• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Tragedy of Castlevania Judgement. (and other Arena Fighters)

You damn right I am. lol I'm not even gonna front. So many fighting games that had superior gameplay than SFIV/MVC3/SFxTK, the fact that it took EVO2k12 for everyone to realize that KOFXIII was amazing pisses me off even more.

But this ain't a Capcom hate thread, if you enjoy those titles, cool. I don't.
KoFXIII had abysmal online - that alone is enough to kill most fighting games. You need to have that to succeed these days. MvC3 and MK9 got away with it because they were bringing back old franchises.

KoFXIII had abysmal online - that alone is enough to kill most fighting games. You need to have that to succeed these days. MvC3 and MK9 got away with it because they were bringing back old franchises.

This is true, the brands are that strong.

Speaking of online, for the CVJ players that played online, how was it?

Seik

Banned
This is true, the brands are that strong.

Speaking of online, for the CVJ players that played online, how was it?

It was okay from what I remember, though rare were the times I found somebody because I bought the game late.

People were quitting during finishers cut scenes too.

It was okay from what I remember, though rare were the times I found somebody because I bought the game late.

People were quitting during finishers cut scenes too.

That's always been a problem with games that uses cut scenes for supers and finishers. At times I've actually pressed start during a fight because I wanted to get back to the game. Although in this case I don't understand why it would drive someone to quit mid game.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I've heard someone call Archeblade a better version of Castlevania: Judgement. I'd be curious to see what Judgement fans think of that title.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Castlevania: Judgement had shockingly good netcode. If both people had a good connection you wouldn't get any really noticeable frame drops.

I've heard someone call Archeblade a better version of Castlevania: Judgement. I'd be curious to see what Judgement fans think of that title.

Fuck no. That game lacks a decent targeting system with some other stuff. It was an interesting experiment, but honestly.... nah.

Castlevania: Judgement had shockingly good netcode. If both people had a good connection you wouldn't get any really noticeable frame drops.

This definitely needs to be in the OP, makes it even more tragic that we will not be seeing a sequel.

TreIII

They probably figured that they didn't need PF because they were making Dissidia. And Taito got chained to Wada's vanity project Gyrozetter on top of that
If that was at all their thought process, then it still doesn't make any sense. Dissidia was never meant to be Psychic Force (or a replacement), and Taito had/has a healthy arcade market thanks to the X/X2 series of hardware.

They could have at least rode the bit of "resurgence hype" that the PS2 collection fostered and see what happened with a new, PS3-level game for arcades and then consoles back around 2006/2007.

It's all I can hope that maybe PF2012's port on NESiCA earlier this year may mean that some day, Taito will try again with "Project Psychic".

While I'm on the subject of PF, I might as well bring up the other arena fighter that caught my eye back during the PSX-era: "Destrega".

Destrega-uscover.jpg

Before Omega Force became the "Musou/DW company" that most know it for today, they actually made a pretty nifty arena fighter for PSX that you could tell drew some inspiration from "Psychic Force". But I came to like it as its own beast, due to the much more "ground-based" take on projectile-shooting combat.

To this day, I still wish that Koei would go back and give this game another shot in a modern market. Not only would they stand to diversify their catalog a bit more, but Destrega could possibly find a following from those who already like some of the arena-style fighters that are present on the market today.

I never understood why Richter isn't in the game, he's been in many titles, including two my all time favorite Castlevania, SotN and Dracula X. It was kind of a let down when I saw the whole roster with him missing. :(

Iga is/was a CVIII/Trevor fanboy and had been hyping him up as the "ultimate Belmont" or something prior to Judgment. Richter had previously been hyped up as the star of the bloodline, and his moveset would allow him to prove it, and this runs counter to Iga's fantasy

Mista Koo

Arc System Works + Persona = Fighting GotY 2012

Arc System Works + Castlevania = What Judgment should have been.
Yes!

Here's an ASW sized roster:

Y4xl9OT.png

Balanced between Belmonts and non-Belmont protagonists. Also supporting characters with unique weapons.

(I replaced Sypha with Yoko for more balanced representation.)

But I love Takeshi Obata :(

Sure a lot of you might prefer Kojima's art and that's up to your personal taste of course but Obata is great too ! (even of the some of the fan-severicey elements were slightly overdone)
I love like Obata too, but he was the wrong person for the job. Aeon looks amazing, but the redesigns don't.

Popcicle

Hot Texas Chili
Opinions in this thread I agree with:

-Castlevania Judgement was not as bad as I was led to believe
-I had a lot of fun with it
-The artstyle wasn't the best from the series, but I actually enjoyed it for what it was
-The fighting stories and dialogue were cheesy (but in truth I've never played a fighting game with GOOD dialogue in stories so I wasn't expecting anything deep)
-I'd enjoy a sequel

Opinions in this thread I disagree with:

-Lords of Shadow was a God of War clone (only a super shallow interpretation of what Mercury Steam did would lead to this conclusion--really enjoyed the re imagining, and super excited for the finale next year)
-There are too many 2D based fighting games (I feel like we could always use more 2D fighters, we've not yet saturated the market with "trash titles" ala end of SNES era Clay Fighter and Primal Rage...though they also had redeemable features)
-The arena fighting game genre is under represented (seems like there are a lot of these on the market with new iterations for most every series)
-They should make a sequel to Judgement (even though I'd enjoy it, financially its probably not the best direction right now)

Yes!

Y4xl9OT.png

Balanced between Belmonts and non-Belmont protagonists. Also supporting characters with unique weapons.

I love like Obata too, but he was the wrong person for the job. Aeon looks amazing, but the redesigns don't.
I'd rather have adult Maria. And who is the girl on the bottom-right-ish?

Too many dudes with whips there, too.

If that was at all their thought process, then it still doesn't make any sense. Dissidia was never meant to be Psychic Force (or a replacement), and Taito had/has a healthy arcade market thanks to the X/X2 series of hardware.

They could have at least rode the bit of "resurgence hype" that the PS2 collection fostered and see what happened with a new, PS3-level game for arcades and then consoles back around 2006/2007.

It's all I can hope that maybe PF2012's port on NESiCA earlier this year may mean that some day, Taito will try again with "Project Psychic".

While I'm on the subject of PF, I might as well bring up the other arena fighter that caught my eye back during the PSX-era: "Destrega".

Destrega-uscover.jpg

Before Omega Force became the "Musou/DW company" that most know it for today, they actually made a pretty nifty arena fighter for PSX that you could tell drew some inspiration from "Psychic Force". But I came to like it as its own beast, due to the much more "ground-based" take on projectile-shooting combat.

To this day, I still wish that Koei would go back and give this game another shot in a modern market. Not only would they stand to diversify their catalog a bit more, but Destrega could possibly find a following from those who already like some of the arena-style fighters that are present on the market today.
It is weird that despite having the most popular hardware for arcades today, they choose not to support it themselves, especially after fighting games have become so popular.

Yes!

Y4xl9OT.png

I love like Obata too, but he was the wrong person for the job. Aeon looks amazing, but the redesign don't.
Weird, I've grown attached to Obata's depictions of Eric, Sypha, and Grant. lol

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member

Sypha if I'm not mistaken.

Yes!

I don't know where this "small rosters = ASW fighters" notion comes from. BlazBlue and P4A might have relatively small rosters, but Guilty Gear which is the game that made the company known worldwide in the first place has like 23 different chars. I agree with most picks; although I would leave either Yoko or Sypha out and include more baddies like:

Galamoth2-1-.gif

EDIT: Eric? Wait what?

Mista Koo

Young Maria is the original, she was more important in that game (AFAIK, haven't played it) and the younger look adds variety to the cast. The other blonde is Yoko Belnades (AoS, DoS).

It's a Castlevania game, two Belmonts don't cut it :p

Weird, I've grown attached to Obata's depictions of Eric, Sypha, and Grant. lol
Sypha and Grant never got proper/good designs. My vision would be for them to get fleshed out by Kojima based on their original designs.

Young Maria is the original, she was more important in that game (AFAIK, haven't played it) and the younger look adds variety to the cast. The other blonde is Yoko Belnades (AoS, DoS).

It's a Castlevania game, two Belmonts don't cut it :p

I think that roster needs Carmilla though. Her and the Golem were nice for variety in the actual Judgment roster.

custom robo arena was fucking awesome. i need a wii u version, without the shitty pokemon knockoff story. just pure robot fighting and
polishing robot dicks

Mista Koo

I don't know where this small rosters = ASW notion comes from. BlazBlue and P4A might have relatively small rosters, but Guilty Gear which is the game that made the company known in the first place has like 23. Althouh I agree with the picks
Perhaps HD era vs. SD era?

I think that roster needs Carmilla though. Her and the Golem were nice for variety in the actual Judgment roster.
I had her at first, but the way I arranged them fits better without her.

I really hope no game designer thinks this way lol.

Edit: Here you go.

A3s8luh.png

Sypha and Grant never got proper/good designs. My vision would be for them to get fleshed out by Kojima based on their original designs.

True, but I've been playing Judgment so long to the point where it's just stuck in my head now, lol I recognize it as them.

On a side note, me and some friends are currently doing some comparisons between Castlevania and Jojo's characters.

Can you play with classic controller? I Only have a Wii U at my place now, and no gc ports :(

I think you should be able to, since it supports multiple inputs, more than likely. It's not bad considering I've been playing on Dolphin Emulator lately since I don't have a Wii at the momet and using my 360 controller. Though the button layout on the GC does make button combination presses better. Specifically A+Y.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
Perhaps HD era vs. SD era?

I had her at first, but the way I arranged them fits better without her.

I really hope no game designer thinks this way lol.

Edit: Here you go.

http://i.imgur.com/A3s8luh.png[IMG][/QUOTE]

not a fan of that castlevania chronicles simon belmont

bronk

Banned
Rented this game had a blast. I returned it and never thought about it again, until now. I wanna play again and approve of this game.

Regiruler

Lol'd

btw Judgement was straight up waggle garbage and I am insulted you would even list it among greats like Gundam Vs/VOOT/Naruto GNT.

But what can you expect from someone who thinks a3 was good... this shit's going on scrub quotes.

I loved both this and Naruto CoN, don't hate.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
They were thinking that Death Note was gothic and popular and would fit in ascetically. It did not.
It is unfortunate, the author of DN has good art anyways, but it just didn't fully jive with the castlevania u niverse as much as it should, I will say that I don't think the character designs were completely terrible though

Top Bottom