• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.

nubbe

zs1ggMf.jpg

4Bb19uQ.jpg

As you look around you at how politicians scramble to stymie the money haemorrhaging from the economy and desperately attempting to get trade deals with EU countries even half as good as we had, remind yourself of one thing:

It didn't need to be this way.

mreddie

Nick Robinson ✔ @bbcnickrobinson
The future unlikely to be as bad as Remain forecast nor as good as Leave did. Truth is no one knows. This is a massive step into unknown

Now its decided its imperative that people do their best to get on board, its over, there is no going back.

The future is unknown my ass.

Kabouter

No enemy outside of the UK could have even hoped to have done as much damage to the UK as it did to itself tonight.

So... if the UK wants to get back into the EU in a couple years time, is that even possible? And would they be penalized significantly for it?

The EU would probably welcome them back, but of course the UK would lose its rebate, would have to adopt the Euro and so on.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
England is technically still in the EU and the pound is crashing, time to buy some goods? They going to need all the money they can get now.

Lime

I'm so very sad this morning.

Scotland are off.
Border controls will appear between north and southern Ireland
The economy will crash
Inflation will rise
Interest rates will rise
Public services will be cut

Oh my :(

don't forget the racists in both UK and Europe will feel empowered and motivated

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
let the rest of the world learn from Britain's future mistakes

The problem here is that the negative implications of this will take some time to manifest. in the meantime, similar movements in other EU countries will gain steam because of today's result.

I'm not a fan of pure democracy, but this is what it is, the people voted. Obviously there were more people dissatisfied with current situation than were not.

This is a sign that something needed to change.

People voting out of fear, as they did here, is not in the best interest of the country or themselves. Complex matters such as this should not be held to referendum.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I'm genuinely worried about my country now. I'm not English or Welsh or Scots or Ireland; my family is a proper mix from all the United Kingdom's constituents plus a dash of Commonwealth. I am British, and a European Briton at that. I think it is close to certain that Scotland leaves now, and that the United Kingdom ends. And that's the end of my country, my nation, a part of my sense of self and sense of my community. I'm just crushed.

Is democracy inherently flawed in that the ignorant majority can dictate the future of a country and go against half of the population?
Well it was a 72% turnout so neither side can claim to be majority to be frank.

But yes this is the dark side of democracy is it gives equal voice to all people like all voices are equal including that ones with their "incorrigible stupidity" (seriously in the last thread we knew of people voting leave because of the Eurovision and not liking African immigrants claiming the EU gives then an easy entry...and those opinions converted into a vote are of equal measure...).

Durante

I can't say I'm unhappy about this.
The UK never felt like part of the EU anyway, not in terms of traveling there, and not in terms of currency.
And I never understood why researchers in the UK get almost twice as much money per person from EU-funded projects than most mainland countries :p

so if Gaf's opinion really that 17 million people are racist for voting leave? I dont believe that for a second

I believe a lot of them were tricked into thinking their problems were due to immigration when in fact it was deep and unflinching austerity.

The left wing in the UK can either:

1. Fix their poor policies of immigration and integration.

or:

2. Call everyone racist and uneducated, and thus continue to chase potential moderates into the arms of true far-right groups.

Seeing how the thread is going, I fear I know which way this will go. Hopefully, the left in my own country doesn't use the same poor politics when attempting to defeat Trump.

Leftists had not understood yet their radical behaviour has been fueling the far right for many years. If they had been moderate, none of this would be happening now.

Heartfyre

Question to IrishGAF: Are there any serious moves to follow UK out considering the close trade relations to England? There was an article in a German paper about a year ago or so that had such an analysis as a possible next step.
(My wife and I thought about buying a house there for our retirement, but only would do this if they are staying n the EU.)

Every political party of any size in Ireland supports the EU. There's practically zero taste for leaving, despite everything that happened in the last decade. You can't swing a cat here without hitting something that was funded by the EU, and we know it.

Mr. Sam

Cameron cannot possibly stay. A prime minister can't call and lose a vote of this magnitude.

Our new political overlords: Farage, Boris, Gove, Grayling, IDS, Liam Fox, George Galloway.

Chilling.

Even as a supporter of his, I think Corbyn needs to resign too.

Jezbollah

I'm so very sad this morning.

Scotland are off.
Border controls will appear between north and southern Ireland
The economy will crash
Inflation will rise
Interest rates will rise
Public services will be cut

Oh my :(

And who will be the ones shouting loudest at the protests/riots that follow?

Those who voted Leave yesterday.

CassSept

The pound is weakest since 1985, phew.

I'm sorry for those who voted remain. I hope those who voted leave will enjoy Britain's slide into irrelevancy and destabilizing the entire region.

Chakan

Pretty good text about this whole situation.

UK’s vote to leave EU sends shockwaves but is not the end of the world

The UK’s vote to leave the European Union (EU) has clearly weakened the near-term outlook for the UK and global economies. But we still think that it will ultimately prove to be less damaging than many estimates have suggested.

The estimated result at the time of writing of a 52%/48% victory for the Leave camp is a substantial surprise, particularly after the recent swing in the opinion polls back towards Remain. The widespread assumption that the majority of undecideds would plump for the status quo was clearly wrong. The market response to the outcome has been predictably negative, with the pound dropping by some 10% or so to a 30-year low of $1.34 at the time of writing. We’ve suggested before that it could drop as far as $1.20.

The outcome clearly creates considerable short-term uncertainty which is likely to weigh on the UK economy in the coming quarters. Business confidence will presumably drop sharply for a while and doubts will surround David Cameron’s position. Meanwhile, the firm vote for Remain in Scotland will fuel speculation of a second Scottish Independence referendum.

Nonetheless, we maintain the view that the ultimate damage will be rather smaller than some of the more pessimistic projections have suggested. After all, the UK will remain inside the EU for at least two years and possibly longer. This will allow time to clear up some uncertainties, not least over the UK’s future trading relationship with the remainder of the EU and rest of the world. Meanwhile, although sterling’s decline will lift inflation (albeit from a very low level), it should also help to protect the export sector. There are parallels here with the UK’s exit from the ERM in 1992.

At the same, the policymakers’ emphasis will shift from trying to influence the outcome of the vote to cushioning its impact. The Bank of England’s Monetary Policy Committee is likely to look through the inflationary consequences of the drop in the pound and either keep policy very loose for longer or loosen it further. A cut in interest rates and an expansion of the Bank’s quantitative easing programme are both possible, as well as co-ordinated action with other central banks to maintain liquidity and smooth currency movements. Meanwhile, we very much doubt that Chancellor George Osborne will carry out his widely-derided threat to tighten fiscal policy in a post-Brexit emergency Budget. We have provisionally shaved our forecast for UK GDP growth in 2016 from just above 2% to 1.5%, implying little growth in the second half of the year but no full-blown recession. For now, we expect a similar growth rate next year.

Elsewhere, while the direct economic impact on other parts of the world should be limited, business and investor confidence will presumably weaken in the near term, particularly in Europe. As such, we expect the European Central Bank to provide additional policy support, possibly even in the form of its as yet unused Outright Monetary Transactions (OMTs) programme. Tighter monetary policy in the US may also be further delayed.

In the markets, risky assets are clearly likely to suffer initially, and already are. Meanwhile, industrial commodities may weaken, while gold will probably benefit further. In time, the dust will settle and global markets will presumably re-focus on key issues such as the strength of China and the timing and pace of Fed tightening. However, the episode could have longer-lasting effects on the European economy and markets if anti-EU parties elsewhere receive a boost and other countries’ voters demand their own referendums, raising fundamental questions over the future stability of the EU and euro-zone.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
And I never understood why researchers in the UK get almost twice as much money per person from EU-funded projects than most mainland countries :p

My scientist friends in the UK must be freaking out right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom