• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The ugliest graphics you have ever seen.

I dare you to beat my example.

There are ugly games and then there's the "what the hell am i looking at" Batman Forever for the Game Boy. I literally don't know what some of these backgrounds are suppose to represent.

A couple of screens i made with a Game Boy shader:

Batman-Forever-USA-Europe-191020-165352.png

Batman-Forever-USA-Europe-191020-165445.png

And a couple i found from later levels:

Untitled.png

Untitled2.jpg

This is a finished product that got sold for money. Look at those flat, empty surfaces, look at those smudges and those garbled things. Just look at it!
I see your batman, and I raise you Perfect Weapon on PS1.

Comes with a story. Id been reading my big brothers gaming magazines(egm or gamepro) and saw an ad about all the moves the character had and wanted it.

Was his birthday and my mom asked what game he wanted. I told her perfect weapon

He didnt talk to me or her for a month LOL
FkCqq2X.jpg

FkCqq2X.jpg

SMQ0uYZ.jpg

SMQ0uYZ.jpg

Last edited:
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
EGA color palette: The Thread

vgalemmi_003.png

Being a bit harsh on Lemmings there. Admittedly the yellow is awful but it’s not a million miles from the proper palette and Lemmings was never the most technical game, other than the landscape deformation, instead being notable for wonderful animation to go with its stellar gameplay (did the ega version fuck up the animation?)..

Bubsy 3D

bubsy3d-3.png

Controls and frame rate were horrible also.

BONUS ITEM:
Haze is a perfect example of what I'm talking about, the game looks so much fucking worse than Timesplitters 2 and 3, it's hard to believe it's from the same developers.

The 7th gen was in some ways a downgrade over the 6th, it just really brings back bad memories to look at crap like Haze.

CHEROKEEE

And Spectrum, probably the less capable of those 8-bit computers, had really good looking titles. Like Target Renegade.

[/QUOTE]

yep, at least the sprites seem quite snappy and smooth on the spectrum...

I was the unlucky kid with a Commodore C16 when all my buddies had a C64... and since I LOVED International Karate on the C64 I rushed out to buy that new released Conversion for my C16 Day One for like 70 Bucks !!

Once I got home my first impressions where… erm ´Sobering´ to say the least... o_O

stranno

BONUS ITEM:
Amazing! I have finished Bubsy 3D and i actually like It. Imo It was a very ambitious game and Eidetic did a great job regarding level design, puzzles, secrets, etc.

How well it sold? I have been always curious about why Sony gave the Syphon Filter project to them.

Amazing! I have finished Bubsy 3D and i actually like It. Imo It was a very ambitious game and Eidetic did a great job regarding level design, puzzles, secrets, etc.

How well it sold? I have been always curious about why Sony gave the Syphon Filter project to them.
Well, I should elaborate - the publisher I worked at was in the UK, called Telstar Electronic Studios. They did a small amount of internal development, but their focus was to be European publishers for games that already had publishers in other areas of the world. Such as Bubsy 3D.

At the time we picked it up, Bubsy 3D was in beta (if you think the finished game has issues, you can only imagine what it was like at beta stage). Aside from extra languages, PAL modifications and PlayStation EMEA TRC standards, Telstar had little input into the game.

Why did Telstar choose to pick this up?
All management, across teams in the company would perform due-dilligence on anything the company was interested in publishing. Sales, Marketing, Dev, QA, Accounts etc.
QA and Dev said "Do not touch this. It's garbage. It'll tank and it'll be remembered as being terrible."
Sales and Marketing said "If we can push this out quickly, we can claim to have published the first 3D platformer in the UK - ahead of Mario 64's UK release".
And that was that.

Eidetic went on to far better things.
Given that Telstar didn't have total oversight of the entire project - from conception to release - I assume that Bubsy 3D was a badly managed project by its native publishers.

With the exception of Ulillillia (also here) , I've probably played more Bubsy 3D than most. And certainly more of its worst parts. I think I've paid my dues since then.
I left the industry about 10 years ago. No regrets. No desire to return.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Honestly I'm going to do a hot take here and say super Mario 64
Bland colors, bland textures, bland everything.
Hate the game and the system it was on
The DS game at least had textures

nkarafo

ed7f0499-816e-4558-bd82-179bb84c61c3.jpg

Look at the state of this. We here in the year 2059 laugh at this pixel piece of crap. You guys probably still use those things in your hand ....controllers. It's all about the Degenatron
The trees in this game look like shit even now. Even the older Forza 4 on 360 has much better models for trees instead of the cardboard ones.

I disagree ofc, but not gonna convince you otherwise.

Still, these pictures look worse than the real thing. High-rez emulated shots without antialiasing do look like shit. The real game on a real CRT looks better.

If you are going to emulate low res consoles, you better use some scanline and blending color filters, plus antialiasing for the N64.

Last edited:

Chastten

Banned
I can see why younger folk hate graphics like Super Mario 64 but to me they're still nostalgic AF. If I hadn't gotten rid of my CRT TV I could still turn on SM64 and play it for an entire day without issues. After playing GB, NES and MegaDrive for years, booting up the N64 for the very first time was truly a magic moment.

But yeah, nowadays those graphics look pretty dated and they certainly aged worse than SNES/MegaDrive.

nkarafo

It doesn't help when you blow these low res 3D graphics to higher resolutions without the CRT layer or (in case of the N64) the antialiasing filter.

It's the same thing that happens when you do this to 2D low res graphics. Normally, 8/16bit games don't look as blocky thanks to the CRT blending the pixels. But in emulators without filtering or shaders, at high resolutions you see a bunch of raw pixels that look horrible. It's also one of the reasons i hate modern 2D "retro look" games. Because they think the games looked blocky like those emulators, they don't understand that the CRT was like the final layer that offered the needed color/pixel blending for the picture.

Genesis games look even worse and downright wrong without it since the games used the CRT and composite to blend the dithering effect into extra colors and transparencies.

In conclusion, in order to see the graphics of the N64 or older consoles as intended, you need a CRT. Anything else will look worse, unless you are using RetroArch shaders and know what you are doing. And even then you are still missing other effects like the CRT glow/luminance.

So, younger people who never had a CRT in their life have only seen all these games on emulators, with the raw, unfiltered, high-res output. No wonder they think games looked like shit.

Last edited:

Journey

Banned
This one falls more into the category of Promised VS Delivered FAIL.

This is a PS3 title for fucks sake! I've seen better PS1 games

maxresdefault.jpg

People were crapping their pants at E3 when they saw this video

stranno

Ugliest soccer games i've ever seen:

Amsoccer (Amstrad CPC). Its probably the worst soccer game ever developed in regard to to the platform capabilities. Why in the hell they developed a soccer game with the Legend of Zelda scroll is beyond me.. Tho i have to say that it is more like a pretty (i mean, pretty..) pong clone than a absolutely horrendous soccer game.

Y6bbS71.gif

In order to compare, CPC also had this masterpiece: Emlyn Hughes International Soccer. Probably the best 8-bit soccer game ever developed. Not only the graphics, it had tons of stuff.

dJiuhx9.gif

World Cup Italia 90 (Genesis). Its basically a Master System game on Genesis: colors, menus, ingame graphics, SFX, everything looks totally outdated. BUT, to be fair, i have to say that it was the ONLY soccer game on Genesis until Kick Off in 1992. No kidding, Genesis only had this soccer game for three damn years! Don't misunderstand me, it still sucks.

o3J7HSI.gif

This is a PS3 title for fucks sake! I've seen better PS1 games
This is a *launch PS3 title.

Crossfire graphics were quite good and it had cool reflections/lightning model. The problem is the performance. It is one of the games with worst performance on Playstation 3, it is borderline unplayable on the real hardware. On RPCS3 (it has been correctly emulated recently) it performs much better.

Last edited:

Journey

Banned
This is a *launch PS3 title.

Crossfire graphics were quite good and it had cool reflections/lightning model. The problem is the performance. It is one of the games with worst performance on Playstation 3, it is borderline unplayable on the real hardware. On RPCS3 (it has been correctly emulated recently) it performs much better.

I fail to see how adding the word *Launch changes anything. Are you defending the PS3's honor or something? lol

Performance isn't the only problem, the game simply sucks bad. This review btw is HYSTERICAL! I crack up every time.

Last edited:

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
It was a pretty fun game though as far as i recall

I only tried it out once in one of those demo shops, but I remember I found it to be horrible and almost uncontrollable, at least on PS1. But hey, it was some 25 years ago.

stranno

I fail to see how adding the word *Launch changes anything.
Nobody knew how to use the Cell processor at that point so launch title tag, in fact, matters. In my opinion, not only it is not a bad game, it is quite good. The only Gundam game with realistic physics, water deformation, destructible objects, you can aim specific parts of the enemies, etc. I guess the auto-aiming was added because of the performance, it could be hard to deal with waves of enemies manually. Still, it wont help with certain enemies so manual aiming is sometimes mandatory.

That video is the classic G4 crap, nothing new. "Playstation graphics", yeah, ok..

Last edited:

Katsura

I only tried it out once in one of those demo shops, but I remember I found it to be horrible and almost uncontrollable, at least on PS1. But hey, it was some 25 years ago.
Oh, i didn't even know it was on ps1. I only played it on pc. That might explain it

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Btw just another thing, psx games on emulators looked better than sm64
I shouldn't need to buy hardware from 20 years ago to "truly experience a game"
Shows how bad it aged. I'll take conker anyday over this flat color mess

Von Hugh

Nobody knew how to use the Cell processor at that point so launch title tag, in fact, matters. In my opinion, not only it is not a bad game, it is quite good. The only Gundam game with realistic physics, water deformation, destructible objects, you can aim specific parts of the enemies, etc. I guess the auto-aiming was added because of the performance, it could be hard to deal with waves of enemies manually. Still, it wont help with certain enemies so manual aiming is sometimes mandatory.

That video is the classic G4 crap, nothing new. "Playstation graphics", yeah, ok..

This thread is about ugly graphics. That game is ugly.

prag16

Banned
Some N64 games actually look pretty good, when running through Project64 at high resolutions. PS1 games look awful though because of the unfiltered textures, and shimmering and warping polygons.
I can go back to N64 games, but cant play PS1/Saturn games anymore.
This. Basically all PS1 games look fucking hideous now with the ugly ass unstable polygons. Even when upscaled in emulators this can be seen (unless there are plugins or something to fix it now?). N64 games, some of them look like shit, but plenty of them still hold up. And many of them look unexpectedly nice in emulators.

Journey

Banned
E3 2005 was the E3 of SONY lies.

Corrected that for you. MS showed actual games and unfortunately got burnt for it. The Xbox 1.5 meme was real and unpalatable, which brings me to my other screenshot of ugliest games.

GUN

This cross gen title wasn't doing 360 any favors while Sony showed off videos of Motorstorm, Gundam and Killzone.

160922-gun-xbox-360-screenshot-a-full-scale-attack-on-the-enemy-fort.jpg

160928-gun-xbox-360-screenshot-this-looks-like-a-good-sniping-point.jpg

Another was Full Auto. How did MS survive E3 2005? lol

full-auto-10.big.jpg

Last edited:

Hulk_Smash

Banned
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess.
I've always hated the art style of this game and it's, in my opinion, the ugliest Zelda game ever.
the-legend-of-zelda-twilight-princess-ordon.jpg

Twilight-Princess-HD-11.jpg

You’re right. Arguably uglier than even Zelda 2. Most fans would disagree with you. Not sure why though. I guess most fans have a piss fetish, because that sure looks like what is smeared all over the screen.

Rin_Chan

Neo Member
You’re right. Arguably uglier than even Zelda 2. Most fans would disagree with you. Not sure why though. I guess most fans have a piss fetish, because that sure looks like what is smeared all over the screen.
God I hate the faces in Twilight Princess, why is the character design for humans so bad? Twilight Princess is still a great game but the art style didn't age well. Ironically, Wind Waker aged better even though everyone hated the art style back then.

Top Bottom