• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 'Skylanders Giants' |OT|

GameMaster78

Neo Member
Who's in Wave 3?

EDIT: Wtf there are silver (glitter) variants now.

Don't know about Giants, but for some strange reason, toysrus.com is taking reserves on Lightcore Shroomboom with shipping by 12/22.

As for who is in those boxes, I can tell you -

x2 Flashwing
x1 Pop Fizz
x1 Lightning Rod
x1 Stealth Elf
x1 Eruptor
x1 Prism Break
x1 Cynder
x1 Whirlwind
x1 Stump Smash
x1 Terrafin
x1 Drill Sergeant

That's what I'm hearing, anyhow.

ElNino

Don't know about Giants, but for some strange reason, toysrus.com is taking reserves on Lightcore Shroomboom with shipping by 12/22.

x2 Flashwing
x1 Pop Fizz
x1 Lightning Rod
x1 Stealth Elf
x1 Eruptor
x1 Prism Break
x1 Cynder
x1 Whirlwind
x1 Stump Smash
x1 Terrafin
x1 Drill Sergeant

I hope that's not it, nothing new from that list. I'm hoping to find any of the remaining giants (Thumpback particularly) or Hot Dog (single or pack) for my son for Christmas. I'm not feeling likely to get it, but we'll see.

Sora_N

x2 Flashwing
x1 Pop Fizz
x1 Lightning Rod
x1 Stealth Elf
x1 Eruptor
x1 Prism Break
x1 Cynder
x1 Whirlwind
x1 Stump Smash
x1 Terrafin
x1 Drill Sergeant

Wow, what a crappy wave, honestly. It's only good for those who want S2's or missed Flashwing. I don't have funds to buy S2's so not going to bother.

GameMaster78

Neo Member
I am going on a small rant here, based on what I read from a TRU employee on another forum. If it's true, it makes me truly mad, and I may be done with Skylanders as a whole, after Giants.

First off, for wave 3. Those singles I listed are indeed true. Some TRU employees are buying them up for themselves already and posting pics of it.

On top of the wave 3 singles, Lightcore Shroomboom will be out in wave 3. He is the only new Lightcore for this wave.

Lightcore wave 3 seems to be -

x4 LC Shroomboom
x2 LC Drobot
x2 LC Prism Break
x2 LC Eruptor
x2 LC Jet-Vac

There is a rumor, and treat it as such for the time, that the remaining 3 Giants will be out when wave 3 hits. Take it with a grain of salt.

Someone on Ebay sold an Eye Brawl and Thumpback, claiming to have them inhand, but they didn't provide a pick.

Now, as for my rant, and why I might be done with Skylanders as a whole, after Giants, is because I am seeing a trend based on what a TRU employee posted on another forum.

It seems another round of price hikes are happening, and Acti/TFB is doing little to stop it.

This TRU employee claims that Skylanders prices are going to be like this -

- Singles: 10.99
- Lightcore: 12.99

Why does this bug me? Well first off, it's happening again. When the first game released, it was 7.99 and 19.99 until January, where TRU hiked the prices up first, to 9.99 and 24.99. Then, Gamestop followed suit. Slowly all stores started raising their prices to match that. I had the thought at the time, that TRU was the one to blame, but as soon as all stores started doing it, I started getting the idea that Activision had this idea all along, to slowly raise prices. I dropped the idea, but now I am thinking this will be a pattern every year for Skylanders. Here is the pattern I stated on another forum -

- Spyro's Adventure releases. Figures are 7.99 and 19.99
- In january 2012, Gamestop and TRU raised their prices to 9.99 and 24.99
- Giants releases. Figures are 9.99 and 24.99 at all retail stores
- In January 2013, TRU and Gamestop raises their prices to 10.99 and 25.99 (or maybe even 27.99)
- Skylanders 3 releases. Figures are 10.99 and 25.99 (or 27.99) at all retail stores
- In January 2014, TRU and Gamestop raises their prices to 11.99 and 26.99 (or maybe even 28.99)
- Skylanders 4 releases. Figures are 11.99 and 26.99 (or 28.99) at all retail stores

If this is the case, I am done with Skylanders. I will sell my doubles, to try and recoup any costs and retire after finishing off the Giants collection.

It is downright stupid to keep raising the prices on figures for a game that can be beaten in no more than 3 days (I beat Nightmare on 2). I try and defend this franchise with a passion, despite not getting paid for it, but there comes a point where I have to draw the line. Skylanders and Giants don't offer enough content, to drag out the release of figures, for 7 months, like they did with the first game.

I have stopped playing Giants, because I've beaten it. Anytime I get on, is just to register a new character that I don't even need to play with, because I have beaten the game before.

Hiking up prices, is just going to drive a nail into this awesome franchise, when customers start telling their Little Timmy "Son, that's just too much money. We already have to buy a game for 69.99 or 74.99. Buying figures for 10.99 a piece, is just too costly."

This is why 7.99 a piece was an awesome price point. However, like the oil industry people, I guess others aren't happy with the profits they get. They got to see how high they can get. Only with Skylanders, unlike oil, it isn't needed in life to get from point A to B.

TFB needs to stop TRU from doing this, unless Acti had this plan all along. If so, shame on them, and I am done with this franchise after everything releases for Giants. I am already worried one of the ingame variants that hasn't been released yet (ie Polar Whirlwind, Scarlet Ninjini, Jade Flashwing, and Molten Hot Dog) will be a convention exclusive, thus being hard to obtain, which then throws a kink into my method of collecting (4 of each figure; 3 for me, 1 for my kids). I am that worried, yes.

For all of the price hiking, this hassle and worry isn't worth it. They said they would keep up with demand, yet my local TRU is empty once again. Wave 3 only seems to be coming into each TRU in increments of 3 boxes. THREE BOXES! That's keeping up with demand *rolls eyes*. Hot Head is still hard to find for many, and if the rumor of the last 3 Giants coming out on the 23rd is true, don't ever expect to find them.

Acti will just say, "oh, well we didn't think more people would be interested this year, thus another shortage happened," when I am starting to see that they aren't releasing enough again, that everyone can easily find a Hot Head, like wave 1 was easy to find, and wave 2 singles and giants are easy to find.

I'm sorry for the rant, but price hiking again, is just dumb. Why can't corporations stop thinking about pleasing investors, and please their customers? We helped Skylanders become what it is, and the thanks we get, is hiked up prices again without any regulation by the corporations, if they truly have nothing to do with it?

Stage On

Holy crap if they have another price hike I'm out.

Singles have always been $10 in Canada and that's the absolute most I'm willing to pay for 1 normal sized figure.

Triple packs used to be $20 and I'm NOT happy about how they went up to $25. Sure I'm only getting the battle packs since I want the least amount of doubles possible, but that's still an extra $10 out of my pocket not to mention the taxes

RkOwnage

^^^

Holy Crap! Very impressive man, that's an awesome collection. Here I am just trying to finish the original Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure set, this puts everything I have to shame.

Why so many consoles though?

(btw, what do you do for a living? if you don't mind me asking)

GameMaster78

Neo Member
My career of choice is screenwriting. However, I just save really well for things like this.

I need to go on a small rant again, but it won't be long. I hope someone at TFB sees this, because these issues need to be fixed, because as it stands, the game is broken in a couple of aspects.

Before I get to two glitches that are hindering people's chances to complete quests, I will say this. Toys R Us has already hiked their prices up. If the 10.99 per single stays permanent and eventually makes it to all stores, I'm going to have to bow out of the Skylanders trend. That, or I will wait for sales before buying figures (when they are 9.99 or less).

Now, as to what's broken. People on the Darkspyro.net website keep saying they can't complete Legendary Chop Chop's quest to defeat an Evil Undead Skylander.

I just checked this myself. I grabbed my L-Chop Chop and proceeded to Chapter 14 and whooped the snot out of the 2 Evil Chop Chops (on Nightmare by the way, and I didn't take a single hit from them; thus Nightmare is too easy), and the quest didn't register as completed.

Another thing people are talking about, is being able to finish Ghost Roaster's unique quest "Grave Circumstances." The only way people can finish that quest with Ghost Roaster, is to upgrade him down the "Fear Eater" path. Then, people can complete it. However, should people want to upgrade him down the other path, he can't complete that quest and he has to be reset to finish it.

These are issues I think TFB should address, because as of now, 2 characters can't complete their quests. They need to patch the game if possible, because some people out there apparently want to finish all quests with all Skylanders. :O

New post on Reddit indicates that while the new wave 3 figures come out Sunday 12/23, the new Lightcore release, Shroomboom, comes out Thursday 12/20 and there are 4 per case.

Sora_N

New post on Reddit indicates that while the new wave 3 figures come out Sunday 12/23, the new Lightcore release, Shroomboom, comes out Thursday 12/20 and there are 4 per case.

Great, I actually imported Sprocket and Flashwing (from the US) since I couldn't wait, but seeing how they're fairly common and even LC Jet Vac is easy to get I'm just gonna wait until I find him in shelves.

U2NUMB

My career of choice is screenwriting. However, I just save really well for things like this.

I need to go on a small rant again, but it won't be long. I hope someone at TFB sees this, because these issues need to be fixed, because as it stands, the game is broken in a couple of aspects.

Before I get to two glitches that are hindering people's chances to complete quests, I will say this. Toys R Us has already hiked their prices up. If the 10.99 per single stays permanent and eventually makes it to all stores, I'm going to have to bow out of the Skylanders trend. That, or I will wait for sales before buying figures (when they are 9.99 or less).

Now, as to what's broken. People on the Darkspyro.net website keep saying they can't complete Legendary Chop Chop's quest to defeat an Evil Undead Skylander.

I just checked this myself. I grabbed my L-Chop Chop and proceeded to Chapter 14 and whooped the snot out of the 2 Evil Chop Chops (on Nightmare by the way, and I didn't take a single hit from them; thus Nightmare is too easy), and the quest didn't register as completed.

Another thing people are talking about, is being able to finish Ghost Roaster's unique quest "Grave Circumstances." The only way people can finish that quest with Ghost Roaster, is to upgrade him down the "Fear Eater" path. Then, people can complete it. However, should people want to upgrade him down the other path, he can't complete that quest and he has to be reset to finish it.

These are issues I think TFB should address, because as of now, 2 characters can't complete their quests. They need to patch the game if possible, because some people out there apparently want to finish all quests with all Skylanders. :O

I sure hope the right people see this and your previous post. I mean .. if someone as die hard as you are is at the end of his rope they NEED to take notice of that.

Sure hope there is a good deal of outrage at the price hikes.

8292503283_a434b5771a_z.jpg

Lightcore Shroomboom. :)

Mr.Fresh

Would you guys reconvened this game for a 5 yo girl who is really into games?

She has a 3ds and her parents have all 3 consoles. She plays:
NSMB2
Sonic
Kirby
Rayman origins
Animal Crossing
Nintendogs
Epic Mickey 2

Would you guys reconvened this game for a 5 yo girl who is really into games?

She has a 3ds and her parents have all 3 consoles. She plays:
NSMB2
Sonic
Kirby
Rayman origins
Animal Crossing
Nintendogs
Epic Mickey 2

Definetly. And it one of the best co-op games as well.

Really? I think I just found my nieces Christmas present. Should I go with the original Skylanders or the new one?

The original game is cheaper and fun, but as a Xmas present I will recommend the new one, which is fresh on people`s mind, and the kid friends will still be talking about it. The the extra figures will be easier to find when the child asks the parents for more :)

Both games are similar and fun to play together. I love to play them with my 5 years old boy.

Sora_N

It's where the Toys 'R' Us employees take the unique variants out of the shipping box in the back room before stocking the store shelves and then sell the variants on eBay.

Oddly enough I actually thought "TRU exclusive" when I first saw the picture, not sure why.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
I just started playing Giants with my son, his gift. We did not play the first game and I have a few questions.

1. Do upgrades for characters flow between games, can I get to level 4 in Giants and them use that level 4 guy in Adventures with his upgrades? I know series 2 is not supported in the original game.

2. Can you give gold from one figure to another?

3. We seem to miss a lot of stuff on each level, can you get it all in one play through assuming you have the correct elements?

4. Can you really just farm gold and xp in battle mode?

5. Is there a huge disadvantage if you play a level 5 and 1 together or is it fine?

Thanks.

GameMaster78

Neo Member
my wallet is already crying

You shouldn't fear. I have heard their game won't include physical toys to buy. Even if so, that's not gonna stop my passion for Skylanders. Skylanders is the originator of toys coming to life. Accept no substitutes. But, yeah, no need to fear, as the latest rumors state there are no toys to collect on that one.

GameMaster78, I think you're going to hate this...as much as I love it.

g2zjf.jpg

I saw that. I think it looks great, and it's good to see Activision employees and Toys for Bob spoil themselves. I wish I could have one, sure, I still need stones, sparkles, and the new flocked (winter) Skylanders from wave 3 - which I intend to get sometime soon. But, this one, just to own one of those would be a true honor.

They were gifts for the Toys For Bob employees. Probably now the rarest Skylander variants around and unlikely to end up on eBay.

Yeah, I don't see many - if any - hitting Ebay.

Oh, and happy holidays everyone here, and the lurkers from TFB or Activision browsing these forums. Everyone stay safe, enjoy the family time, eat a lot, and play lots of Skylanders. I hope everyone got what they're looking for, for wave 3.

Here is my wall after I filled in 6 more holes due to wave 3's release.

IMG_0245.jpg

Just missing - for this wall -

Series 2 Spyro
Series 2 Wrecking Ball
Series 2 Drobot
Ninjini
Thumpback
Eye-Brawl
LC Hex
LC Pop Fizz
LC Chill
Triple Packs 5-9 (going based off Gamestop's listing of 9 Triple Packs)
Scorpion Striker Battle Pack

Oh, and single pack Jet-Vac, Hot Dog, Chop Chop, and Zap, if that's happening.

It's slowly getting there. Soon, I am thinking about doing analysis of all Skylanders for the games. It's something I intended to do from the start, which was make the end all be all of Skylander websites, filled with everything a Skylander fan could want. However, the website is on hold while I finish my latest script. That wouldn't stop me from posting my favorite paths here, for each Skylander, and why.

GameMaster78

Neo Member
Sorry for the double post, but I had to say this.

How cool would it be, if that employee edition Prism Breaks crystals had a different color light in each crystal? What colors? Red and green, naturally. Just thought it would be cool, however I doubt anyone who owns one of those at Acti/TFB is complaining. That to me is cooler than winning the lottery... Yes, I said that. Sometimes the smallest things can way cooler than millions of dollars.

EDIT: I have given it more thought, and I have decided to dedicate more room to Skylanders, haha. The pic you see in the post above, is half of a wall. This is the other half -

IMG_0249.jpg

As soon as I finish my collection, and go after the Stone, Sparkle/Glitter, and the new Flocked (winter?) variants of wave 3, I will fill up the rest of the wall you see. I will take down the Mario Galaxy 2 stuff on my closet door and replace it with Skylanders posters (too bad there are no Vinyl stickers yet for Skylanders or they would go there), as well as take down the Halo Reach figures, plus the Vinyl Stickers of Master Chief and the Arbiter to fill with more Skylanders. This means 3 whole walls of 4 is filled with Skylanders in my game room/man cave. Let's not forget that where my Giants poster feature Tree Rex, Cynder, and Jet-Vac is currently, a new shelf will be built to display Giants figures.

Just wait until you see what this baby looks like when done. :)

Zing

Banned
I sure hope the right people see this and your previous post. I mean .. if someone as die hard as you are is at the end of his rope they NEED to take notice of that.

Sure hope there is a good deal of outrage at the price hikes.
He has been threatening to quit since last May. Hell, since your post he has announced even more dedication. He will be balls deep until this series is finished.

Zing

Banned
I just started playing Giants with my son, his gift. We did not play the first game and I have a few questions.

1. Do upgrades for characters flow between games, can I get to level 4 in Giants and them use that level 4 guy in Adventures with his upgrades? I know series 2 is not supported in the original game.

2. Can you give gold from one figure to another?

3. We seem to miss a lot of stuff on each level, can you get it all in one play through assuming you have the correct elements?

4. Can you really just farm gold and xp in battle mode?

5. Is there a huge disadvantage if you play a level 5 and 1 together or is it fine?

Thanks.
1. Yes.
2. No.
3. In Spyro's Adventure you could, but in Giants you frequently cannot.
4. Yes.
5. There is no sort of "anti power levelling" code that I have seen.

Sorry to do this but:

I anyone looking for that exclusive Gill grunt from the xbox bundle to add to their collection?
I got the system for xmas because I wanted a white xbox but don't need the skylanders bundle at all. Willing to trade the whole bundle just PM me as I don't want to derail this thread.

GameMaster78

Neo Member
He has been threatening to quit since last May. Hell, since your post he has announced even more dedication. He will be balls deep until this series is finished.

What this guy said.

I will never give up on this franchise, EVER. I will be balls deep in it.

I have a suggestion for the Toys for Bob employees browsing this topic. My suggestion comes from an idea a friend of mine had last night while I was showing him the Skylanders game. I gave said friend a copy of both games on consoles, and both games on 3DS, so he could go through them and see what Skylanders is about. Anyhow, he has stated how cool it would be to see Spell Punk Skylanders.

Like how each element has a dragon Skylander, it would be cool if 8 Skylanders in Skylanders 3 were Spell Punk Skylanders in each element. I've always liked the ways the Spell Punks look ingame. It would cool to own them in figure form.

Hi Skylanders Gaf,

I got this today for X-mas but I can't get it to work (360 version). When I put figure on the stand it see the figure start to show character animation and then it said there's a problem with your figures please remove and check quick start guide. What am I doing wrong (and there was no quick start guide in my box.

edit: found quick start guide, reading it now.

edit2: well, apparently this thing doesn't work on glass surface (why is that?) and my entertainment center has glass top.

GameMaster78

Neo Member
It works on a glass top. I can tell you most likely what it is, but you may not like the outcome.

There is a fix to this, but it requires having the 3DS copy of the game. Sometimes, this problem happens when a character is reset, but taken off of the portal, before the full reset can finish. It messes up the figure.

So, you put the figure on the 3DS portal and try to register it in the first or second game. It will say there is a problem with the Skylander and that it needs to be reset. You reset it, and it works again on the console games.

The 3DS games aren't bad games anyway. So, if you get a chance, get one and fix the character. The other alternative, is to contact Activision Assist on Facebook, who can lead you in the right direction.

Good luck, and I hope you enjoy the game.

So is there a difference between lightcore version and regular? I know one light up but other than that what is in game benefit of light core if any? And how are two figures of the same character treated? I assume each figure is unique.

Thanks.

GameMaster78

Neo Member
Took the Xbox to my in-laws with all my son's new Skylanders and copy of Giants. Forgot the fecking portal!

EPIC DAD FAIL!

:( How was you guys' Christmas otherwise?

So is there a difference between lightcore version and regular? I know one light up but other than that what is in game benefit of light core if any? And how are two figures of the same character treated? I assume each figure is unique.

Thanks.

A Lightcore character from the first game (ie Prism Break, Eruptor, Drobot, Hex) compared to their Series 1 counterpart is only different with the lighting up and the Flashbomb effect, which happens once per level. If Lightcore Prism, Hex, Drobot, or Eruptor are played on the first game (they do work on the first game), they won't have their Flashbomb effect. Series 2 figures (re-releases of the characters from the first game) work on the first and second game. However, their new move, dubbed "Wow Pow" only works on the second game.

ALL Skylanders from the first and second game can level to 15, instead of 10.

So I found some of the old Expansion Pack, Empire Ice and Dragon Peak, are these compatible at all with the Giants or just the Skylanders are?

GameMaster78

Neo Member
Anything Skylanders GAME related is worth getting.

There are 4 Adventure Packs (expansion packs) -

Darklight Crypt (comes with Ghost Roaster and the Time Twister and Healing Elixir Magical Items)
Pirate Seas (comes with Terrafin and the Ghost Swords and Hidden Treasure Magical Items)
Empire of Ice (comes with Slam Bam and the Sky Iron Shield and Anvil Rain Magical Items)
Dragon's Peak (comes with Sunburn and the Sparx Dragonfly and Winged Boots Magical Items)

They are all worth getting.

Anything Skylanders GAME related is worth getting.

There are 4 Adventure Packs (expansion packs) -

Darklight Crypt (comes with Ghost Roaster and the Time Twister and Healing Elixir Magical Items)
Pirate Seas (comes with Terrafin and the Ghost Swords and Hidden Treasure Magical Items)
Empire of Ice (comes with Slam Bam and the Sky Iron Shield and Anvil Rain Magical Items)
Dragon's Peak (comes with Sunburn and the Sparx Dragonfly and Winged Boots Magical Items)

They are all worth getting.

Sure if you are crazy obsessive with the toys. : P (Trust me what you spend on Skylanders is pale in comparison to what I spend collecting vintage toys, I am glad I kick that habit and finish with that obsession).

I pick up Dragon's Peak, frankly I am a bit disappointed, it is just a way to unlock already in game contents, and for $19.99 I think it is a bit steep for essentially unlock key with essentially one figure being useful. Good thing I only paid 9.99 for it other wise I might be a bit miff.

Top Bottom