• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the best looking game that YOU have ever seen?

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
It's a little unfair, because obviously most recent games will have an edge.

The game that most impressed me graphically ever was Virtua Fighter 3 for the Arcades. I remember thinking " they're not using polygons, this thing is too round".. that kinda sums it up

SSfox

Even on console? That's how I played it. I get why people love it. Those in world events make one of the most dynamic worlds I've ever seen. That's why I really have hope for gta6. My optimal experience for gta 6 would be if they kept and advanced on the physics of max payne 3 and added the depth of rdr2
Yes i played it on PS4, i've 300H solo and 1800H in Online. Just making run with L3 instead of x x x x x x is already a huge deal, and there are also many other stuffs that make the shooting and exploration much better and more fluid. And many other cool little things.

Here's a guide in case you want to try

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Did the gameplay feel like much of the same? I loved HZD for most of the game, but then it started to feel repetitive. Does this comment mean it's the same for HFW? That's why I've been skeptical of getting it

I think the bow combat has been refined and made more like what the original gameplay made it appear to be, you don't need to kill the machines to get most of the components, you just detach most of them, so tearblast arrows are rarer and harder to craft, at least in the first half of the game. If you don't remove the rare parts of the robot before you destroy it they will explode*.

I think it makes it more exciting fighting them because of this since its not just about pure damage.

I think the same issue could exist with the new stuff but you can mainline the story a lot more easily in this one imo.

All the old machines and many new ones with extremely good animations make it a good upgrade in that regard too.

The graphics are mind-boggling good: definitely play in Fidelity mode even if you dislike 30fps because the image quality being that high is important to the whole package of how it looks imo, unless you have a small TV you sit far from.

The music is excellent and the side missions are actually pretty varied in their themes and content. Even when it's a fetch quest the characters and the performances make it fun just to get back to them to watch the cutscene.

I don't think the story is as cool as the original, so far anyway, but still very interesting. The bigger towns and the nature tribe's area especially feel really alive and awesome.

*If you dislike the random element of the looting from the previous game you can turn it off in this one, that also disables the new part removal system.

At that point the only annoying thing about the looting system for me is removed because you don't have to farm large robots for large cores as much, I think they wanted to make you focus on one type of armor but it's hell for completionists.

They thought of this and put a merchant who trades small, medium and large cores for animals parts, the medium core one is a cinch to farm, like 10 mins for 25+ cores, the large one as well I'm sure too but the negative is you have to go all the way to the west coast which I've been reluctant to do, I may just wing it there soon though.

KXVXII9X

Ghost of Tsushima -
Probably the winner. The scenery, lighting, the crazy vegetation tech, the colors and contrast, and the cinematic feel is 😙👌

Sky: Children of the Light - ThatGameCompany took the magic of Journey and expanded on it. Even for being on mobile it is absolutely gorgeous. The art direction is top tier.

Stray -
It was the lighting and environmental design for me. Very atmospheric and love the semi-paintery textures mixed in with real ones.

Bloodborne -
One of the reasons I even started becoming obsessed about art direction and environmental design. The atmosphere could cut you like a knife.

Ori and the Will of the Wisp -
The games visuals moved me to tears

Others: Hi-Fi Rush, Guilty Gear Strive, TLOU Part 2/Uncharted 4, The Last Guardian, Horizon Forbidden West, Luigi's Mansion 3, Origami King, Replaced, Fortnite with Lumen and Nanite, and Sifu. I can't pick just one lol

skyfall

OM-_T2.png

fa3bd735-c551-11ea-b4ef-33ff548a5aa7.cf.jpg

ER-_H6.png

SC-_J1.png

POSTYELLOW.png

Paper mario origami king

Lasha

Probably guilty gear strive or Subnautica. Strive looks too good to be real. The art and animation are incredible. I think it's overlooked because it's a fighting game.

Subnautica's world is gorgeous. Each biome is recognizable with a unique aesthetic. I've never stopped thinking about the world since beating the game. I wish it were a real place.

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
For me the best ones were Final Fantasy 13. And i have to give GOW 3 a nod too. This is because the previous GOW had in game cinematics( ugly) and cinematics( great) and when we got to GOW 3 we found out that all the game will be like the PS2 cinematics?!
For FF13 I had to look the hairs of the characters to be sure if it was in game of "true" cinematics. They were that good.
I know that we got better since and would say the demon souls, HFW and R&C but the biggest jump was FF13 for be back then.

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
It's a toss up between cuphead, guilty gear, and ratchet and clank. I never thought I'd get to see the day that I get to play a cartoon, but here we are.

HoodWinked

The last time I was impressed by visuals was the facial animations in Injustice 2. They achieved some kind of dark black magic when they made these cut scenes, some perfect combination of artists, tech, animators, actresses performance and the Harley Quinn character really achieved something far ahead of its time. Even more modern games with better tech still don't look as natural and believable.

tRyIXuA.gif
nGdFalN.gif

shiru

Banned
Metal Slug and Yoshi's Island. I also quite like GoW 2,3 & Ghost of Sparta. The latter looks incredible for a psp game. I think RE4 (GC) still looks sublime. I'll never forget the first time I played it. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. Same with Metroid Prime.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Overall it must be uncharted 4.
Games like demons or forbidden west do look better technically but uc4 is the whole package and the biggest jump.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Red Dead Redemption 2
Cyberpunk 2077
Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart
Ori and the Will of the Wisps

All for different reasons.

I’ll even throw in Scorn in there, on PC, because of the art direction, it’s not consistent but at times it looked absolutely fantastic.
The Ascent is underrated on the visuals too, the world feels lived in like few other games.

But if I would choose just one I’d go with Red Dead Redemption 2, it has a huge and dynamic world that is almost alive and a visual quality consistency in everything from weather to terrain to characters to animals to animations that no other game come close imo.

Boss Mog

In terms of image quality it's Horizon Forbidden West for me. I'm still kind of blown away by how good it looks in performance mode running at 60fps on PS5. Cyberpunk 2077 (I played on PS5, though PC is better of course) is a close second for me and really impressive for a 3rd party console game which again runs at 60fps.

In terms of artistic beauty it's hard to say, too many come to mind.

Last edited:
Think it will be pretty hard to beat Horizon Forbidden West until Naughty Dog releases their first current gen game.
Nah they’ll be developing it with the steam deck in mind now so I expect a souped up PS4 game like last of us part 1 unfortunately.

Bluepoint, GG, insomniac and sucker punch however….

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Luigi’s mansion 3
Kid Icarus Uprising.
Resogun
Dragon Ball Fighter Z
Metal Slug
Street fighter alpha
Street fighter 3
Aladin
Duck Tails
BotW
The touryst
Many of Way forward’s games
F-Zero GX
Rogue squadron on GC
Wave Rave 64
RE:R on 3DS

To name a few

Last edited:

BootsLoader

Banned
N64: Perfect dark - I was blown by the graphics and the lightning.

PS2: Final Fantasy 12 - Nough said.

GC: Star Wars - It still looks great.

PS3: The last of us.

PS4: The last of us Part II and uncharted 4.

Imtjnotu

batman arkham knight GIF

arkham city. this game blew me away.

others for the time they were released.

Gran turismo 3

God of war 3

Uncharted 2

Chronicles of Riddick.

Gears of war

Black

Ratchet and clank rift in time

Okami

Art Direction wise? Either Bloodborne or Elden Ring.

From pure graphics probably The Last of Us Part II. I am still puzzled to this day how that game looks that good on a very old ancient hardware with a measly 1.84 tflops.

How sony even got some of their recent games like ragnarok and forbidden west on a base PS4, I'll never know. It shows that we haven't even scratched the surface of what PS5 and series x are actually capable of if developers focused on them only.

Last edited:

Seider

Last of Us Remake on Playstation 5 at 1440p 60 fps or in its Pc version on a RTX 3080 Ultra settings, 60 fps and 4K resolution.

GymWolf

Horizon forbidden west for sheer graphic impact and characters render

Tlou2 for realistic animations and digital acting

Dmc 5 for flashy animation

Flight simulator for looking like real life even if the game is super boring (for me)

Rdr2 for the sheer amount of microdetails and unique animations that dwarf every other game 1000 to 1 and for looking good (but maybe not incredible anymore) pretty much at any given moment, you can feel that every little thing was designed with love and care

Rift apart for looking kinda like a pixar movie

I'm probably forgetting some other category.

Roberts

One of the strongest memories of being blown away by visuals in a game was when I finally got out of the tutorial sewers in Oblivion.

Last edited:

Closer

Yoshi's Island, Okami, Journey, Child of Light, Rayman Legends, Ori, Vanillaware games... These are some of those I call best looking games. They fill me with joy and love for the medium just by looking at them.

Last edited:
Demon's Souls on PS5. Ratchet has scenes that are more impressive (thanks to reflections) but never more beautiful and is very uneven.

DS remake is a 10/10 piece of art from start to end.

KaiserBecks

Here is my suggestion without caring enough to provide a picture. What the fuck is wrong with you people do you think your word is good enough this is a serious topic!

Top Bottom