• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Ungodly Creatures Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baker

Banned
daw840 said:
Holy shit they are inhabiting fresh water now?!?!?!?!?

http://www.environmentalgraffiti.com/featured/10-most-diabolical-fish-on-earth/8156

The body of this fish is built for speed and power; and with its scaly armour, pointed fins, and conspicuous need for a brace even when its mouth is shut, the Tigerfiish is highly prized as a game fish. Found in freshwater across Africa, the Tigerfish will chomp on practically any fish that strays into its path using strong jaw muscles and dagger-like teeth that mesh together like the Piranha’s. It’s even reputed to take on prey as big or much bigger than itself; added reason to stay out of the water. Fishermen have a healthy respect for the Goliath Tigerfish, a monster uniquely adapted to the Congo River that the National Geographic recently described as an example of “evolution on steroids”. Make that evil-lution on steroids.

Asian Giant Hornet:

asian-giant-hornet1.jpg

CTLance

Heh. I dunno why anyone would be scared of the palm thief. The only thing that's dangerous about it is its habit of climbing up trees and rummaging noisily through coconuts, sometimes dropping them on unsuspecting bystanders - and its freakish pincer strength. When I met them as a kid they were pretty slow-moving things, minding their own business and searching for food most of the time. Blind as a bat too, but pretty apt at sniffing out "treats" in trashcans and everywhere else.
It's not like these guys sprint around on the hunt for juicy gaffers to rip to shreds. Leave some food or trash out and chances are they'll amble closer, eat as much as they can and drag the rest away into their holes to eat it later, but that's all.

Oh, and those long-legged spider crabs... they are delicious. I don't know if these particular ones are tasty, but when I was in Sri Lanka as a kid I gorged myself on them. They had a way of preparing them by mixing the flesh with spices and stuff and boiling (?) it inside the cleaned-out body carapace that was simply mouthwatering. I just wish my parents had gotten hold of the recipe. :(

Speaking of Sri Lanka, we had water scorpions and needle bugs in the pool. Freaked me out a bit at first.
Not my pictures. They're underwater creatures that breathe air through tubes sprouting out of their asses. Yeah.
2s7gluc.jpg

Just look at him. A face only a mother could love.
fjku36.jpg

...on the other hand, there are nearly no bugs that look "cute" from close up.

Needlebugs look less dangerous, but might still creep out some people.
t018i0.jpg

They're quite harmless, but I could've sworn one of the fuckers bit me. It paid dearly for his dastardly assault on a superior species, inflating my ego quite a bit for the next few days. Heh.

CENOBITE

My favorite... the Mantis Shrimp, otherwise known by divers as the "Thumb Splitter" aka most evil shrimp ever (because its hits can split bone). What's better is you can have one as a pet!

mantis-shrimp-791419.jpg

mantis_shrimp_claw.jpg

Odontodactylus%20scyllarus%20mantis%20shrimp%20%20Fiji.jpg

Video of 'Baraka' the mantis shrip beating the everloving crud out of a crayfish:

watch

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
thats not even fair. that crayfish was getting double teamed!

Retro

daw840 said:
OMG. will someone please make me an avatar from that horrified fish? Please. I beg of you.

No, you have an awesome avatar already.

CENOBITE said:
My favorite... the Mantis Shrimp

Fuckers can break aquarium glass. My brother spent the better part of a week snuffing out one of them that hitched a ride on some live rock. They are pure evil.

123rl

Uncle said:
But they are so small. Search for botfly larvae if you want to see some proper skin tunneling action.

NO!!! DO NOT SEARCH FOR THIS! It will haunt your dreams forever. Botflies are disturbing in so many ways. Fuck botflies!

CTLance

Nematodes are great stuff, both from a scientific point of view and in their ability to gross people out. My biology prof loved them. There are so many differend kinds, some can only be seen under a microscope, some can easily reach one meter or more. Some are parasites, others predators....

There's even a theory that they're the real reason the staff of Aesculapius has a snake twisted around it.

30icldk.gif

See that bit where the worm pokes out of the foot in step four? You grab that worm end and wrap it around a stick. And for the next few days you pull it out sloooooowly using the stick, a few centimeters per day. Can take up to a few weeks if you're unlucky. I won't post a pic, go here or here if you want to see a foot with a piece of worm hanging out. Sicko.

Now if that isn't an ungodly creature I don't know what is.

Parasites in general make for great reading. Nothing for people with weak stomachs though. Some of that stuff is disgusting, to say the least. But it's also fascinating material.

JimmyV

Banned
idahoblue said:
Dude, you left out the best Coconut crab image:

2m5jlhs.jpg

And yeah, fuck those goblin sharks, they're like the mouth snappers in Aliens. Fuck that right off.

If I was walking along, and I came around the garbage can to see this, I'd scream like such a bitch that people within a 2 mile radius would need a hearing check-up. Then I'd run for my life.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Wallach said:
FUCK the entire ocean, I swear to god. What's even worse is that there is still a ton of life down there that we have never discovered. You know why Cthulhu sleeps beneath the waves? Because fuck the ocean, that's why.

This made me laugh for like 3 minutes.

Great thread.

Zeliard

CENOBITE said:
My favorite... the Mantis Shrimp, otherwise known by divers as the "Thumb Splitter" aka most evil shrimp ever (because its hits can split bone). What's better is you can have one as a pet!

mantis-shrimp-791419.jpg

mantis_shrimp_claw.jpg

Odontodactylus%20scyllarus%20mantis%20shrimp%20%20Fiji.jpg

Video of 'Baraka' the mantis shrip beating the everloving crud out of a crayfish:

watch

Awesome, I didn't know this guy has the most powerful eyes of any animal.

This thread's educational, yo.

The Hermit

CENOBITE said:

mantis-shrimp-791419.jpg

Son of a bitch! I´ve been watching videos of this guy, he´s an evil motherfucker!!

CENOBITE

Zeliard said:
Awesome, I didn't know this guy has the most powerful eyes of any animal.

This thread's educational, yo.

Yes. If ever I wanted new eyes implanted, it would be from the mantis shrimp (not really a shrimp, just in name). Jeebus, it can see like PREDATOR.

*Mantis shrimp possess hyperspectral colour vision, allowing up to 12 colour channels
*from ultra-violet to infra-red.
*The species Gonodactylus smithii is the first - and only - organism known to simultaneously detect the four linear, and two circular, polarization components required for Stokes parameters, which yield a full description of polarization. It is thus believed to have optimal polarization vision.

CENOBITE said:

I totally have to get one of these things!! I love mantis (used to have one as a pet in middle school), and shrimp is one of my favorite foods so it only makes sense!! :D

Edit: I don't have the time to take care of salt water creatures, so I guess it will have to wait. : (

Baker

Banned
Why are a lot of people freaked out by those big crabs? Is it just something I don't understand because I live in the middle of the country far, far way from any coastline?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom