• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 'Skylanders Giants' |OT|

DeVeAn

I haven't played the PC version, the PS3 version plays fine other than the rare lockup (but I think every version has the occasional lockup, from PC to 3DS to PS3, Wii, 360, and even Wii U)

I would actually recommend against skipping Spyro's Adventure. It's a longer game than Giants and the gameplay is pretty much the same other than the new characters, so skipping it only serves to shorten the experience and miss out on the first story.
Great thanks. Still undecided about the PC version may just go PS3.

Amneisac

So the PC version doesn't run any better? How is the ps3 version? Also should I skip the original and play Giants?

As I said the main thing I heard was the PC version doesn't use a controller. I wouldn't want to play it with a mouse and keyboard. They're all just up-ressed wii games anyways so I doubt the graphics are that much better.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
I just got the platinum trophy on the PS3 version of Giants. Games works fine, not pretty, but no bugs to speak of. Much less buggy than a Lego game.

Orca

Thanks, Underdog, that helps.

Are the special elemental areas actually in any way worth buying a character though? You can actually "beat" the game with what comes in the starter kits, right?

I mean is the gameplay I'll get out of having access to one of those areas worth ~$10? Just putting it in terms of DLC, that seems a little steep, obviously I realize there's a collectability aspect to the toys and that will inflate the cost a little bit, but if I'm getting into this solely to have a fun co-op game for my wife and me to play is there any reason to shell out for the extra elements?

Get Whirlwind for co-op. The ability to heal your partner is invaluable when your partner is....let's say less skilled.

DeVeAn

So does anything from the web browser game carry into the console game? I finish ( in one sitting ^^; ) the game with 4 level 10's.

Saw that Hero stat and started playing. Anyone know how all this works?

DeVeAn

Wanted to chime in on something. I work Graveyard and was in Wal mart on my day off around 2am. I saw plenty the the new giants I MEAN plenty. The very next day around 7pm they were ZERO left ZERO. Wow man I was amazed how fast those went I mean not even a day.

Wanted to chime in on something. I work Graveyard and was in Wal mart on my day off around 2am. I saw plenty the the new giants I MEAN plenty. The very next day around 7pm they were ZERO left ZERO. Wow man I was amazed how fast those went I mean not even a day.

Just one answer: ebay scalpers.

GameMaster78

Neo Member
Well, I have started making videos for Skylanders now.

Here are a couple I have made over the past 2 days. I will be making plenty more, but before I do, I need to find a USB extension cable, because when I do gameplay capturing, the videos always end up having distorted music and dialogue. Someone suggested it's because I am recording on my weak laptop. My next videos will be captured via my PC, which runs far better, and hopefully the distorted sound during gameplay will cease.

But, for now, here is a look at Ninjini's figure and Heroic Challenge from my Skylanders Youtube Channel. Someone is making me a custom background and icon for my channel, so I can get it looking nice. Please check out the channel, as I plan on doing playthroughs of every Heroic Challenge, video reviews of the figures, analysis of each upgrade path, playthroughs of the campaigns from each game (current or upcoming), and indepth looks at each Skylander toy, right down to paint aps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_7nH0-XgO8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYk9faVJJaw

Enjoy.

Orca

Got the package last night. Here's Tyson, who believes it's Skylanders but isn't yet sure.
ptTQaQt.jpg

And when it was opened. He was jumping around so this is the best pic I got with the phone lol

I saw he had Hot Dog at level 8 already today.

So thanks for that, you really made his week.

GameMaster78

Neo Member
Thanks, Sora. It was only released at the Manhattan Toys R Us prior to Toy Fair. Only 300 were there for sale, so sadly, only 300 are in circulation at the moment.

Someone on another site helped me get mine. I still need 2, as I only have 2.

Zing

Banned
So does anything from the web browser game carry into the console game? I finish ( in one sitting ^^; ) the game with 4 level 10's.

Saw that Hero stat and started playing. Anyone know how all this works?

The hero stat means nothing in the console game.

Zing

Banned
I'm up to chapter six in nightmare mode. It doesn't really matter who you use or what level they are at this point. Even my best characters die in 1-3 hits from anything larger than a chompie.

I actually started playing my "dream team" in nightmare, which was one figure from each element, all series 2, and all fresh out of the box. I planned to use no items, and do no heroics or arenas until completing the game one. Well, I got to chapter three and it was pretty much impossible. Without enough gold to buy upgrades, I just couldn't kill anything fast enough. I got all eight wiped by an ambush. It wasn't as much fun as I had hoped, since I had no abilities and no giants to reach special areas.

I still plan to try the dream team concept, but with Spyro's Adventure instead. That game needs the extra challenge, and it gives me a reason to use the series 2 figures.

Haha, I got the Wii U starter pack for my kid, still holding it back to give to him when he's finished up lego LOTR....and I have already started buying additional skylanders haha. This does not bode well for the future of my wallet. I bought the pack and thought "Well this will do him awhile, I won't spend any more for a couple of weeks at least". then I get an email that there's a 3 for 2 offer going on and yea, I'm down the rabbit hole of buying these things for him before he even has it. My justification is it'll be cool for him to have more of the various elements but yea, mega fail ha.

I went into a shopping spree in the last two weeks and bought all giants/triple packs/lightcore versions until wave 3 (I ended paying a lot in shipping charges) with the exception of the Scorpion Pack, which is still uber expensive.

I am waiting for the final 3 bought packages to arrive but now I just have to wait for wave 4 to hit the streets, and also get the 3-packs that will contain Fright Rider, Flameslinger, Bash and Hex which currently are unavailable in 3-pack form (so I did not get them).

Is there a good place ( other than checking in here obviously haha) to check when they release waves etc.? Hoping to get the kid the reposed Spyro, and from searching online it seems he might be in wave 4? I have no idea when that'll out/out in the uk though. Is it jus a case of checking amazon constantly ha?

Amneisac

I went into a shopping spree in the last two weeks and bought all giants/triple packs/lightcore versions until wave 3 (I ended paying a lot in shipping charges) with the exception of the Scorpion Pack, which is still uber expensive.

I am waiting for the final 3 bought packages to arrive but now I just have to wait for wave 4 to hit the streets, and also get the 3-packs that will contain Fright Rider, Flameslinger, Bash and Hex which currently are unavailable in 3-pack form (so I did not get them).

The Scorpion Striker Battle Pack is in pretty good supply at the local Game Stops (at least in SW Virginia in the US) have you been checking around locally?

GameMaster78

Neo Member
Well, the Scorpion Striker Battle Packs have seemingly gone mass retail, as people in the US and Canada have spotted them at Walmarts and Toys R Us.

This is where I have a question for Orca.

Orca, at Toys R Us in Canada, they released Legendary Chill (Lightcore). I was wondering if you could grab me 4 of them, and I could pay you for them? That is, if you're going there yourself to get any?

Thanks for any help, if you don't mind helping me get her.

But, in anycase, people in Canada can now go grab Legendary Chill, as she seems to be out.

It also seems wave 4 Single Packs have been spotted in the Netherlands. Someone posted a pic of Series 2 Spyro and Wrecking Ball.

Well, the Scorpion Striker Battle Packs have seemingly gone mass retail, as people in the US and Canada have spotted them at Walmarts and Toys R Us.

But, in anycase, people in Canada can now go grab Legendary Chill, as she seems to be out.

It also seems wave 4 Single Packs have been spotted in the Netherlands. Someone posted a pic of Series 2 Spyro and Wrecking Ball.

Cheers for the info, I guess they'll show up in the UK soon enough then, I'll keep an eye out. I still need to get him a magic type and a tech type so he has one of each. Trigger Happy seems easy to get hold of, but Spyro wasn't showing up any results.

The Scorpion Striker Battle Pack is in pretty good supply at the local Game Stops (at least in SW Virginia in the US) have you been checking around locally?

Eh, I live in Brazil, so I cannot check locally. Well, we officially got the first wave, but I doubt we will receive the others. Anyway it still cheaper to import (and pay the shipping charges) than to buy here.

Trigger Happy was a wave 1 release, back when the game launched. Spyro is the newest, now that we've seen some territory get it.

This will all be easier now I'm tracking Swap Force news from day 1, I'll be able to stay clear on what's out and how it's coming out, I had no idea they did waves for example until I tried searching for Spyro earlier ha. One last n00b quesiton and I'll hush for awhile, do they still do the adventure pack style things? Like the shark/pirate ship/chest combo looks awesome, but I haven't spotted any of those types of sets for Giants yet.

GameMaster78

Neo Member
They didn't do Adventure Packs for Giants. However, a recent interview stated that Adventure Packs were being made for Skylanders: Swap Force.

Amneisac

This will all be easier now I'm tracking Swap Force news from day 1, I'll be able to stay clear on what's out and how it's coming out, I had no idea they did waves for example until I tried searching for Spyro earlier ha. One last n00b quesiton and I'll hush for awhile, do they still do the adventure pack style things? Like the shark/pirate ship/chest combo looks awesome, but I haven't spotted any of those types of sets for Giants yet.

Well, they have the battle packs, aren't those kind of the same thing?

http://www.gamestop.com/toys/skylanders-giants-scorpion-striker-battle-pack/107129

What websites/forums besides GAF do you guys use to track when new waves of Skylanders are released into stores? I've previously just been making a trip to several stores once a week on my way home on Fridays.

Sora_N

Orca, at Toys R Us in Canada, they released Legendary Chill (Lightcore). I was wondering if you could grab me 4 of them, and I could pay you for them? That is, if you're going there yourself to get any?

Damn, I gotta check my TRU. Want to complete my legendary set with her.

Orca

I'll swing by and see if there's any there, sure.

GameMaster78

Neo Member
You da man, Orca. I will glady pay for 4 of them, plus shipping, if you manage to grab any. There are rumors suggesting that MAYBE Wave 4 could be out in America this week, as people overseas have seemingly found Series 2 Spyro and Wrecking Ball.

I can keep an eye out for you, as well as other people outside of the US, if anyone wants these figures earlier. Shipping is a bit higher, but I always sell at cost.

Sora_N

I borrowed my gf's Giants game, played the first level. It's been a while since I touched this game but feels more refined yeah.

I did not open any figures, except Hot Head. The rest are still sealed. I couldn't stand how lazy they were with him. I honestly had no interest in this character, but bought it because it was hard to find at the time. After playing with him he's pretty cool, don't regret opening him but had to touch him up a bit.

EDIT: Damn, just noticed his body is a bit darker. I might do a little more touchup on him in a few days, but not sure yet because I'm not great at washes.

DeVeAn

I borrowed my gf's Giants game, played the first level. It's been a while since I touched this game but feels more refined yeah.

I did not open any figures, except Hot Head. The rest are still sealed. I couldn't stand how lazy they were with him. I honestly had no interest in this character, but bought it because it was hard to find at the time. After playing with him he's pretty cool, don't regret opening him but had to touch him up a bit.

EDIT: Damn, just noticed his body is a bit darker. I might do a little more touchup on him in a few days, but not sure yet because I'm not great at washes.

Yea, I got Dark Spyro and he has a crappy paint job. Sucks but, what am I gonna do?

Amneisac

Pretty good amazon sale going right now:

Link to my Reddit post about it

Edited to add:

I'm not mentally strong enough to handle the Skylanders game by the way. It's been a week and I've spent about $250 so far all total on games / figures. My wife and I are having a blast so that's cool, but it's seriously taking advantage of my completion-ist tendencies.

Spyro's Adventure Starter Pack (X360) (Spyro, Trigger Happy, Gill Grunt) $39.99
Giants Starter Pack (WiiU) (Tree Rex, Jet Vac, Cynder) $54.99
Spyro's Adventure 3-Pack (Camo, Warnado, Ignitor) $17.49
Scorpion Striker Battle Pack (Hot Dog, Zapp) $24.99
Thumpback $14.99
Giants Triple Pack (Sprocket, Sonic Boom, Stump Smash) $18.49
Pop Fizz $9.99
Dragonfire Pack (Shroomboom, Chop Chop) $18.49
Lightcore Drobot $6.99
Lightcore Eruptor $6.99
Lightcore Prism Break $6.99
Whirlwind $5.99
Bouncer $9.99
Swarm $9.99
Drill Sergeant $5.99
$252.35

So I gave the little one his Skylanders Giants starter pack on Saturday, and its been a huge hit! He's wanted to play it every day since, playing the figures and the cards when it's not tv time, and he has the poster set up on the wall beside his bed so he can check them all out. So pretty chuffed. Buying the Wii U and Giants was my big push to start getting him into games now he's five, and being able to play a game together he's so enthused about (I think he and his friends at school discuss it alot), and him being able to play it on his own on the pad so he has the buttons in sight too, just great. People like say whatever, but its a fantastic product for kids, and I'm glad Activision had the balls to invest.

I also already went down the rabbit hole and began stockpiling more so I can give him a new one each weekend and keep him excited. I wanted to grab 5, one of each element that doesn't ship, with the kit and I wanted him to have another giant eventually so I got: Pop Fizz, Terrafin, Gill Grunt, Eruptor & Bouncer. I won't be going to hard at getting him the whole set or anything since we're coming in after so much has launched already, but I can see us getting very collector-ish with Swap Force.

My girlfriend actually really likes it too. She always loved the Spyro games on PS1, and while this doesn't play like that at all, I think the aesthetic of the earlier skylands and some of the imagery pushes her nostalgia button, so it's been a big winner all round, couldn't be more pleased.

Sora_N

I The one day I decided to hunt for Skylanders, found Thumpback and Eyebrawl! :) woot. Found at Futureshop (Canada)

Edit: went to TRU just now, snagged Legendary Chill. Saw some Hot Dog packs but man I dont need a Zap and the scorpion thing looks ugly. Is Hot Dog getting a single? The battlepacks shouldnt be hard to find. I'll probably just wait since I already bought a few figures today.

BooJoh

Saw some Hot Dog packs but man I dont need a Zap and the scorpion thing looks ugly. Is Hot Dog getting a single? The battlepacks shouldnt be hard to find. I'll probably just wait since I already bought a few figures today.

Same boat here. Hot Dog is getting a Wal-Mart exclusive variant, Molten Hot Dog, but I think he's getting a standard single as well. I hope so because Molten Hot Dog is far inferior IMO.

Sora_N

Same boat here. Hot Dog is getting a Wal-Mart exclusive variant, Molten Hot Dog, but I think he's getting a standard single as well. I hope so because Molten Hot Dog is far inferior IMO.

Worst exclusive ever, wow.

0004787584653_500X500.jpg

I hope he gets a regular single, if not I'll get the battle pack.

Katzii

Does Molten Hot Dog show up differently in-game? I might get one if so... If it actually reaches the UK.

Still waiting for Flocked Stump Smash, red Drill Sergeant and the Sidekicks.

Sora_N

Does Molten Hot Dog show up differently in-game? I might get one if so... If it actually reaches the UK.

Still waiting for Flocked Stump Smash, red Drill Sergeant and the Sidekicks.

I think he shows up different in game because he's a named exclusive.

We never got Flocked Stump smash or the Sidekicks in Canada, but we got the Red Sarg.

Zing

Banned
The items in the battle packs are terrible. The items from the first game are all viable and I use them frequently. The catapult and cannon are just plain stupid. I don't know if they unlock anything in game, but I could do without them.

It's also bullshit how they handled the adventure packs. They didn't even tinker with the levels to add giant-required areas. They are just copy and paste. They couldn't even come up with a thematic way to integrate going to the area. Putting the item on the portal just pops up a prompt asking if you want to play it.

I'm currently at chapter 14 in nightmare mode. Most of my skylanders are either fully upgraded or one upgrade away. I decided to slap three experience wheels in the luck o tron to see if I can get someone to level 15. My full set of figures has been through the first game four times, and Giants twice. I don't know how we are expected to get enough coins for upgrades plus all the shop items. One charm costs 25000. The "lost" heroics all cost quite a bit as well. I guess if you only have a handful of figures, it would give something to spend coins on.

I have around half of the series 2 figures, but I have decided to just leave them in the closet and not buy any more. The accolades for having all 40 orange base figures are just not worth it. I am going to replay the first game with my "dream team" of series 2 just for fun and see if it is any more challenging. Dream team is comprised of: Trigger Happy, Gill Grunt, Spyro, Stealth Elf, Sonic Boom, Chop Chop, Ignitor, Prism Break. I figure going through the game with no items and no excess figures in collection (so no boost to XP or element) might make it a little more interesting.

I really wish a nightmare mode of some sort had been added to the first game.

GameMaster78

Neo Member
Zing, your questions are easy.

The Magical Items in each Battle Pack unlock 2 PVP Arenas.

I agree they could have done a bit better with the Adventure Pack levels in Giants. They took out most of the collecting. I think it would have been cool if they developed sequel levels with the same toys in Giants. A new Adventure in Empire of Ice, Dragon's Peak, Pirate Seas, and Darklight Crypt.

Swap Force is "supposed" to have new Adventure Packs, so hang tight.

Getting money in Giants is suuuuuuuuuuper simple. It only costs time.

Get all Luck-o-Tron Bulbs and all Wealth Wheels. Epuip all 4 Wealth Wheels to the Luck-o-Tron.

Now then, go through the levels and make sure to get all 20 Winged Sapphires. AS SOON AS YOU FINISH CHAPTER 13 OR 14, go onto the crane deck of the boat, which is gotten to by going up the ramp and out of the first door, in the same room as the entrance to Auric's Shop and Dreadbeard.

On the crane deck, make sure to grab the Winged Sapphire, because not only do you want it, but you also want it so it doesn't get in the way of what I am going to tell you.

Now then, after you have that Winged Sapphire, go ahead and beat the game. After the credits roll and you're back on the ship, go back to the crane deck and you will see tons of money laying on the ground.

With all 4 Wealth Wheels equipped, you can get anywhere from 8-12k from picking up all of the loot. Now then, stand perfectly still.

If you're on Xbox 360, press the guide button (The big X in the middle of the controller) and press X to "Sign Out". You will be booted from the game, back to the Start Screen for Giants. Now then, Select Story mode, it will ask you to sign back in, do so. After that, it will ask you to select your storage device. Do so. Select your save file, and go back to the deck again. ALL OF THE MONEY IS STILL THERE! Rinse and repeat and poof, you have all the money you need at your disposal.

On the Wii version of the game, you need to press the HOME button and go back to the Wii Menu in order to do this trick. On PS3, you press the PS button and quit game. YOU NEVER QUIT THE GAME THROUGH THE GAME ITSELF OR IT WILL SAVE OVER THE MONEY YOU PICKED UP!

I got enough gold for 2 of every character in about 30 minutes tops.

DO NOT UPGRADE YOUR CHARACTERS AFTER GETTING THE GEMS, BECAUSE IT SAVES THE GAME! Get whatever money you need first and reload your save file via the method I listed above, before you buy moves...

It sounds like a lot, but it takes mere minutes.

Tell you what. I will just make a video of it and post it here, to show you how simple it is to get money.

BooJoh

It's slightly time consuming just because of the switching, but on the Wii U version ever since the Sky Pirates level my treasure room behind the elemental gates in the game room refills every time I walk out of the screen and back in. No need to clear the next stage.

GameMaster78

Neo Member
But that only gives you up to around 400 (or slightly more) gold.

I can fully upgrade each Skylander down one path, after 1 to 2 trips to the crane deck. It's less time consuming than switching characters 5-7 times for the elemental door.

I still need to make a video, but I've been busy. I'll do it on an un-upgraded Skylander.

DeVeAn

So, beat Spyro's Adventure a while back as well as the 3DS version. I liked the idea of the 3DS game but, felt like it was underwhelming.

Is Giants better than the first game? I did enjoy the first but, going back for the for 100% was not very exciting.

Zing

Banned
As a big fan of the games, I will say that, no, Giants is not better. The first game felt very cohesive. The plot and dialog was well written, and the levels were designed well. Giants feels like they threw together ideas they had leftover. The story is all over the place, and the dialog is not even remotely as well written. Spyros Adventure feels like a product of good design and craft. Giants, while entertaining and still worth the time and money, feels like a "b side".

Orca

Finally got Thumpback, leaving just Ninjini to go. Tyson is going to lose his shit when I show him...but I'm trying to decide HOW to show him.

For EyeBrawl I had him out of the package and when he asked, as he always does, if I found EyeBrawl/Thumpback/Ninjini I pulled him out of my pocket.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbrhM4A1TOI

This time I'm thinking of putting him out in the huge collection he sticks by the portal and seeing how long it takes him to notice, or putting it in the drawer with the others to see if he'll spot it.

alterno69

Banned
I bought this game for my 6 years old a week ago. He never asked me for it but i had a feeling he'd enjoy it, he plays video games casually, i mean he has a 3ds and after 6 months he is now on the last castle in the Mario 3d land game but hasn't played in weeks. He also plays on the PS3 from time to time.

Well, he is obsessed with this game, i already bought a new giant for him and my mother in law got him a 3 pack. He is playing right now and is about to beat the game, his first ever.

I have to say despite looking quite blurry the game is great for kids, 100% kids themes and the fact that the characters move slowly is great cause my kid has no problem controlling the characters, the perspective also helps a lot.

I want to buy him the original game cause at least form the videos it looks like it is a better game.

Top Bottom