• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Total Recall remake is a better movie then the original

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't even be rational about Total Recall. I watched it so many times when I was in elementary school, and there are so many moments that are burned into my soul. Exploding heads, Sharon Stone's workout outfit, Johnny Cab, Schwarzenegger pulling the tracker out of his nose, the woman with 3 boobs, his disguise, Benny, Kuato.. That movie was a trip. When I watch it now it doesn't look dated at all to me. I think every movie should be more like OG TR.

The new one isn't a bad movie, but it lacks even a single standout moment. It's just a generic but competently made sci-fi actioner with no real identity.

Ridley327

Every Mel Brooks movie has aged poorly.

After the 70s, sure. Not that he was immediately lazy once the 80s rolled around, but I think he wound up spreading himself too thin with all the pots he had his hands in. Like, History of the World, Part 1 isn't anywhere close to his best, but he was still trying. Spaceballs was the beginning of the end for him as a director, where you can tell he just didn't have the passion for modern cinematic trends like he did with the classics that defined his golden period. Mel Brooks is the kind of guy that got why people like old studio westerns, but he is not the guy who got why people like sci-fi blockbusters.

RangerX

Banned
The original Total recall is a legitimately good film, with great setpieces. Its also one of the most quotable films ever. The remake is boring uninspired rubbish. Yours is an opinion I've never heard before. And its wrong.

Coin Return

Loose Slot
Total Recall has one of my favorite Blu-ray commentaries ever. Schwarzenegger and Verhoeven trading production stories back and forth is a joy to listen to.

now this is true. Spaceballs is not good.

tumblr_nczoxj0hox1ry46hlo1_500.gif

How can someone be allowed to spread so many lies...

Lautaro

Congratulations, you are special.

Total Recall is a classic of the violent action movies of that time and its enjoyable even now. The remake is bland as fuck in action and characters and not even Cranston could save it.

Zakalwe

Banned
Sorry but you're wrong.

OG TR is a pile of charming ultra violent 90s schlock. It's wonderful.

Remake is a souless digital cash-in.

I'd rather see Trump become president than see Op make another thread again. And I'm Mexican.

The people have spoken.

pswii60

Arghhhh I hate this thread. I thought the Brexiteers were bad but this is on a whole different level.

The original film was (in typical Verhoeven style) brimming with satire, ridiculous violence, dodgy special effects, utterly self-aware and it was totally fucking epic. Epic. Every time it is on the TV I get transfixed and cannot stop watching. It's an amazing film. So many memorable moments. It's not pretentious, it's just ludicrously entertaining, fun and epic movie viewing from start to end. There are few films so entertaining throughout.

The remake, in comparison, was too clean, dull, forgettable, completely lacking in originality or imagination and devoid of any self-awareness and humour. I can barely remember it, but that's what I do remember.

The fact that an opinion like that exists makes me not want to live on this planet anymore

You should stop watching movies, OP, just stop everything you're doing

I've seen both films recently and just what the fuck are you even saying... and Paul Verhoeven is a Saint you fascist traitor to all that is good

Yeah the production design is pretty rough now but...seriously? The original movie pulls off 4 concurrent stories and has an actual ending that significantly changes life for everyone on Mars. The remake barely tells one story and the ending barely matters. I also don't even get the whole robot thing. There were already robots everywhere and they go lengths to show that.

I didn't even feel the remake was bad (more unnecessary, like all of Sony's remakes and reboots) and I still think you're insane. The original film looks great, is filled with memorable performances and dialogue, has an excellent soundtrack, and is wrapped in an existentialist framework which, while simple, is still actually a pretty intriguing look at fantasy and its role in our lives. The movie is wildly entertaining and just smart enough to be interesting.

The remake has some nice sets and makes the wife a bigger and more interesting role, but those are really its only potential advantages.

IISANDERII

No.

The remake looked like it could be completely interchangeable with any post 2000 sci-fi film

It wasn't completely painful though, so there's that
100%. Incredibly generic. The only good thing was Kate Beckinsale.

katebeckinsale_totalrecall-460.jpg

She's 10yrs older than Jessica Biel but looks 10x hotter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom