doing painfully stupid stuff and just being a bonehead. That some people find his movies hilarious (I'm not judging, I liked "There's something about Mary" back in the day) does not mean (most of) his movies aren't bad.

Oersted

I blame the Gaf thread.

Isn't it weird that people who like this movie can drive automobiles and vote?

Slightly scared.

I laughed during the five minute segment I decided to watch. This was the scene, really fucking stupid, but it got me to laugh.

It's funny seeing people get upset over this news and at the same time celebrate a merchandising advertisement becoming the highest grossing domestic film of all time.

I never celebrated, so who are you talking to?

Donald Trump is #1 for Republicans, and pro wrestling is also one of the highest rated shows on cable TV. There's a big world outside of wherever you hang out on the Internet.

But... they are bad. He's always playing the same role (slacker/idiot), doing painfully stupid stuff and just being a bonehead. That some people find his movies hilarious (I'm not judging, I liked "There's something about Mary" back in the day) does not mean (most of) his movies aren't bad.

Oh I know I just thought that there was like some kind of point on the timeline where people [on GAF] universally agreed he started to suck, and those movies were from the period before that. I really haven't seen too many people say that Billy Madison or Happy Gilmore are shitty Sandler films, especially compared to his more recent output.

Alienfan

I don't know, I see this as really good news. Netflix being happy with the success of their first big movie just opens the door for other original films. Given their commitment towards a diverse line up of television shows, I see no reason why we wouldn't see a similar philosophy applied to their movies. In other words, just because Ridiculous 6 did well doesn't mean Netflix will just greenlight 6 more spoof movies - their entire business model is built around catering to everyone.

munchie64

I don't know, I see this as really good news. Netflix being happy with the success of their first big movie just opens the door for other original films. Given their commitment towards a diverse line up of television shows, I see no reason why we wouldn't see a similar philosophy applied to their movies.
I like your outlook.

Adam Sandler is not that character this time. He is like a baby-sitter of brothers throughout the movie, most of the brother are idiots. He also does most of the skillful/serious work while his brother are having fun.

This movie does follow the Happy Madison formula, but not in the sense which you describe.

kswiston

That implies that those movies are bad and can only be enjoyed by 15 year olds, though. Are Sandler's previously said to be good films suddenly garbage for teens now?

Current teenage boys still think Adam Sandler is hilarious. It's people growing up that decide at some point that his stuff is shit. Except for that classic stuff they liked as a youth. I say this as someone who liked The Waterboy and Billy Madison as well when they came out, and still have a nostalgic soft spot for them now.

It's not like he was turning out acclaimed films in the mid-90s and gradually went to shit. Almost all of them were reviewed poorly, even back then. Check out his stunning career for yourself: http://www.metacritic.com/person/adam-sandler?page=1

Adam Sandler makes films for 15 year olds, and people who stayed 15 at heart. Hence the disconnect between his success and reviews.

I think the reason that Sandler films stopped doing as well at the box office recently has to do with his target audience (15 year old boys) turning to youtube to watch people do and say stupid shit instead.

FZZ

Banned
I watched 10 minutes and then stopped

I went out of my way to give it 1 star as well

What's it current rating on Netflix?

etta

my hard graphic balls
Also, the movie is rated almost 5 full stars, where's the 1-star rating coming from?

90% of Americans think humor is being offensive.

I've had conversations with people that think saying blatantly horrible shit with no content is okay simply because it is "humor".

Of course people love this shit.

oti

Banned
Look, if we need to endure trash such as this to get marbles such as Narcos and Making a Murderer I'm OK with that.

Next up: Netflix Avatar (the TV show) and Power Rangers!!!

So you have no idea why, but you hate Adam Sandler and people who enjoy his movies. Instead of responding with some kind of logic and explaining the critical flaws of the movies you point at a documentary series that is probably on the other side of the Netflix catalog as Ridiculous Six. The movie is flawed, I accept that many people will not like the start (worst part), some of the characters, depiction of Indians, some toilet humor etc. Some of the actors aren't really showing their skills, that is a valid criticism.

As someone pointed out, you are probably insecure about your own taste. You want to align yourself with elite. Instead of developing your own taste and favorites, your rely on distorted internet's opinion to guide your entertainment.

It is ironical how you insult people for liking a movie that is light and juvenile, but you respond in the way that is even more immature and shallow.
Ironical isn't a thing but your rage sure is.

Sandfox

There's a reason why Sandler keeps getting movies and this just shows how smart of a business decision this was on the part of Netflix. There are some Sandler movies I find decent so hopefully at least one of the movies in this deal will be more like them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom