• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The ugliest graphics you have ever seen.

JCK75

This shitshow that seems to be popular for some reason at least among the streamers my kid watches.
440412be0ad16796a9d65fa40b21f4d2.jpg

Dane

Corrected that for you. MS showed actual games and unfortunately got burnt for it. The Xbox 1.5 meme was real and unpalatable, which brings me to my other screenshot of ugliest games.

GUN

This cross gen title wasn't doing 360 any favors while Sony showed off videos of Motorstorm, Gundam and Killzone.

160922-gun-xbox-360-screenshot-a-full-scale-attack-on-the-enemy-fort.jpg

160928-gun-xbox-360-screenshot-this-looks-like-a-good-sniping-point.jpg

Another was Full Auto. How did MS survive E3 2005? lol

full-auto-10.big.jpg

It was me who made the phrase not stranno LOL.

How they survived? Because Xbox 360 was near complete (they were running G5 proto devs though) and to be released in november, PS3 was heading towads mid 06 and ended up delayed. Also Sony confessed shortly after that they were all CGs.

kingbean

The prerendered CGI era has many ugly games

Ragnagard
2.jpg

Tokidensho Angel Eyes
C3AmI4c.png

For some reason in this game half the characters are pixel art and the other half are CGI prerenders.

Pre-rendered characters and digitized characters both look horrible. Even the best of the bunch like Donkey Kong look bad imo.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
This. Basically all PS1 games look fucking hideous now with the ugly ass unstable polygons. Even when upscaled in emulators this can be seen (unless there are plugins or something to fix it now?). N64 games, some of them look like shit, but plenty of them still hold up. And many of them look unexpectedly nice in emulators.
There's a PSX emulator called PCSXR-PGXP. It has a feature called....PGXP. It fixes the texture perspective and removes all the texture warping. IDK why it's such a big deal. It never looked hideous to me, but if you really hate the warping polygons that much, there's that.

Stuart360

There's a PSX emulator called PCSXR-PGXP. It has a feature called....PGXP. It fixes the texture perspective and removes all the texture warping. IDK why it's such a big deal. It never looked hideous to me, but if you really hate the warping polygons that much, there's that.
Because it looked terrible, even at the time in 240p. Play PS1 games at higher resolution and the warping and shimmering is even worse, except you also get huge seems showing where the polgons dont even connect.
Awful.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Because it looked terrible, even at the time in 240p. Play PS1 games at higher resolution and the warping and shimmering is even worse, except you also get huge seems showing where the polgons dont even connect.
Awful.
No one was complaining when the DS had this exact same problem.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
God I hate the faces in Twilight Princess, why is the character design for humans so bad? Twilight Princess is still a great game but the art style didn't age well. Ironically, Wind Waker aged better even though everyone hated the art style back then.
Even Ocarina of Time at least had a much better/cuter artstyle. It wasn't just wind waker that kicked Twilight Princess's ass in terms of artstyle.
Every human face looks so grotesque in Twilight Princess but in Ocarina of Time they looked memorable. In a good way.
Twilight Princess looks memorable in the worst way. Couple that with the edgy-ass wolf sections, (which are lazy since they just add a pixel effect to the same normal areas.) and yeah... Wind Waker's better in terms of Art. It sucks too, especially with amazing looking games like Resident Evil 4 + Remake on the GCN with amazing levels of realism, and Twilight princess doesn't even look good.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
It's a orange box cat.

Look at me chase it around just like a real box cat:

E8WV8v.gif

Man, going to need some additional ram to run this game, whew, that's that Jaguar 50000 pixels per second tri-color coordinated 64-bit multi-purpose bus and draw bridge system at work!!

Have you ever seen a more realistic cat? Likely not, it's life like, these graphics are unbelievable, the math is all there. Did you see that Sky Box outside with the clouds? WOWZERS!

A Brazilian game magazine gave it a 7/10....ha!!

Reon

I love all the zoomers up in here saying all PSX and N64 games look awful when they clearly never owned one and have never played the games the intended way.

PSX/N64 were never intended to be viewed through the lens of an emulator or any kind of non-CRT TV. The art and visual designers specifically made them with the intentions of looking good on the limitations of the CRT and the vast majority of them posted here do. Upscaling them to insane 1080p resolutions and applying all of these emulator post-processing effects will of course make it look like shit, because that's not what the visual artists made. It's like that woman who painted over that picture of Jesus trying to "restore" it.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Some of this isn't too bad, that first shot is fine imo, a little rough in places though, especially the inside of the car for some reason

The lighting, car models and track look good but the scenery is pretty rough. Trees are terrible.

Reon

My contribution is the game "Big Bang" on DOS, it's a fucking insane eyesore but surprisingly doesn't play horribly. Somebody clearly tried to make an actual game engine and then the visual artist dropped acid and puked all over it.

q0U7Yl1.jpg

pRQmAMO.png

1qolDOF.png

Journey

Banned
It was me who made the phrase not stranno LOL.

How they survived? Because Xbox 360 was near complete (they were running G5 proto devs though) and to be released in november, PS3 was heading towads mid 06 and ended up delayed. Also Sony confessed shortly after that they were all CGs.

Weird, how did that happen lol.

sol_bad

I saw a video of this and it plays worse than it looks

Yes, it does indeed, I wondered how the hell my friend actually bought the game back in the day. Nothing on the back of the cover would entice anyone to purchase it. I still have no idea if it was a full priced game back in the day.
It probably was.
*shudder*

nkarafo

Yeah, that's the result of taking graphics that were designed for systems with a higher resolution and greater bit depth on the display and crudely downsampling them rather than redrawing them for the target hardware. It probably worked in a more or less acceptable manner on most platforms, but on the DMG it just ended up as a mess.
I figured they did something like this because there is no way someone designed the game like that. It had to be an automated process.

Still though, this isn't really an excuse. They could just see the results and not release it at this state. Or they could do the same thing RARE did with Donkey Kong Land. Be more competent. The graphics in the DK Land games are also downsampled from Donkey Kong Country series for SNES for the most part and do look a bit rough in places but it's not even close compared to Batman Forever because you can at least understand what you are looking at. I had DK Land 1 and i even thought it looked pretty great.

donkeykongland2.png

hqdefault.jpg

I can still make out the backgrounds. I see windows, crates, a lamp, some bricks, etc. In Batman Forever i can't even understand what the background objects are supposed to be.

Even in the picture below where you can hardly see your character, i can still tell that this is supposed to be a place with a lot of vegetation. Plus it looks better in motion while in Batman it doesn't really matter, you still can't tell what is what.

68723-Donkey_Kong_Land_(USA,_Europe)-2-thumb.png

These aren't the only downsampled Game Boy games. They were plenty after around 1995. Some look OK, some look bad. But Batman Forever is on another level of bad.

Last edited:
A Brazilian game magazine gave it a 7/10....ha!!

Too be fair it came out in 1994, so there wasn't really any alternative available for an open-world driving game. in fact, it was the first open-world 3D driving game.

If Bubsy 3D came out this year like it was supposed to (or first half of 95) it would likely be looked at more fondly today.

PS1 games are hideous.
I love all the zoomers up in here saying all PSX and N64 games look awful when they clearly never owned one and have never played the games the intended way.

PSX/N64 were never intended to be viewed through the lens of an emulator or any kind of non-CRT TV. The art and visual designers specifically made them with the intentions of looking good on the limitations of the CRT and the vast majority of them posted here do. Upscaling them to insane 1080p resolutions and applying all of these emulator post-processing effects will of course make it look like shit, because that's not what the visual artists made. It's like that woman who painted over that picture of Jesus trying to "restore" it.
I owned an N64 and have played PS1 games on the PS2 and PS3 and I think they still look awful, PS1 especially. If you play PS1 games on a CRT, it's still going to look like crap.

Trimesh

Banned
Still though, this isn't really an excuse. They could just see the results and not release it at this state. Or they could do the same thing RARE did with Donkey Kong Land. Be more competent. The graphics in the DK Land games are also downsampled from Donkey Kong Country series for SNES for the most part and do look a bit rough in places but it's not even close compared to Batman Forever because you can at least understand what you are looking at. I had DK Land 1 and i even thought it looked pretty great.

I wasn't trying to justify it - it was clearly a minimum effort port, and it shows. Sadly, there was a lot of stuff on the GameBoy like that, which was a pity, since it was capable of excellent results if you approached the development with consideration of the hardware limitations in mind.

Top Bottom