• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the best looking game that YOU have ever seen?

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
RDR2 with TLOU close behind for realism. Flight Sim too obviously but that's a bit of a weird case.

Kena for a game's graphics I wish I could eat. Shame the game itself was so uninspired.

Last edited:

Venom Snake

There are probably a thousand reasons why my choice is objectively wrong, but since we're talking about our personal experiences..

2163tu.jpg

gs4qoo.jpg

Hunnybun

I still think Ratchet & Clank for consistency. HFW at its best probably looks as good as Ratchet at its best, but it's such a mixed bag. Most vistas are covered in ugly fog, for a start, and the narrow FOV really bothers me. I constantly feel the need to pan the camera around just to get a feel for the graphics.

I was also way more impressed by the RE4 demo than I was expecting, it really looks great to me.

Finally, I think the following are almost certainly underrated, although I haven't got round to playing them yet so it's just from YouTube footage:

Dead Space
Callisto Protocol
GOW Ragnarok

I think Ragnarok looks roughly on a par with HFW tbh, but it suffers from being a smaller jump from the first game.

ironmang

KZ Mercenary was the last time my mind was blown by how good a game looked given what I was playing it on.
kzm_screenshots_01292013_02.1359594565.jpg

The first times I played Gears of War and MGS2 are up there as well.

Nowadays there's so many great looking games that nothing really sticks out to me anymore as being notable.

Hunnybun

I think the bow combat has been refined and made more like what the original gameplay made it appear to be, you don't need to kill the machines to get most of the components, you just detach most of them, so tearblast arrows are rarer and harder to craft, at least in the first half of the game. If you don't remove the rare parts of the robot before you destroy it they will explode*.

I think it makes it more exciting fighting them because of this since its not just about pure damage.

I think the same issue could exist with the new stuff but you can mainline the story a lot more easily in this one imo.

All the old machines and many new ones with extremely good animations make it a good upgrade in that regard too.

The graphics are mind-boggling good: definitely play in Fidelity mode even if you dislike 30fps because the image quality being that high is important to the whole package of how it looks imo, unless you have a small TV you sit far from.

The music is excellent and the side missions are actually pretty varied in their themes and content. Even when it's a fetch quest the characters and the performances make it fun just to get back to them to watch the cutscene.

I don't think the story is as cool as the original, so far anyway, but still very interesting. The bigger towns and the nature tribe's area especially feel really alive and awesome.

*If you dislike the random element of the looting from the previous game you can turn it off in this one, that also disables the new part removal system.

At that point the only annoying thing about the looting system for me is removed because you don't have to farm large robots for large cores as much, I think they wanted to make you focus on one type of armor but it's hell for completionists.

They thought of this and put a merchant who trades small, medium and large cores for animals parts, the medium core one is a cinch to farm, like 10 mins for 25+ cores, the large one as well I'm sure too but the negative is you have to go all the way to the west coast which I've been reluctant to do, I may just wing it there soon though.

If you care about graphics don't play at 30fps, it's a fucking slideshow and ugly as sin.

Duchess

I know I'm not alone having witnessed the graphics during one generation, and thought: "Wow, graphics can't get any better than this."

I thought that a lot when I saw screenshots from Dreamcast games, back in the day.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I know I'm not alone having witnessed the graphics during one generation, and thought: "Wow, graphics can't get any better than this."

I thought that a lot when I saw screenshots from Dreamcast games, back in the day.
That's a better question. When did you see graphics and think they would be almost impossible to beat.
Swordofsodan4.jpg

Because Sword of Sodan was it for me. Having a spectrum 48k this was otherworldly lifelike graphics to me.

Last edited:

Loads of examples of being impressed when tech was making leaps between generations.

But I remember absolutely hating Wind Waker graphics until I saw it running in Dixons. The bit with the sail dropping down drew gasps. In the days of magazines and dailup modem, it was a revelation.

Last edited:

Xtib81

On PS5, nothing comes close to Forbidden west. CP2077 is in 2nd position. Never been that immersed in a world.

How sony even got some of their recent games like ragnarok and forbidden west on a base PS4, I'll never know. It shows that we haven't even scratched the surface of what PS5 and series x are actually capable of if developers focused on them only.
God of War Ragnarok doesn't look that much different visually to be honest.

Yes, you won't see a true gen PS5/Series X game till the end of the cycle. TLOU 2 came out same year as the PS5 and was the perfect send of.

Josemayuste

Red Dead Redemption 2
The Last of Us Part I & 2
Demon's Souls
Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart
Horizon Forbidden West
Elden Ring
Atomic Heart
Hogwarts Legacy
Valheim
The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild

And the list goes on..

Oh, I MUST add Resident Evil 4 Remake and Bloodborne, of course, art style plays a huge role for me.

Last edited:

Holammer

676135605B8C226365C094C283DAC27CEEA61675

Souldiers blew my mind with the best pixel art ever. Better than peak Capcom art from the 16-32bit eras (ReShade CRT filter added).

3C6DAA0E43B48BBB9DAB90E5E3A93A273A5E0463

This early section in Ori almost made me cry because it was so beautiful. Modern technology and art, but the way they used traditional parallax layers makes it feel authentically old school. Used to incredible effect at the entrance to the Ginso tree.

pBIhIjW.jpg

BotW was kinda mindblowing too. If you play it with CEMU + all sorts of hacks like 300% shadows, better LOD, tree/foliage draw distance and RTGI via ReShade.

Wen i was heavily into PC gaming, i was obsessed with modding and i unleashed that obsession on Crysis. My eyes had an orgasm in 2010 wen i finally settled on what i believed was the absolute best graphics i have ever seen. There's nothing really that impressed me as much as that. Console games never impressed me as much compared to whatever i could mod on my PC.

Umbasaborne

Banned
Cyberpunk 2077 Maxed out. The game looks soo good that i didn't even play the missions lol, instead im just walking and looking around. Can't wait for the Overdrive mode (to destroy my GPU lol).

Images from Lodoss
Yeah, i got my first gaming pc earlier this year and cyberpunk still blows my fucking mind

Very subjective...but a few off the top of my head

The opening of Mario Galaxy, running about in the heart of the magic kingdom, colorful, nostalgic, fun...blew me away at the time. The kid living in my brain just wanted to explore this colorful, living, happy area, greet every little toad dude

For similar reasons, LoZ: Windwaker! Interesting choice, colorful, fun. I enjoyed that games graphics more than other mainline LoZ of the time (and therfor had a fun tike playing in that world), even if the other games were technically "better"

"Whisky Hotel" mission from CoD MW2. Walking out into the night, fighting, flames, radio chatter, explosions all around me. I remember being amazed at it when I first saw it. In fact, I may redownload MW1/2 just to run through the campaign again now I'm thinking of it

RdR2 for obvious reasons that others have gone into

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
This is way too hard to decide. I’m leaning towards Red Dead Redemption 2 and Metro Exodus.

If we’re talking straight up main characters than The Last of Us. Tess is probably the most impressive I’ve ever seen with her detail and facial expressions.

This unreleased mod of GTA V is the best I have seen:

Wow! The overcast scenes look like filmed footage of a city. My eyes haven't been tricked by real-time graphics like this in a while.

----------

Regarding the topic, my personal, subjective most-blown-away moment was Bioshock; it was the first game I played for that gen and first game I played on an HDTV. Totally immersed.

Recently, it's Demon's Souls remake.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Honestly, I'm still amazed with how detailed and natural the visuals are in The Division. There are just so many locations in that game that always give me a pause and I will stop to look around, which is incredible for a game that came out in early 2016.
1CADCD33D44519C3D540D74F0DF4D248BEE50AAC
230E17AB97F13D21C995874CCD26596DF700282F
5636D9E2EA158A90260AF1246ECB4094D0E2023C

I'm also a sucker for space games and there are a few contenders there that also amazed me with their visuals, among them being: Homeworld series, Elite Dangerous, Star Citizen...

Last edited:

drotahorror

Wow! The overcast scenes look like filmed footage of a city. My eyes haven't been tricked by real-time graphics like this in a while.

----------

Regarding the topic, my personal, subjective most-blown-away moment was Bioshock; it was the first game I played for that gen and first game I played on an HDTV. Totally immersed.

Yeah I'll never forget when that water busted through the door. I always loved water graphics and even to this day that part still looks good.

1. TLOU2 - it's really damn amazing and consistent. Haven't play Part 1 remake so don't know about that.
2. Cyberpunk 2077 - with RTX Overdrive on it's the most advanced and demanding game out right now but you could easily enjoy it without RTX.
3. RDR2 - only played it on base PS4 and on PC for like an hour. It had no right looking that good on PS4. Not sure if it holds up.
4. Flight Sim - it's a great looking game but it is a flight sim... so you're staring at a plane, clouds, sky, water, or not so great 3D models and ground textures (if you're taking off/landing).

Laptop1991

Far Cry and Crysis back then, more recently the recent Assassin's Creed's, especially Odyssey on PC and Cyberpunk 2077

Last edited:

L*][*N*K

Banned
Forza Horizon 5 when it comes to photorealistic graphics, but if it is a question of Art direction then it is eitger BoTW or Elden Ring

Guwop

Neo Member
This might sound crazy, but GTA 5 maxed out still looks damn good. Especially with the mods. It looks so real.

Next would be Horizon Forbidden West.

Top Bottom