• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Super Stardust HD Thread (my eyes burn from the amazing!)

Queeg

Ken Masters said:
is it just new modes or are any new environment?

A new planent background, but a lot of new enemies I've seen in endless mode. And the amount of things onscreen at once OMFG.

Firewire

Banned
Raist said:
You should have bought it already

I have the game already, and I'm actually catching up to Queeg, only a few hundred million behind you Queegs! :lol

Didn't want to get the extra content last night as the servers were getting jammed!

What is it that makes Easy Mode easier? Are enemies more aggressive, does everything take less damage, what?

edit: to clarify, I have played it and it's absolutely much much easier, but I am not knowledgeable enough about the game to figure out what makes it so much easier.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
is the addon and game itself gameshare-able? If so ill pay a friend tonight trough gamesharing and get the addon, have the game already but wirecard is blocked as you all know.

Raist

Banned
badcrumble said:
What is it that makes Easy Mode easier? Are enemies more aggressive, does everything take less damage, what?

edit: to clarify, I have played it and it's absolutely much much easier, but I am not knowledgeable enough about the game to figure out what makes it so much easier.

Well, haven't tried easy mode
it's for pussies
but what I figured from the increased difficulty (normal > hard > elite etc) is that ennemies move much faster and bosses shoot much faster too. I don't think the damage they can take up is incrased tho.

@Tiduz> the game is. The add on I don't know

Tiduz

Eurogaime
Raist said:
Well, haven't tried easy mode
it's for pussies
but what I figured from the increased difficulty (normal > hard > elite etc) is that ennemies move much faster and bosses shoot much faster too. I don't think the damage they can take up is incrased tho.

@Tiduz> the game is. The add on I don't know

thx, i hope it is, i have no other way to buy it >_<

Endless is diabolical

When it starts throwing thousands of those blue rocks at you. It's like... impossible to handle. I go from having 20 bombs to none.

Oh well, went from 12 million to 22 million. I see Beatbox is sitting with 26 million though.
/shakes fist

ckeur

Queeg said:
YES, Don't think about it just press the purchase button and enjoy

I just hit download, didn't care the price. The game is amazing, and this add-on only makes it better. Endless mode is fucking fantastic! I'm definitely not as good as I used to be, I haven't played in months, but it still is just as much fun. Definitely going to get addicted to this again.

On a side note, I was hoping for another new 5 planets with new bosses, etc. I hope there is another expansion with this added, but the new modes are amazing and will keep me occupied for a while.

Also, where is the multiplayer addon, with like online coop etc? =/

WOOHOO I just beat BeatBox's time attack record for the third planet, by 20 seconds. I need to try some of the other modes. This add-on is great.

After the multiplayer addon we're going to be an addon or two away from a full priced title that they might as well just release on BD.

But yeah I'll support the cause.

It has occurred to me to wonder though, if part of the new store launch, there are going to be promotional pricing on any of the stuff in there to help generate hype and traffic into it tomorrow?

Steroyd

BobTheFork said:
WOOHOO I just beat BeatBox's time attack record for the third planet, by 20 seconds. I need to try some of the other modes. This add-on is great.

He's on it a lot you're only delaying the inevitable. :lol

Raist said:
Survival mode is a fucking PITA :lol

But so much fun. Currently 18th. Must. Improve. Ranking.

Best I've managed is ~2:30. I tend to use the rock crusher to push the orbs away then switch to the gold melter to get the bomb carriers. helps when you manage to get a shield instead of a "time" pickup, too.

My favorite new thing are those "nukes" that destroy absolutely everything in their path - the ones that end the time attack levels and also show up in the Endless mode.

TTP said:
WTF, I still cannot make ti work!

I deleted every trace of the game from teh HDD. Save files included. Purchased it again with a new account. Same with add'on. I still get the non updated 2.02 game. Am I the only one?

Any updates on this. My friend got Stardust from my account. If he uses my account to download the add-on would it be an issue? He is also willing to buy it on his account, but you say that wont work?

Raist

Banned
Lemming_JRS said:
Best I've managed is ~2:30. I tend to use the rock crusher to push the orbs away then switch to the gold melter to get the bomb carriers. helps when you manage to get a shield instead of a "time" pickup, too.

My favorite new thing are those "nukes" that destroy absolutely everything in their path - the ones that end the time attack levels and also show up in the Endless mode.

My best run is 4:05 or something. Now I just can't get past 3mins :(

Ceb

Endless mode and Bomber are my faves. Survival is fun, but hard as nails.

I wonder if they made any improvements to the engine for this update. I mean, some moments in Endless mode just feel sooo much busier than the old version ever was.

EDIT:

B-Ri said:
made this video of endless mode. Just before the 5 minute mark provided the largest oh shit moment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vZU2t5QrjY

Great vid. I noticed you don't boost over the bonus point pickups a lot. That would probably have upped your final score even more.

B-Ri

Ceb said:
Endless mode and Bomber are my faves. Survival is fun, but hard as nails.

I wonder if they made any improvements to the engine for this update. I mean, some moments in Endless mode just feel sooo much busier than the old version ever was.

EDIT:

Great vid. I noticed you don't boost over the bonus point pickups a lot. That would probably have upped your final score even more.

i decided to use my boost more for survival for the vid.

barkholt

In case people haven't noticed, you get multipliers on the time bonuses in survival mode if you boost through them. Just like with points in regular arcade.

2.32 in Survival is my top score. It's a fun mode, but it seems like there's a brick wall where the screen would get filled with far to much stuff for anyone to deal with.

Erebus

fistfulofmetal said:
2.32 in Survival is my top score. It's a fun mode, but it seems like there's a brick wall where the screen would get filled with far to much stuff for anyone to deal with.

True and the fact that the asteroids (or whatever these are anyway) aren't destroyed easily make matters far worse.

Someone upload a Bomber video or give me some tips! I can't quite figure this mode out.:D

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
In Endless there's one pattern for the blue stationary barrier enemies where they lay down immediately behind you, so you determine how they're distributed on the sphere. Pretty cool, only had it happen once so far.

Agent X

Queeg said:
YES, Don't think about it just press the purchase button and enjoy

I agree. This add-on pack is easily worth the money. I've only tried Endless mode so far, and it's really amazing. There are many new enemies that weren't present in the original game, and the way this mode is set up allows for some new strategies.

This is how DLC should be done.

teiresias

Just downloaded the add-on tonight. I hadn't played this in a few months actually, but this add-on is quite possibly the most amazing thing ever.

I don't really know what "Easy" in arcade does - I think it makes enemies take less damage - but it doesn't really seem to affect the quantity of enemies that are present any one time, so if you play the game in a very "dodging"-based way and let it fill up as much as possible with stuff then it seems to be at about the same difficulty in that regard - the screen's just easier to clear when you want.

Have they also made the "elements" substantially different with this. Playing before I remember thinking, "Nothing does really any substantially different damage even when I'm using the right weapon sooooooo . . . Gold Melter it is!!" However, now I'm noticing there is a much more pronounced difference on how well each weapon works against its specific enemy/material type, so I find myself juggling between the weapons alot more, which adds one more thing to keep track of, which makes it even more frenetic.

Anyway, I love this game, and I can't get enough. The rumble is really nice as well.

Maggot9

Banned
I just downloaded the add-on, and updated the game as well. Why are all my statistics erased? I checked my save game files, and there's 2 SSHD save games, one being on the top, and one somewhere in the middle of the list. I assume the top one overwrote my other one. Is it safe to delete this one? This happen to anyone else?

Steroyd

kaching said:
In Endless there's one pattern for the blue stationary barrier enemies where they lay down immediately behind you, so you determine how they're distributed on the sphere. Pretty cool, only had it happen once so far.

I nearly got caught with that, I felt like screaming at the screen PISS OFF.

Game can get uber nuts at times.

Ploid 3.0

I went into this not knowing what to expect... OMG I pretty much went through two pair of pants figuratively speaking. It's like the god of that planet is seriously trying to crush you. LOVE it!

reakt

Wow! Thanks everyone for recommending the update to me. It's definitely worth the money. The new modes / sound effects and music add a lot to this game. "Endless" is my favourite of the new modes. It's chaotic from the very beginning! I've rediscovered the addictive qualities of this stunning game!

Post your high scores! (and include your PSN id so we can check!). I'm up to 9 million or so on Endless. Doing slightly better on survival where I was placed in the top few hundred (although my position is dropping fast as more and more people purchase the upgrade!)

JudgeN

Did the version 3.0 add DTS sound? Cause my receiver isn't seeing it, i got an onkyo 605 if anyone knows please let me know.

jakeellis01

JudgeN said:
Did the version 3.0 add DTS sound? Cause my receiver isn't seeing it, i got an onkyo 605 if anyone knows please let me know.

yes my receiver says DTS when starting SSHD now... my ps3 is connected via optical.

Make sure you have DTS ticked in the PS3 Sound Settings

Top Bottom