• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 'Skylanders Giants' |OT|

I'm not really surprised. I knew it was inevitable but I still find it appalling, especially with a kids' franchise. I feel sorry for the parents out there who will have a harder time simply saying "We'll take this one in moderation" while their kids feel they absolutely need every new figure.

Surprise? No. Disgust? Yes. And I think we've earned the right to be disgusted by the shameless milking since we've spent hundreds being dedicated fans to the series over the last two years.

This. I knew Activision will milk this cow up to its death, but I foolish expected that they keep it reasonable and really improve the game. None is happening. Even with the guitar based game the investment was that high.

fernoca

Just played 'The Tar Pits' level on the 3DS verison of Gaints, and darn..quite impressed not only on a gameplay standpoint (lots of jumping, platforms collapsing, etc.); but visually too (nice lighting and effects, plus great texture-work). Music was great too.

Random video I found online of it.

I received (S2) Hex today, so I'm currently playing with Hex and Hot Dog since those are the two main ones I wanted. Guess having figurines I actually wanted added to the experience too (heck, the elemental gates were fire/undead based in that particular level too).

Zing

Banned
Nothing wrong with Ninjini being on eBay. Now, people all over the world have a chance to get it instead of a select few who happen to live near New York City. It doesn't hurt me or my enjoyment of the game. Personally, I will wait and buy it for $15, but I don't care if others buy it for more.

GameMaster78

Neo Member
Yeah, I was just being sarcastic, really. I am a bit disappointed by it, but she will be around in time. I just wish it was a nationwide - one day - event at all TRU's.

I do wish I had me one of those Toy Fair Chop Chops, though. Love blue, and my son was flipping out when he saw it.

So, with Swap Force being announced, looks like Acti"Visions" (HA GET IT) is getting a crapload of money from me.

Why? Well, it's time to go above and beyond getting 4 of each character like I do.

See, I want to display all 256 variations of Swaplanders one day. That means I would have to buy 17 of all Swaplanders. 16 of each to display with 16 parts, and 1 to keep sealed for my future house, which will be much bigger.

The only aspect of that, that would suck, is ActiVisions might not make stickers for each variant of character. So, if Stink Bomb can become Stink Blast, we may not get a sticker for Stink Blast. I think it would be an excellent idea, if they somehow made stickers for each Swaplanders alternate names, so if people did do what I am about to do, they could display them with their alternate names.

Yeah, I was just being sarcastic, really. I am a bit disappointed by it, but she will be around in time. I just wish it was a nationwide - one day - event at all TRU's.

I do wish I had me one of those Toy Fair Chop Chops, though. Love blue, and my son was flipping out when he saw it.

So, with Swap Force being announced, looks like Acti"Visions" (HA GET IT) is getting a crapload of money from me.

Why? Well, it's time to go above and beyond getting 4 of each character like I do.

See, I want to display all 256 variations of Swaplanders one day. That means I would have to buy 17 of all Swaplanders. 16 of each to display with 16 parts, and 1 to keep sealed for my future house, which will be much bigger.

The only aspect of that, that would suck, is ActiVisions might not make stickers for each variant of character. So, if Stink Bomb can become Stink Blast, we may not get a sticker for Stink Blast. I think it would be an excellent idea, if they somehow made stickers for each Swaplanders alternate names, so if people did do what I am about to do, they could display them with their alternate names.

I am still processing the amount of money you will spend in this franchise.

I am not criticizing you in any way, collecting stuff is always an expensive hobby, but I have to say that this 256 variations to display astonished me.

GameMaster78

Neo Member
It will be interesting to say the least. However, my motives for doing this with Skylanders are just.

See, not only does Skylanders have that Gauntlet feel to it, and I miss arcades, but it also could be part of a dying breed.

What breed do I talk about? Physical gaming could be dying. One day, the industry wants to make everything download only, which leaves little room for something like Skylanders.

I refuse to digitally buy anything. Skylanders, in my eyes, are physical DLC. I support physical objects for my hard earned money, and these are unlimited use.

One day, when everyone will pop out their iPhones/Pads, or download stuff onto the Xbox 1440, or PS5, I can retire from gaming with thousands of physical video games, systems, and neat prephirals like Skylanders, Steel Battallion, Guitar Hero, DJ Hero, Eye of Judgment, and a few others.

One day, gaming as we know it, won't exist. All physical innovation will be lost, in order for corporations to get 100% profits. That's when I am done with gaming, and will just sit on what I own until I die.

RkOwnage

.........No words.

BooJoh

That's between $3000-$4000 for Swap figures alone. Plus they'll take up a ton of room.

Just curious, is your wife still cool with your collection at this point?

Zing

Banned
You must have your family held in some Waco style compound for them to not leave or have you committed if you are being serious.

Katzii

Managed to luck out and order Thumpback and Eyebrawl from Game.co.uk last night, although I'm disappointed to be ordering figures online because the paint jobs this time around are pretty shoddy and I like to choose the best of the worst.

Just need Lightcore Shroomboom and then I have this wave and can wait for the next, however long that takes.

Zing

Banned
All my local stores are now constantly stocked with wave three. Mission accomplished from Activision this time around. Ironically, it is now Bouncer that people seem to want.

This is what my Walmart looks like now:
8451514666_8f940375e2.jpg

Now we just need Hot Dog in Canada.

GameMaster78

Neo Member
LOL, Fern.

And grats, Zing. I sent Orca a Hot Dog pack from the states. If you want, I can keep an eye out for you and get one if you need one?

Katzii

We picked up Eyebrawl from Game, but I'm waiting until ASDA get Wave 3 before buying the others as they're the cheapest Skylanders retailer.

Our ASDA don't get Skylanders and our GAME seems quite terrible at stocking them. I'm hoping our local Tesco may get Lightcore Shroomboom so I don't have that one to worry about, and I'm assuming that's all the new characters from Wave 3 (asides from my aforementioned Thumpback and Eyebrawl gains)?

Sora_N

No one told me LC Shroombroom was so lame. Can't believe only the stupid mushroom lights up, the way they painted him makes him look toasted too. I already have the battle pack, so I might pass on Shroombroom for now, even though I wanted all the LCs previously.

Our ASDA don't get Skylanders and our GAME seems quite terrible at stocking them. I'm hoping our local Tesco may get Lightcore Shroomboom so I don't have that one to worry about, and I'm assuming that's all the new characters from Wave 3 (asides from my aforementioned Thumpback and Eyebrawl gains)?

Can you collect at store from your ASDA? That's how I get mine, although my local do stock them on the shelf too. Failing that I'll probably grab them from Tesco too.

That Molten Hot Dog looks terrible. I had high hopes for that figure, but the paint job is ugh.

BooJoh

No one told me LC Shroombroom was so lame. Can't believe only the stupid mushroom lights up, the way they painted him makes him look toasted too. I already have the battle pack, so I might pass on Shroombroom for now, even though I wanted all the LCs previously.

His eye lights up too.

sxbiXvYl.jpg

Sora_N

Ah okay, I guess it's hard to see it clearly in the store with the lights on. I'll probably put him back on my list. Thanks. :p

GameMaster78

Neo Member
His lighting is quite good, actually.

It seems the Newlander Lightcores have the best lighting, and in multiple spots. I am skeptical about Lightcore Chill, though, but we'll see.

Katzii

His eye lights up too, Sora.

Already beaten by four hours.

Can you collect at store from your ASDA? That's how I get mine, although my local do stock them on the shelf too. Failing that I'll probably grab them from Tesco too.

That Molten Hot Dog looks terrible. I had high hopes for that figure, but the paint job is ugh.

I don't think I can; unfortunately, it's only a pokey little store and it's a good 12 miles away; hardly worth the trip.

Speaking of Hot Dog, GAME have put the Scorpion Striker pack with him, Zap and some battle piece on their website for order. What do the battle pieces actually do? I didn't bite on the cannon since I am looking to get Lightcore Shroom Boom.

GAME also appear to be doing a three-for-two on Skylanders, and Tesco are, too.

Underdog

Neo Member
All my local stores are now constantly stocked with wave three. Mission accomplished from Activision this time around. Ironically, it is now Bouncer that people seem to want.

This is what my Walmart looks like now:
8451514666_8f940375e2.jpg

Now we just need Hot Dog in Canada.

Nice to see them showing up in stores. Spent 2-3 hours per day for almost 2 weeks trying to get Thumpback and Eyebrawl for my kid's birthday. Found a Gamestop that said they were only getting 2 of each in each shipment, but told me to call in the morning and if they came in they would hold for 30 minutes. Scored both Giants, and managed to find LC ShroomBoom at the local Target.

Still have a few characters in the stash to give as Valentines (and maybe Easter) presents for them.

Haven't been to a store looking for characters since last Wednesday!

Underdog

Neo Member
Wow, tons of Ninjini figures on Ebay. Way to tailor to the scalpers there. Wonder when us other fans will get the honor of buying it, because you know... we may actually want to play with it.

Fan appreciation seems more like scalper appreciation event in my eyes.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=skylanders+ninjini&_sop=10

Good for these scalpers.....they really only serve make eBay (and PayPal) even more money!

I was tempted to sell my Glitter Hot Head, but decided it was worth holding onto. I see in your previous posts that it isn't considered a variant because it may or may not show up differently in the game. Mine does show up as Special Hot Head.

GameMaster78

Neo Member
Which version of the game are you playing Underdog?

Sometimes they show up in certain versions as Special, while not in other versions.

Underdog

Neo Member
Which version of the game are you playing Underdog?

Sometimes they show up in certain versions as Special, while not in other versions.

Xbox 360.

We also have it for the Wii and the kid just got the 3DS game, but I haven't tried it on either of those.

Actually haven't shown the kid this one, didn't want to risk it getting damaged ;)

Will try it on the Wii the next time the kids are out of the house.....but I have no idea how the 3DS works (new Xmas toy!).

I actually showed him your collection and he is very jealous.

He wanted to know when I was going to take him to a Toy Fair so he could get the special figures. Or if I could get a job with Toys For Bob!

He started looking around on eBay and found some the variants. Told his grandparents that he wanted Flocked Tree Stump and Blue Bash for his birthday...."you can find them on eBay, but they are a couple hundred dollars!"

Yep, keep wishing son, keep wishing!

GameMaster78

Neo Member
It's the sad part of the variants for Skylanders. Hasbro has a good plan in use for their Marvel Universe figures. Variants are obscure, but if one checks a couple of stores, they WILL find them.

If TFB would do the same with their variants, maybe we wouldn't have to pay hundreds on Ebay.

I bought all but a few on Ebay, which are mainly the variants sent in assortments, to various stores.

They need to make more of the variants and make them obscure, not impossible to find, so store employees will stop snatching them before they hit the floor.

If they took a Hasbro approach, a lot of us would have a better shot at variant Skylanders.

Orca

Checked out a bunch of places on Saturday while driving around doing other things. None of the new ones at any of the stores I checked in Edmonton. None at all in Lloydminster aside from a Spyro's Adventure version of Cynder at the Superstore. No new ones at Wainwright's Walmart, but a ton of the old ruby Drill Sergeant and glow in the dark Sonic Boom.

Here's Tyson intently checking out the supply of starter packs for some reason.

vZ0Dy7b.jpg

Really disappointed at the distribution efforts. I'd love to get the kids a new one, but outside of going on eBay it seems like there's no way to accomplish that. Can't buy individual figures on Futureshop or Best Buy, and Toys R Us has none of the new ones listed online, and paying someone like GM78 additional shipping makes me hesitant to go that route because of the 'soon as I do it, they'll finally show up here' feeling lol

I'm not surprised they were overwhelmed by the demand at the start of the first game, but I'm shocked they haven't caught up on it at this point of the second game's release and that inability to catch up really doesn't bode well for the future.

GameMaster78

Neo Member
Did you receive your Hot Dog Battle Pack yet, Orca?

Like I said, I have an Eye Brawl and Thumpback just chillin in my closet. If you want them, let me know. Shipping costs suck, but it could be worse, what with those stupid Ebay prices. :(

Orca

Did you receive your Hot Dog Battle Pack yet, Orca?

Like I said, I have an Eye Brawl and Thumpback just chillin in my closet. If you want them, let me know. Shipping costs suck, but it could be worse, what with those stupid Ebay prices. :(
Not yet, should be this week. I'll keep the others in mind. One day soon I'll snap and message you lol

DeVeAn

Been watching this for a while and I think I want in. Couple quick questions

1. Which version is best (Want PC but, Giants isn't on PC?)

2. What is the best way to start?

Amneisac

I'm going to piggyback here and ask the same questions and add: I didn't go with the PC version because I read it's M+KB only, so I bought the xbox 360 version of Spyro's Adventure Starter's Pack for $39.99 on Amazon. If my wife and I like it I'll get Giants Starter's Pack on Wii U.

My question is, how important are the 'extra areas' that you access by having Skylanders of the different elements? Is it something I can skip? Here's what I'm figuring:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ArBmr_eCewYZdFBodGkzNHc1ZWxzU1A2cjBWV2g5MEE&usp=sharing

This would be what I would have that would work on Giants and then eventually Swap Force if we REALLY get into it. Is there any reason for me to buy more Skylanders for playing Spyro's? Should I just worry about getting the "Fire" and "Earth" elements that I'll be lacking for Giants/Swap Force?

I feel like my wife would love Hot Dog, so I might try to pick him up, but as I understand it that wouldn't work in Spyro's Adventure. Basically, I'm doing this more for the games than the toys so I want to experience as much of the games as possible, and not get raked over the coals with having to buy $100 in toys to access the other areas.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.

All version are just upressed Wii games and look like crap, this will finally change with Swap Force.

Underdog

Neo Member
I'm going to piggyback here and ask the same questions and add: I didn't go with the PC version because I read it's M+KB only, so I bought the xbox 360 version of Spyro's Adventure Starter's Pack for $39.99 on Amazon. If my wife and I like it I'll get Giants Starter's Pack on Wii U.

My question is, how important are the 'extra areas' that you access by having Skylanders of the different elements? Is it something I can skip? Here's what I'm figuring:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ArBmr_eCewYZdFBodGkzNHc1ZWxzU1A2cjBWV2g5MEE&usp=sharing

This would be what I would have that would work on Giants and then eventually Swap Force if we REALLY get into it. Is there any reason for me to buy more Skylanders for playing Spyro's? Should I just worry about getting the "Fire" and "Earth" elements that I'll be lacking for Giants/Swap Force?

I feel like my wife would love Hot Dog, so I might try to pick him up, but as I understand it that wouldn't work in Spyro's Adventure. Basically, I'm doing this more for the games than the toys so I want to experience as much of the games as possible, and not get raked over the coals with having to buy $100 in toys to access the other areas.

My understanding is you'll really just need 1 from each element to be able to fully complete the game.....and 1 Giant for the Giant game.

Spryo's characters will all work in the Giants game.

I play Giants with just a couple of characters (primarily GITD Sonic Boom and LC Drobot, plus picked up Spyro and a couple loose figures on eBay). If I need a Giant (or another element) I just grab one from the kid's stash and do what is needed. Works great when you need to open the area in the ship to get the extra coins/gems for a quick upgrade.

For the special elemental areas, you only need the character to enter the area, then you can switch back.

Of course by using my kid's characters, I don't get credit for them in game, so I'll likely never get the medal for having all characters. I think you can change ownership later, but not sure if both get credit? I accidentally put my son's Punch Pop Fizz on my game, then noticed it didn't show up for him until he took ownership. Haven't gone back into mine to see if it is still there.

Actually wondering if there are people out there that buy a character, take it home and put in on the portal, then return it?

Amneisac

Thanks, Underdog, that helps.

Are the special elemental areas actually in any way worth buying a character though? You can actually "beat" the game with what comes in the starter kits, right?

I mean is the gameplay I'll get out of having access to one of those areas worth ~$10? Just putting it in terms of DLC, that seems a little steep, obviously I realize there's a collectability aspect to the toys and that will inflate the cost a little bit, but if I'm getting into this solely to have a fun co-op game for my wife and me to play is there any reason to shell out for the extra elements?

Katzii

Got my Thumpback and Eye-Brawl in the mail today; paint jobs are actually pretty super. Loving Thumpback's figure. Waiting for my Scorpion Strike pack now.

Zing

Banned
The elemental areas in Giants are not worth the money unless you really want to 100% the game. I found them to be fun in Spyro's Adventure, though. They are rather boring in Giants.

BooJoh

What I would probably do (assuming you don't care which characters you end up with) is buy a S:SA starter pack and a Giants starter pack.

S:SA Starter Pack + Giants Starter Pack =
1 x Magic (Spyro)
1 x Water (Gill Grunt)
1 x Tech (Trigger Happy)
1 x Life/Giant (Tree Rex)
1 x Air (Jet-Vac)
1 x Undead (S2 Cynder)

At that point you're just short one Fire and one Earth to access every story area in the first two games.

Bear in mind that Swap Force is adding a new mechanic though, based on the swap characters' movement type, wherein players will need at least 8 of the new swap characters to access every area of that game, in addition to needing one of each element (and possibly one giant if they still have giant areas.)

Also note that each green-base character will add a heroic challenge to S:SA and each orange-base character will add a heroic challenge to Giants. Heroic Challenges are small levels where you're given like 2-5 minutes to complete a goal in order to gain a small but permanent boost to one stat for the character you beat it with.

Amneisac

What I would probably do (assuming you don't care which characters you end up with) is buy a S:SA starter pack and a Giants starter pack.

S:SA Starter Pack + Giants Starter Pack =
1 x Magic (Spyro)
1 x Water (Gill Grunt)
1 x Tech (Trigger Happy)
1 x Life/Giant (Tree Rex)
1 x Air (Jet-Vac)
1 x Undead (S2 Cynder)

At that point you're just short one Fire and one Earth to access every story area in the first two games.

Bear in mind that Swap Force is adding a new mechanic though, based on the swap characters' movement type, wherein players will need at least 8 of the new swap characters to access every area of that game, in addition to needing one of each element (and possibly one giant if they still have giant areas.)

Also note that each green-base character will add a heroic challenge to S:SA and each orange-base character will add a heroic challenge to Giants. Heroic Challenges are small levels where you're given like 2-5 minutes to complete a goal in order to gain a small but permanent boost to one stat for the character you beat it with.

I had understood that the Skylanders from the Giants starter pack would not work with Spyro's Adventure, was I wrong about that? Tree Rex definitely won't work, right? I also assumed the Jet Vac and Cynder were in the same boat.

What you're suggesting is what I've done though, I bought the 360 version of Spyro's Adventure for $39.99 off Amazon, and I bought Giants Starter Pack for $54.99 for Wii U off Amazon. So I'm in about $100 right now, (I had $50 in gift cards, but still I'll count is as $94.99 actual money spent) so in Giants I'll have most of the elements, but not in Spyro's if I can't use the ones from Giants in the first game.

Do I only need the one Giant or are there other Giant-only areas that require someone other than Tree Rex?

Underdog

Neo Member
Thanks, Underdog, that helps.

Are the special elemental areas actually in any way worth buying a character though? You can actually "beat" the game with what comes in the starter kits, right?

I mean is the gameplay I'll get out of having access to one of those areas worth ~$10? Just putting it in terms of DLC, that seems a little steep, obviously I realize there's a collectability aspect to the toys and that will inflate the cost a little bit, but if I'm getting into this solely to have a fun co-op game for my wife and me to play is there any reason to shell out for the extra elements?

Worth is entirely up to you.

Yes, you can finish the game with what comes in the starter kit - I suppose with Giants you really just need a Giant.....although I imagine you'd get frustrated and quick if playing with Tree-Rex (super slow!). My kids "finished" the game in a fairly short amount of time, but I believe the game reports them at 34% complete......my 7 year old doesn't grasp the concept of exploring and getting the 3 stars.....nor does he understand how to pick and choose his battles......so he really needs as many characters as possible! Luckily my older son does and that makes for some "quality" bonding time.

I'm only on chapter 8 or 9 and 30+% finished, with 2 stars on each chapter, but I've played each chapter several times just to level up my characters and max out my upgrades.

I would actually like to "complete" the game, but I've found it seems impossible with some of the characters......1 requirement is to finish a chapter in under a certain time. That's just impossible with some of the slower characters. I've gone back with level 15 characters, avoiding any coins and any unnecessary fighting and still been over 1 min past the limit.

Honestly, the game has a decent story and the game play is decent. It's a good time waster for me and a way to wind down after everybody has gone to bed.

Looks like I'm approaching around 70 figures, so it is a little startling to look back and figure out how much I've spent on the game! I think the characters look cool, so I can understand the collectible thing.

Buying every one that comes out can be pricey.....can't even begin to imagine what GM78 has invested with 4 of everything! Wish the characters would go back to the $8 price range, but honestly, I've spent/wasted money on worse things.....have an attic full of "collectible" Beanie Babies to prove it! ;)

If you do some searching and get lucky, you can get the starter kits at a reasonable price. A few weeks ago Target had the Giants portal owner kits for $30, and Spyro's Adventure for $40. I was able to pick up the Giants starter kit for $50, and routinely see them on Craigslist for that price. Also nabbed Spyro's for xbox360 (with green Gill Grunt) on eBay for right around $40. Only wanted the game disc, but had trouble finding that for under $30, so for an extra $10 I'll take the extra portal and figures. Might actually hook the portal up to my PC to play the online game.

I guess my advice would be to ask around and figure out which characters are really worth playing with. My son loves Sunburn, and he seems fairly fast and strong. I've heard that Wham-Shell is an absolute beast when leveled up, but have yet to find him at a reasonable price.

AgentP

I guess my advice would be to ask around and figure out which characters are really worth playing with. My son loves Sunburn, and he seems fairly fast and strong. I've heard that Wham-Shell is an absolute beast when leveled up, but have yet to find him at a reasonable price.

Those are two characters that I would put on the bottom of my list. Over powered charactes have somehting special or combine speed with range, so thye don't get . Guys who have to stand and hit at point black are generally the worst, they die fast in nightmare mode.

We find these guys the best:

Double Trouble: Does not have to face his victims and can hit three at once. Also has good AE and auto-bombs.

Sonic Boom: Can attack without ever going near victims with baby birds. She can take out baddies as long as you can keep her away, and she can fly fast.

Terafin: Can burrow, making him immune to damage while hurting them with his fin. Also has a great AE when he pops out. His burrowing also does not slide on ice and can go under stuff that hurts others.

Flame Slinger: Fast, attacks at a range and has AE. Deadly combo.

Wham Bam: Can freeze multiple enemies, hard hitting melee combos and a fast slide to move.

Drobot: Can hover while shooting, think strafing. Also has a rocket for a fast get away that does damage. He can basically just shoot stuff across the screen and take on large legions of baddies. Not great confined though.

Hex: While slow and weak, if you can keep her away from the fight with her bone shield, she can attack everything from far away.

Anyone that can't move fast and has to stand toe to toe, is only good for the easier modes. The giants are also near useless for nightmare mode, they are large slow targets. When things hot for 100+ and there are 4+ near you, you are dead in seconds unless you can keep your distance or hit and run.

GameMaster78

Neo Member
The HD Room website confirmed new Adventure Packs are being made for Swap Force. On the other hand, it was also confirmed the campaign would be as short as Skylanders Giants.

BooJoh

I had understood that the Skylanders from the Giants starter pack would not work with Spyro's Adventure, was I wrong about that? Tree Rex definitely won't work, right? I also assumed the Jet Vac and Cynder were in the same boat.
My bad. Jet-Vac and Tree Rex won't work in Spyro's Adventure. I think Cynder will, I believe any "Series 2" (reposed) character should work in Spyro's Adventure as if it's the original version, but I'm not sure as I've never tried.

Giant areas simply require a giant, so you technically only need one giant to access them all. You won't find any area that requires a specific element giant. You might find yourself having to replay levels more though, in cases where your giant gets KO'd before a giant area and you have no other giants to fall back on until next time you play the level.

Those are two characters that I would put on the bottom of my list. Over powered charactes have somehting special or combine speed with range, so thye don't get . Guys who have to stand and hit at point black are generally the worst, they die fast in nightmare mode.

We find these guys the best:

Double Trouble: Does not have to face his victims and can hit three at once. Also has good AE and auto-bombs.

Sonic Boom: Can attack without ever going near victims with baby birds. She can take out baddies as long as you can keep her away, and she can fly fast.

Terafin: Can burrow, making him immune to damage while hurting them with his fin. Also has a great AE when he pops out. His burrowing also does not slide on ice and can go under stuff that hurts others.

Flame Slinger: Fast, attacks at a range and has AE. Deadly combo.

Wham Bam: Can freeze multiple enemies, hard hitting melee combos and a fast slide to move.

Drobot: Can hover while shooting, think strafing. Also has a rocket for a fast get away that does damage. He can basically just shoot stuff across the screen and take on large legions of baddies. Not great confined though.

Hex: While slow and weak, if you can keep her away from the fight with her bone shield, she can attack everything from far away.

Anyone that can't move fast and has to stand toe to toe, is only good for the easier modes. The giants are also near useless for nightmare mode, they are large slow targets. When things hot for 100+ and there are 4+ near you, you are dead in seconds unless you can keep your distance or hit and run.

I haven't played Nightmare mode, but I have to say Stealth Elf can hold her own really well, if you're good at "stick-and-move" style gameplay. Ranged characters like Drobot, Trigger Happy, and Pop-Fizz feel really overpowered in general though.

DeVeAn

So the PC version doesn't run any better? How is the ps3 version? Also should I skip the original and play Giants?

AgentP

I haven't played Nightmare mode, but I have to say Stealth Elf can hold her own really well, if you're good at "stick-and-move" style gameplay. Ranged characters like Drobot, Trigger Happy, and Pop-Fizz feel really overpowered in general though.

She is cool, but she often comes out of stealth in a pack of bad guys and dies instantly.

BooJoh

So the PC version doesn't run any better? How is the ps3 version? Also should I skip the original and play Giants?

I haven't played the PC version, the PS3 version plays fine other than the rare lockup (but I think every version has the occasional lockup, from PC to 3DS to PS3, Wii, 360, and even Wii U)

I would actually recommend against skipping Spyro's Adventure. It's a longer game than Giants and the gameplay is pretty much the same other than the new characters, so skipping it only serves to shorten the experience and miss out on the first story.

Top Bottom