• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.
Daniel Hannan looking very nervous and talking about a phased approach to repatriation of powers from the EU.

Leave camp know they've fucked it. Good. I hope they don't have a pleasant night sleep the rest of their miserable lives over this

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Crazy. I'm trying to imagine the long-lasting repercussions this will have. Scotland leaving the UK? Northen Ireland?

There's no way Scotland will leave the UK. Prime Minister Boris Johnson will convince them to stay by reminding them that "We're better together... wait, except Europe, fook those cunts". I'm sure the Scots will be won over by his easy charm and professional demeanor.

Replicant

Old (possibly racist) people celebrating:

ClsFvvfUgAE2h1K.jpg

*eyeroll*

Rich!

Especially for the people who have lost their jobs!

/s

I voted remain.

But I'm not going to swear and shout at the people who voted leave about the result. Whatever happens will happen, and it's just something we have to deal with.

Seeing so much hate and vitriol from other remain voters this morning has quite frankly disgusted me. Aren't we better than this?

Izuna

Banned
The depressing thing is the VOTE REMA"IN" TODAY stickers that are on tube door, wet and etched into the pavement. You can spot them every ten metres or so. The remnants of the final defense to our economy.

The devil has won. All in the name of independence, we are no longer in this together.

Re-posting for new thread, this discussion needs to happen to stop the rage and attempt to move forward.

Originally Posted by Flintty
The last 24 hours have been people getting dog piled and branded racist and Xenophobic on Gaf, just for stating they're gonna vote Leave. It has been disgusting.

I have real sympathy for people badly affected by the result, heck I'm likely to be among them. But this is the start of a bumpy road of change which I hope will be for the better.

I'm not going to explain the reasons behind my vote; I know better than to do so on Gaf. People get analytical and nasty and nothing I can say will convince them that I made my vote for the best of reasons, reasons personal to me.

I get that people are hurt but for fucks sake, personal attacks on Leave voters needs to stop.

Personal attacks are arising due to lack of an open discussion. Right now the conversation is very one-sided, with a heavy emphasis on accusations of racism and acknowledgements of market fluctuations.

However, I do believe you are contributing to this aspect by not expressing your reasoning behind it, even in general terms.

Brexit is happening, and the best thing that we can now do is determine why this happened, how the reasoning can be interpreted by the other side, and whether some form of understanding can be established in order to move forward more harmoniously.

Is that just me being naive? I hope not.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Well done Cameron, not only have you fucked up the entire Union but you've empowered all the far-right parties across the world too. He should be fired into the sun.

Oh god. I fucking hope so. Please, please let this be the case.

I think this is literally the last hope for the economy. Why the hell would any company even want to operate here when the public can feel free to squander their money like this? I don't even want to think of what the overall loss of capital for the country was.

Audioboxer

Scotland needs another independence referendum. Once again we do not get what we vote for. 'No' voters were mis-sold promises of EU membership. This is a truly disgusting day for Scottish voters.

Can't disagree. It's more jarring this time though with a 100% yellow graph of Scotland put on a TV screen.

LiK

There's no way Scotland will leave the UK. Prime Minister Boris Johnson will convince them to stay by reminding them that "We're better together... wait, except Europe, fook those cunts". I'm sure the Scots will be won over by his easy charm and professional demeanor.

Haha, love this

I know absolutely nothing on the subject (American here), so like every curious George, I Googled. And came upon an article:

Welp

so yeah

Cameron may have just tanked the global economy (and definitely just tanked the UK economy & political union) all because he didn't want to lose a fucking election

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Seeing so much hate and vitriol from other remain voters this morning has quite frankly disgusted me. Aren't we better than this?

Right, aren't we all one people, a fraternity of equals working together for a better world? Can't believe anyone would try to divide us with angry and emotional rhetoric? I totally agree.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
For someone who doesn't live in Europe and barely manages his own financial wealth properly, can someone ELI5 the good and the bad?

good - people were able to democratically show that the majority of brit voters are idiots

bad - either EU shafts britain to make an example of them, Britain destroys the EU as other countries begin to split off, or both, with all the negative global ramifications that will ensue from that

pbsapeer

Banned
I voted remain, I feel depressed, I am crying right now, the result is a disaster. A campaign built on racism and lies has won.

I am honestly considering moving to Ireland before this takes effect, we have a two year transitional window.
I'll join you. Ireland is the place to be right now.

I'm stunned the news before seemed to present this result as highly unlikely.

But this is democracy, even if you don't like the end result.

Reposting from last thread since thread was closed.

nAk3fya.jpg

It was bound to happen tbh after the insane Paris attacks. People are scared and fear wins.

The funny thing is that the British have had south asian (or Pakistani) imimigrants for decades now. Three generations born and raised in the U.K so they should be used to them. They should know not all muslims are evil. But nope, they let ISIS win.

You guys can come to the U.S. Queen Hillary's got your back.

Yeah it's perfectly valid to bring up racism/xenophobia. Clearly it was a motivating factor.

If Boris Johnson takes power I am packing up and leaving, he cannot be trusted with that kind of power and influence.

KingBroly

Banned
Of course, I'm just saying this next week is going to be a momentous one in economic turmoil. It will probably be a record setting week in a very, very bad way.

I have a hard time seeing it topping 07. Maybe because it started here makes me a bit biased, but I feel like that one really turned things on its' ear.

Looks like the EU wants a quick Brexit:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/albertonar...happen-quickly?utm_term=.mveBVGJWp#.hwYje9N8A

European Union leaders will deliver a stark message to Britain on Friday morning that while they are sorry the UK has voted to leave, the separation must now happen quickly.

Senior EU government officials have told BuzzFeed News that the response to the vote is designed to make clear sign that rest of the Europe is unwilling to let the Brexit process fester or to agree any new concessions for Britain.

Asked about the possibility of further concessions from the EU, one senior official said: “What would concessions mean? ‘Please do stay, we’ll let you blackmail us anytime you see fit?’”

Donald Tusk, the president of the European Council, is expected to speak on Friday morning after UK prime minister David Cameron has addressed the nation. Sources say that his message could be summarised as: “Life goes on”.

This is the vote that people wanted, and we have to respect that. We will have to live the consequences.

But it feels quite dishonest to huge decisions like this up to people who have been frightened and manipulated. The impacts will shake the world.

painey

it's like a car crash where everyone is bleeding to death, and you're in the car.. and half the passengers are cheering

Mr.Mike

I feel like the UK has succeeded in greatly reducing how much control they have over their own fate now. The EU will continue to be incredibly important and influential to the UK, economically and otherwise, and the UK just gave up their say in EU policy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom