• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the best looking game that YOU have ever seen?

Lethal01

image.png
image.png
image.png

guiltygear2020-screenshot2.jpg
ggstrive-beta-screenshot-april2020-3.jpg

mega-man-legends-2-3.png
mega-man-legends-2-4.png

Dragons-Crown-Pro-4K-Screenshot-2.jpg
Dragons-Crown-Pro-4K-Screenshot-1.jpg

3b7a74e69bca136ad57a6affd02cf4f2740319c1.jpeg
shinobi3_cb_off9kkaw.jpg

Fb0iMLX.jpg

7 way split​

Last edited:
This is obviously subjective based on art style, photo realism, graphic fidelity, etc. What for you has been the peak of what a game should/has looked like up to this point in gaming? Even if it's skyrim with 100+ mods. Hit us with some beautiful-ass gifs/images 😍
Right now hands down. The best looking game is that Hellblade 2 by ninja theory. There is no other game right now that we have seen that can beat it or equal it. Xbox is betting big on the game for that reason. No playstation game right now can beat it. Until we see what naughty dogs next game has up it's sleeve of course

Last edited:

Eimran

Till this very day Red Dead Redemption 2 still staggers me with its beauty.

I just played the RE4 remake and how beautiful it may be, it also showed me how well the original still holds up today.

My all time favorite from the PS2 era is still MGS3 however. That game even outranks many PS3 games.

Last edited:

Hunnybun

I'm consistently baffled by how little credit R&C gets in these threads. Just goes to show how much harder it is to impress with stylized visuals. Not a single mention in the past 20 odd posts.

For me it's quite obviously the best looking console game. HFW matches it in parts but is miles behind in others.

This is an interesting and kind of a bit of a complicated topic at the same time. If you've asked me this about a decade ago it would be a lot easier to answer. But these days, technology has reached quite high pevel and because of this many titles that are coming out now are quite impressive visually.

You see, I can't say that Hogwarts Legacy for example is better or worse looking something like The Last of Us 2 or whatever else. Simply because both games are very great looking visually but due to different factors, whether it's the universe itself, art style and the engine that they use.

The Last of Us 2 is def up there if we are talking strictly as video game technology and realism. But then we have God of War Ragnarok, it's also good looking but it's a bit more colorful and has a more stylized artstyle. So which one is better looking, GoW R or TLOU 2? Well the answer is neither, they are beautiful and unique in their own ways.

If you are asking what's the best art direction I've ever seen, then my answer would easily be the From Software titles, more specifically Bloodborne. From Software are just in a class of their own when it comes to art direction. As far as tech and optimization goes, they are god-awful at it.

World of Warcraft is also quite impressive, it's an ancient game at this point but it's art style and consistent engine upgrades make it a looker despite the game being more low poly than most modern titles.

Sea of Thieves even though it uses UE4 has a really unique art direction and it's vivid colors are fun and enjoyable to look at.

If I had to do a list of best looking titles I've ever seen it go like this in no particular order.

DOOM Eternal is quite amazing as well from its visual level design spectacle, to the gore system and the Demons. Very awesome engine and runs super smooth and fun to look at.

World of Warcraft
Bloodborne
The Last of Us Part II
Sea of Thieves
DOOM Eternal

Never played RDR2 so it's not on the list for me since I've never personally played it, but it does seem pretty good looking.

Hunnybun

RDR2 looks incredible in screens and on YouTube etc, but I never found it that amazing when playing on the Pro - which admittedly is a pretty poor version. The HDR in particular is completely fucked and should be turned off.

It's a crying shame they never bothered with a next gen upgrade.

Knightime_X

Really depends.
There were multiple instances where I've seen the best looking game I've ever seen.

In order..
Super mario bros 1 - nes
Sonic the hedgehog - genesis
Final fantasy 6 - snes
Donkey Kong country - snes
Killer instinct - arcade
Final fantasy 7 - ps1
Dead or alive 2 - dreamcast
Quake 2 pc (seeing realtime high resolution in a game for the first time)
Resident evil 4 - gamecube
Resident evil 5 - xbox 360
Modern warfare 2 - xbox 360
Pc gaming 2009 - present day

I think Elden Ring is really beautiful, especially in certain areas. I don't know that it's the absolute -best- looking game I've ever played, but it's one of them. Not really sure what would be thinking on it, but I don't play a lot of cutting edge games.

Top Bottom