• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sblargh

Banned
How do you vote for a worst economy? This is blowing my mind right now.
Despite all the immigration worries, I would think people's selfishness over jobs would prevail.

JordanN

Banned
Jesus Christ, this may be the years where we have a divided EU and Trump as president.

Jesus H. Christ.

It's all coming together now.

1OfrqV4.png

It's a joke

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Heh. I work in a hotel, and just had a british couple check out, they were looking at the tv in the lobby (Portuguese news channel) and since its Portuguese I said "the exit won if you're wondering" and the lady goes "oh I know, its wonderful isnt it? Well...I mean..."

I assume the "well I mean..." was when she realised she was not in the UK, she was in fact in a EU country lol

And yes it was a elderly couple.

Kabouter

Like I said in the other thread, I am deeply saddened by this. Unlike many these days, I am a strong supporter of the European project and its original purpose. I want a united, peaceful and prosperous Europe. The EU right now is far from perfect, but its mere existence is such an important achievement that we should not leave when it gets hard, we should work hard to reform and improve it. We should cherish the fact that Europe after the bloodiest war in human history finally chose cooperation with each other over being adversaries, completely breaking with the historical trend. I really hope the rest of Europe doesn't decide to throw it away as well. I seek no return to (ethno-)nationalism. I hope everyone comes around to believing that we really can be stronger together than we can ever hope to be apart.

As far as the relationship with the UK goes, I hope the EU decides to be firm but fair. If the UK wants common market access, they should get it on the condition of accepting free movement. If they do not want free movement (as seems likely), they should not get common market access but should still be treated as friends.

The left wing in the UK can either:

1. Fix their poor policies of immigration and integration.

or:

2. Call everyone racist and uneducated, and thus continue to chase potential moderates into the arms of true far-right groups.

Seeing how the thread is going, I fear I know which way this will go. Hopefully, the left in my own country doesn't use the same poor politics when attempting to defeat Trump.

AHA-Lambda

This is the vote that people wanted, and we have to respect that. We will have to live the consequences.

Ok I am angry and in the heat of the moment right now but no

No

No I do not need to respect the opinion of a swathe of people who were lied to, and were largely racist and nationalistic chest thumpers

Everyone's entitled to their opinion, it doesn't make it right

Hilarious that Wales voted out.

Wales, along with Cornwall, had a load of money invest in their own languages directly by the EU. The UK government never contributed anything like that.

So how's ScotGAF and NIGAF holding up? If I was reading the votes right Scotland pretty much voted to remain.

Annoyed, sad and confused.

Northern Ireland independence with ROI and Scotland as trade partners is my new plan.

Coffinhal

This is further evidence that Donald Trump has a high chance of winning in November.

Two completely different electoral populations, two completely different electoral systems, two completely different type of votes, two completely different continental political systems, two completely different political histories, two completely different matters at stake during the campaign, obviously two different campaigns...but still, our Ph.D in Politics experts of gaf can read the future.

Drumpf to you.

You know 15 million people voted remain. I can understand feeling angry at this point, though it's worse for us actually in the UK :)
Sounds like a low turnout ?

My biggest concern here, is that if this causes a domino effect and everyone starts to vote and leave, we might loose the peace and comfort EU has provided for us...

Tak3n

Banned
so if Gaf's opinion really that 17 million people are racist for voting leave? I dont believe that for a second

Unconfirmed Member
It's surprising that the betting markets were way off despite the large amount of bets placed. Remain were clear favourites at the beginning of the count yesterday. I suspect a lot there were a large number of leave voters who were not confident of succeeding so put on a bet on remain to at least salvage something from the referendum.

Torokil

Is this the beginning of the end of the EU? I don't know much about European politics but once the ball starts rolling...

I can't see why Scotland would want to leave the UK in order to join the EU when doing so would mean leaving a FTA with its largest trade partner (by some way) and joining a bloc which it's main trading partner just left.

It won't be the end of the world for sure, but we should prepare for some serious economical and political turmoil.

Question to IrishGAF: Are there any serious moves to follow UK out considering the close trade relations to England? There was an article in a German paper about a year ago or so that had such an analysis as a possible next step.
(My wife and I thought about buying a house there for our retirement, but only would do this if they are staying n the EU.)

So it usually seems like when a political decision goes in a direction I find appalling, it's because someone somewhere profits a lot off of said decision and found a marketing angle to work up support for it.

I can't figure out if that's the case here. Is there anyone at all anywhere that makes more money as a result of it? Is the core driving force at the top level of the Leave side literally just ideological opposition to the EU? And then that ideological opposition synched up with anti-immigration fear and produced votes? There's not like, a noteworthy set of wealthy brits who fund this stuff with some policy goals that were being blocked off by EU membership?

No I'm not British. Yes this is the first attention I've paid to the issue. Terribly sorry but I had to ask.

Aiii

So not worth it
Pound already plummeting, sorry importers amongst you.

Bad move this, but I feel this will be short experiment.

kizito

Congratulations UK, I think that leaving UE was a good decision, and while the first months are going to be complicated, you'll be proven to be right in the future. I would just like it if Belgium did the same but I know it's not going to happen anytime soon.

This is further evidence that Donald Trump has a high chance of winning in November.

Oh, did uneducated white males suddenly become a majority of the electorate here?

No? Well, then there's no connection between the Brexit and Trump's possible success.

Super curious how quick Cameron invokes Article 50. Would be amazing to see if the UK government has enough manpower to renegotiate over 50 international trade and political deals in 2 years.

Abraxas

Nigel Farage, the Ukip leader, has told ITV’s Good Morning Britain that he thought it was a mistake for the Vote Leave campaign to say that it could save £350m a week by leaving the EU and that the money could go to the NHS.

This just keeps getting better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom