• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 'Skylanders Giants' |OT|

RkOwnage

I really want Ghost Roaster, but apparently it's very rare and I haven't been able to find it for under $30. This is disappointing, these things shouldn't be rare and hard to find already.

Sigh

GameMaster78

Neo Member
What's new in wave 3? Finally found a wham shell at toys r us so my series 1 collection is finally finished.

So far, it's only -

Series 2 Lightning Rod
Series 2 Eruptor
Series 2 Stealth Elf
Series 2 Prism Break
Series 2 Cynder (single pack)
Lightcore Shroomboom

I just thought I'd update everyone on what's going on with my collection. I have built a new shelf for my Giants collection (as I stated before). I still need to paint it (white), hang it on the wall, and sticker it up. However, I thought I'd provide a teaser of what it looks like and what figures are going where.

Before I do that, I just want to give a shout out to someone who is doing something super kind. I didn't get much for Christmas. I've gone through a breakup with my fiancee over the summer and fall, which leaves me next to nothing. However, one person reached out to me, and is offering me one of the Employee Exclusive Prism Breaks. My heart was racing 1000 miles an hour when I got offered that. Needless to say, it only further solidifies how much dedication I need to put into Skylanders. It was a really kind thing of this person to do, and for that, I will be dedicating the rest of my third wall to Giants.

Anyhow, here is the new shelf, unpainted, unstickered, and unhung. Next time a new figure comes out, I plan on updating my collection pics, and I will post everything for all to see, which also includes new merch I've gotten, like some of the Skylanders Mega Bloks and new books.

IMG_0255.jpg

It will look a lot better when hung up, painted, stickered, and has all of the figures on it.

I really want Ghost Roaster, but apparently it's very rare and I haven't been able to find it for under $30. This is disappointing, these things shouldn't be rare and hard to find already.

Sigh

I am just curious if they are still shipping the Adventure Pack because Target still have peg for them, may be just the Empire of Ice?

RoyalFool

Banned
So my kids got a broken Tree Rex figure in their Giants boxset, and I'm having a bit of a nightmare getting it returned. Filled out the return form and made a case, it says it will e-mail me a shipping address but I've only had a generic 'check the status of your case using this link' e-mail. Tried calling but it's a premium rate number and everytime it's "we're very busy right now" and I give up after 15 minutes (costing me more than a new figure at this rate). As I pre-ordered the game and only just opened it at Christmas, I can't return it to Amazon since it's past the 30 day window.

As anybody (in the UK) had to return a figure and know where I actually need to post it to?

(I got them another giant to play with, but the only way to get Tree Rex is with the game unfortunately).

Thanks!

Mikeside

So my kids got a broken Tree Rex figure in their Giants boxset, and I'm having a bit of a nightmare getting it returned. Filled out the return form and made a case, it says it will e-mail me a shipping address but I've only had a generic 'check the status of your case using this link' e-mail. Tried calling but it's a premium rate number and everytime it's "we're very busy right now" and I give up after 15 minutes (costing me more than a new figure at this rate). As I pre-ordered the game and only just opened it at Christmas, I can't return it to Amazon since it's past the 30 day window.

As anybody (in the UK) had to return a figure and know where I actually need to post it to?

(I got them another giant to play with, but the only way to get Tree Rex is with the game unfortunately).

Thanks!

In my experience, if you call/email Amazon and explain, there's every chance they'll sort you out

RoyalFool

Banned
In my experience, if you call/email Amazon and explain, there's every chance they'll sort you out

Thanks, will give that a shot - but I technically purchased it almost 3 months ago despite it just being opened the other day. Activation support seems piss poor so far, weirdly it seems to route from the 0845 number to their US support centre which just plays Skylanders music full whack and never answer, and the website only had an address for sending faulty DVDs to which is in another country :p

Mikeside

Thanks, will give that a shot - but I technically purchased it almost 3 months ago despite it just being opened the other day. Activation support seems piss poor so far, weirdly it seems to route from the 0845 number to their US support centre which just plays Skylanders music full whack and never answer, and the website only had an address for sending faulty DVDs to which is in another country :p

Just let them know it was an xmas present and that's why you only just found out and they'll probably help out - their customer service has always been great with me and gone above & beyond

Zing

Banned
I've had activision replace two of my figures so far. Each time, I just fill out the form on the support site and in a week I received a replacement. I had no other communication other than the package simply arriving at my door.

RoyalFool

Banned
I've had activision replace two of my figures so far. Each time, I just fill out the form on the support site and in a week I received a replacement. I had no other communication other than the package simply arriving at my door.

How did you get the address to send the original to? or am I just assuming that I need to send the original off (it asked for the code underneath the model etc).

GameMaster78

Neo Member
I don't understand why they keep doing that. I see lots of "OT" topics stay in gaming, but this is now the second Skylanders topic that's been moved.

Maybe Gaming is for M-Rated, AAA (although Skylanders is AAA in my books) titles only, which would be pretty sad in my opinion.

So far, it's only -

Series 2 Lightning Rod
Series 2 Eruptor
Series 2 Stealth Elf
Series 2 Prism Break
Series 2 Cynder (single pack)
Lightcore Shroomboom

IMG_0255.jpg

It will look a lot better when hung up, painted, stickered, and has all of the figures on it.

I will have to keep an eye out for light ore shroom boom. Was gonna suggest putting some glass to enclose the front and put some led lighting in there. Maybe section it off by element and light it with the elements colors with different colored LEDs.

GameMaster78

Neo Member
Yeah, I would like to do the whole LED thing. These are temp shelves, until I can build my own house, and have a game room built inside that house. I would have the builders build a huuuuuuuge shelf for Skylanders stuff. I will keep the LED thing in mind for that one, pending there are LED colors for each of the element's colors.

hoos30

This game is a god send. Co-op is so much fun to play with my 7 yo daughter; no more fucking trips to the American Girl store for me!

Zing

Banned
How did you get the address to send the original to? or am I just assuming that I need to send the original off (it asked for the code underneath the model etc).
Non-legendary figures are a "no return needed" item. A replacement is sent for free.

suikodan

I just bought this game (Giants) today. It was 50$ instead of 75$ so I wanted to jump in and see what the fuzz is all about.

1st thing, my 3yo son jumped on the Tree Rex character right away and I did play a bit with him. So far the game is fun.

However, I have a question about the WiiU version, I don't want to play with the GamePad, only with two Wiimote/Nunchuks. How can I go and "disable" the Gamepad for this game?

Thanks!

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
My 4 year old daughter got it for Christmas and loves it. She really likes Hex and Cyndar the best, and is existed to get Ninjini for her birthday next year. Its pretty fun to play and its definitely up her alley in terms of interaction.

GameMaster78

Neo Member
I just bought this game (Giants) today. It was 50$ instead of 75$ so I wanted to jump in and see what the fuzz is all about.

1st thing, my 3yo son jumped on the Tree Rex character right away and I did play a bit with him. So far the game is fun.

However, I have a question about the WiiU version, I don't want to play with the GamePad, only with two Wiimote/Nunchuks. How can I go and "disable" the Gamepad for this game?

Thanks!

I maybe try controller settings. I've never tried to see if you could just play with Wiimote and Nunchucks. I think there is an option to choose which controller to play with, though. I will check tomorrow, if you haven't figured it out, and report any findings in order to help you.

suikodan

I maybe try controller settings. I've never tried to see if you could just play with Wiimote and Nunchucks. I think there is an option to choose which controller to play with, though. I will check tomorrow, if you haven't figured it out, and report any findings in order to help you.

I already did check in-game and I haven't seen anything like it. I saw somewhere else though where the guy would take the Gamepad out of range and turn on the console so that the Gamepad stays off and then use only Wiimote. I will try that but a better solution would be nice as well.

GameMaster78

Neo Member
Exactly. There is a method to play with just a controller or wiimote+nun chuck, but it requires the gamepad controller going dead or out of range to where you can turn it off without turning off the Wii U.

Sleepy

Hi, all. My nephew is insanely into this game, but I cannot seem to find some Giants/Regulars no matter where I look. Do these things go out of production, or do they have a small production run? I don't want to pay double for these things... what is the best time/place to get them? Oh, and has the Whale giant been released yet? Or is there a release schedule anywhere?

Thanks.

GameMaster78

Neo Member
There is no release schedule. However, what figures are you trying to find?

These figures are out and about, currently -

Skylanders -

Pop Fizz
Chill
Fright Rider
Sprocket
Flashwing
Shroomboom (included in the Dragonfire Canon Battle Pack

Series 2 -

Double Trouble
Terrafin
Bash
Prism Break
Slam Bam
Gill Grunt
Ignitor
Flameslinger
Eruptor
Trigger Happy
Drill Sergeant
Cynder
Chop Chop (included in the Dragonfire Canon Battle Pack)
Hex
Whirlwind
Sonic Boom
Lightning Rod
Zook
Stump Smash
Stealth Elf

Lightcore -

Prism Break
Eruptor
Drobot
Jet-Vac
Shroomboom

Giants -

Crusher
Hot Head
Bouncer
Swarm

Legendary Skylanders -

Legendary Bouncer
Legendary Ignitor, Slam Bam, Jet-Vac (in a triple pack)
Legendary Stealth Elf

You can find all but Hot Head fairly easily. Infact, when I looked at toysrus.com last night, all of these characters, minus Hot Head and Lightcore Shroomboom, were instock.

Sleepy

You can find all but Hot Head fairly easily. Infact, when I looked at toysrus.com last night, all of these characters, minus Hot Head and Lightcore Shroomboom, were instock.

I guess I should have picked up Hot Head. Saw it today at Best Buy; will it come back in stock? The Whale Giant is his most wanted. Thanks for this list.

EDIT: So if I see a new Giant I should just buy it?

:( How was you guys' Christmas otherwise?

Excellent thanks, hope yours was too!

My son actually took it amazingly well. Having the iPad with us and Lego LOTR to play on the Xbox helped a bit.

He now has:

Tree Rex
Bouncer
Granite Crusher
Swarm
Hot Head

Sprocket
Flashwing
Fright Rider

Legendary Ignitor
Legendary Slam Bam
Legendary Jet-Vac
Legendary Stealth Elf

LightCore Prism Break
LightCore Jet-Vac

Crusher and Legendary Bouncer are in storage for good work at school.

We're avoiding all Series 2, plus characters that have a LightCore version coming out as we're buying that instead (because the character is better in game). Don't plan on picking up LightCore Drobot or Eruptor either as the physical LC effect is crap.

GameMaster78

Neo Member
Excellent thanks, hope yours was too!

My son actually took it amazingly well. Having the iPad with us and Lego LOTR to play on the Xbox helped a bit.

He now has:

Tree Rex
Bouncer
Granite Crusher
Swarm
Hot Head

Sprocket
Flashwing
Fright Rider

Legendary Ignitor
Legendary Slam Bam
Legendary Jet-Vac
Legendary Stealth Elf

LightCore Prism Break
LightCore Jet-Vac

Crusher and Legendary Bouncer are in storage for good work at school.

We're avoiding all Series 2, plus characters that have a LightCore version coming out as we're buying that instead (because the character is better in game). Don't plan on picking up LightCore Drobot or Eruptor either as the physical LC effect is crap.

Awesome. Looks like he got quite the haul. LEGO Lord of the Rings FTW! That game is awesome.

Shroomboom's Lighting is awesome. Outside of Prism Break, it seems the Skylanders with the best lighting, are ones from Giants. Eruptor is definitely better than Drobot, but not as bright as Prism Break.

neoemonk

I don't understand why they keep doing that. I see lots of "OT" topics stay in gaming, but this is now the second Skylanders topic that's been moved.

Maybe Gaming is for M-Rated, AAA (although Skylanders is AAA in my books) titles only, which would be pretty sad in my opinion.

OTs have specific rules concerning their lifespans. They can't be made until a certain time prior to the release of a game, and after a certain amount of time (I want to say a month after release but I'm not 100% on that) they get moved to gaming community.

GameMaster78

Neo Member
OTs have specific rules concerning their lifespans. They can't be made until a certain time prior to the release of a game, and after a certain amount of time (I want to say a month after release but I'm not 100% on that) they get moved to gaming community.

Thanks for the clarification.

I finished my shelf, everyone, and hung it up. I won't be posting new pics of my walls, until a better camera comes in the house. The last one got broke somehow, so just waiting for a new one.

I will show everyone the shelf, though. Soon, look forward to new pics (when new characters arrive a new camera SHOULD be in the house).

I now have THREE FULL WALLS dedicated to Skylanders. Yikes.

Here is the shelf.

IMGP0221.jpg

Just wait until new figures come in, and I get the new camera in. You guys are going to see some serious stuff.

GameMaster78

Neo Member
You caught the Skylanders bug. It's a fun game, though, especially if you played old school games like Gauntlet Legends/Dark Legacy.

RkOwnage

Working on completing Spyro's adventure set, wondering if anyone knew of any place I could snag the following for relatively cheap:

Warnado
Voodood
Wham shell
Zap

Bonethug

This weeks Gamestop ad has a picture of the Scorpion Striker Battle Pack which appears to include Zap and Hot Dog. It has a Gamestop Exclusive sticker on it. I am not sure if they have a special gold edition for this Battle Pack which makes it exclusive or if it is just a timed exclusive.

Instore release date is 1/11/13 and online is 1/9/13.

Sora_N

Working on completing Spyro's adventure set, wondering if anyone knew of any place I could snag the following for relatively cheap:

Warnado
Voodood
Wham shell
Zap

I found a Voodood right before Christmas, and don't need it anymore. Cost me $9.99+tax, and I'm in Canada. It's still sealed.

Really hoping that Punch Pop Fizz, Gnarly Tree Rex and Royal Double Trouble end up being released as singles like Dark Spyro in the UK. It surely makes sense towards the end of the cycle (I can live in hope).

GameMaster78

Neo Member
Here's what I dread, and what would backfire on me.

I bought 5 of each character for the first game, everyone knows that. 3 for me, 2 for my kids.

In Giants, I buy 4 of each. 3 for me, 1 for my kids to share. So far, there are 4 of every character, minus the "Special" Flameslinger and Fright Rider. So, that means I even have 4 Gnarly Tree Rex figures.

So, what am I worried about? Well, let's say Toys for Bob decides to make Scarlet Ninjini, Jade Flashwing, Molten Hot Dog, or Polar Whirlwind convention exclusives. I would not only not be able to get 4 of each, but getting just 1 would cost me an arm and a leg.

I certainly hope they keep ingame variants available as store exclusives, or available at mass retail, because that's not fair to everyone who may be waiting for those characters. Some may think Scarlet Ninjini is better looking than Ninjini, so Little Timmy asks for that one. If it's a convention exclusive, Little Timmy was just pee'd on. Not only him of course, but those of us Skylander fans who invested in 3-4 of each character assuming getting 3-4 of every upcoming character would be a matter of finding them at the store.

I hope to God - no I beg - that Toys for Bob doesn't make the remaining 4 ingame variants available at conventions us Skylander fans can't gain access to. If they want to do what they did with Metallic Plum Cynder, Pearl Hex, or Chrome Spyro, fine. Those didn't show up ingame as the colors they were painted. However, to make ingame characters that are out of reach, thus making it so people can't fully complete a collection, is just wrong... in my opinion.

Not saying it will happen, as my current theory is the remaining 4 might be a Best Buy, Toys R Us, Walmart, and Target exclusive, or perhaps one will be a Gamestop exclusive and just remove one of the first four I listed. To say it's not in my mind, though, that the possibility is there that they could be convention exclusive, would be me lying. I just hope it isn't, because then my whole buying 4 of every Giant character was nothing more than wasted money.

RkOwnage

Couple of pick ups for me today:

WhamShell via Toys R Us display
Pop Fizz
Fright Rider

all I am missing from original now is:
Zap
Voodood
Terrafin (got a gamestop holding the pack for me to come pick up tomorrow hopefully)

Hooray!

GameMaster78

Neo Member
Couple of pick ups for me today:

WhamShell via Toys R Us display
Pop Fizz
Fright Rider

all I am missing from original now is:
Zap
Voodood
Terrafin (got a gamestop holding the pack for me to come pick up tomorrow hopefully)

Hooray!

Series 1 Zap may be an issue, but you can order Voodood at toysrus.com right now.

I would say the best way to get Zap, is to go to Sam's Club. They sell backpacks there (at least someone on another forum stated they still do) for like 20 bucks. In each backpack, is a random Triple Pack. You can kinda unzip the backpack a little, just enough to make out which Triple Pack it is. One of the Triple Packs is the Zap/Hex/Dino-Rang Triple Pack.

Good luck.

GameMaster78

Neo Member
They didn't sell him individually? And I don't have a Sam's Club membership :(

They did, but single pack Zaps haven't been seen since the Warnado/Camo wave (wave 5).

Now, you can only hope to find him in either one of the backpacks I mentioned, or by sheer luck at a store that still has old stock. :(

If you're wanting Zap Series 1, specifically to have an entire Series 1 set, it will cost a bit. However, if you're just wanting Zap, Series 2 Zap (which also works on the first game) will be in the Scorpion Striker Battle Pack, which is a Gamestop exclusive for 30 days and releases on the 11th of this month. That pack also includes Hot Dog, the final Newlander.

You can preorder it on Gamestop.com or in stores.

RkOwnage

Yeah I preordered it yesterday, so I am going to go with that one for now, and maybe down the road I can find a Zap somewhere, as it's the only original one I am missing now.

Sora_N

Yeah I preordered it yesterday, so I am going to go with that one for now, and maybe down the road I can find a Zap somewhere, as it's the only original one I am missing now.

Hmm I was about to say S2 looks better, but looked at the pic, pretty fugly (but not that bad) compared to S1. Money saved. Both toys aren't that great though.

They still sell the old 3-pack with Zap, Dinorang and Hex here (Brazil). There is plenty of them around (plus I work for the distribution company). Not sure if the Zap single pack was available here (my company currentely does not list it, I have to check the stores). However the price here is quite high (it would be around US$ 45-50 for the triple pack, plus shipping) so you may found it cheaper on ebay...

Edited: found out that the single pack Zap was limited available here. We do not carry it anymore, but some stores still have it (price around US$ 25).

RkOwnage

I bought the 3 pack with Warnado and Camo in it yesterday, thinking I Didn't have Warnado, which I do, so i am going to return it to a diff Toys R Us today, and see what they have available. I may pick up some of the Giants I don't have, (only have Hot Head/tree that came w/ Giants) so, I don't know. Will go with Series 2 Zap for now, but maybe down the road I can find one.

What's funny is I haven't even started playing the games yet. I am still finishing Skyrim DLC and my friend suckered me into Far Cry 3 multiplayer so now I am gonna go through the SP campaign because I'm OCD like that, but I have sworn off playing anything else after so I can start Skylanders. Also, the 3DS versions, are they worth it? I've heard mixed opinions on them, but I considered it because I play my 3DS a HELL of a lot more than I used to.

Sora_N

I bought the 3 pack with Warnado and Camo in it yesterday, thinking I Didn't have Warnado, which I do, so i am going to return it to a diff Toys R Us today, and see what they have available. I may pick up some of the Giants I don't have, (only have Hot Head/tree that came w/ Giants) so, I don't know. Will go with Series 2 Zap for now, but maybe down the road I can find one.

What's funny is I haven't even started playing the games yet. I am still finishing Skyrim DLC and my friend suckered me into Far Cry 3 multiplayer so now I am gonna go through the SP campaign because I'm OCD like that, but I have sworn off playing anything else after so I can start Skylanders. Also, the 3DS versions, are they worth it? I've heard mixed opinions on them, but I considered it because I play my 3DS a HELL of a lot more than I used to.

The 3DS ones are ok, but I didn't like the first 3DS game enough to buy Giants. Punch Pop Fizz also doesn't interest me, I bought the first 3DS one for Dark Spyro mainly.

Also don't feel bad, I don't even own Giants...I just have the figures lol. (I split a copy of the game with my gf, so I don't own the game myself and it's at her house. We haven't finished the campaign yet lol)

RkOwnage

The 3DS ones are ok, but I didn't like the first 3DS game enough to buy Giants. Punch Pop Fizz also doesn't interest me, I bought the first 3DS one for Dark Spyro mainly.

Also don't feel bad, I don't even own Giants...I just have the figures lol. (I split a copy of the game with my gf, so I don't own the game myself and it's at her house. We haven't finished the campaign yet lol)

Yeah I bought the original game with the intention of trying it out, and before I knew it, I owned half of the first damn set. Craziness indeed. I ended up buying Giants when Target had it on sale for 49.99, and I found a Hot Head there, luckily, as I've heard he's quite rare and hard to find.

Also, was wondering why it seems Toys R Us mostly gets first dibs on the majority of the Skylanders, do they have some deal with Activision/TFB? I am near 2 TRU, so it doesn't matter really, was just wondering why they seem to be the preferred retailer.

Sora_N

Yeah I bought the original game with the intention of trying it out, and before I knew it, I owned half of the first damn set. Craziness indeed. I ended up buying Giants when Target had it on sale for 49.99, and I found a Hot Head there, luckily, as I've heard he's quite rare and hard to find.

Also, was wondering why it seems Toys R Us mostly gets first dibs on the majority of the Skylanders, do they have some deal with Activision/TFB? I am near 2 TRU, so it doesn't matter really, was just wondering why they seem to be the preferred retailer.

I used to work at TRU in Canada, I was told from my Assistant Director that TRU paid for a larger cut of the stock so they either get things first, or get more of it.

Top Bottom