• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Tragedy of Castlevania Judgement. (and other Arena Fighters)

Haunts of Capcom and former iPlayWinner reaaly liked Castlevania Judgment.

I think it had pontential, but 30fps really put me off, lol.

If you have a Gamecube or BC-capable Wii, buy Gotcha Force. It's a great Gundam Vs. style arena battle game.

Chavelo

[*]It was on the Wii (which might not be the case, but that shit still had to take on Tatsunoko vs Capcom Ultimate All Stars around the time when people just dickrode Capcom fighters again especially with Street Fighter IV on the horizon, which "revitalized the genre" lol.)

large-salt-pile-792875.jpg

You are right nothing is stopping me except for my lack of caring on the subject matter.

if there is a sign that a game is actually good despite its lack of reviews its a thread 5 years after release with people agreeing that the game had redeeming qualities.

man the game got really low reviews and not many people cared about it when it was announced (i didnt knew that this flopping would mean IGA not getting to work on a proper castlevania anymore).

so yeah if you didnt play the game dont insult the game and people that have actually played it.

Yep. You're right. There would have been a 2D MK9, Marvel vs Capcom 3, Street Fighter X Tekken, and Killer Instinct without SF4 being made and proving that fighting games were wanted and could be profitable on levels not seen before.

EVO would have gotten just as big as it is now with only Tekken, VF, and anime games coming out. Twitch streaming of 3D and anime would have revolutionized money making possibilities for the FGC without a name like Street Fighter even being a part of it.

Plenty of arcade sticks were being sold to the mainstream gamer before SF4 no problem. In fact you'd say that there were actually MORE being sold before it, right? SF4 had nothing to do with increasing those sales in the slightest.
I know you trying to drive home a point, and I get it, So I'm gonna repeat MY point.
Wrong? That shit didn't help no fighting game outside of those of Capcom's own. Indeed it brought the genre to the mainstream, but we've been here playing fighting games, both with and without Capcom.

You damn right I am. lol I'm not even gonna front. So many fighting games that had superior gameplay than SFIV/MVC3/SFxTK, the fact that it took EVO2k12 for everyone to realize that KOFXIII was amazing pisses me off even more.

But this ain't a Capcom hate thread, if you enjoy those titles, cool. I don't.

FourMyle

I don't hate all Capcom fighters. Just post Tatsunoko (which I enjoyed) fighters. I am a big advocate of 3rd Strike, SFA3, VS2, CVS2, and all the older joints before Capcom started dumbing them down, beginning with SFIV.

Lol'd

btw Judgement was straight up waggle garbage and I am insulted you would even list it among greats like Gundam Vs/VOOT/Naruto GNT.

But what can you expect from someone who thinks a3 was good... this shit's going on scrub quotes.

what the hell qualifies something as an "arena fighter". is this more genre dumbness like "survival horror"?
Actually it's close, but still actually has a decent reasoning for having that label. Arena Fighters often have a good scale and freedom of movement, much more than traditional 2D/3D Fighting games. It also includes a lot of interaction through both fighting and the environment. I'm not sure which game is to see as the father of Arena fighters, but I think Ergheiz and Destrega might deserve recognition. Trap Gunner too, Bomb Combos are amazing.
This game is starting to Moe. Does Moe work in modern games?

I love Vanguard Princess

Lol'd

btw Judgement was straight up waggle garbage and I am insulted you would even list it among greats like Gundam Vs/VOOT/Naruto GNT.

But what can you expect from someone who thinks a3 was good... this shit's going on scrub quotes.

Jigga you failed if you played that shit with Wiimote LIKE I mentioned in the OP. Nuff said.
Fixed. Half of the posts here are about dudes calling you out on it and you responding back. :p
Cool, I said my piece, and I'm done with it.

Silky

Banned
Arc + Persona 4 = Persona 4 Arena, Fighting Game GOTY 2012

But Guilty Gear XX A Core+ and JoJo Heritage came out in 2012 and didn't restrict a large playerbase within it's first year because of some bullshit region-lock/year late localizing. I would love Arc to take a stab at the Castlevania Franchise tho

Anyway; Anarchy Reigns is a much different game than Smash Bros.

Fantasmo

WeaponLord was really good. Videos will absolutely not do it justice and it hasn't aged well.

From Wikipedia:
At its core, WeaponLord is a standard 2D fighting game experience. Where it differs is in its gameplay mechanics, and in some of its aesthetic choices and presentation. The game features thrust-blocking, an aggressive blocking system similar to Street Fighter III's parry System. Also introduced in the game are Deflect moves, a counterattack maneuver that each character has. Certain special moves, known as "Take Downs" knock opponents onto their back. A player can then follow up with additional attacks while their foe is still on the floor.

In addition, when certain attacks are performed on an opponent in mid-swing, the player can cut off a piece of their clothing or their hair. Players can finish off matches using "Death Combos" combination attacks that can have a gory effect on opponents.

WeaponLord's fighters possess between 9-12 special moves each. Moves can be executed one of several ways: sweeping motions on the directional pad followed by an attack button, "charge" moves where a directional button is held for 2 seconds quickly followed by the opposite direction, and finally an attack button, or hold down moves where the player must first hold down an attack button, followed by a directional motion, and finish it by releasing said attack button.

Silky

Banned
If ASW is behind it, I would love a Jojo's X Castlevania fighting game.

JoJos x Persona first.

what the hell qualifies something as an "arena fighter". is this more genre dumbness like "survival horror"?

Free-Form movement without being restricted by some grid, using the environment/items to your advantage when fighting against enemies with 4-16 players at once. See; Power Stone, Anarchy, Castlevania, Naruto, etc.

Silky

Banned
Why is OP so hostile towards SFIV?

Something about people liking popular things and being upset at people not liking unpopular things.

Then again I basically stopped seriously playing SF/other capcom fighters since XIII came out so lol it's whatever

khaaan

I don't really remember Anarchy Reigns having profound depth outside of people watching chaos ensue and then cherry picking kills. I stopped playing online after a week though so I don't know if it ever became something more than that. Single player was even less profound since you could put bosses into an infinite loop of hurt using Jack's strong attack.

I had quite a good time completing Castlevania Judgment. Combo system is very interesting and, when practised enough, works flawless and results really fun. Characters have varied enough moves (probably the most varied characters as far as arena fighters go - excluding Smash that I would set apart) and I even dig the weird design. For a Wii game, CJ also has undoubtably good graphics (even great on a crt), and amazing soundtrack. Main letdown to me is 30fps, I feel at 60fps it would have become one of my personal secret niche classics, not so much as it is.

Overall, I reccomend it to anyone into arena fighters, at a budget price obviously (I paid less than 10 EUR for mine), but I can say it's a little game worth your time - at least I think of the ~25 hours I put into it.

Silky

Banned
I don't really remember Anarchy Reigns having profound depth outside of people watching chaos ensue and then cherry picking kills. I stopped playing online after a week though so I don't know if it ever became something more than that. Single player was even less profound since you could put bosses into an infinite loop of hurt using Jack's strong attack.

Basically after people found out that Roman Cancelling of some sort was possible in Anarchy, people have been learning new tech, like infinities and the like. Combos got more interesting to learn when combining with different items and shit like that

I been watchin' them Max vids. CJ looks it would've been fun, even if it may not have actually been that good.

And I never did play the GC and Wii Naruto games. They were good?

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Problem with "Arena fighters"(will use the term for convenience) is that they rarely get the opportunity to iterate. Anarchy and Judgement were good first attempts that could have turned into great games given the chance to learn from what did and didn't work.

They probably had the most active tournament scene for an anime fighting game, peaking at the 4th GC game.

The PS2 Naruto games were pretty well regarded as well, but they really challenged what people expected from and understood about fighting games,(moreso than any other fighting game I've ever played) so they were less popular

JoJos x Persona first.
I'd be down for that.
I been watchin' them Max vids. CJ looks it would've been fun, even if it may not have actually been that good.

As a person who never enjoyed the Ultimate Ninja games and Ninja Storm, yes. Those were some pretty good fighters. I guess you could compare to Bloody Roar with a Naruto twist. It works despite appearing mashy at first.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Theoretical Castlevania Judgement 2 Lineup
To make it simple, just add all the characters that were present in Harmony of Despair but were not on the original Judgment and you would have a killer roster. Getsu Fuuma included.

To make it simple, just add all the characters that were present in Harmony of Despair but were not on the original Judgment and you would have a killer roster. Getsu Fuuma included.

Indeed, It might provide a bigger challenge for combat ideas without it being clouded up with long range whips everywhere. But I would like to see Richter doing slides and uppercuts while Johnathan Morris use more martial arts techniques.

I really would like to see a Galamoth X Dracula encounter seeing as they were rivals in the series, and Galamoth being behind the presence of the Time Reaper in the first game.

Bought this a few months ago but haven't had a chance to really get into it. I'm a huge Power Stone 2 fan though. Played so much of that during my early teenage years.

TreIII

On a sidenote, Whatever happened to Psychic Force 3/Project Psychic?
Ask Square Enix. I'm sure after SE bought Taito in 2005, that a number of their planned projects were killed off. And after that collection for PS2 built up a bit of hype, too... :(

Anyway, I wouldn't mind if Konami ever got 8ing to try a game of this type again. Ideally, more like Naruto GNT...

Ask Square Enix. I'm sure after SE bought Taito in 2005, that a number of their planned projects were killed off. And after that collection for PS2 built up a bit of hype, too... :(

Anyway, I wouldn't mind if Konami ever got 8ing to try a game of this type again. Ideally, more like Naruto GNT...

Shit I'd actually be down for Capcom, (since they developed the Gundam VS. series.)

Regiruler

I believe this was my 2nd/3rd castlevania so the direction didn't throw me off.

It was really fun and looked good on the system for it's time (this was pre-sonic colors) but it needed more characters.

EDIT: And as others have said, the OST was amazing.

Get your hand off it. Alpha 3 was great!

It's not particularly balanced, but it has a great roster and plenty of opportunities for good match ups. I really enjoyed the way you could link combos together. Alpha 3 was active at my local arcade for 5+ years and the skill ceiling was pretty high so don't try to palm it off as a bad game.

Get your hand off it. Alpha 3 was great!

It's not particularly balanced, but it has a great roster and plenty of opportunities for good match ups. I really enjoyed the way you could link combos together. Alpha 3 was active at my local arcade for 5+ years and the skill ceiling was pretty high so don't try to palm it off as a bad game.

Exactly! Alpha 3 wasn't a bad game by any means, and most of all it definitely wasn't mediocre.

Lol'd

Brilliant. In a single line designed purely to establish the prowess of a seasoned pro, it all comes apart.

Esura

Banned
It was actually because Esura called that shit an "ass game" while praising Ninja Storm. I really had to bring up some discussion lol.

---

lol Feel free to debate. I think that whole damn series rides on Naruto's name alone. Notice that you don't see anyone talking about .Hack/Versus

Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm series is the penultimate arena fighter series and I'm going to hip to you the reasons why. It has a huge roster and most feel different from each other. It can feel kinda samey with some characters because either they didn't have that distinctive of a moveset in the actual manga/anime series or because they are just another form of the same character but more powerful. Doesn't hurt that the games are absolutely fucking gorgeous on every conceivable level either.

The gameplay is simple and intuitive as well. I remember you saying something about mashing O to win, well good luck with that against a decent player. Combos get you nowhere in this series since you can just bushin out of a combo. You got to know when and where to actually use your jutsus or the other person just going to come back on your ass hard. Your field of view always stay focused on the enemy in front of you so you don't have to worry about bullshit camera problems like in Judgement and it's item system is much more robust than what Judgement offers. Movement in this series is very fluid as well and doesn't feel all clunky like Judgement.

Probably one of the biggest failings of the game, which is also one of Judgement's issue as well is that certain characters just dominates all the other players in every aspect. At least the Storm series has more shit to make up for it though. Also, Storm series has probably the best single player modes for any anime game ever and it's probably one of the biggest appeal. Not saying that playing with others ain't fun, quite the opposite but the games single player modes really capture what makes the Naruto franchise special to us fans and its why its loved by us Naruto fans.

EDIT: Why people shitting on Alpha 3? That shit was bangin'! The best of the Alpha series imo.

It's a shame this game could never get a sequel because it could actually be pretty fun. True, it had its fair share of problems, most notably the camera, but I really don't think it's anywhere near as bad as the backlash would make you think and a sequel could've potentially fixed that. Also, Aeon was the best part of the game imo.

leroidys

I literally completely forgot this game exists, and I'm a huge Iga fan. I don't think I've ever seen this game used, which seems odd. I'll have to pick it up sometime.

They probably figured that they didn't need PF because they were making Dissidia. And Taito got chained to Wada's vanity project Gyrozetter on top of that

Didn't Maria have insecurities about her breast size in this game?

Which is bizarre because she gets pulled out of the timeline like two years before SOTN, so she should more or less look like she does in that game. Some girls bloom late?

HyperHip

I love this game, still play it from time to time (gonna bring it to NEC this year). Online was pretty good for a wii game as well.

Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm series is the penultimate arena fighter series and I'm going to hip to you the reasons why. It has a huge roster and most feel different from each other. It can feel kinda samey with some characters because either they didn't have that distinctive of a moveset in the actual manga/anime series or because they are just another form of the same character but more powerful. Doesn't hurt that the games are absolutely fucking gorgeous on every conceivable level either.

The gameplay is simple and intuitive as well. I remember you saying something about mashing O to win, well good luck with that against a decent player. Combos get you nowhere in this series since you can just bushin out of a combo. You got to know when and where to actually use your jutsus or the other person just going to come back on your ass hard. Your field of view always stay focused on the enemy in front of you so you don't have to worry about bullshit camera problems like in Judgement and it's item system is much more robust than what Judgement offers. Movement in this series is very fluid as well and doesn't feel all clunky like Judgement.

Probably one of the biggest failings of the game, which is also one of Judgement's issue as well is that certain characters just dominates all the other players in every aspect. At least the Storm series has more shit to make up for it though. Also, Storm series has probably the best single player modes for any anime game ever and it's probably one of the biggest appeal. Not saying that playing with others ain't fun, quite the opposite but the games single player modes really capture what makes the Naruto franchise special to us fans and its why its loved by us Naruto fans.

EDIT: Why people shitting on Alpha 3? That shit was bangin'! The best of the Alpha series imo.

Some things I will give NUNS credit for would be the visuals (CC2's forte, they can't make a decent combat system for shit but they can damn sure make some beautiful games. Although I need to try out Jojo's ASB to see how much they improved). As for the combat system, it's limited, very limited. All fighting games are situational, but this series is hella weak when it comes to strategies, setups, and options. the first game actually had some kinds of setups where you could possibly manipulate the environment or use the assist to create unique setups. Kinda like MVC2. Then through each update, they began to limit your options, all of the stages just became empty rings, you could never (to my knowledge) create interesting or unique juggles with your assist, and at times it felt like you were being punished for using them. The jumping around and stuff was pretty cool but I think that's because it was appropriate for the title. But usually when people tell me they play Ninja Storm it's always for the single player campaign.

All fighting games are situational, Judgement requires a combination of a use of creativity when approaching your enemies to catch them with unique setups through a combination of your abilities, items and basic attacks. As for the camera angle, it's very similar to NUNS, although Ninja Storm has the most dynamic camera between the two, since most of the purpose of the game is for cinematic flair. What makes Judgement a better game is a the overall substance and depth. Both are simple but NUNS really doesn't have much else going for it besides visual flair and fanservice as a fighting game.

I always wished there was a Naruto game that actually focused on the Ninja aspect of it though. That's probably why I enjoy Clash/GNT so much.

As for the guy who disliked Alpha3.... yeah... crazy.

Seik

Banned
I never understood why Richter isn't in the game, he's been in many titles, including two my all time favorite Castlevania, SotN and Dracula X. It was kind of a let down when I saw the whole roster with him missing. :(

Top Bottom